As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The thing about yoinking Heir Apparent away for a future reward is that it's not good enough to be an event's whole reward. Not because of the gun's quality but because a massive amount of people earned it the first time or just bought it. It will be fine if they add an additional reward for lifers to that event (a catalyst, a skin, or both) but just being like "the Exotic is Heir Apparent for this event!" will mega flop and I hope they're smart enough to know that. It's like the quest they did for Riskrunner, after it being widely available for over a year. Or the new quest for Chaperone that's there now for some reason...

My thoughts, having cleared the main story last night.
    -The temptation angle was a flop, and the villain was good in theory but boring in practice. Probably the worst moment was when Eramis correctly pointed out that Variks is a HORRIBLE savior for the Fallen race in that he actively profited off bloodsport done to them in the Prison of Elders and now he's moralizing? Variks had no defense at all, then went "You're a MONSTER!" which is the most generic reply I could have possibly imagined. The lore is some of the best its ever been, the in-game writing is dipping back to D2 vanilla levels. I'm shaken a bit by this vast gulf.
    -Europa is pretty in places. I don't know if it's as varied as it could be. There's basically desolate ice and Clovis Bray labs and that's it. A third "biome" would be kind of nice. Cosmodrome is nostalgic. I love the two Lost Sectors, but am displeased that there's TWO in such a vast zone.
    -Why the hell did they preview the exciting trio of Stranger/Drifter/Eris and then... only the Stranger talks? What the hell WAS that? The other two just sit at a campfire and stare at it the entire campaign. How was there more interesting dialogue and interaction during public events and weekly quests last season than there is in a big $ paid expansion? Is this Covid trubbs, or is Bungie just unforgivably cheap? This pisses me off, honestly.
    -Wow, the campaign loot game sucks. Variks gives you Long Shadow as a quest reward at one point, and I was just like... bitch are you for real? It was really "fun" to get my seasonal armor and Exotic and have them hideously too weak to use in the campaign in 10 seconds, as well. I eventually just started wasting my upgrade materials to avoid using blue armor AND blue guns. Blue armor is annoying enough, considering how miserly the stats are on it. I had completely forgotten what mobility 2 plays like... yikes. Duality is a fun gun to shoot, the new shotgun and pulse rifle seem pretty good.
    -Warlock Darkness Super I have mixed feelings about. The basic loop of projectile, then immediately shatter gets boring, but the effects and chain explosions are pretty fun. The starter grenade is boring and bad for damage, I want them to give me new ones. Forcing Empowering Rift on me when my stats are shit was annoying, give me my real rift now, please.

Not sure this is really a spoiler, but I guess just in case:
    Eris and Drifter do talk. You have to walk over and press the interact button. Any time you have a quest item to go talk to the Stranger you can also talk to the other two to get some more dialog. Mostly it's about how annoying Drifter is.

I thought they were making Heir Apparent a quest reward, not an event reward.

Oh, that would have been nice to know. I have to play through the campaign twice more to get my Hunter and Titan Ice powers, but can I just wander over and get all that dialogue in a row with the main quest done?

No. They just have 1 thing to say each every time you show up to the campsite and all 3 of them are hanging out there. So like 4 sets of dialogue total I think? But afaik it's tied to what point in the campaign you are in.

Weaver wrote: »
    I finally bought all of the expansion and am playing this again on PC, I was gonna join the SE clan but it looks like that is dead so I reapplied to Pax Arcadia.

@Weaver you should be in now.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Thank you!

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Lol

This dlc just made destiny feel so barren outside of the dlc campaign an now the one thing they still had (trials) is down for two weeks?

Yeah this is the new low point for the franchise. Right up there with CoO. But the difference is we’re two days removed from a hopeful franchise boost

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    There sure feels like there's a lot to do for a "barren" game. I bet the vast majority of players aren't even done with the campaign and then all the shit after that.

Trials being down is unfortunate in some ways but I think it would have been a shitshow no matter what if people didn't have the time to grind out new stasis classes and the various perk-thingies for them and all that.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    People do this every expansion, when the games secrets don't readily reveal themselves in the first 10 hours people lose it. We're gonna be playing it for months people... Give it time

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    just started playing today having not played for many moons but only just realised u can fire ur sword backwards

new plan: get power ammo in pvp and do this to people chasing me for sheer comedy value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqz-fsPhA9s

if you do it right u end up facing the exact opposite direction

this has no use beyoind making me laugh

obF2Wuw.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Man I have so many different quests and things to do. I got the stasis exotic and have to hunt down all those fragments, I have more quests still to do, armor to find, pvp things, catalysts to complete, etc.

