As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Looking pretty likely that NYC public schools go remote in the near future. Really don't know how we'll stay sane. Last time was hard and I think it will be even harder this time.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    My 4-year-old has taken to being stubborn, and what he says goes, so talking isn't always so great, yeaah....

Oh yeah. My oldest is 4.5 and when he turned four there was some super attitude for a while. Apparently the "F*** you Fours" are a thing.

:so_raven:
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    My 4-year-old has taken to being stubborn, and what he says goes, so talking isn't always so great, yeaah....

Oh yeah. My oldest is 4.5 and when he turned four there was some super attitude for a while. Apparently the "F*** you Fours" are a thing.

Four years old was the first time my daughter called me a stupid asshole. Thanks, other kid in her preschool that decided to teach a language class!

Fourrible.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    Looking pretty likely that NYC public schools go remote in the near future. Really don't know how we'll stay sane. Last time was hard and I think it will be even harder this time.

I'm not sure why. They seem to be saying that kids don't spread the virus so much but they want to close schools anyway? Perhaps it's to do with Thanksgiving coming up, when kids will definitely be hugging their grandparents.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I'm not sure why. They seem to be saying that kids don't spread the virus so much but they want to close schools anyway? Perhaps it's to do with Thanksgiving coming up, when kids will definitely be hugging their grandparents.

"Kids don't spread the virus as much" is probably true-ish, but it's definitely not confirmed. And "as much" is still possibly a lot when you consider how much Covid is just spreading anyways among the population. You're right, too, that Thanksgiving and other upcoming holidays will make it worse, in addition to colder weather.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    As a condition for opening schools in the fall the mayor agreed with the relevant unions that schools would close if the positive test rate rose above 3%. Now, as is usual in NYC it's not really clear the mayor has the authority to close schools, but regardless the 3% threshold is getting close.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Since our school district has realized that they can't trust any of the parents around here to not properly social distance, they're shutting down any in-person learning for the week after Thanksgiving so there's a lower rate of asymptomatic cases.

Shutting down for a solid
    kime wrote: »

"Kids don't spread the virus as much" is probably true-ish, but it's definitely not confirmed. And "as much" is still possibly a lot when you consider how much Covid is just spreading anyways among the population. You're right, too, that Thanksgiving and other upcoming holidays will make it worse, in addition to colder weather.

I'm definately pro schools being open, because studies around the world have shown that you can have them open and still control spread. The issue is that if community spread is terrible, even if the school isn't CAUSING it, you are still sending out the kids and teachers to potentially be exposed in the many other infectious places. The teachers especially are at risk of being exposed from other teachers if the spread is out of control.

Effectively schools closing is a symptom of your failure, not a treatment. Close bars, restaurants, limit non essential medical services, ban in person indoor gatherings other than in safety controlled workspaces and ban travel to treat the problem. Close schools to minimize the most severe 'symptoms' of the problem.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    As a condition for opening schools in the fall the mayor agreed with the relevant unions that schools would close if the positive test rate rose above 3%. Now, as is usual in NYC it's not really clear the mayor has the authority to close schools, but regardless the 3% threshold is getting close.

Yeah, the union was threatening to strike. And they never reevaluated the number after schools opened. Everyone is saying there's no science behind the closing, and they're not closing indoor dining or gyms or anything. It's just theater.
    The spring was not good for us. Not looking forward to this.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    With proper precautions, I think schools can mostly safely be re-opened. Most communities and schools aren't doing that though. Closing schools does reduce the spread because a lot of schools aren't taking these precautions for a variety of reasons. Let alone, as mentioned, the horrible community spread in the US.

Steam profile
    Nyc is doing regular random testing of students. Free testing is available to anybody, and it's relatively easy to get. Schools are closing if there are cases. Masks are being worn. Classes are small and distanced.
    Businesses are open. Parents will be going to work. Various daycares, babysitters, etc are not going to be as good as the schools are.

Nyc is doing regular random testing of students. Free testing is available to anybody, and it's relatively easy to get. Schools are closing if there are cases. Masks are being worn. Classes are small and distanced.
    Businesses are open. Parents will be going to work. Various daycares, babysitters, etc are not going to be as good as the schools are.

Agree with all this. Plus the added costs for alternate care can be significant as well

Anyone got recommendations for a science YouTube channel for kids? My 4.5 year old is starting to have questions about things i can’t always explain well.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Anyone got recommendations for a science YouTube channel for kids? My 4.5 year old is starting to have questions about things i can’t always explain well.

Have you tried endlessly shouting how obvious it all is?

