As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't know about the Gambit or Vanguard quests but the Adored is very easy to get in the crucible.

it was super easy in Strikes. get kills with snipers, earn points in strikes and kill bosses for the first step. 2nd part was kill and precision kills with snipers and bosses again i think. knocked out the 2nd part in a single run of The Corrupted and wasn't even trying especially hard to get it. have now picked up all the quests for the ornaments, including the Crucible one cause why not?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The choice of Stasis seems like a mistake to me. It did before release and it still does now I've gotten to use it.

In one way it's cool becasue it's new and different from the old elemental subclasses but in every other way it seems bad.

Spoilers for early campaign dialog (very minor spoilers anyone could guess, probably, but just in case):
    The Stranger plays up how the Darkness tempts and wants you to give in to your urges but stasis isn't a terribly tempting ability. When The Darkness Beckons I sigh internally because I know I'm going to end up having a meh time. My grenade isn't useful to spam and my super feels like I'd be happier if I could bust out a to-level Loaded Question.

The lore and some of the dialog plays up how Darkness == Chaos but ice powers are literally the opposite.

I feel like our first brush with Darkness powers should have had a lot more bang. I have no idea what, considering how explodey/zappy the existing classes are, but something that feels like playing with fire. Tearing apart reality to destroy the enemy and endangering yourself at the same time.

Given the rumors that we'll be getting more Darkness subclasses (which seems obviously, really) I'm betting there's one in the works using Hive green fire. Probably with lots of swords. I think that would've been a better choice for our first Darkness class.

But maybe it's subtler than that and the relatively banality of Stasis is the Darkness trying to lure us in by saying, "Hey, look, I'm mostly a utility! Nothing super dangerous here!"

I'm curious, what lore plays up that Darkness == Chaos? I'll need to pay more attention when I go through with my next character.

If anything, the Light seems to be the more chaotic one.
    The lore seems to indicate that before anything, there was the Gardner (Light) and the Winnower (Darkness). They played seemingly infinite games of simulated "life" and one particular final pattern or shape always superseded all others in the end.

The Gardner didn't like this, so they made a new rule by putting themselves into play in the simulated game so that other possible patterns and shapes could exist and grow. The Gardner didn't want the same thing over and over, it wanted randomness, differences, possibilities, changes, other forms and patterns to appear. This seems more chaotic to me.

The Winnower was happy with that one final shape always winning. It was perfect, its only purpose was to exist and it did it every single time. In this way, Stasis does seem appropriate for the Darkness. Set, rigid, frozen, controlled, unchanging, pristine.

I've come to think of the Traveler and the Pyramids as the Gardner's and Winnower's game pieces inserted into the universe. Like, the Gardner and Winnower themselves are so beyond comprehension, there's no way you could actually imagine or interact directly with them, so the Traveler and Pyramids are their limited manifestations in our universe so that there can be interactions, and even then the Guardians barely understand what they are. The Darkness thinks the Light fucked up by uplifting these lifeforms that are still doomed to suffer and die by the Final Shape which will eventually win The Game again. That's why the Nightmares appear on the Moon, the Darkness is showing us the horrible things that have been experienced by all these people. Because the Light interfered with the natural way of things, all these people and lives will exist, yes, but they'll endure pain and loss and suffering and death, and for what point? A false semblance of hope? Does the Light even care, or is it just uplifting things until it finds something that can beat the Final Shape so that it can say "hah, fuck you" to the Winnower?

Anyway, this shit is cool and I like thinking about it.

You're right, the pre-BL lore was pretty "Darkness wants simplicty". I recall thinking the ice thing made sense when the first reveal trailer came out.

I was talking about the BL-specific lore.
    The Clovis Bray journal pages specifically talk about using Darkness as, basically, a random noise generator to prevent Exos from going insane because the force of Darkness is naturally chaotic and corrosive. Then, during the campaign, someone... I want to say it was Elsie but maybe it was Eramis or Eramis' luetenant? someone, anyway, says, I think word-for-word, "The Darkness is chaos".

It may just be a matter of different writers working at cross purposes. I dunno. It just seems like the garden lore book fit more with the stasis power set than the Clovis book or what anybody in-game says about itv.

Played a couple of rounds of Crucible today with stasis. It is, indeed, pretty OP there. I don't really even see how you fix it unless they change freeze from a hard lock to just a slow effect or something.

