As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Titan's stasis really seems to stink. Another wall you cant shoot through? I'm not sure what a titan should get, but I was thinking more around throwing a nade, having spikes impale enemies in a more scattered formation? That way you still get cover, it still freezes, but you can get more use out of blowing up the ice?

I hate the melee, anything that resets on a miss is a bad time when its such a long cooldown. But I pretty much hate all the melee on titan. At least you can make buffing sunspots with the solar setup.

steam_sig.png
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Kanden wrote: »
    Oh man, I knew about the 60 fps, but apparently crucible is going to be able to hit 120 on series x.

So is this destiny with the latest xpac? I might have a route to a series x and don't have anything to play really that's x optimised.

Then again I don't think my tv has hdmi 2.1 so not sure I'm gonna get the full series x experience

Anyone?

the game will be getting a free next gen update next month. the 120FPS mode will be part of that.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Oh man, I knew about the 60 fps, but apparently crucible is going to be able to hit 120 on series x.

So is this destiny with the latest xpac? I might have a route to a series x and don't have anything to play really that's x optimised.

Then again I don't think my tv has hdmi 2.1 so not sure I'm gonna get the full series x experience

Anyone?

the game will be getting a free next gen update next month. the 120FPS mode will be part of that.

Sorry I meant the game pass part. Is it on game pass with all the dlc or is it missing the newest dlc?

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The choice of Stasis seems like a mistake to me. It did before release and it still does now I've gotten to use it.

In one way it's cool becasue it's new and different from the old elemental subclasses but in every other way it seems bad.

Spoilers for early campaign dialog (very minor spoilers anyone could guess, probably, but just in case):
    The Stranger plays up how the Darkness tempts and wants you to give in to your urges but stasis isn't a terribly tempting ability. When The Darkness Beckons I sigh internally because I know I'm going to end up having a meh time. My grenade isn't useful to spam and my super feels like I'd be happier if I could bust out a to-level Loaded Question.

The lore and some of the dialog plays up how Darkness == Chaos but ice powers are literally the opposite.

I feel like our first brush with Darkness powers should have had a lot more bang. I have no idea what, considering how explodey/zappy the existing classes are, but something that feels like playing with fire. Tearing apart reality to destroy the enemy and endangering yourself at the same time.

Given the rumors that we'll be getting more Darkness subclasses (which seems obviously, really) I'm betting there's one in the works using Hive green fire. Probably with lots of swords. I think that would've been a better choice for our first Darkness class.

But maybe it's subtler than that and the relatively banality of Stasis is the Darkness trying to lure us in by saying, "Hey, look, I'm mostly a utility! Nothing super dangerous here!"

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Anyone?

Sorry I meant the game pass part. Is it on game pass with all the dlc or is it missing the newest dlc?

It’s has the new expansion, but not the season pass, and there’s no way to buy the season, or season pass, on their own.

So you can play the expansion, buy you’ll only have access to the basic reward path.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Seems like the whole thing is there, I was on the xbox earlier doing stuff and own it on PC, not Xbox where I have gamepass.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Some more Stasis PvP impressions:

All stasis grenades are effectively one hit kills, they do damage and disable you long enough for anyone to easily clean up the kill.

Hunter stasis seems fun but mostly flash and not much to show for it. Some neat zone control stuff but not worth the effort IMO.

Warlock stasis is basically bullshit. They have a stasis melee that freezes making it an effective OHKO and incredibly anti-super ability. Their super has range to beat all other supers, so its a decent roaming super that shuts down every other super.

Titan stasis is pretty weak, melee is weird and the super is mediocre. The melee does have a strong knockback based on charge hold / duration, so although the melee isn't very good it is extremely satisfying to launch yourself halfway down a hallway and tag a sniper and then have them bounce against a wall and die from impact. If the melee was faster / had better tracking / had better control it would be useful, for now its fun 1 / 10 times it works like you want and most a way to get yourself killed the other 9 / 10.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    I just finished the main quest on my Warlock, and have my new class.

Does anyone know if you have to play the entire campaign with your other 2 characters ?

Or is there a skip function ?

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    The choice of Stasis seems like a mistake to me. It did before release and it still does now I've gotten to use it.

In one way it's cool becasue it's new and different from the old elemental subclasses but in every other way it seems bad.

Spoilers for early campaign dialog (very minor spoilers anyone could guess, probably, but just in case):
    The Stranger plays up how the Darkness tempts and wants you to give in to your urges but stasis isn't a terribly tempting ability. When The Darkness Beckons I sigh internally because I know I'm going to end up having a meh time. My grenade isn't useful to spam and my super feels like I'd be happier if I could bust out a to-level Loaded Question.