As a backup, mystery doug. It's a great YouTube channel for kids science. However, its on YouTube so you will have to remain vigilant or YouTube will quickly have your kid watching all sorts of nonsense.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    We used to look up rube goldberg devices and the like on YouTube for my son. Even at 4, he quickly found annoying channels that we hated. Mostly kids playing with toys and unboxing and insipid kids "cartoons".
    Tried YouTube kids, and it was even worse. If you can navigate Youtube better than us, there are some fun channels. Not sure of science ones in particular, though. We did the kurzgesagt videos, but I'm not sure how much he retained as they aren't really " kiddy". Easy to find, but easy to also click away from.
    We stick to regular streaming. How it's made is on hulu. Emily's wonder lab is on Netflix.

Thanks folks, yeah my searching on YouTube hasn’t turned up much, so happy to look at other alternatives. Emily’s Wonderlab was great we’ve watched that.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Science Max is the show you're looking for. (three full seasons on youtube)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDP1X-JcSVI

Other suggestions include Sid the Science Kid on the (free) PBS kids ap. And a fairly new show called Eleanor wonders Why, also on PBS kids.

BSoB on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Heh. Eleanor wonders why. Man if that's not ever fucking true.

My kids name is Eleanor. That's why this is funny.

Apparently Celiac's can mess with your immune system, and you can lose vaccination immunity.
    Latest blood test shows my daughter's Celiac's is mostly under control. No longer anemic, either.
    But lost her Help B immunity. So now she gets to do the shots over again. And the doctor wants her to get a pneumonia vaccine for the winter.
    Poor kid. I mean, all things considered, it's good we caught it and are taking care of things. But shots are no fun.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Apparently Celiac's can mess with your immune system, and you can lose vaccination immunity.
    Latest blood test shows my daughter's Celiac's is mostly under control. No longer anemic, either.
    But lost her Help B immunity. So now she gets to do the shots over again. And the doctor wants her to get a pneumonia vaccine for the winter.
    Poor kid. I mean, all things considered, it's good we caught it and are taking care of things. But shots are no fun.

I hadn't heard about celiac causing loss of immunity? My wife has it, and we'll be having Sapling tested before too long. I guess I'll need to take her out to eat some gluten food before we do that...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »

I hadn't heard about celiac causing loss of immunity? My wife has it, and we'll be having Sapling tested before too long. I guess I'll need to take her out to eat some gluten food before we do that...

Doing a little more research, apparently it's hep B that's the main concern. I guess the rest are ok, but there's something about that vaccine where the body doesn't respond as usual.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Our baby has developed reflux, this manifests itself as continuously vomiting the stomach contents up when laying flat. Seriously, lay him down to change the nappy - vomit everywhere. Lay him in the cot to sleep? will over the course of 15 minutes vomit everything consumed in the past couple of hours.

Everything we've read and been told is that this will resolve itself by the time he is 6 months old. The problem is he doesnt sleep while this is happening, he makes sounds like he is drowning (probably because that is what is happening with the milk pooled at the back of his throat!) and is extremely agitated, making it impossible for us to sleep. The only way to stop this is to hold him upright which makes him (mostly) fine.

Currently we are taking night shifts holding him upright so he can sleep (and not need lots of extra food), which is why i'm typing this at half two in the morning...

We looked into what could help, but its all stuff we are drilled not to do: have him face down, sleep wedge, keep him in car seat etc... (these all work we have safely tested)

He has an ultrasound in a weeks time, but most of the NHS advice is just tough it out till 6 months. But I'm back at work on monday, no idea how we are going to last 6 months of this with me working!

Anyone else dealt with this? anything help?

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Our baby has developed reflux, this manifests itself as continuously vomiting the stomach contents up when laying flat. Seriously, lay him down to change the nappy - vomit everywhere. Lay him in the cot to sleep? will over the course of 15 minutes vomit everything consumed in the past couple of hours.

Everything we've read and been told is that this will resolve itself by the time he is 6 months old. The problem is he doesnt sleep while this is happening, he makes sounds like he is drowning (probably because that is what is happening with the milk pooled at the back of his throat!) and is extremely agitated, making it impossible for us to sleep. The only way to stop this is to hold him upright which makes him (mostly) fine.

Currently we are taking night shifts holding him upright so he can sleep (and not need lots of extra food), which is why i'm typing this at half two in the morning...

We looked into what could help, but its all stuff we are drilled not to do: have him face down, sleep wedge, keep him in car seat etc... (these all work we have safely tested)

He has an ultrasound in a weeks time, but most of the NHS advice is just tough it out till 6 months. But I'm back at work on monday, no idea how we are going to last 6 months of this with me working!

We had this a bit with our boy at around 4 weeks. I say had, he still gurgles and splutters a lot when laid flat, and occasionally spits up, which sucks. Things that helped: he spent a lot of time sleeping on one of us (not in bed, but like, on the sofa at 2AM), at a slight angle, and that helped a lot. It's tied in to us sleeping in shifts - the Mrs takes him 10-3, and I take him 3-9, and that way we both get at least some sleep. Hopefully enough that I can work, because I too am back at work on Monday!