Re: The darkness and the Clovis Bray journal:
    The journal is very clear on the Darkness being the Winnower. There's an entire entry in the starting section on Clarity and what it does and he describes it as a universal solvent that reduces things down to only their most robust base components. It's not darkness that causes chaos in exo minds, it's vex fluid reduced by darkness down to a sort of base version of itself.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Beat the final BL boss last night.
    lISvUKBh.png

It was nice to be treated to such a lovely view afterwards. All things considered...

cmGQPrYh.png

...I'm glad I didn't actually break you, Eramis. You make for a lovely perch whole as you are.

Why yes, I am a grown adult. Why do you ask?

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Beat the final BL boss last night.
    lISvUKBh.png

It was nice to be treated to such a lovely view afterwards. All things considered...

cmGQPrYh.png

...I'm glad I didn't actually break you, Eramis. You make for a lovely perch whole as you are.

Why yes, I am a grown adult. Why do you ask?

I tried to break it as soon as I could.

Wait until Crow finds out Cayde still got shooters out here.

• Options
    Man, some things in this game feel really weird, like there's pieces missing or something.

I finish the campaign and suddenly Drifter is all "Hey, about those blueprint you found for a stasis grenade launcher" and I'm like "Wait, what blueprint? What are you talking about?".

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Man, some things in this game feel really weird, like there's pieces missing or something.

I finish the campaign and suddenly Drifter is all "Hey, about those blueprint you found for a stasis grenade launcher" and I'm like "Wait, what blueprint? What are you talking about?".

You have to read the flavor texts a lot this time around. I'm actually shocked we got as many voice lines as we did. Especially for the player character.

• Options
    edited November 2020

You have to read the flavor texts a lot this time around. I'm actually shocked we got as many voice lines as we did. Especially for the player character.

Where was it? I read all the text and listened to all the voicelines I found. Didn't see anything about the stasis grenade launcher and blueprints.

I generally like to read all the quest stuff so it was really jarring to have it come out of nowhere.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Where was it?

When you hovered over the text for the quest in your questlog, it explained what the drifter was talking about.
    If you mean, when did we get the blueprints, I believe it's when we killed the Technocrat? In one of the cutscenes the leader's arm becomes corrupted, and they chop it off. That arm I think is what they based the blueprints off of, after giving the Technocrat the arm.

Actually it may have been Kirdis, I'm having trouble keeping the fallen mooks straight

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    The lead-in to Drifter's quest is the Aspect Of Control quest.

• Options
    Anyone reading the Dark Future book? I'm halfway through earning it's pages and man it's dire.
    Drifter dead in an Exo-lab in Europa, Eris gone so dark even Savathun is said to be her pawn. Speaking of which, she not only killed Zavala's Ghost but RIPPED OFF ONE OF HIS LEGS. Oh, and the Traveler ended up ditching Earth like it did previously to other worlds. AND if it's the same here, the Almighty wreckage has the plans and blueprints to Ghaul's Light-cage/drainer.

The mission-line that unlocks it, Born In Darkness, isn't very happy either.
    Elsie in the second Lost Sector admits that she killed her timeline's Ana for getting corrupted and that Ana could be another potential Clovis if she's not careful.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    So I'm tooling around with this a bit, I had not tried Destiny before, and I'm kind of unclear what the gameplay loop is or what I should be doing now that I've finished(?) the tutorial(?) in the Cosmodrome and gotten Cayde-6's electric submachinegun.
    Am I supposed to do this Gambit PvP mode it sort of seems like it's pushing me to do now? I am not interested in the PvP at all, I was more into the first bit with single player and co-op scripted stuff and story. Is there more story after that? Or is this game more of a storyless, open ended framework for grinding for random loot drops in open world areas and then doing PvP with MMO guns?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    You have to pay money for the rest of the story campaigns, so if you didn't then you've reached the end of what's available to you. If you paid for the season pass, then you'll need to wait till next week for them to start up that stuff. If you did buy Forsaken, then you probably need to go into the Tangled Shore area to find the starting mission, if you bought Shadowkeep then you need to go to the Moon, and if you bought Beyond Light you need to go to Europa.

If you didn't buy anything, at the very least you should have gotten a questline for each of the things you can do over and over: Vanguard (aka Strikes, pure PvE), Crucible (pure PvP), and Gambit (PvE + PvP mix). I don't remember if you need to do the story strike before you can get the Riskrunner, so if you haven't done it yet, you should do that at least.

Opty on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Yeah, for free players it's mostly just the playlist activities (Strikes, Crucible, Gambit), Seasonal content (starting next week), patrols, and quests.

