As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity; who in the series has been the most enjoyable mage character to play as, do you think?

I personally have had tons of fun playing as Xillia's Rowen, and Berseria's Laphicet, for different reasons. Rowen deals with the casting time problem by having that one neat skill that lets you charge, cancel, then keep casting from the same point. He also has that skill that lets him spam weak spells in succession. Laphicet can do actual combos with high-strength magic, and it's so satisfying to blow everything up.

Also, what kind of fashion stuff do you like to do with the accessories in later games? In Berseria, I've had Magilou wear a top hat stacked on a cowboy hat for hours now.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Pascal is fun because she's totally backwards - long range beam barrage attacks and close range nuke spells.
    Milla worked fine, but she's not a pure caster even if she could nuke everything - being able to switch between standard sword skills and long range nukes is valuable.
    Rita, but Vesperia's OLs solve all the problems of casters quite nicely.

Never really used Laphicet, I enjoyed going full berserker Velvet too much.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Rita in Overlimit.

BLAHBLAHBLAH, TIDAL WAVE!

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I played Velvet exclusively for hours and hours, and I still like to swap back to her and go devour combo on the entire battlefield. But I was frustrated with how badly the AI was using Magilou, so I determined to figure out how to play a caster when I needed to. The results with Laphicet astounded me.

The main thing is that Malak Artes (spells) cast faster the longer your combo is. And they have a higher chance of inflicting ailments if you use a Hidden arte earlier in the combo. So if you start with a physical attack (even on empty air; this is why full Manual mode is good), then the subsequent spells get a speed boost.

But the real kicker is the Wizard’s Venitite. After you get that, you get the ability to tap the Mystic Arte button while you’re delaying a spell (hold the button associated with the spell past the end of its charge time), in order to replace that cast with a stronger spell that you also know. For example: Laphicet’s Kaleidos Ray is strong, and great at combining a monster in place. But it’s got a longer cast time, even with a combo in place. But Bright Shade can be replaced with Kaleidos Ray, and it casts really fast. And you can keep replacing spells if there’s yet another one tied to the spell you just swapped in. Kaleidos Ray can be replaced with Blessed Drops. Because of this thing, I have one of my face buttons dedicated to casting Bright Shade and Geostigma on loop, and through them, Laphicet has access to basically his entire arsenal. What I should maybe do is set up another button to do the same spells in the opposite order, so I can really do anything at any time.

So, to sum it up, if I can get a second of spare time to start a combo, Laphicet can cycle through nearly any spell I want, to either lock down one foe or blast a huge chunk of the battlefield, and do it quickly to boot. On top of that, his Break Soul is really good! It buffs the party’s defense and heals them, and the second layer keeps enemies from shaking off ailments. So I have incentive to chain one combo into the next, and lower his soul count to inflict statuses more often. This also means lots of resources for Mystic Artes.

I guess I’m sorta playing him like a magical version of Velvet. His break soul is just as conducive to spamming combos as hers.

—————

The main issue is that he gets stunned real easily, and that’s very annoying.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Faster casts from comboing was a thing in Zestiria too. ...dash dash dash NUKE was something I did a lot, since steps counted as combos.

• Options
    Ah, neat. I skipped Zestiria myself, which makes Berseria’s references to it interesting.

Steps also count as combo in Berseria, but having a hidden arte in there helps.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ah, neat. I skipped Zestiria myself, which makes Berseria’s references to it interesting.

Steps also count as combo in Berseria, but having a hidden arte in there helps.

Yeah, I'd have to double check the bonuses for each arte type in Zestiria (fired it up recently for an NG+ run because I could)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Everyone in Xillia rocking the raybans. Everyone.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    stupid wolf boss in vesperia roadblocking me (kinda literally)

I tried doing the flower stun thing but couldn't get it to work consistently. Had to grind a few levels to get past that turd. That was really the only roadblock in the game when I played through it, but I think I was over-leveled most the time after that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Other costume stuff I've done.

Elise in Xillia got the dragon stuffed animal scaled up and moved onto her back to be a novelty backpack.
    • Laphicet in Berseria has a stuffed Sorey on his head. It's cute, and also, books.
    • Rokurou has an eyepatch on his normal-looking eye
    • Velvet's got a pair of headphones around her neck
    • Eizen has square-rimmed glasses (which I thought just looked nice). Surprised me when I saw a skit showing he actually has those kind of glasses for reading.
    • Eleanor has a halo.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Wonder when we're gonna get news on Arise.

