As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Shamus wrote: »
    Taking my time but kind of love wearing blues at the moment.

Normally when an expansion comes out I clear my inventory and just let the RNG gods dress me in whatever blue rags they deign to drop until I near the cap. I started off that way with Beyond Light but after the first 10 or so times dying to the first boss I gave up and infused stuff into my old gear so that I could, for example, use more than one grenade per fight. Did they nerf base ability regen at some point recently-ish? Because it feels about as slow as the... Trickle Charge or whatever the NF mod is that makes your abilities not charge... without good stat gear and +stat mods in place.

I guess I could have put added energy and mods to the blues but that seems silly.

Yeah I’m just using whatever gear I come upon. Except I upgrade Traveler’s Chosen whenever I get a better kinetic.

I’m not sure about any ability regen nerfs. I haven’t gone against the first boss yet, took a detour to do the new New Light quest line and hang out with Fast & Furious Han.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Oh also I really, really like the Duality. I really like slug shotguns but have gotten screwed numerous times by people up close where the slug just doesn't get the job done. It takes real work to get used to but I only had to get one "slide around a corner, pellet kill a guy, slug precision shot the guy behind him" to be hooked.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    new trailer for Season of the Hunt

https://youtu.be/A32M1Lz9eIY

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Some people are finding inventive spots to use the new Stasis grenade-launcher on.

Owenashi on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wrapped up the main campaign storyline, though it's led into some follow-up stuff.
    There was mention of technology and 'bodies' being moved into the Dark-Fallen's big new city, most of which I haven't actually been too yet. I'm anticipating this will lead into the raid's storyline, and will include the appearance of Exo-Fallen. Maybe even the return of Eramis (Eramis-1?). Presumably the big bad of all this will be Clovis Bray himself in some kind of super huge exo-giant.

Puts me in mind of how the campaign of Forsaken led into the raid, where you got the merest hints of Riven in the campaign storyline only to face the beast herself in the raid.

Only just started the follow-ups, so I'll be looking for any hints that I'm right. Looking forwards to the Season of the Hunt storyline too, hopefully it's at least as good as Arrival's was, i.e. new missions every week (they could stand to be less repetitive though) and the finale is a battle against some seasonal villain.

Not too sure about Stasis spec yet - there's nothing there that really makes me want to stop being a Hunger Warlock. Titan and Hunter versions look a lot more awesome too, I don't really create a lot of ice, I just have a grenade that makes a wall and a super that lets me freeze 2-3 guys at a time before I have to blow them up (otherwise they just thaw). Not exactly the battlefield-freezing lord of winter magic I had hoped. Plus all my gear and mods are set up to make Void specs a lot more potent and survivable.

I'm using Stasis when a quest demands it, but I'm hoping eventually some players will work out some awesome Stasis spec with the right gear that'll make it more attractive.

H9f4bVe.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Some people are finding inventive spots to use the new Stasis grenade-launcher on.

I used it earlier to sneak into Clovis Bray's closed wing and snag the last of the 9 doodads. Makes sneaking out of the map a lot easier, you can jump all over the place now.

Pretty sizeable lore dump today, all about Clovis, Elsie, the Exos and the Vex.

Wraith260 wrote: »

I believe that's the 'torn-out' pages from the Collector's Edition booklet that were hidden in the ARG.

I believe that's the 'torn-out' pages from the Collector's Edition booklet that were hidden in the ARG.

ah, that would make sense. normally the lore posts aren't quite as lengthy. nice of them to put them up on site though.

Anyone tried the reworked Gambit yet? I'm curious to know how well it flows now.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Anyone tried the reworked Gambit yet? I'm curious to know how well it flows now.

I personally hate it, but I never liked Prime

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    so I've been watching this destiny release from the sideline because I have no self control and it seems like Europa is really cool - watching a couple of streamers go through it and the atmosphere is incredible

on the story front though I'm a bit negative
    Maybe it comes off better when you're actually playing the game, but my worst fear for Destiny's storyline has always been that the darkness would become Basically the Dark Side From Star Wars, and that seems like what's happened in Beyond Light. I am very disappoint. I felt like the game NEEDED to have some massive twist about the nature of the light and dark- fuck that was the point of 90% of the lore. What was the point in all this mystery and foreshadowing if it was just going to be the most basic bitch interpretation of the lore possible?

Also on the fallen stuff
    since when did Variks ever give a shit about the Traveler? his thing was always figuring out a way for the Fallen to survive. The lore book leading up to his decision to betray the Awoken was really awesome and turned him into a great character, and it seems like with Beyond Light they couldn't figure out a way to square that with what they wanted him to do so said fuck it and just did it anyway.

the whole Eriamis corruption thing didn't seem to make sense- how was she corrupted? Using the dark, hating the light and guardians all makes perfect sense. Also apparently she was alive at the time of the whirlwind so Fallen are effectively immortal? I don't think that was ever mentioned before. Variks bringing guardians to Europa to save his people makes no sense to me when Guardians are extremely detrimental to a fallen's life expectancy. I feel like the story would have been a lot more effective if Variks either stuck with Eriamis or betrayed her at the very end.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I found what the map is for - I found a stuffed penguin in a cave, and it went where the map is.

There are 9 in total, apparently.

I’ll try a find the rest, but will end up consulting a guide.

No idea where they actually go, though.

I personally hate it, but I never liked Prime

i preferred OG Gambit over Prime too, but i enjoyed the couple of matched i tried today. could do without blockers draining the bank but that's a niggle and maybe it'll force folks to actually deal with them more promptly. the boss fight wasn't as annoying as it was in Prime and respawning Envoys keeps it interesting. so far it actually does seems like a nice balance.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular

It's much better, one round for starters. It's basic gambit but blockers drain your bank like in Prime.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    so I've been watching this destiny release from the sideline because I have no self control and it seems like Europa is really cool - watching a couple of streamers go through it and the atmosphere is incredible

Maybe it comes off better when you're actually playing the game, but my worst fear for Destiny's storyline has always been that the darkness would become Basically the Dark Side From Star Wars, and that seems like what's happened in Beyond Light. I am very disappoint. I felt like the game NEEDED to have some massive twist about the nature of the light and dark- fuck that was the point of 90% of the lore. What was the point in all this mystery and foreshadowing if it was just going to be the most basic bitch interpretation of the lore possible?

Also on the fallen stuff
    since when did Variks ever give a shit about the Traveler? his thing was always figuring out a way for the Fallen to survive. The lore book leading up to his decision to betray the Awoken was really awesome and turned him into a great character, and it seems like with Beyond Light they couldn't figure out a way to square that with what they wanted him to do so said fuck it and just did it anyway.

the whole Eriamis corruption thing didn't seem to make sense- how was she corrupted? Using the dark, hating the light and guardians all makes perfect sense. Also apparently she was alive at the time of the whirlwind so Fallen are effectively immortal? I don't think that was ever mentioned before. Variks bringing guardians to Europa to save his people makes no sense to me when Guardians are extremely detrimental to a fallen's life expectancy. I feel like the story would have been a lot more effective if Variks either stuck with Eriamis or betrayed her at the very end.
    It was supposedly going to be a story about temptation, evil and the cosmic horror of The Darkness and they didn't put any of that shit in there.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Well, the Unveiling lore from Shadowkeep seemed to shed a lot of light on the nature of the Darkness-Light dichotomy (although it's all from the Darkness' point of view) that was pretty mold-breaking as far as classic 'Light vs Dark' stories have been.
    And the Darkness' actions since Arrival in presenting races with power and making serious overtures to the Guardians, rather than just destroying everything, would seem to be pretty twist-worthy. The most basic take would've been to just have the pyramids be another 'evil-rawr-destroy everything' threat for us to fight. The Darkness is no longer an immediate active threat, but a more insidious source of power that is steering humanity towards accepting it, likely as a prelude to having humanity adopt its 'Final Shape' philosophy.
    Also on the fallen stuff

Going by the dialogue, mostly from Variks
    Eramis' 'corruption' was manifest in her desire to kill the Traveler and destroy humanity, rather than focus on turning Europa into a new home for the fallen. The twisting of the initial goal, building a safe haven for their people to regroup and rebuild, into the creation of an army that would throw away countless eliksni lives in exchange for vengeance and bloodshed and angry war. The Stranger later mentions that the power of the Darkness amplifies the more destructive and hateful impulses of the user, which is in-line with the Darkness' philosophy that life must war with itself in order to destroy everything capable of being destroyed.

H9f4bVe.png
    august wrote: »

Also on the fallen stuff

It was supposedly going to be a story about temptation, evil and the cosmic horror of The Darkness and they didn't put any of that shit in there.

I think the problem here is...
    ...they wrote the story trying to sell using Stasis as a dangerous thing but then wrote the trailers for the expansion as "Look, you get Darkness powers! Isn't that cool?!". Somewhat unavoidable seeing how long some players have been waiting for a Darkness set of abilities but it's still a clash of ideas that doesn't do the story told around the way you get that set any favors.

edited November 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Eramis' 'corruption' was manifest in her desire to kill the Traveler and destroy humanity, rather than focus on turning Europa into a new home for the fallen. The twisting of the initial goal, building a safe haven for their people to regroup and rebuild, into the creation of an army that would throw away countless eliksni lives in exchange for vengeance and bloodshed and angry war. The Stranger later mentions that the power of the Darkness amplifies the more destructive and hateful impulses of the user, which is in-line with the Darkness' philosophy that life must war with itself in order to destroy everything capable of being destroyed.
    Her corruption is hard to take seriously when 99.99% of the Fallen we've encountered thus far have been pirate murder junkies.

august on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Well, the Unveiling lore from Shadowkeep seemed to shed a lot of light on the nature of the Darkness-Light dichotomy (although it's all from the Darkness' point of view) that was pretty mold-breaking as far as classic 'Light vs Dark' stories have been.
    And the Darkness' actions since Arrival in presenting races with power and making serious overtures to the Guardians, rather than just destroying everything, would seem to be pretty twist-worthy. The most basic take would've been to just have the pyramids be another 'evil-rawr-destroy everything' threat for us to fight. The Darkness is no longer an immediate active threat, but a more insidious source of power that is steering humanity towards accepting it, likely as a prelude to having humanity adopt its 'Final Shape' philosophy.
    Also on the fallen stuff

Going by the dialogue, mostly from Variks

unveiling and darkness in beyond light
    Yeah I know that there's depth and nuance in the lore books, but I was hoping that all of that nuance would have some sort of pay off in the main storyline. It seems clear now that's not going to be the case, and that the darkness as it's portrayed in game is going to be 100% palpatine going 'YESSS GIVE INTO THE HATE' but it's your ghost instead. And I don't really see the darkness not immediately attacking as a twist on the formula, since it's very clear at this point that all out conflict between light and dark is the eventual goal. The temptation step is just a way to have the eventual fight take place 2 years from now.

I'm probably too hung up on this though, because some of my favorite destiny lore is the very early D1 lore speculating on the nature of the collapse/darkness where they would list 10 different twist endings and say 'welp could be any of them'.

as for the eriamis stuff-
    that makes more sense but again it's hard to for it to work when fallen don't really do peace. Seems like it would be a lot more effective if it was a fallen that we knew was interested in non-violent solutions being corrupted :bzz:
    [/spolier]

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii

Also on the fallen stuff

...they wrote the story trying to sell using Stasis as a dangerous thing but then wrote the trailers for the expansion as "Look, you get Darkness powers! Isn't that cool?!". Somewhat unavoidable seeing how long some players have been waiting for a Darkness set of abilities but it's still a clash of ideas that doesn't do the story told around the way you get that set any favors.
    The problem is that it completely fails to sell Stasis as a dangerous thing, or a temptation for the player character, or the Darkness as looming and terrifying threat. We had a little bit of the Darkness being effective and creepy at the end of Shadowkeep. Then a bit at the beginning of Arrivals. We get maybe one line from it at the beginning of this DLC.

You never are scared of the Darkness in this. You never see the player character struggle with it. Stasis has no moral dimension, even if other characters are telling you about it second hand. Ghost is worried for your soul, but it's just some ice powers I got because I had to stop the lady with ice powers.

The most effective thing was when you "reached the Darkness inside" in front of the veiled statue. And that was just down to the environmental artist succeeding where the rest of the game didn't.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    i've played a lot of this in the last three days, and I really truly have a big deep spot in my heart for Destiny, I love it and have so many fond memories of it

but idk, through no fault of the expansion specifically I feel like I'm slowly coming to the realization that Destiny is going to be a game continually trapped between two worlds. I love everything about how Destiny plays and just desperately wish they would like, poach talent that has experience developing MMOs to help them solve some of the long-standing issues the game has around power progression, content loop, and like....vanity reward structure

my biggest takeaway after ranting with a friend for 20 minutes (even though overall I'm enjoying Beyond Light a whole bunch) was that if Blizzard had kept making Titan they might've been able to Build A Better Destiny

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    My also extremely hot take from the last year (Shadowkeep through Beyond Light) is that everyone who kissed the ground when Bungie and Activision split should circle back to those opinions because I feel like it's become apparent that Bungie doesn't have the necessary manpower to produce the sort of content pipeline that the game they're trying to make needs

e: order of words is hard at 1:30 AM

T4CT on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I think the devs are excellent. The artists are excellent.

I just think management needs a shakeup. We're able to predict the fuck ups at this point and we don't even laugh about it.

I also am wondering if a lot of Bungie's devs are just on their next product.

Not a fan of the controller for PS5. I have Muscular Dystrophy, so this increased resistance, even with the Haptic stuff turned off, is actively hurting my ability to play the game. I want to be able to use my DS 4 :(.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I’ve been looking at the triumphs for this season, and there’s mention of doing Lost Sectors on master difficulty.

So I’m assuming the bunker stuff from a few seasons ago is coming back ? When Rasputin had you running harder versions of the bunker clearances.

Except this time I’m assuming it’s Variks running things, considering I’ve just unlock a similar advancement system very similar to Rasputin’s system at the time (tier 1, 2 and 3, earn more tokens to unlock stuff to earn more tokens, etc).

Also, there’s two sets of collectibles, destroyed exo’s and stuffed toys.

Not found any exo’s yet, and 1 toy.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    My also extremely hot take from the last year (Shadowkeep through Beyond Light) is that everyone who kissed the ground when Bungie and Activision split should circle back to those opinions because I feel like it's become apparent that Bungie doesn't have the necessary manpower to produce the sort of content pipeline that the game they're trying to make needs

e: order of words is hard at 1:30 AM

Yeah I agree, and there was definitely an undercurrent when that split happened of people being like iiiiiiii don’t know if this is all that great

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I think the relatively easy fix to a lot of the communities woes right now is

1. Let shadowkeep content drop with the current season's max LL
    2. Let Forsaken content drop with the current season's max LL.
    3. Let Last Wish and Garden reward powerful gear. They're raids. I mean come on.

Shadowkeep and Forsaken are still content you can buy for $25, so I don't think its unreasonable that this content is should be 'in play'. Obviously raid gear drops at max allowable LL (at least this season? will it update every season?).

Although I'm pretty sure you can still do the Pit of Heresy every week for a masterworked armor piece. It's an easy guaranteed 18 prisms if you do each character and break the armor down (it has bad stats so, yeah). Also you can leave the armor as armor and stuff it in the vault if youre at the limit for prisms!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Also on the fallen stuff

The problem is that it completely fails to sell Stasis as a dangerous thing, or a temptation for the player character, or the Darkness as looming and terrifying threat. We had a little bit of the Darkness being effective and creepy at the end of Shadowkeep. Then a bit at the beginning of Arrivals. We get maybe one line from it at the beginning of this DLC.

You never are scared of the Darkness in this. You never see the player character struggle with it. Stasis has no moral dimension, even if other characters are telling you about it second hand. Ghost is worried for your soul, but it's just some ice powers I got because I had to stop the lady with ice powers.

The most effective thing was when you "reached the Darkness inside" in front of the veiled statue. And that was just down to the environmental artist succeeding where the rest of the game didn't.

It's a videogame. You can never really square that circle. Power fantasy and evil temptation just don't mix.

M-Vickers wrote: »
    I’ve been looking at the triumphs for this season, and there’s mention of doing Lost Sectors on master difficulty.

So I’m assuming the bunker stuff from a few seasons ago is coming back ? When Rasputin had you running harder versions of the bunker clearances.

Except this time I’m assuming it’s Variks running things, considering I’ve just unlock a similar advancement system very similar to Rasputin’s system at the time (tier 1, 2 and 3, earn more tokens to unlock stuff to earn more tokens, etc).

once you've completed Lost Sectors on Europa and The Cosmodrome you'll see options pop up for Legendary and Master level Lost Sectors. you don't need to talk to anyone, they'll be marked on the map and have a banner outside for you to activate them. the Legendary ones are 1250 Power, fixed load-out, Champions and some modifiers, Master level is all that at 1280 Power. they also have a good chance at an Exotic is you do them solo.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    According to the mod list some of the season mods can supposedly drop in Banshees rank up packages, has anyone had any luck with that? Their UI doesnt seem fully updated since the mod list also states that you can put Better Already etc on Class items which you cant anymore.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Still trying to get Shatter kills in PvP for the weekly. I finished last night 41/45. Atleast I finally understand the Shatter mechanic. You simply have to freeze someone and then break them at the perfect moment, when the ice is extra spiky and they're nearly about to break free. A freeze, wait 2 beats then melee is almost always a guaranteed Shatter.

Also finally getting the hang of the shurikens
    https://youtu.be/CkGucPVHie8

once you've completed Lost Sectors on Europa and The Cosmodrome you'll see options pop up for Legendary and Master level Lost Sectors. you don't need to talk to anyone, they'll be marked on the map and have a banner outside for you to activate them. the Legendary ones are 1250 Power, fixed load-out, Champions and some modifiers, Master level is all that at 1280 Power. they also have a good chance at an Exotic is you do them solo.

I mustn't be far enough in for that yet- probably over this weekend.

Thanks for the info.

I mustn't be far enough in for that yet- probably over this weekend.

Thanks for the info.

if you see a pop up for a new Adventure that'll probably be it triggering. not sure if it'll roll out to other locations in the weeks to come but the new areas are where they're showing for me now.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    hot take: the titan stasis class is good, actually

I figured out that the way to use the Titan stasis in PvP is just to use the melee as a homing missile, as soon as I ditched the heavy slam my enjoyment of the super went up 115%.

Also for anyone who was looking at that lore dump from yesterday, the first part is the missing pages that people unscrambled but there's a mess of new lore at the end, if you care about the lore read through it all.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Vladimer wrote: »
    hot take: the titan stasis class is good, actually

It feels really mediocre in the campaign. But I think it's going to end up being better then it seems once people get a feel for how it works. It definitely seems like getting the hang of the super weird melee attack is going to be key to making it work.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Apparently Trials encountered a "recently discovered issue" (Stasis) and will not be available for the next two weeks. Granted, my light level is terrible so I wasn't going to be ready anyway (seems like they nerfed the lost sector grind), but seems deflating that apparently some new shit broke in Trials.

Also a hotfix is in progress? Any idea what for?

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Apparently Trials encountered a "recently discovered issue" (Stasis) and will not be available for the next two weeks. Granted, my light level is terrible so I wasn't going to be ready anyway (seems like they nerfed the lost sector grind), but seems deflating that apparently some new shit broke in Trials.

Also a hotfix is in progress? Any idea what for?

I'd guess they're doing some general stability maintenance and possibly implementing whatever lines of code are necessary to ensure a smooth transition into the Seasonal activity content.

As to Trials, probably for the best, just for the sake of ensuring more folks have unlocked Stasis Aspects/Fragments and had time to understand the mechanics/counterplay possibilities.

edited November 2020
    There's apparently a bug where you can get infinite Warlock super (w/Stasis, I think), that's why they cancelled Trials. I think it would have been a glorious shitshow and I'm sad that it's off.

Peen on