Otherwise, we tried switching formula brands, and that may have helped too. I suspect though iut was mostly him growing a bit and the bits that are meant to stop reflux getting better at it. So yeah, toughing it out, sorry mate.

edited November 2020

We were receiving help for Saplings cleft palate at the time, but Seattle Children's Hospital made us this big foam wedge, and we would have to swaddle her, then strap her onto the wedge. We actually had two, one with the straps for sleeping, and one for her changing pad, which I had to try and shape the bottom to sit on our changing pad.

First photo is the wedge they made for us. Second is just and adorable photo from iirc 10 months when we were trying to get her monthly photo to make one of those first year collages.
    44iwcrx7fm0b.jpg
    tx2ine8jv0m5.jpg
    Edit: also, we basically had a half hour rule. Baby stays upright for about half an hour after any feeding. It made for one really shitty event when she was 5 or 6 weeks old and we were on vacation with the family, and Sapling was hungry so I fed her, but then immediately afterwards, the grandparents decided they absolutely had to hit up Costco, and my wife and I were the only ones with Costco cards, so my wife drove to Costco with them, while I walked ~45 minute with the baby in a lillebaby to get to the Costco.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

You were drilled not to use a wedge? Our hospital recommended that for our newborn lol

Steam profile
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    You were drilled not to use a wedge? Our hospital recommended that for our newborn lol

Yeah, both our UK and CA docs were very clear that anything other than a flat, unobstructed surface was bad.

I don't know that I'd grab any old wedge. The one we had was a fairly stiff foam, with a piece along the bottom to stop her from sliding down, and side rails to stop her from rolling off, plus the straps so she can't roll over them/over in general (although she wasn't able to roll anyways).

Also, my wife is informing me it was an hour after eating, not 30 minutes. Everything is a vaguely unpleasant blur for the first ~3 months, and then all I remember is the sound of her giggling and seeing her smile.

edited November 2020
    I don't know that I'd grab any old wedge. The one we had was a fairly stiff foam, with a piece along the bottom to stop her from sliding down, and side rails to stop her from rolling off, plus the straps so she can't roll over them/over in general (although she wasn't able to roll anyways).

Also, my wife is informing me it was an hour after eating, not 30 minutes. Everything is a vaguely unpleasant blur for the first ~3 months, and then all I remember is the sound of her giggling and seeing her smile.

Pretty much the only time ours is not upright is when we are changing their nappy. Makes no difference in them vomiting. So long as there is food in their stomach they will vomit it all up when flat, and if there's no food in their stomach you can bet they'll be letting you know it is feeding time!

edit: the longer its been the more it looks like cottage cheese, which is mildly disconcerting

Honestly the wedge looks great, I just wish i knew the research they have to justify not using it.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Our 18 month old has suffered with reflux for the past 6 months or so.

Unfortunately there isn't a quick fix other than wait it out until their stomach muscles are strong enough to hold everything down.

Similar story to yours, he'd puke about an hour after being set down for bed. Continuous coughing too.

We had some success with swapping cow's milk for oat milk (though this isn't recommended until they're over 12 months).

We tried moving dinner a bit earlier in the day so he had more time to digest before falling asleep. This helped a little but there really wasn't any rhyme or reason as to when it happened.

You can get stuff called snufflebabe from Tesco which is similar to Vics which your rub on their chest and it acts as a bit of a decongestant. That seemed to help a little too.

It will get better but it's going to be a long job :(

SharpyVII on
    I guess they recommended sticking something under the mattress iirc, so the baby would still be on they're normal sleeping surface and everything. Just inclined a bit.

Steam profile

Pretty much the only time ours is not upright is when we are changing their nappy. Makes no difference in them vomiting. So long as there is food in their stomach they will vomit it all up when flat, and if there's no food in their stomach you can bet they'll be letting you know it is feeding time!

edit: the longer its been the more it looks like cottage cheese, which is mildly disconcerting

Honestly the wedge looks great, I just wish i knew the research they have to justify not using it.

With car seats it was my understand that babies heads might tip forward and cut off airflow some way.

With wedges, it is my understanding that it's similar to the Rock'n'Play recall, which involved babies managing to roll on their stomachs and suffocating. I have no idea how many people were using rock'n'plays (we did, and it was super useful), but apparently 30 babies died in a rock'n'play, meriting the recall. That feels statistically unlikely to happen, but ultimately it has to be something you feel comfortable with or not.

With Sapling, the first 3 months or so were real hard, but it eventually got much easier. Wife is also mentioning that the 6 month mark really did see a significant improvement in reflux.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I guess they recommended sticking something under the mattress iirc, so the baby would still be on they're normal sleeping surface and everything. Just inclined a bit.