Wouldn't be surprised if Corona doesn't push it all the way to 2021.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have fond memories of my friends spending an hour just messing with Xillia's costume designs, it was ridiculous.

I lost that data when my PS3 died, but I plan on making it even better when I replay it.

Close approximation:
    iJYxPFciaJ8bQ.gif

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity; who in the series has been the most enjoyable mage character to play as, do you think?

I personally have had tons of fun playing as Xillia's Rowen, and Berseria's Laphicet, for different reasons. Rowen deals with the casting time problem by having that one neat skill that lets you charge, cancel, then keep casting from the same point. He also has that skill that lets him spam weak spells in succession. Laphicet can do actual combos with high-strength magic, and it's so satisfying to blow everything up.

Also, what kind of fashion stuff do you like to do with the accessories in later games? In Berseria, I've had Magilou wear a top hat stacked on a cowboy hat for hours now.

Xillia 2 by far. Rowen and Secret NPC, especially when comboed just work so fun. Rowen has a lot of different types of spells with different casting speeds and areas of effect, that he really ends up having a tool for everything. Plus, late game their linked skill effect is hilariously broken.

Video has fake NPC skins from endgame dungeon placed over party members, so there shouldn't be any spoilers in the video. The target they are fighting is a boss enemy/challenge fight enemy, which is why everyone gets lots of xp at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byaXV6dzhmU

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that Arise is gonna be delayed and pushed on both systems now.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm guessing that Arise is gonna be delayed and pushed on both systems now.

it has to be at this point.

I'm just suprised they haven't made the announcement yet.

The weird part to me is how much attention Scarlet Nexus has been getting while Arise is radio silence.

Since Arise was announced first and originally scheduled for 2020. But Scarlet Nexus was always 2021 so you'd figure with a push back Arise would still e first up in the release schedule but maybe not any more.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i love vesperia so much
    but i suck so much at the combat
    i can't get past the wolf boss at the forest, and i know i need to make him hit the sleep flowers.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Trying to force that is only going to make the battle even harder. Just get the win. That particular battle is bullshit. You're only missing out on an achievement which you can always just get later anyway.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    i love vesperia so much
    but i suck so much at the combat
    i can't get past the wolf boss at the forest, and i know i need to make him hit the sleep flowers.

I had to grind for a while to get past that fucker. Thankfully you don't run into much in the way of difficulty spikes past him. At least not in my experience.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah the flower fight is annoying because of hit detection but outside of one other fight that is even more finicky with the hit detection most aren't that bad.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Yeah the flower fight is annoying because of hit detection but outside of one other fight that is even more finicky with the hit detection most aren't that bad.

Eh. There are actually a ton of those boss achievements that are super dumb, super finnicky, and super bullshitty. Maybe even more that are than aren't. The wolf boss is just extra stupid because it's overtuned as fuck.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The wolf fight is arguably the hardest normal boss fight in the game.

You might need to level grind a bit, or spam heal items at every opportunity.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i kinda needed a way to practice the combat system for a while.
    random mobs die too easy, but when the wolf fight starts i get kinda flustered with all his charge attacking and the bby wolfs too.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I believe you can forge super weak weapons in that game. They're good for practicing.

They all have a skill that makes you do like 1 damage or something.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    i kinda needed a way to practice the combat system for a while.
    random mobs die too easy, but when the wolf fight starts i get kinda flustered with all his charge attacking and the bby wolfs too.

That's part of what drove me off Berseria. Normal fights? Spam the fuck out of everything. Boss fights? Completely fucking different. That and all the other horrible gameplay decisions. If your area design and movement system is so janked up that you need like 7 different ways to speed it up, half of which operate inconsistently with no apparent rhyme or reason, you really need to go back to the drawing board. And also all the other shit. This is the fifth fucking tutorial about the same fucking button prompt, for fuck's sake.