• Options
    ah ok, that actually explains a lot, thank you! I think they should make it a little clearer where the meaty parts of the game are. What about story content the game launched with, that's not part of the paid expansions? Has that all been "vaulted" away now?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Everything Year-1 storywise has been vaulted, yeah.

• Options
    The three stories formerly part of the free game (Red War, Warmind, Curse of Osiris) are all gone now, yeah.

In the Tower, next to the postmaster there's a little computer terminal on the wall, tucked in a corner. That's the Quest Archive, that might have some stuff in it you can do. I dunno what's in it for new players, for older players it's quests that you abandoned or never picked up.

• Options
    seems like a bad idea to me, if I didn't have a forum to ask for advice I would have assumed the free to play version of the game was giving me a full vertical slice of the game like a demo.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    god there was this brief period just after they reworked warlock where u could do like 2 different kinds of momentum cancel and vector using the reworked double charge icarus dash and i spent like 3 days literally just hopping around patrol areas listening to disco going fast and not even doing objectives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTTX0v928c

i wanna try and find something that lets u go fast, icarus + melee extension is ok but its not quite enough, and the lockout frames on melee are so chonky now

i cant give up fighting lion tho ive been using that thing continuously for everything for 3 years and i still havent found anything as fun to replace it

it feels like theres a new bounce u can do where u can bounce off a air to ground sword thing in the air higher than usual but its not speedy so much as high

something that would be so fun would be adding things that eg let u consume charged with light to move faster or extend melee range, or give u finisher options analogous to some of the stuff in doom. this would not be affecting pvp really but could make the pve feel a lot more dynamic movementwise. it also feels like they have gently nerfed the slide boosting too which feels bad

EDIT: @Bizazedo the sword jump u linked was indeed a hunter stasis specific thing as i thought - its if u shatterdive while going off the edge, so sprint, sword heavy, jump and dive almost immediately

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PvP icy boi highlights so far
    https://youtu.be/gjtM-5Cp86k

• Options
    There will be more for free players to play soon, the Seasonal content starts up on Tuesday and will have some stuff for you to do. Also, there's events, namely The Dawning in December and Iron Banner about every month.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    @Local H Jay Awesome clips and terrific song choice. Really enjoyed.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    @Local H Jay Awesome clips and terrific song choice. Really enjoyed.

I tried to use "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner but youtube really didn't like that so this was my second choice

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    It took me nearly the whole week to get through the campaign, get through the Aspect quest, and get through my first fragment on one character.

Granted there were some detours for PVP and real life, but I put in a solid chunk of time, and yet it still felt like it took a long time to get through and to unlock stuff. And I'm not really playing casually (though I admit not hardcore). So yeah, I can get how some audiences feel there isn't much to do, but I still felt a bit overwhelmed throughout the week. And picking the Gambit quest for a fragment probably didn't help too much.

I'm excited to see what Stasis-style specs can bring to the table. Even just getting the first Titan aspect and a Fragment and the three grenades seemed to open things up. I look forward to them revisiting Light-subclasses, though there are 9 of them so maybe that is a pipedream.

Still, a solid week of Destiny, and the lore stuff is good so I'm pretty happy thus far with the expansion.

• Options
    I've been enjoying the new PvP stuff, however surface level it is. I got Adored and the ornament pretty quickly though, I really wish pinnacles were still a thing even though I know why they're going away from that model. I like having a purpose in PvP, and being forced to mixup my playstyle with guns I usually abstain from. The Trials delay + no new map means I really hope we get some more PvP stuff in the Season Pass

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    So the Anti-Barrier Pulse Rifle atifact arms mod...

It says it grants "shield piercing" to whatever pulse rifle you're holding. I assumed this meant that I'd just do damage to shielded dudes as if they were not shielded but that doesn't seem to be the case. Captains, Minotaurs, etc. that have an elemental shield I still plink away ineffectively at their shield with my kinetic PR, but I can shoot straight through the normally invulnerable shields of a Hydra. Is that how that's worked before with the anti-barrier mods? I don't feel like I've ever noticed shooting through hydra shields before.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It definitely let you shoot through Hobgoblin Invincibility aura, but that may be a change that accompanied letting you shoot through Taken Phalanx shields and whatnot.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

It seems like the exotic stasis grenade launcher can be used to one-shot raid bosses.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    It also shoots through Hydra shields.