Game feels like it's in a real good spot to me. I've still never ever set foot in trials though. I'd love to try some time.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I would like strikes to be more stable. One of the Nessus ones is completely unprogressable as a checkpoint never triggers to open a door. Another one boots me to orbit.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sword auto-targeting feels way more aggressive, with enemy blocking significantly reduced from last time i played

i may be hallucinating but there used to be various things you could do that involved angling off enemy collision boxes and flying into the air. most egregious were shields eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzzgAfGH7QQ

but now it feels a lot smoother, with the target acquisition more like conventional melee where it looks in a big ol circle and corrects (fight is a mess but u can see it when the sword is out and its air tricking almost as much as ophidian melee). nice i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqX83zy-Raw

they still havent got rid of the bug where u randomly shoot arrows while landing tho >:V

obF2Wuw.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    There's a ton to do in the game. I have put WAY too much time into Beyond Light and I'm not near done everything yet. The asterisk here is I want to run through all three characters. From that point of view, I am enjoying it.

The problem is a lot of what's needed to do mainly revolves around the Stasis class and the fact that it's both grindy and time gated. If one were here for the shooter part of the looter shooter, there's not a lot here. The Moon is now completely useless except for checking boxes /enjoying the scenery and story because not only is all the gear 1060, they just deactivated the bounties. People were getting too much XP from them.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Post forsaken campaign you unlocked the dreaming city.

Post d2 campaign a whole slew of exotic quests and post campaign stuff opened up

I beat the campaign here and I have one quest to do post campaign

It’s as empty as it’s ever been.

And to my friends that haven’t bought the dlc it’s completely barren especially with trials gone for a few weeks

616610-1.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I don't remember "a whole slew" of stuff post D2 campaign, especially since people freaked the fuck out hardcore about there not being anything to do

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    If you've done everything there is to do in the game prior to Beyond Light and you play enough to have powered through the campaign, the post-campaign quest line, and the New Light content already, 3 days after it dropped, then yeah, I guess there's not that much to do until Tuesday when the Season of the Hunt stuff drops. I'm not really sure how Trials would have changed that. You could play Comp and, every time you lose, smack yourself in the face and delete any drops you got since last time to approximate Trials?

Vanilla D2 was a long-ass time ago but I don't think there was anything to do except grind for...well... I don't really remember what there even was to grind for. Leveling was super easy back then and you'd be near cap by the end of the campaign. There were no random rolls on gear. I guess you could grind for exotic drops and to finish out your collection/triumph score?

I'll admit that there are a lot of times in the past year when I don't really want to play Destiny because the stuff I have to do just isn't that compelling to me (unlike, say, in TTK era or right after Forsaken, when I was goddamned glued to the game) but there's always something to do and try to get. Though admittedly I don't even have a single title because I just don't grind that hard.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Question for the folks in here who play more crucible than I do.

Trying to find a good look for my warlock, I am immensely regretting not getting the shader Devil In The Details from the season of the forge. Buuuuut it is still in collections and grayed out, implying that it is still obtainable somehow. I cannot find any reliable source for the life of me on how, though.

So can anyone recall getting this after a crucible match or in a rank up package anytime recently?

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Shamus wrote: »
    Has there been any lore why Nessus was spared? Or where Calus went? Looking at the Destinations tab, it really is the odd duck.

Dunno for sure what happened to Calus but someone posted this over at the D2 Reddit.
    LGw1T6Fh.jpg
    HdIy9Zqh.jpg

According to the poster, the barge is just sitting on the ground now, totally abandoned. It's interesting that it was left on Nessus like that instead of being removed. Looks like whatever happened happened quick.