The lore and some of the dialog plays up how Darkness == Chaos but ice powers are literally the opposite.

I feel like our first brush with Darkness powers should have had a lot more bang. I have no idea what, considering how explodey/zappy the existing classes are, but something that feels like playing with fire. Tearing apart reality to destroy the enemy and endangering yourself at the same time.

Given the rumors that we'll be getting more Darkness subclasses (which seems obviously, really) I'm betting there's one in the works using Hive green fire. Probably with lots of swords. I think that would've been a better choice for our first Darkness class.

But maybe it's subtler than that and the relatively banality of Stasis is the Darkness trying to lure us in by saying, "Hey, look, I'm mostly a utility! Nothing super dangerous here!"
    The problem is the game keeps having characters tell you how scary and terrifying and tempting the Darkness is, but it's completely unconvincing.

Shadowkeep was miles better at that, and Shadowkeep wasn't great. It's teaching me to do my best never to get hyped about Destiny (in game) story ever again.

august wrote: »

The problem is the game keeps having characters tell you how scary and terrifying and tempting the Darkness is, but it's completely unconvincing.

Shadowkeep was miles better at that, and Shadowkeep wasn't great. It's teaching me to do my best never to get hyped about Destiny (in game) story ever again.

I was gonna click agree but...
    The Darkness story in Beyond Light isn't super sensible or compelling but the in-game story (so far; I just beat the Technocrat) is great for the Fallen. I was disappointed about having another Fallen Big Bad after Forsaken because it felt like such a non-event after the fact but all of the in-game stuff is great. The Fallen finally feel like they're being treated like what they are - us but for whatever stroke of luck kept the Traveler from fleeing.

Eramis is an actually interesting villain. Variks would probably side with her if he weren't such a Traveler zealot. We finally know that "The Whirlwind" really was the Eliksni equivalent to The Collapse in that it was the arrival of the Darkness, not some unrealted thing with the Hive.

But yeah, the Darkness isn't very believable or even consistent. When the pyramid ship on the moon woke up it populated the whole moon with both Nightmares and weird shadow ghost things. I ain't seen a single one of either on Europa.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Eramis is a lot easier when you have 3 people shooting at her rather than 1

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Anyone?

It’s has the new expansion, but not the season pass, and there’s no way to buy the season, or season pass, on their own.

So you can play the expansion, buy you’ll only have access to the basic reward path.

That’s not true you can buy the season on its own

I did so

Just get silver and buy it

616610-1.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

The Darkness story in Beyond Light isn't super sensible or compelling but the in-game story (so far; I just beat the Technocrat) is great for the Fallen. I was disappointed about having another Fallen Big Bad after Forsaken because it felt like such a non-event after the fact but all of the in-game stuff is great. The Fallen finally feel like they're being treated like what they are - us but for whatever stroke of luck kept the Traveler from fleeing.

Eramis is an actually interesting villain. Variks would probably side with her if he weren't such a Traveler zealot. We finally know that "The Whirlwind" really was the Eliksni equivalent to The Collapse in that it was the arrival of the Darkness, not some unrealted thing with the Hive.

But yeah, the Darkness isn't very believable or even consistent. When the pyramid ship on the moon woke up it populated the whole moon with both Nightmares and weird shadow ghost things. I ain't seen a single one of either on Europa.
    Eramis and her crew are cool individually. The idea that they are being "corrupted" is incredibly unconvincing though, due to our interactions with most Fallen up to this point. They are cool Fallen with ice powers.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Eramis and her crew are cool individually. The idea that they are being "corrupted" is incredibly unconvincing though, due to our interactions with most Fallen up to this point. They are cool Fallen with ice powers.
    Cool as ice in otherwords?

I think the "Eramis is being corrupted by the Darkness!" angle works better if you assume it's actually just Variks' zealotry clouding his judgement. She's using the tools available to her to save her people. It's no different from what Fireteam Exerifter is up to.

The problem with the story is that it's played straight and we're meant to buy into the whole Temptation to Chaos angle when we aren't actually shown any temptation. We're already deathless demi-gods. The Darkness would have to be something pretty special to actually tempt us and...it's not, so far.

Every time Ghost starts talking about how he doesn't like us messing with Darkness I'm like, "Lil' buddy, if it weren't for stupid doors we can't unlock and me not having a choice I'd just stick with Electric Jazz Hands and Yeet the Void 'cause those seems to solve more problems than Ice Stick."

Anyone?

I thought this game was done with financial shenanigans. At least that's what I was lead to believe in a different thread..... Got banned from it. Guess this game still is monetizing in a bullshit way. Heard it went f2p, was on xbox game pass, and thought I could just pick up and play it without worrying about spending money.