Edit: Anti-Barrier rounds that is.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options

It says it grants "shield piercing" to whatever pulse rifle you're holding. I assumed this meant that I'd just do damage to shielded dudes as if they were not shielded but that doesn't seem to be the case. Captains, Minotaurs, etc. that have an elemental shield I still plink away ineffectively at their shield with my kinetic PR, but I can shoot straight through the normally invulnerable shields of a Hydra. Is that how that's worked before with the anti-barrier mods? I don't feel like I've ever noticed shooting through hydra shields before.

Yes, that's how it's always worked. It doesn't shoot through normal elemental shields. But it does shoot through basically all the invincibility shields that units have as special abilities. Except for Taken Phalanx shields, which it does now but didn't used to. So Hobgoblin invicibility, Knight shields, etc, etc it's always worked on.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Correct, it's not referring to elemental shields. The mod is mainly meant for Barrier Champions, which show up in harder tiers of the Nightfall, the Garden of Salvation raid, and now the harder tiers of the new Lost Sectors. When a Barrier Champion takes enough damage, an invincibility bubble barrier pops up and they heal, so you need Anti-Barrier to shoot through it and stop them. Anti-Barrier also has the side effect of shooting through other barriers such as the Hydra rotating shields, Knight shields, Hobgoblin invincibility aura, and a few other things

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    ye after he posted the last one i checked them both out while investigating the exact mechanics to see if they were more complicated than just unhandled momentum states in the new moves (they arent)

the former is just worldline v2 and i imagine will meet a similar fate (plus not really usable in combat, very much for speeding thru content)

second i saw people already macroing and is actually a variant on something i had messed around with before (there were some swap-specific things u could do that were funny in older versions but u need the new broken state stuff to get real speed out of it)

unsure if will be fixed speedily but (aside from being v fiddly and not really combat-usable) is titan-specific and they lack the fashion to be playable, a major obstacle

my major interest is more in making moment to moment combat feel smoother and more dynamic than the speedrunning specific stuff which on the whole was historically just about getting a broken ass burst of speed and then just bouncing thru the geo to the endpoint

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Correct, it's not referring to elemental shields. The mod is mainly meant for Barrier Champions, which show up in harder tiers of the Nightfall, the Garden of Salvation raid, and now the harder tiers of the new Lost Sectors. When a Barrier Champion takes enough damage, an invincibility bubble barrier pops up and they heal, so you need Anti-Barrier to shoot through it and stop them. Anti-Barrier also has the side effect of shooting through other barriers such as the Hydra rotating shields, Knight shields, Hobgoblin invincibility aura, and a few other things

Yeah, I'm familiar with barrier champions. Previous seasons I've only ever bothered putting anti-barrier on anything when I was actively doing content that needed it and guess I either never tried or just didn't notice if I shot through other stuff.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

It seems like the exotic stasis grenade launcher can be used to one-shot raid bosses.

Just looked through his clips on Twitter
    The raid is definitely getting delayed, right

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    If Warlocks break PvE enough we might get PvP balanced soon!

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »

Just looked through his clips on Twitter
    The raid is definitely getting delayed, right

Probably not. Seems more likely that if the GL impacts the new raid as well then they'd disable the launcher before delaying the raid, if they can't fix it before this weekend.

Between this and Witherhoard it seems like they just borf'd up grenade launchers with lasting effects.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    More Osiris and Sagira, this time with seasonal stuff:
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/49747

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So, tomorrow the Season of the Hunt starts, so it seems a good time to ask now....how's Beyond Light for everyone thus far? We don't have the raid, true, but besides that we have the expansion content as the Season is separate.

A bit grindy to me (Go do 3 strikes. Okay now go do more), but I liked it overall, but it felt rushed / not done / unsure if it's a $40-$60 worth expansion. We'll see how the raid goes / is, if it even happens this week.

Probably not. Seems more likely that if the GL impacts the new raid as well then they'd disable the launcher before delaying the raid, if they can't fix it before this weekend.

Between this and Witherhoard it seems like they just borf'd up grenade launchers with lasting effects.

But doesn't the Warlock infinite super bug still exist? Or did they fix that?

Wasn't that the real reason they pushed Trials back two weeks?

That and I don't think that was the Stasis GL messing up, it was just freezing Riven and 5 Warlocks unloading.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm barely scratching the content so far, but I ran into my first Wyvern last night. Plinking away at it with my bow for a bit and it hovers in the air. So I get ready to dodge the incoming missiles I assume it must be firing. The shock I felt when it just charged me like some Titan in PvP just...

I stopped playing for a few minutes after because I was laughing too much.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    More Osiris and Sagira, this time with seasonal stuff:
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/49747

This story is insane, especially the end.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).