As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    I had to check that Khanage hasn't been a Mortal Kombat kharacter at some point.
    It's surely only a matter of time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Edit not chat

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    klemming wrote: »
    I had to check that Khanage hasn't been a Mortal Kombat kharacter at some point.
    It's surely only a matter of time.

Sadiq should adopt the nickname Shao.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable

(Guardian political correspondent)

"2 million miles" is 200 times the amount of actual roads in London, and about 8 times the total length of the entire UK road network.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Glad to see UKIP fostering international relations, even if it is with the Mole People

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    And I can't imagine there would be any difficulty doing extensive underground work in a city that's been inhabited and built on for millennia. Piece of cake, I'm sure.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    And I can't imagine there would be any difficulty doing extensive underground work in a city that's been inhabited and built on for millennia. Piece of cake, I'm sure.

As smooth as crossing rails.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Solar wrote: »
    KHANAGE sounds fucking sick if I was Sadiq Khan I'd use that all the time

That ought be Khanate, shouldn't it? I mean I'm not that surprised this idiot couldn't even be bothered to make an actual historical reference, even though I feel it would work way better for the unsubtly racist and xenophobic rhetoric of their party, though I kind of doubt his supporters would know the difference if he did.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    If im reading that right, that dude thinks 2 million miles of underground roads have already been built! They're just waiting to be opened up for surface dwellers.

But thats like 200 miles for every mile of road in London already. are there multiple layers of these underground roads

Just how deep do these roads go? Are we in danger of awakening Balrogs?

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Given it's UKIP, there is a non-trivial chance that the 2 million miles figure come from some kind of conspiracy theory nonsense about secret underground bunkers for the elite

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    It's not unreasonable that there are old abandoned subterranean tunnels underneath London. Some could perhaps even be used for something.

The existence of 2 million miles of useful tunnels is the fever dream of a madman.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Decidedly not awesome
    UK cyclists are gonna be the first generation Morlocks.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    "We're gonna build a whole new world for ourselves. Look, they clap eyes on us and we're dead, right? So we gotta make a new life where they'll never find us. You know where? Underground!
    You should see it down there - hundreds of miles of drains - sweet and clean now after the rain! Dark, quiet, safe. We can build houses and everything, start again from scratch!
    And what's so bad about living underground eh? It's not been so great living up here, if you want my opinion!"

Take a look around you, at the world we've come to know
    Does it seem to be much more than a crazy circus show?
    But maybe from the madness, something beautiful will grow
    In a brave new world...
    With just a handful of men,
    We'll start- We'll start all over again!

Commander Zoom on
    japan wrote: »
    Given it's UKIP, there is a non-trivial chance that the 2 million miles figure come from some kind of conspiracy theory nonsense about secret underground bunkers for the elite

And which likely misclassified pipes, utility cables, and sewers as a fully occupiable tunnel.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

That ought be Khanate, shouldn't it? I mean I'm not that surprised this idiot couldn't even be bothered to make an actual historical reference, even though I feel it would work way better for the unsubtly racist and xenophobic rhetoric of their party, though I kind of doubt his supporters would know the difference if he did.

"carnage"/"khanage" isn't it

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

"carnage"/"khanage" isn't it

I suppose that works in some accents. Still dumb though.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    eh it's a valid wordplay in any way to say those words I know, the guy is a dickhead either way

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Ah, I see that UKIP have accepted the role of butcher from midnight meat train.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    you're supposed to do it the other way round.
    cars go underground, people stay up top.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Poors go underground, the wealthy above ground.

Like Metropolis.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    Jazz wrote: »
    Poors go underground, the wealthy above ground.

Like Metropolis.

insert quote from Mel Gibson's "Ransom" film here..

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I've been watching videos about cycling transport in the Netherlands, and London would be so perfect for it.

Instead we get these god awful cycle superhighways.

Why do town planners in the UK not use the Netherlands as a model?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    His name

is Gammon.

I know everybody's noticed that, but. Guys.

I've been watching videos about cycling transport in the Netherlands, and London would be so perfect for it.

The standards exist, but local authorities aren't required to use them, so they don't because paint is cheaper than redesigning junctions

Also because building this kind of infrastructure is fiercely resisted by a relatively small but extremely loud contingent of car users, and by the car lobby (which itself has a sympathetic media) which talks about being in favour of cycling infrastructure in principle, provided it never, under any circumstances doesn't favour car users first

It's a brave local authority that decides to buckle down and implement it anyway, and weather the resulting media and protest storm

• Mr.WangtangMr.Wangtang Registered User regular
    It's worth bearing in mind that the Dutch were forced into rebuilding a lot of their city centres after the war and took this as an opportunity to actually plan around how a modern city could work. UK cities have never had rebuilding forced on them to such a scale so any new traffic schemes have always had to fit around the existing layout.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Don't say that we've just started copying the "Dutch style" roundabouts here and they are fucking death traps.