Owenashi on
    "we added hard cc to pvp, we anticipate no problems with this"

hmm yes quite

obF2Wuw.png
    Opty wrote: »
    I don't remember "a whole slew" of stuff post D2 campaign, especially since people freaked the fuck out hardcore about there not being anything to do

I remember beating ghaul and feeling like the game opened up a ton. Like exotic quests left and right

Part of it may have been all the weekly quests opened up which was new and felt like content

Where as now it does not

616610-1.png
    edited November 2020
    lol I log in just now and am greeted with an info graphic of shit to do

So I feel like Bungie is hearing my complaints she shoving stuff in my face

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    "we added hard cc to pvp, we anticipate no problems with this"

hmm yes quite

Getting frozen feels fucking awful so far, be it PvP or PvE. In PvP you know you're dead now. PvE you can maybe clutch it out.

I think the worst part is that escape is just "long press [and eventually it happens]". Needs a progress spinner or something. Maybe let me mash the shit out of the O button and maybe escape faster.

Owenashi wrote: »
    Has there been any lore why Nessus was spared? Or where Calus went? Looking at the Destinations tab, it really is the odd duck.

Dunno for sure what happened to Calus but someone posted this over at the D2 Reddit.
    LGw1T6Fh.jpg
    HdIy9Zqh.jpg

According to the poster, the barge is just sitting on the ground now, totally abandoned. It's interesting that it was left on Nessus like that instead of being removed. Looks like whatever happened happened quick.

Weren't the Calus-bots Darkness-powered? His whole Grow Fat With Strength seems pretty Darkness-as-temptation-y in retrospect.

Oh! Oh! Wild, stupid speculation time!

It's not Savathûn or Xivu-Arath that we're going back to the Dreadnaught to fight. Calus is going to set up shop in there, spray paint shit gold and purple, and we're going to have to go to his Throne World of Opulence to finally kill him and get our third Darkness sub-class in Lightfall!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

LGw1T6Fh.jpg
    HdIy9Zqh.jpg

Weren't the Calus-bots Darkness-powered? His whole Grow Fat With Strength seems pretty Darkness-as-temptation-y in retrospect.

It's not Savathûn or Xivu-Arath that we're going back to the Dreadnaught to fight. Calus is going to set up shop in there, spray paint shit gold and purple, and we're going to have to go to his Throne World of Opulence to finally kill him and get our third Darkness sub-class in Lightfall!

Calus's whole schtick was that he got to the edge of the universe, saw the encroaching and impossible to stop void of nothing, realized it was pointless to fight back, and instead decided to be the herald to the End of All Things. He just wants everyone to party it up and live life to the fullest (carnally) until there is only one person left who will be there to see the lights go out.

I bet he was ecstatic when the Darkness showed up and killed him and all his peeps.

ObiFett on
    What’s the power level on the armor quests you get? Is it worth holding off until I hit the sift cap?

616610-1.png
    ObiFett wrote: »

LGw1T6Fh.jpg
    HdIy9Zqh.jpg

Calus's whole schtick was that he got to the edge of the universe, saw the encroaching and impossible to stop void of nothing, realized it was pointless to fight back, and instead decided to be the herald to the End of All Things. He just wants everyone to party it up and live life to the fullest (carnally) until there is only one person left who will be there to see the lights go out.

I bet he was ecstatic when the Darkness showed up and killed him and all his peeps.

Oh no, he'd be pissed if that's what happened. Calus wants to be the last thing left alive in the universe when it all ends.

Also, am I crazy and missing them or did they completely remove all the "damage with special weapon => super energy" mods? (pump action, light reactor, etc)

I can't find them anywhere.

shryke wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

LGw1T6Fh.jpg
    HdIy9Zqh.jpg

Oh no, he'd be pissed if that's what happened. Calus wants to be the last thing left alive in the universe when it all ends.

Calus heard about the Final Shape and, being a big Stephen King fan, assumed that shape was "Space Turtle".

I managed to take the second BL boss down.
    x7We9DMh.png

Again, did it in one go. Having a gun like Xenophage to one-shot those generators as well as Healing Rift helped a lot as well as the warnings tossed up here about him.

The key to dealing with the bosses from my experience was either staying mobile or taking cover, depending on which freeze ability they used.

Technocrat is definitely all about staying mobile. Just keep moving and you won't get frozen. Then you just need a good ranged weapon and a good close range weapon.

What did they do to hand cannons in crucible? Cause they seem D1 level snappy and good the little bit I played to get powerfuls

Duality seems like a solid gun

Freeze is dumb. That’s my takeaways

616610-1.png
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Ok so the post-campaign exotic quest mission
    Is so goddamn funny. If you ever needed more evidence that Drifter is the best character, he doesn’t even need to actually be there to improve things.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    The choice of Stasis seems like a mistake to me. It did before release and it still does now I've gotten to use it.

