As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa 2020: Twenty Twenty Edition!

CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
Critical Failure's Secret Santa 2020!
Santa's back baybeeeeeeeeeee
Or was he ever gone? (He was definitely MIA for a bit... anyway, onto the important stuff...)

>Who Is This For?
CF is a haven for all sorts of tabletop gamers and hobbyists, including role-players, miniature gamers, board gamers, and more. If you see yourself as part of the CF community, this Secret Santa event is for you.

>Awesome! What are the rules?
Signups will be accepted until 2359GMT ON FRIDAY THE 13th OF NOVEMBER, at which point no further names will be accepted. Names will then be picked at random and assigned to individuals, with PMs sent out on shortly thereafter with the name of your Santee (the person you will be gifting). Remember the point of this event is that you are a Secret Santa, so please don't go spouting off to all and sundry. Based on the preferences that your recipient will post when they register to be a part of the event, you will then be prompted buy/convert/paint/whatever you deem suitable for a gift.

You will then be able to collect or work on whatever is being sent. The deadline for your recipient to get their gift is going to be JANUARY THE 31st 2021 - that hopefully leaves you with plenty of time to put together whatever it is and get it sent out. THIS DOES NOT MEAN TO START THINKING ABOUT MAYBE BUYING A GIFT A WEEK BEFORE THE FINISH, YOU SILLY GEESE. If anyone fails to provide a gift within a reasonable time (or at all), they will be summarily barred from the next event - or possibly worse. Past events have gone (in general) without a hitch and I'd like it to stay that way. With the potential issues with the US Postal Service (and pandemic and holidays and and and...) please try to get everything together and shipped as soon as possible!

>What would constitute a suitable gift?
This is where we unfortunately get subjective. I'd like to think we all have the good common sense to pick good gifts in this regard. For guidelines, I'd suggest something like $15 (or $20-ish with shipping) as a minimum. SET A BUDGET AND SET ASIDE YOUR GIFTING MONEY BEFORE SIGNING UP.
The minimum price on the gift is there to prevent someone from sending like a single arm, half a body or the random pages that fell out of someone's D20 OGL book. If you wish to do so and have the means, then feel free to go wild as far above this minimum limit as you want. We have had some fantastic gifts in previous years and remember that giving is just as important as receiving (however don't feel that you need to break the bank)! You will basically be held to the honor system (and the threat of being pointed at and beaten with internet-sticks) to ensure that the person who you are gifting does not feel cheated.

Gift recommendation are a combination of what you're capable of, and what your Santee wants. A PnP gamer who's never touched bare pewter is probably not the right person to give a complete Cryx strike force too. On the other hand, they might greatly appreciate receiving a nicely painted rendition of their PC from their long-running forum game, or the latest expansion sourcebook in their setting of choice.

Popular gifts in the past include miniatures, books, board games, or accessories, so long as they meet the $15 minimum requirement. However, there's no need to feel obligated to get someone a complete set of Kingdom Death: Monster with expansions, for example just because they express an interest in it (then again, no one can stop it if you do…). Be careful though - it's no use having an amazing plan if your Santee never actually gets the gift. Don't go wild and end up never getting anything sent.

Again, SET ASIDE YOUR GIFTING MONEY BEFORE SIGNING UP. Everyone understands that times are tough right now, so please make sure you are able to commit so we don't leave one of our friends hanging.

>I live in [insert country no-one has ever heard of]. Can I participate?
ABSOLUTELY! Ideally, we would get a few people from all over to participate. If possible, I will organize everyone into categories based on location while drawing the names to try and keep international mailing to a minimum. This cannot be guaranteed though so keep in mind postage and check weights, etc. before buying gifts.

>How do I sign up?
Entries are not considered official until I (@CF SANTA) receive a PM from you containing the following:

1. Your name
2. Your address (Please include a country so I don't have to guess)
2a. Your email address
3. What games you collect / play, or what you would like to see in a gift
4: Suggestions - 'I play Exalted' doesn't help your Santa much in narrowing down what would be a good gift. Saying something like, 'I play Exalted and have been looking at getting Dreams of the First Age, Graceful Wicked Masques, or Scroll of Heroes' gives your Santa an idea of what you wants, and helps Santa if he's not familiar with your chosen system.

If you do not send this PM, you will not be entered in the event! - DO NOT SEND ME A PM JUST SAYING "I'M IN"

Even if you participated in the last event, your personal information has not been kept. Also, when your Santa gets your information they receive it in the form of THE SAME MESSAGE YOU SEND ME. I literally forward your contact information and preferences to the person giving you your gift, so the reason to make you all jump through the hoops of filling the information out is so that I have something to supply to your Santa. I also want to make sure I have up-to-date information.