(Also I'm told The Netherlands have started removing them because they are so dangerous)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited November 2020
    It's worth bearing in mind that the Dutch were forced into rebuilding a lot of their city centres after the war and took this as an opportunity to actually plan around how a modern city could work. UK cities have never had rebuilding forced on them to such a scale so any new traffic schemes have always had to fit around the existing layout.

Nope. The Dutch cycling renaissance dates to the 70's oil shocks and mass protests over the number of children killed by cars. Basically black lives matter, but it was Stop de Kindermoord (child murder).

https://youtu.be/XuBdf9jYj7o

moniker on
    As far as I was aware the Netherlands didn't go all in on cycle infrastructure until the 70s, with the protests about child road deaths, I don't think it was a post war restructuring thing

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    His name

is Gammon.

The Twitter account for his campaign is called Gammons4London.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    His name

is Gammon.

The Twitter account for his campaign is called Gammons4London.

They're doing this on purpose. Surely. Surely.

This is a "we're taking it back" thing?

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    They had a recent leader called Richard Braine as well.

Bogart wrote: »
    They had a recent leader called Richard Braine as well.

I mean, it's one way to get people to commit the leader of your tiny, politically irrelevant party to memory.

edited November 2020
    So I just wanted to briefly revisit this post from the last thread
    Entertainingly, there is a pro-monarchy faction within the SNP that maintains that she is "Elizabeth I and II" in a similar vein to James VI and I, on the basis that there has never been an Elizabeth I of Scots, and so she has no right to claim the title of "Elizabeth II" in Scotland.

Because John Nicolson, SNP member of parliament for Ochil and South Perthshire, was congratulating the Queen on her jubilee today

japan on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Glad to see UKIP fostering international relations, even if it is with the Mole People

They prefer being called the lost subterranean tribe of Picts.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Don't say that we've just started copying the "Dutch style" roundabouts here and they are fucking death traps.

(Also I'm told The Netherlands have started removing them because they are so dangerous)

What's wrong with those? I used one that looks like that near Battersea park and it was great as a cyclist.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

What's wrong with those? I used one that looks like that near Battersea park and it was great as a cyclist.

The biggie is that the whole idea is that crossing cycle and pedestrian traffic is supposed to have priority over traffic leaving the roundabout, as at a zebra crossing. So, drivers should yield to pedestrians or cyclists on or approaching the crossing, but many just ... don't

They're nerve wracking in the same way that zebra crossings on NSL roads are: it's a relatively unusual arrangement that relies on the driver of the larger vehicle behaving correctly for them to be safe

Having said that, they are infinitely better than those roundabouts that just have a cycle lane hugging the perimeter inside the boundary of the roundabout, using those is just asking to get left hooked

The biggie is that the whole idea is that crossing cycle and pedestrian traffic is supposed to have priority over traffic leaving the roundabout, as at a zebra crossing. So, drivers should yield to pedestrians or cyclists on or approaching the crossing, but many just ... don't

They're nerve wracking in the same way that zebra crossings on NSL roads are: it's a relatively unusual arrangement that relies on the driver of the larger vehicle behaving correctly for them to be safe

Having said that, they are infinitely better than those roundabouts that just have a cycle lane hugging the perimeter inside the boundary of the roundabout, using those is just asking to get left hooked

They're a bad idea for the same reason putting traffic lights on or just off the exit of a roundabout is. When I first got my licence I'd run those things all the time because I was so busy concentrating on the roundabout whoops I didn't have time to notice the light on the exit has just gone red. It's not a problem for me now but I can totally understand why new (or very old) drivers may not have the experience or reaction times to notice they need to yield at the zebra crossing. It's not just a "lol drivers are dickheads" or that people are trying to mow down pedestrians, it's just a bad design expecting you to be keeping track of people on the crossing while navigating a roundabout.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Senior No 10 source says Dominic Cummings is out by Christmas - after hours of speculation HE tells me 'rumours of me threatening to resign are invented, rumours of me asking others to resign are invented'.

He said 'tonight's rumours that somehow the Brexit negotiations are involved are invented and comical to anybody who knows whats happening in no 10', but when asked about rumours he would quit at Christmas Cummings said 'My position hasn't changed since my January blog' - when he planned to make himself 'redundant' by the end of 2020 - he's off.

This is what he wrote in Jan - 'We want to improve performance and make me much less important — and within a year largely redundant' - here when he was advertising for misfits and weirdos - it's been likely for ages that he would go in next few months as he wrote then but has accelerated dramatically since last night and Cain's departure

Laura K is political editor at the BBC.

Two important things here; firstly that Cummings is apparently definitely leaving before the end of the year, secondly that Laura's "senior number 10 source" is Cummings, surprising no-one

It never ceases to amaze me how Cummings and his planet-sized ego seem to think his blog is some kind of all-powerful, omniscient thing that beams his sacred words right into the heads of the entire population.

Also good of Laura to finally out the motherfucker as his own source.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Jumping out of the plane with his golden parachute, flipping the bird to everyone still trapped onboard. Yeah, sounds right.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.