In one way it's cool becasue it's new and different from the old elemental subclasses but in every other way it seems bad.

Spoilers for early campaign dialog (very minor spoilers anyone could guess, probably, but just in case):
    The Stranger plays up how the Darkness tempts and wants you to give in to your urges but stasis isn't a terribly tempting ability. When The Darkness Beckons I sigh internally because I know I'm going to end up having a meh time. My grenade isn't useful to spam and my super feels like I'd be happier if I could bust out a to-level Loaded Question.

The lore and some of the dialog plays up how Darkness == Chaos but ice powers are literally the opposite.

I feel like our first brush with Darkness powers should have had a lot more bang. I have no idea what, considering how explodey/zappy the existing classes are, but something that feels like playing with fire. Tearing apart reality to destroy the enemy and endangering yourself at the same time.

Given the rumors that we'll be getting more Darkness subclasses (which seems obviously, really) I'm betting there's one in the works using Hive green fire. Probably with lots of swords. I think that would've been a better choice for our first Darkness class.

But maybe it's subtler than that and the relatively banality of Stasis is the Darkness trying to lure us in by saying, "Hey, look, I'm mostly a utility! Nothing super dangerous here!"

I'm curious, what lore plays up that Darkness == Chaos? I'll need to pay more attention when I go through with my next character.

If anything, the Light seems to be the more chaotic one.
    The lore seems to indicate that before anything, there was the Gardner (Light) and the Winnower (Darkness). They played seemingly infinite games of simulated "life" and one particular final pattern or shape always superseded all others in the end.

The Gardner didn't like this, so they made a new rule by putting themselves into play in the simulated game so that other possible patterns and shapes could exist and grow. The Gardner didn't want the same thing over and over, it wanted randomness, differences, possibilities, changes, other forms and patterns to appear. This seems more chaotic to me.

The Winnower was happy with that one final shape always winning. It was perfect, its only purpose was to exist and it did it every single time. In this way, Stasis does seem appropriate for the Darkness. Set, rigid, frozen, controlled, unchanging, pristine.

I've come to think of the Traveler and the Pyramids as the Gardner's and Winnower's game pieces inserted into the universe. Like, the Gardner and Winnower themselves are so beyond comprehension, there's no way you could actually imagine or interact directly with them, so the Traveler and Pyramids are their limited manifestations in our universe so that there can be interactions, and even then the Guardians barely understand what they are. The Darkness thinks the Light fucked up by uplifting these lifeforms that are still doomed to suffer and die by the Final Shape which will eventually win The Game again. That's why the Nightmares appear on the Moon, the Darkness is showing us the horrible things that have been experienced by all these people. Because the Light interfered with the natural way of things, all these people and lives will exist, yes, but they'll endure pain and loss and suffering and death, and for what point? A false semblance of hope? Does the Light even care, or is it just uplifting things until it finds something that can beat the Final Shape so that it can say "hah, fuck you" to the Winnower?

Anyway, this shit is cool and I like thinking about it.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The choice of Stasis seems like a mistake to me. It did before release and it still does now I've gotten to use it.

In one way it's cool becasue it's new and different from the old elemental subclasses but in every other way it seems bad.

Spoilers for early campaign dialog (very minor spoilers anyone could guess, probably, but just in case):
    The Stranger plays up how the Darkness tempts and wants you to give in to your urges but stasis isn't a terribly tempting ability. When The Darkness Beckons I sigh internally because I know I'm going to end up having a meh time. My grenade isn't useful to spam and my super feels like I'd be happier if I could bust out a to-level Loaded Question.

The lore and some of the dialog plays up how Darkness == Chaos but ice powers are literally the opposite.

I feel like our first brush with Darkness powers should have had a lot more bang. I have no idea what, considering how explodey/zappy the existing classes are, but something that feels like playing with fire. Tearing apart reality to destroy the enemy and endangering yourself at the same time.

Given the rumors that we'll be getting more Darkness subclasses (which seems obviously, really) I'm betting there's one in the works using Hive green fire. Probably with lots of swords. I think that would've been a better choice for our first Darkness class.