Anyone?

I thought this game was done with financial shenanigans. At least that's what I was lead to believe in a different thread..... Got banned from it. Guess this game still is monetizing in a bullshit way. Heard it went f2p, was on xbox game pass, and thought I could just pick up and play it without worrying about spending money.

I mean, you can play it for free. If you want 100% of all the stuff you have to pay some cash (I guess; I have no idea how game pass works).

Destiny's monetization model has always been most favorable for people who buy in early and then are willing to make regular, periodic payments for DLC packages. If you want to skip some or buy in late it becomes super weird. I think at this point they'd be better off going month-to-month subscription-based because it's so fucking complicated but I guess they're kinda stuck with the weird periodic-purchase system they've got.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    If you were using Witherhoard when they disabled it, when you switched weapons it looked like you fought with nothing. Happened to me too :x.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).

Anyone?

I mean, you can play it for free. If you want 100% of all the stuff you have to pay some cash (I guess; I have no idea how game pass works).

Destiny's monetization model has always been most favorable for people who buy in early and then are willing to make regular, periodic payments for DLC packages. If you want to skip some or buy in late it becomes super weird. I think at this point they'd be better off going month-to-month subscription-based because it's so fucking complicated but I guess they're kinda stuck with the weird periodic-purchase system they've got.

I haven't played it in awhile. Was buying all the expansions, playing it a lot, then got tired of what felt like a grind. Some things said in another thread made me think this game had totally changed.

Might still pick it up again though when I get a series x.

Anyone?

The previous post was incorrect, you can buy the season on its own. Game pass gets you all the expansions, and every 3 months you can drop $10 for the new season pass, with new missions, quests, weapons, gear, and cosmetics.

Crippl3 wrote: »

Anyone?

The previous post was incorrect, you can buy the season on its own. Game pass gets you all the expansions, and every 3 months you can drop $10 for the new season pass, with new missions, quests, weapons, gear, and cosmetics.

This seems pretty fair. I did think they were done with season passes and they just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Nah, they started the season pass system last year, though they have made some changes to it recently to reduce FOMO and increase the rewards they give.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's more accurate to say that you're paying $10 for the season, which has new activities and legendary gear. The pass comes along with it but you aren't paying money for the pass, you're paying for more game content and the pass is part of that.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    So, Beyond Light post campaign stuff.
    once you get the weeklies from the Stranger, there's three bounties to choose from. You can do Strikes, Gambit and Crucible, but only two of the three per week. These award the perks to slot into your subclass. I chose Crucible and Gambit because I like them enough to find them enjoyable, but the PvP requirements are a little wack. One of the challenges is to get 45 Shatter kills. Which means you use an ability or super (or the gun) to freeze someone, then finish them quickly while frozen. It's pretty easy to do against AI, but people? It can be very tricky. I'm almost done with the other requirements but even after focusing most of the night on doing Shatters, I only managed 19/45. Now two nights isn't bad, but this is probably going to get harder as time goes on and become more wary of getting Frozen.

It's not fun

Local H Jay on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Beyond light is entirely justifed by this piece of lore, imho.

It was the morning of the new Crucible season when the shout echoed through the Tower.

Master Rahool flinched, fumbling his engram.

Commander Zavala looked up from his desk.

Kadi 55-30 hurried to steady a haphazard pile of shipments.

In the Hangar, a flock of well-fed pigeons took wing.

"THEY ARE THROWING NEW GRENADES!"

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Peen wrote: »
    It's more accurate to say that you're paying $10 for the season, which has new activities and legendary gear. The pass comes along with it but you aren't paying money for the pass, you're paying for more game content and the pass is part of that.

Is it oneof those passes where if you buy it one time you get enough in game currency to buy it again next season? Those seem pretty popular and fair.

Peen wrote: »

Is it oneof those passes where if you buy it one time you get enough in game currency to buy it again next season? Those seem pretty popular and fair.

No, you get no Silver back in the Pass. You get a bunch of Bright Dust, which is used to buy cosmetics in the shop.

Disrupter wrote: »

Anyone?

That’s not true you can buy the season on its own

I did so

Just get silver and buy it

Crap, I didn’t look in the Eververse store, I only checked the main Microsoft store.

Has anyone found a use for the map in the room next to Varix ?

It’s highlighte-able, but nothing happens when I hold down X to use it.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So, Beyond Light post campaign stuff.
    once you get the weeklies from the Stranger, there's three bounties to choose from. You can do Strikes, Gambit and Crucible, but only two of the three per week. These award the perks to slot into your subclass. I chose Crucible and Gambit because I like them enough to find them enjoyable, but the PvP requirements are a little wack. One of the challenges is to get 45 Shatter kills. Which means you use an ability or super (or the gun) to freeze someone, then finish them quickly while frozen. It's pretty easy to do against AI, but people? It can be very tricky. I'm almost done with the other requirements but even after focusing most of the night on doing Shatters, I only managed 19/45. Now two nights isn't bad, but this is probably going to get harder as time goes on and become more wary of getting Frozen.

It's not fun

I'll agree with this - Way, way, way too grindy. Probably my only real complaint right now with the expansion in general.

Though, you wanna be a dick right now?

Statis Warlock, Claws of Akhamara, as much STR as you can get and stuff like Traveler's chosen. Freezing death bolts all day every day.

I made many invaders Very Sad

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I did the grind to 1200 thing before most of the campaign

and then I threw on witherhoard and had a lot of fun just mowing through things. I did occasionally think "Wow, this is really easy. I wonder if my light level is just making me overpowered for these missions?"

and right after I beat the main part of the campaign, they disabled witherhoard. Whoops! I like the structure of this campaign a lot more than Shadowkeep and Europa is pretty fun to explore so far.

I did find one of those shards not attached to a chest on top of a big slanted building in one area and I couldn't figure out what to do with it. No chest behind it either. But I was able to jump to a gold region chest from it.

Not I. But there's also a desk in the exo-science lab where I had a "Press square to 'Place'" prompt but pressing it didn't do anything obvious.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Not I. But there's also a desk in the exo-science lab where I had a "Press square to 'Place'" prompt but pressing it didn't do anything obvious.

In that tent by the exo stranger there's a prompt for "place" and when I used it
    a big ole gauntlet of armor appears on a little spike that had been sitting on a table. I got an armor chunk thing from a triumph and the icon looked similar, so maybe something like that? I've also seen the place icon in the lab that didn't seem to do anything.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    not even a week in and i'm already getting the benefit of being able to customise your Ghost. so there's a mission you get from Variks that requires you to get 25 materials on Europa(and do some other stuff alongside), and Europe ain't exactly the best patrol zone for just running around grabbing stuff. but what's that? i can slot a mod on my Ghost that will highlight planetary materials? and i have one that shows them from 75-meters away? well lets slot that puppy in and get this shit done!

i'm now thinking about setting up a number of Ghosts so that i can just swap between them based on what activity i'm doing or what my goal might be at a specific moment. A+ change Bungie, you pretty much nailed this one.

not even a week in and i'm already getting the benefit of being able to customise your Ghost. so there's a mission you get from Variks that requires you to get 25 materials on Europa(and do some other stuff alongside), and Europe ain't exactly the best patrol zone for just running around grabbing stuff. but what's that? i can slot a mod on my Ghost that will highlight planetary materials? and i have one that shows them from 75-meters away? well lets slot that puppy in and get this shit done!

i'm now thinking about setting up a number of Ghosts so that i can just swap between them based on what activity i'm doing or what my goal might be at a specific moment. A+ change Bungie, you pretty much nailed this one.

I've already done so for the four main activites. It's a very nice change, and there's some real options to consider - like the chance at Prisms on killing a boss or precision hitsi n crucible.

This is what I've done.

Also, if you crucible or gambit, you can put on a xp mod, and the activity extra reward mod and be drowning in gear !

I also have a glimmer farming ghost, and a mod that adds 65% to glimmer found.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    New Titan stasis is not so great, but that's the base model without any improvements and I'm very much looking forward to what can unlock, but man the melee is a riot. I reflexively punch after shotgunning a lot and had a lot of moments where I was suddenly yeeting across the map because I didn't realize I had my melee up. It's very different from the way any of the other melees work, usually you have to be moving to initiate the yeet, but with this one you can be standing still and then suddenly riding a rocket fist to glory.

It does interact with Dunemarchers in unexpected and delightful ways, I'm still not 100% sure what happened in this clip but I had a few of these kinds of moments and they were great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQSf7BPXlXI

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Taking my time but kind of love wearing blues at the moment.

Shamus wrote: »
    Taking my time but kind of love wearing blues at the moment.

Normally when an expansion comes out I clear my inventory and just let the RNG gods dress me in whatever blue rags they deign to drop until I near the cap. I started off that way with Beyond Light but after the first 10 or so times dying to the first boss I gave up and infused stuff into my old gear so that I could, for example, use more than one grenade per fight. Did they nerf base ability regen at some point recently-ish? Because it feels about as slow as the... Trickle Charge or whatever the NF mod is that makes your abilities not charge... without good stat gear and +stat mods in place.

I guess I could have put added energy and mods to the blues but that seems silly.