Ni no Kuni 2 took it to an extreme though. Regular battles? Over in 2-3 seconds from just tapping the "use special attack button." Boss battles? Likely to squash you if you don't dodge/block attacks with the correct timing.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, Berseria still shares a lot of Battle System DNA with Zestiria which was jank as hell and terrible. It does get a lot better eventually but that feeling never really goes away.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Berseria still shares a lot of Battle System DNA with Zestiria which was jank as hell and terrible. It does get a lot better eventually but that feeling never really goes away.

Chasing the MMO aesthetic dragon is... a really unsurprising, but unfortunate direction. I miss the puzzle dungeons, towns that didn't take five fucking minutes to navigate, not being forced to constantly fiddle with my equipment, and areas that weren't just "wide open field" with a different biome theme. And that was with all the "follow a guide or you'll miss major stuff" bullshit.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    The main thing that separates Berseria mob fights from Berseria bosses (including named mobs or dangerous encounters) is how frequent I actually get breaks. It feels like in normal fights, getting into a particularly long combo will have me replacing my Break Souls with a new break almost immediately, especially if I'm playing as Laphi and hit a huge group. But against a boss, it feels like using a Break Soul is a major danger, because I almost never get them back unless I'm at like 1 or 2 souls. It's a seriously different speed of fight, and I can't combo as heavily as I otherwise could. Maybe that's why I've taken to playing as Laphi lately, instead of Velvet. That, and Laphi doesn't need to remake his entire combo string for a new area with new weaknesses as often as Velvet does.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I felt like as long as you focused on accuracy (or whatever stat controlled status infliction, not sure which it was) with velvet you could happily break soul all day vs most bosses. Of course, once your rhythm got broken once it was back to the 1-2 soul slog unless you had mystic artes to restore souls.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Yeah. I usually had no problem keeping souls up against bosses but if they KO'd someone it could be a pain.

That said one thing I noticed was pretty big for Berseria that the game barely went over was chaining mystic arts.

It has a lot of benefits and even your standby characters could join in so it was an effective way of switching people out.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chaining what now?

*googles*

WHOA

• Options
    Yeah. I usually had no problem keeping souls up against bosses but if they KO'd someone it could be a pain.

That said one thing I noticed was pretty big for Berseria that the game barely went over was chaining mystic arts.

It has a lot of benefits and even your standby characters could join in so it was an effective way of switching people out.

Yeeeeah. That was another thing. You can set up the AI to use them at basically random whenever the gauge is full, or you can hoard them like a miser and completely fucking nuke any boss into a fine paste as well as have a free get-out-of-literally-any-bad-situation card. Your design is whack, Berseria.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I have trouble wrapping my head around the nuances and advanced aspects of the battle systems in the later Tales games.

It tends not to matter too much, at least to get through the story.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    i started playing vesperia the other night and immediately hated it. I got cornered and stun locked to death by the first boss, then found out i was supposed to lose, then it happened again, and again i was supposed to lose, then i lost to the guy who thinks you're flynn in the castle and i was like "oh another one of these" before it gave me a game over screen. so i put the game down for the night.

the next day i picked it up and easily killed the boss after realizing i only had artes on neutral stick so i suddenly understood why my inputs were sometimes doing nothing and as soon as they added a second character combat got a lot easier.

but damn. that intro was mean.

anyway, now I'm in the rainy port town and can't put it down. how did this happen

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Because Repede is civilization and makes everything better. Hes the best boy

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Tales of Arise release date trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ul6DMPIfTA

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    So a fan group called Life Bottle Productions has released a full english localization patch for Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut!

Bear in mind that this patch is still considered a "beta/first draft" and the team are releasing daily updates to polish and improve the script, but nonetheless the entire game is playable in english from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a98yF_Dq98A

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    There is apparently work being done on rebirth as well, but the group doing it is a little less open. You need to get on a discord and ask for it or something.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So, the Tales Of Arise demo is out. Has anyone else tried it? Graphically it's utterly gorgeous on the XBSX, and I love the comic-book style skits. :)

https://majornelson.com/2021/08/17/tales-of-arise-demo-version-is-now-available-for-xbox-one-and-xbox-series-xs/

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    This is the worst kind of demo, the kind I can't play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    This is the worst kind of demo, the kind I can't play.
    Ah, so there's no steam or PC demo...? Dang, I didn't know that. My commiserations, but the 9th of September isn't too far away now. :) :bro: