As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    In one way, yeah good - go fuck yourself off to whatever shit-stained toilet you crawled out of.

But in another way... There's an infinite number of these fuckers to take these places and we aren't going to be free of them till we finally boot the tories out.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    In one way, yeah good - go fuck yourself off to whatever shit-stained toilet you crawled out of.

But in another way... There's an infinite number of these fuckers to take these places and we aren't going to be free of them till we finally boot the tories out.

There needs to be a flow chart for the emotional process of hearing "X" Tory is going to leave because it's the same every time.

Existential horror of Tory governance ----> Resignation/sacking of "X" ----> Brief elation ----> Realisation the replacement is just as bad/worse ----> Loop back to start

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    His name

is Gammon.

I know everybody's noticed that, but. Guys.

There was also a Max Gammon who made the news a couple years ago for saying that Britain was at war with the EU.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    His name

is Gammon.

I know everybody's noticed that, but. Guys.

There was also a Max Gammon who made the news a couple years ago for saying that Britain was at war with the EU.

Don't forget the former ukip leader Dick Braine.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome
    the irony is, of course, that cummings influence would have been much more benign - in the abstract sense of generically anti-tory, pro increasing gov spending and genuinely interested in certain kinds of regional development - post brexit. so him going having done nothing more than engineer 2 disastrous democratic votes and fucked up the outcome is the worst of all worlds

obF2Wuw.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    Greeting from North Britain. Currently on the Internetworking site *checks notes* Twitter "Jo Swinson" is what they refer to as 'trending'.

After thorough investigation we have determined that the root cause is because the North Britain regional team won the football and the regional leader of North Britain was happy with this.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Unionism in Scotland is so fucked.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    aaand cummings is gone!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    aaand cummings is gone!

The cummings and goings of politics

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    aaand cummings is gone!

Is this a new thing since his declaration that he's fucking off by Xmas? Cummings prematurely ejected?

Oh brilliant
    the irony is, of course, that cummings influence would have been much more benign - in the abstract sense of generically anti-tory, pro increasing gov spending and genuinely interested in certain kinds of regional development - post brexit. so him going having done nothing more than engineer 2 disastrous democratic votes and fucked up the outcome is the worst of all worlds

I hadn't really heard that aspect of him. I just perceived him to be a nexus of well executed bad ideas.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I've been watching videos about cycling transport in the Netherlands, and London would be so perfect for it.

Instead we get these god awful cycle superhighways.

Why do town planners in the UK not use the Netherlands as a model?

Don't say that we've just started copying the "Dutch style" roundabouts here and they are fucking death traps.

(Also I'm told The Netherlands have started removing them because they are so dangerous)

What's wrong with those? I used one that looks like that near Battersea park and it was great as a cyclist.

The biggie is that the whole idea is that crossing cycle and pedestrian traffic is supposed to have priority over traffic leaving the roundabout, as at a zebra crossing. So, drivers should yield to pedestrians or cyclists on or approaching the crossing, but many just ... don't

They're nerve wracking in the same way that zebra crossings on NSL roads are: it's a relatively unusual arrangement that relies on the driver of the larger vehicle behaving correctly for them to be safe

Having said that, they are infinitely better than those roundabouts that just have a cycle lane hugging the perimeter inside the boundary of the roundabout, using those is just asking to get left hooked

The main issue is that priority is unclear when leaving and some of the exislts split the zebra crossings and cycle lanes meaning cars end up blocking them when they have to stop. Cyclists going round the cycleway / footpath in the wrong direction is also an issue that feels like it would have been immediately obvious from anybody thinking about it for a couple of minutes

It ends up with a really unpredictable stop-start flow of pedestrians, cyclists and cars that is the ideal recipe for accidents. Most of the people I know who had to go that way by bike have found alternative routes.

It could just be people being rusty after lockdown but since the one near Addenbrooks went in I've seen two car collisions and a cyclist get knocked over. I presume we'll see a few deaths if traffic returns to normal levels in the winter.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So awesome
    I have no idea, sky news just reported it.
    No official reason given.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    aaand cummings is gone!

Is this a new thing since his declaration that he's fucking off by Xmas? Cummings prematurely ejected?

You can't deny that 13 Nov is "before christmas".

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's great that he's out of Downing Street but he'll be shitting out opinion columns for someone in a couple of weeks. It took Nick Timothy about eight seconds to really settle into his new role as Guy Who Knows Everything after shedding his previous role as Guy Who So Badly Fucked An Election Campaign That He Lost A Majority.

What on earth happened to get Dominic "every minister publicly backed me when I broke the law" Cummings fired?

Why now? Nothing seems to have happened other than the Biden congratulations fiasco, and that's pretty par for the course with this government.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Maybe because the finale of the brexit shitshow is getting closer each passing day?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    secondly that Laura's "senior number 10 source" is Cummings, surprising no-one

I would not be surprised if the political editor of the national broadcaster had multiple people in No.10 talking to her.

From what people are saying relations between Number 10 and the Tory party have gotten worse and worse, and the blame for it is hung around Cummings' neck (and the general FUCK YOU tone of their administration). A long series of unforced blunders and u-turns have made them look like arseholes and incompetents (telling Rashford to fuck off twice, for instance), and Tories have been complaining to the newspapers about Johnson being weak and lazy and out of his depth.

Sacking Cummings is a way of trying to draw a line under all this and saddle him with the blame, and also please rank and file Tories by bringing in a more traditional staff that doesn't treat them like contemptible morons (though most of them are). Also with his bestest buddy Lee Cain gone it's possible that Cummings sensed his absolute power was slipping away and simply couldn't be arsed to work with anyone who had more, or equal, power than him.

But Johnson is weak, lazy, and out of his depth..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    But Johnson is weak, lazy, and out of his depth..

Well, yes, but if he does what they want him to they'll return to calling him a lovable, roguish charmer.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Twitter journalists also seem to suggest Cummings is behind a lot of the anti media, judge/courts hating, anti EU and anti parliament stuff that's been going off with this Government.

I read an article the other day where he'd been arguing with the Chief medical officer as Cummings wanted the isolation period for someone who'd been in contact with a covid positive person to be reduced.

Why the fuck did Cummings have any say at all in that? He'd also been working on a massive reorganization of the Armed forces, again why is one person involved in so many things.

SharpyVII on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    It makes me think of the kind of manager I had on my last job; whatever estimate you gave for a task would be cut in half as a 'compromise'.
    "Medical experts say people should isolate for two weeks, politicians would like it if people didn't need to isolate at all, so let's meet in the middle and say one week!"
    "Uh, that will achieve absolutely nothing of value."
    "You have to learn to compromise."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I think the last ten years have demonstrated that Tories in general hate accountability of any kind and are happy to attack courts, civil servants and experts who either disagree or make them accountable in any way. I'm sure Cummings gave them a sharper knife with which to fight off such actions, but the desire for doing it was hardly alien to the current shitfarm of Tory ministers.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Maybe because the finale of the brexit shitshow is getting closer each passing day?

That'd be my guess. Getting out before it blows up, so he can reinvent himself as the one who could have prevented it.

"I can't be held responsible for the catastrophic result of Brexit. I wasn't there. If I was, I would have made sure that <current crisis> never happened, but I thought <person I have a grudge against/am willing to throw under the bus> was capable of stewarding the promise to the people of England*. Clearly I underestimated their ability. He/she/they failed our country."

* Yep. Am aware that the UK is more than England. Am also aware that to Tories anything not part of England, doesn't *really* count.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    So awesome
    Where the fuck is Laura K gonna get any of her news from now?

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    edited November 2020
    There's been some speculation that Cummings fucking off might lead to the Government softening their stance on the EU and eventually giving in to all of their demands.

The Government has put out a statement saying that their definitely %100 not softening on Brexit.

Which obviously means we'll see numerous u turns soon in the EUs favour....

SharpyVII on
    So shitty
    We're probably about to admit that we don't have a sovereign right to all the fish.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Where the fuck is Laura K gonna get any of her news from now?

She and Haberman should do a Freaky Friday thing

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So shitty
    klemming wrote: »
    We're probably about to admit that we don't have a sovereign right to all the fish.

For a second there I read that as “all the Irish” and it made as much sense.

So shitty
    CroakerBC wrote: »

For a second there I read that as “all the Irish” and it made as much sense.

No, we're keeping the rights to some of those.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Then why do they have blue passports?

He's gone!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54938050
    PM adviser Dominic Cummings has left Number 10 with immediate effect, BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg says

That's all there is in the article....

Something is really blowing up in there...

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    But who will be PM now? The one that actually runs the show rather than the figurehead that is.

Have to admit, it would all make for great entertainment if they weren't actually the ones in charge.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So awesome

I hadn't really heard that aspect of him. I just perceived him to be a nexus of well executed bad ideas.

his blog has a lot of this stuff in it, but a good and more recent example would be the stuff about Richard Jones paper on regional innovation (see eg https://www.researchprofessionalnews.com/rr-news-uk-innovation-2019-12-richard-jones-talks-innovation-in-wake-of-cummings-citation/ ).

he was never an ideological tory; he’s a disagreeable contrarian with a pseudoquantitative edge. so he has, in effect, contributed only the parts where he overlapped with con policy

obF2Wuw.png
    edited November 2020
    So awesome
    and yes re: comments up the page - this is obviously the best outcome for him as far as brand cummings goes.

he can leave with a story that looks like "i won them a referendum, i won them an election, they werent willing to listen to me so i walked away knowing they would fuck everything up and look how much of a mess they made".

part of the problem here is that cummings has played the role of a villain in recent british history but he is by no means necessarily worse than what might replace him. the current level of conservative policymaking is so utterly bent to the perceived political desires of their base, as seen through the prism of the party membership, and so utterly devoid of people with any real character or courage that there is almost zero chance you see something better.

perhaps johnson goes and we get another, different pm - still chosen by the membership. what kinds of policy tendencies do we see? with a uk in a massive recession with rapidly increasing government debt? with nobody of any intellectual capacity anywhere near conservative policy circles? with the party itself having repeatedly run policyless manifestos? with the hard right faction in parliament growing and now willing to be a fractious anti-government voting bloc?

we know the answer. this isnt going to be an exercise in imagination. its dogshit all the way down

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    It's Nazis again, isn't it.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    *click*
    "Always has been."

It's Nazis again, isn't it.

Nah. There is a difference between bog-standard, mediocre, greedy, selfish Tories and actual Nazis*. We don't need to jump right to Godwinning.

*Nazis have actual beliefs beyond mere grifting for one.

This discussion has been closed.