As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I missed this yesterday. Preview article about the Starhawk:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/11/19/rebel-might/

oh h*ck
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I love that ship.
    I cannot justify it as a purchase however

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I can't tell, but based on the preview with the VSD it seems smaller than I expected?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

I'm over the moon for these ships, really pleased with the artist's work.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Wow, Freakin awesome!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Yeah, those are really great!

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How does this generally play, compared to like Battlefleet Gothic, my only point of comparison.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    How does this generally play, compared to like Battlefleet Gothic, my only point of comparison.

One of the things I like about Armada is that it has a pretty strict turn limit. Each game is 6 rounds, and that's it, so you need to do what you need to do within that time period. That, and each game has a different mission - you pick a mission template alongside your fleet, and your opponent does the same, and the player who wins initiative gets to set the terms of the battle (Defending a Starbase vs. Assassinate a High-Profile Target vs. ... etc.).

Does BF:G do something similar?

Bfg also has the turn limit. It's been a while so I'm not sure how missions where chosen, there were different options for that.

How's the turn sequence in armada? Battlefleet was classic I go you go, only with torpedoes and fighter/bomber squadrons moving in both player turns.

edited May 2020
    I go, you go, all capital ships go first: attack, then move. Movement is done with a special movement tool, and ships have varying speeds and maneuverabilities (and, generally, the slower you're going the faster you can turn).

Capital ships have to be issued an order each round; the bigger the ship, the more in-advance you issue the order (e.g., for a major capital ship like an ISD, you issue the orders for the first three turns of the game before it starts; you issue the order for turn 4 at the start of turn 2, etc.). The orders do things like let you repair damage, boost attacks, increase your maneuverability, or command nearby fighters / bombers ("squadrons"). You can store orders for later, if the one you programmed isn't useful this turn, for a lesser effect.

Fighters / bombers go last, I go, you go, 2 at a time. Squadrons attack or move, but not both, and can block other squadrons' movement. Squadrons can be activated early, during the cap ship portion of the round, if you've issued that ship a "Command the squadrons!" order (which also allows them to move and attack).

EDIT: Quick play / learn to play rules: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/fe/95/fe95988e-2cfb-42b6-8546-2470ff86da58/swm01_learn_to_play_web_ready_engcompressed.pdf

Full rulebook: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/25/29/252933c1-4f13-4bfd-858f-b0a3ff3a6754/swm01_rules_reference_guide_web_ready_eng.pdf

Elvenshae on
    edited May 2020
    Cool, thank you. The order system sounds interesting.
    Looking at the quickstart rules, there also seem to be a lot more cards and accessories, while BFG mostly just has terrain and a unversal marker for turning and weapon arches.

honovere on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's a FFG game so tokens, cards, and specialized dice are the standard. Still a super fun game, I prefer it over X-Wing by a wide margin.

If you want BFG 2.0 you should look into Dropfleet Commander. Andy Chambers also wrote the rules.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    I'm not against tokens and cards per se, but not a fan of the x-wing model where universal options and upgrades are tied to specific boxes.

Yeah, Armada is still pretty much in the same boat as X-Wing, as far as cards and upgrades are concerned. Most ships will come with the cards you'd want to use with them, and the Core Set has a bunch, but there are definitely cases where you'd want to get, e.g., a Rebel ship to get an upgrade for your Imperial ship.

oh h*ck
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Lots of Armada news came out this morning.

First, the preview articles are up.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/7/31/fleet-essentials/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/7/31/conquer-the-galaxy-1/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/7/31/protect-the-republic/

Now onto some meat and potatoes:
    • The starters will be able to field 200 point fleets or so.
    • They will include the same 12 objectives from the base game.
    • All current Armada cards will remain legal.
    • Republic and Separatists can fight against GCW era fleets.
    • There will be rules re-writes. It's not a full on second edition, but they are making changes... which are going to be impactful.
    • For instance, the dials pack will include more pass tokens. Some new mechanic is coming that addresses fleet disparities with that.
    • Speaking of the dials packs, they are changing standalone ship releases going forward. Dials won't be included. Instead they want to front-load dial purchase. The starters will also come with dials of course.
    • All cards will now be templated to standard TCG/LCG size. The ship cards will be double-sided (one focusing on setup, the other on play).
    • Upgrades are getting some new layout bits. To the right of the name will be a symbol that indicates if a card refreshes or not at the end of a turn. If it doesn't refresh, there will be a cost below it - usually discarding a token or dial. On the left side will be components that are placed on a card at the beginning of the game. For instance, Thrawn will start the game with a number of dials on him to hand out.
    • The upgrade card pack includes 290 cards and tokens that go with specialty cards. There will not be any ship cards in the pack. Some cards will get more than 1 copy.
    • They are taking the opportunity of the card upgrade pack to tweak wordings, errata, and most importantly POINT VALUES for cards.
    • Going forward, they are hoping to introduce tournament-play point adjustments. They are still working on that.
    • They also are going to move towards a living rules reference like the other minis games have.
    • All info on the updated rules and upgrade packs will be released before the starters in wave one.