This is what we were told to do. I put a folded towel under the head end of the mattress.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah we did the folded towel under the top of the mattress thing with both Burpette and Nending as they would vomit a huge amount if completely flat

It was Burpette's health visitor that suggested it. The wedges look to be a much more extreme angle so maybe that's why they're not recommended.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    You know, for all I said that the first three months were hard for us too, I really miss having her all cuddled up and snuggly. She'll snuggle with us sometimes these days, but only on her very strict terms.

This feels like one of the those times when you need to decide between your sanity/what works for your family and the very stern and very certain advice. Personally, I'd put something under the bed to keep the bed flat, but let them sleep on an incline and just monitor the baby extra closely the first few times they slept on it.

This feels like one of the those times when you need to decide between your sanity/what works for your family and the very stern and very certain advice. Personally, I'd put something under the bed to keep the bed flat, but let them sleep on an incline and just monitor the baby extra closely the first few times they slept on it.

We ended up wedging him on his left side which helped! Showing my wife this whole exchange helped a lot too.

But what really helped is taking him for his scheduled checkup with the midwife, whereupon he projectile vomited all over her, then again when he was being changed, and once more for good measure after being fed during the checkup. This convinced them that maybe we weren't exaggerating, and they booked a doctor's appointment for us later in the evening. Doctor prescribed some milk thickener, and that combined with the side sleeping and we've finally got some sleep ourselves!

Thank you for all the help and listening everyone :)

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

We ended up wedging him on his left side which helped! Showing my wife this whole exchange helped a lot too.

But what really helped is taking him for his scheduled checkup with the midwife, whereupon he projectile vomited all over her, then again when he was being changed, and once more for good measure after being fed during the checkup. This convinced them that maybe we weren't exaggerating, and they booked a doctor's appointment for us later in the evening. Doctor prescribed some milk thickener, and that combined with the side sleeping and we've finally got some sleep ourselves!

Thank you for all the help and listening everyone :)

When Burpette was really small (maybe 3 weeks or so) she went to a thing to help doctor's train on using diagnostic equipment on newborns. I can't remember the specific bit of kit the junior doctors were trying to use on her. Maybe a baby MRI? Anyhow she fended off all attempts with endless high pressure streams of vomit. The senior doctor who was supervising found this hilarious. The junior doctors who all needed to get changed did not.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    re: advice on sleeping, I went off about this back in 2019!

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/41524556/#Comment_41524556

It's exhausting in every way...

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    We have a 4 years old and (nearly) 2 year old in daycare. We've been pretty impressed with the level of precautions they've been taking. But nonetheless, you can't prevent workers and parents from being stupid outside of the school setting. One of the staff members showed up to work with a "small cold". She was only there for a few hours before the administrator came in and made her go home and get tested, but of course it was in my daughter's toddler class. And I've seen this worker have her mask not fully on multiple times. That worker tested positive. So now we're stuck in self-isolation for 2 weeks and we've been waiting about 4 days now for our COVID test results.

I am beyond frustrated with just how irresponsible some people can be. This worker has made statements in the past that caused me to be concerned about how seriously she was taking all of this.

We are tempted to take our kids out until mid-January. While this is the only case the school has had since the pandemic started, my son has made statements saying some of his friends are going on plane trips over Thanksgiving.

My wife and I both work from home. We nearly pulled out hair out when everything was shut down for a few months last spring. Feeling a lot of anxiety about having the kids home during my busiest time of the year. But we just can't trust that other parents are doing the right thing over the holidays.

The plus side is that since we'll be so isolated at home, we might be able to do an in-person Christmas with my in-laws, who are quite high risk. Other than daycare and doing activities outside like walks and playing at a playground (when not busy), we have done basically nothing the last few months. And now that it's starting to snow and get consistently cold out, most of that will go by the wayside too.

I'm so ready for this to be over. And I hate how poorly the whole pandemic has been handled from a federal, state and local level.

camo_sig2.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    My youngest has successfully passed his cooties on to me, so I've been sleeping on and off all day. My God a sick six year old can make an amazing mess when daddy is unconscious from kiddy germs.

This experience only strengthens my resolve to get the vaccine when its available to me. Of all the single dad nightmare scenarios I can imagine, the three of us getting seriously sick at the same time is the one that concerns me the most. I've got to be able to care for them when they are sick.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Question, are there some good night time diapers? My little girl is one and pees through her diaper /pants every night. We try to put a fresh one on her when she goes to sleep, but she always leaks. We've tried every brand but haven't looked into night time diapers, or even know if they exist. Last time I looked I could only find night time diapers for older kids.

I'm starting to worry we're gonna have to get her tested for diabetes.