But maybe it's subtler than that and the relatively banality of Stasis is the Darkness trying to lure us in by saying, "Hey, look, I'm mostly a utility! Nothing super dangerous here!"

I'm curious, what lore plays up that Darkness == Chaos? I'll need to pay more attention when I go through with my next character.

If anything, the Light seems to be the more chaotic one.
    The lore seems to indicate that before anything, there was the Gardner (Light) and the Winnower (Darkness). They played seemingly infinite games of simulated "life" and one particular final pattern or shape always superseded all others in the end.

The Gardner didn't like this, so they made a new rule by putting themselves into play in the simulated game so that other possible patterns and shapes could exist and grow. The Gardner didn't want the same thing over and over, it wanted randomness, differences, possibilities, changes, other forms and patterns to appear. This seems more chaotic to me.

The Winnower was happy with that one final shape always winning. It was perfect, its only purpose was to exist and it did it every single time. In this way, Stasis does seem appropriate for the Darkness. Set, rigid, frozen, controlled, unchanging, pristine.

I've come to think of the Traveler and the Pyramids as the Gardner's and Winnower's game pieces inserted into the universe. Like, the Gardner and Winnower themselves are so beyond comprehension, there's no way you could actually imagine or interact directly with them, so the Traveler and Pyramids are their limited manifestations in our universe so that there can be interactions, and even then the Guardians barely understand what they are. The Darkness thinks the Light fucked up by uplifting these lifeforms that are still doomed to suffer and die by the Final Shape which will eventually win The Game again. That's why the Nightmares appear on the Moon, the Darkness is showing us the horrible things that have been experienced by all these people. Because the Light interfered with the natural way of things, all these people and lives will exist, yes, but they'll endure pain and loss and suffering and death, and for what point? A false semblance of hope? Does the Light even care, or is it just uplifting things until it finds something that can beat the Final Shape so that it can say "hah, fuck you" to the Winnower?

Anyway, this shit is cool and I like thinking about it.

Yeah, that's one of the elements I like about Destiny lore, shaking up the ancient Light v. Dark dynamic and putting a new spin on it.
    I've long thought that Light was more equivalent to Chaos and Darkness to Order too.
    I think of Light as the essence of variety, and Darkness as the essence of simplicity.

H9f4bVe.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Also, am I crazy and missing them or did they completely remove all the "damage with special weapon => super energy" mods? (pump action, light reactor, etc)

I can't find them anywhere.

They are gone. Which is a little sad, but i can understand the logic, especially with the rebuilt mod system. it's worth noting that Thresh exists as a mod now, which does a similar purpose. (Also Ashes to Assets is a lot more accessible - it's now a head solar mod, instead of solar class mod)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    That feeling you get after 3 powerfuls and a pinnacle in a row all dropped as fucking class items...

“Why am I playing this shit”

Sirialis on
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    So the new stasis grenade launcher.

I miiiight have discovered an awesome bug with it?

I started using it immediately in the mission to get it, and just for funsies started spamming the thing at the huge Brig at the end. And the remaining half of the thing's very meaty health bar just evaporated.

Which is weird, right? The purpose of the thing is a freeze on command and not insane damage. Well, where the boss had been standing, there were six stasis crystals stacked vertically from my spamming the weapon.

So either the boss got moved vertically in a way it could not handle, or I somehow squished the thing with spamming crystals at it.

I'm gonna see if I can't mulch a strike boss or two today and report back. This is likely nothing... but if it isn't, this should be pretty fun.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Variks repeatable bounties are giving 10k each right now, instead of 4k, if you wanted to take advantage of that. I hear most repeatable bounties are at the moment - crucible, vanguard etc.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    In a Gambit game I was in last night, there were 2 invaders attacking my team at the same time :exclaim:

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I got stuck in Insight Terminus, Kargen didnt flee near the portal like he is supposed to.

So he kept being there, hostile, immune to damage and insta stomping you into a wall if you got near.

So I heard that a certain someone's chilling out at the Tower's Bazaar and sure enough:

REKlsnZh.png

Old man, why are you playing around with your cosmic dice here? Get your butt to the Hanger where it oughta be! So full of disappoint at you right now!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't know if this synergy is intentional or whether it's yet another bug but I really, really hope it's intentional because gun/armor combinations would be a very addition to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5frdIDm2FyI