Oh, and the Venator's going to be part of the first wave of ships. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I want all the clone war ships just for the models!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I'm trying to be good and not buy all of these models... But the Clone Wars ones are tempting.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

The fighter upgrade still has two groups of jedi fighters
    Still I would be tempted if I didn't so burned by FFG over star wars

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/11/9/teaming-up/

Preview article focusing mostly on Acclimators and V-19 squadrons.

oh h*ck
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

The fighter upgrade still has two groups of jedi fighters
    Still I would be tempted if I didn't so burned by FFG over star wars

Which Star Wars?

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/special-announcement

So X-Wing, Armada, and Legion are being moved from FFG to Atomic Mass Games. Not sure if this changes anything.

oh h*ck
    edited November 2020
    Turkson wrote: »
    https://www.atomicmassgames.com/special-announcement

So X-Wing, Armada, and Legion are being moved from FFG to Atomic Mass Games. Not sure if this changes anything.

New boxes made. So only changes is that we might get a lot of Wave 2 at clearance along with any Wave 1?

Edit: Meant this for the X-Wing thread and not here. Although guess it is somewhat the same but not waves.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Good LORD the starter boxes for the Clone Wars factions are heavy! Like.. just a ton of punchboard, the move to standard size cards, the full size manual... it's all just very awesome.

Edit: Oooo. Moving to the full-size standard cards as their stopgap to a new version was such a wise move. Getting to see their excellent artwork in a size that you can actually make out details is very baller.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I got both starters, the fighters and the entire upgrade card range.

I'm really happy with this. Selling my Armada is one of the greatest gaming mistakes I have ever made. Now to rebuy only the ships I want as I have all the fun cards for them!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited December 2020
    So how do I go about upgrading my Armada set? I finally have a space to display my ships and figured it might be time to get some of the newer ones, especially the rebel mon-cal cap ships which I only have the first one. Also maybe the super star destroyer.

webguy20 on
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So how do I go about upgrading my Armada set? I finally have a space to display my ships and figured it might be time to get some of the newer ones, especially the rebel mon-cal cap ships which I only have the first one. Also maybe the super star destroyer.

It's not much of a lift. The main thing you need (and that is subjective) is the card collection. It contains all the new versions of the cards, which add new mechanics/clarifications. And some of the old cards are invalidated by it because they weren't republished. The upgrade pack even includes the cards from the SSD set. It does NOT contain the faction cards from the new starters, naturally. The upgrade card pack also includes a small sheet of punchboard with some of the new focus/chaff tokens.

You might also want to pick up a dial pack if you aren't getting a new starter. Previously, ships came with the max # of dials per ship, but it looks like they are cutting those out. Which makes sense as some of the new upgrade cards allow you to stack dials. The biggest unique thing in the dial pack, though, is a set of pass tokens.

For the ships, they are all still valid. They are just switching from single-sided tarot sized cards to double-sided cards with setup info on one side and gameplay on the other.

From there, the living rules reference just covers everything.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/12/1/new-rules-of-engagement/

• TIEHaveTheHighGroundTIEHaveTheHighGround Registered User new member
    And some of the old cards are invalidated by it because they weren't republished.

Specifically Pryce, Bail Organa, and Strategic Advisor.

Because Pryce with two ships was winning too much.

Neat, now that it appears the core trilogy ships are done I can finish up that collection. Not sure if I'll go in on the clone wars ships.

I sort of want that Venator Class for my collection.

oosik_betsuni.png
    INJECT THEM RIGHT INTO MY VEINS.

Today, Atomic Mass Games did an unveiling of their Star Wars stuff, taking over for FFG. For Armada, there was absolutely nothing new that FFG didn't already talk about, sadly. But we got to see the models!

April 16th for the next 4 ships.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Fuck man, I saw "Heart of the Swarm" and momentarily forgot what thread I just clicked on losing my mind over the idea that FFG had gotten the StarCraft license back.

Fuck man, I saw "Heart of the Swarm" and momentarily forgot what thread I just clicked on losing my mind over the idea that FFG had gotten the StarCraft license back.

You know the poor PR person at FFG/AMG (who has been having a hell of a couple years) enjoyed the in-joke.

Man, I cannot find the Armada card update pack anywhere. It appears to be universally sold out. Anyone else have any luck?

edited April 2021
    Y'all can check out the full version of my post over in the 3D printing thread, but I designed a box for some 3D-printed Armada squadron organizers that y'all might enjoy:
    n2n3aymc88ah.jpg
    7buwnwpwikzu.jpg
    tunbsmkit3ks.jpg

In addition to Republic and Separatist logos, what other lid decorations would y'all like to see?

Elvenshae on
    I have not seen the new ships at all :(

Mother of God, those squadron bays are amazing.

Like.. I still am doing the papercraft boxes, but I'm waiting for Sir Willi to upload his latest work (he's getting caught up on X-wing). But admittedly that box looks like it could be more compact and easier to use.