When you sign up, please put some money aside for the gift right then. Again, if you do not have funds do not sign up. The overwhelming majority of previous excuses that we get are from people not having enough money to actually purchase a gift for their Santee, this hasn't been an issue for a few years so let's keep it this way. I realize most of you won't know at the time of sign-up who you're getting or what you're going to be gifting, but it's not unreasonable to put twenty-ish dollars aside for the event right at the off.

>How do you assign Santas?
Utilizing super-secret scientific method and a crack team of Elves we assemble the Santa Master List™ at a classified military installation fourteen fathoms down in the general vicinity of the Marianas Trench.

It's all done in one completely random shot. I don't tamper with it in any way, though I do take some requests into consideration in setting the names in the box up (For example if there are enough Santa's we may do regional draws. If you have a real problem with postage let me know and I may be able to tweak this a bit).

>What do I do when I send/receive my gift?
A few suggestions for sending the gift:

* Include your name (forum name) so people have some idea of who is sending them this wondrous bounty! It really shouldn't be all that hard to just write your handle on a piece of paper and throw it in.
* Please use Delivery Confirmation/Tracking so you can track your package and make sure it gets there, especially in these uncertain times.
* Check in with your recipient via PM a few days after sending to confirm receipt if you don't hear anything.

Also, some guidelines for receiving the gift:
* Let your Santa know it arrived! One less thing they have to worry about.
* VERY VERY IMPORTANT: Post in the thread that the package arrived, and show off what you got!
* Take some damn pictures! Your Santa probably worked very hard on the gift, and we're all dying to see what's being exchanged.

One last final point: While lurkers are welcome to participate, I reserve the right to use absolute discretion in ruling people out of participation. If you have absolutely zero posts or a bare minimum number and you register on the boards to try and take part in this, I probably won't let you participate. Past events have shown that these users have been the most likely to vanish off the board never to be seen again, or otherwise skip on their end of participation.

And if you DO try to mess around with the system, we're going to have words...

Anyway if you've gotten this far and you're ready to sign up, thanks so much!

santasig.jpg

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, it’s go time!! Sending PM after I put the monsters to bed.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am building a house and should be done in Feb/March so I'm excited to add more space for my collections.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • see317see317 Registered User regular
      CF SANTA wrote: »
      HO HO HO!

Another successful year! Thank you all for being wonderful people and spreading cheer to fellow forumers!

Final chains for those interested:
      !OH OH OH

Sending up the @ symbol for last years final chains. MNC Dover's already posted here so I'm pretty sure they know already.
      My signup has been sent in. Looking forward to getting somebody taffy.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
      Hmmm, I gotta think about this!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      Signed back up. This has been good fun the last couple years!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      The best Secret Santa on the forums!

Steam ID: Webguy20
      Origin ID: Discgolfer27
      Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
      Yay! Definitely going to participate again this year. Just have to put some time into my signup PM and finesse my wish list a bit.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Debating if I should do this year. I've kinda gone silent on the forums for a while and dont want to be that guy who doesn't have anything to go off of when you stalk them to figure out what to send.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
      see317 wrote: »
      CF SANTA wrote: »
      HO HO HO!

Another successful year! Thank you all for being wonderful people and spreading cheer to fellow forumers!

Final chains for those interested:
      !OH OH OH

Sending up the @ symbol for last years final chains. MNC Dover's already posted here so I'm pretty sure they know already.
      My signup has been sent in. Looking forward to getting somebody taffy.

Thank you for this! Gonna make my list and check it twice!!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Debating if I should do this year. I've kinda gone silent on the forums for a while and dont want to be that guy who doesn't have anything to go off of when you stalk them to figure out what to send.

@ArcSyn you could have a list of hobbies you are into or games you like. You could even maybe put in your message that you are up for surprises! I'm not usually on forums except phalla and I have found that just putting myself out there and sharing who I am a bit helps in picking out a good gift! I've not been disappointed yet!

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
      The good thing about not being able to go out and do anything is that I have plenty of time to stalkresearch my targetassignee.

GNU Terry Pratchett
      PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
      Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
      egc6gp2emz1v.png
    • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      Wooo finally got my message off. Excited for another round of gift giving this year!

This is maybe an odd request, maybe less so, but if people wanted to specifically call out local stores that they like / support that would be kinda rad. I know "just use Amazon" is one of the default ways that this thing works, but in the interests of supporting small businesses in a rough period I'd prefer now more than ever to buck this trend where possible.

This is maybe an odd request, maybe less so, but if people wanted to specifically call out local stores that they like / support that would be kinda rad. I know "just use Amazon" is one of the default ways that this thing works, but in the interests of supporting small businesses in a rough period I'd prefer now more than ever to buck this trend where possible.

So like in my message call out my local game stores, so you could potentially order from them directly and I could pick them up? Theoretically? One reason I use amazon is free shipping, which lets me give more gift, but if someone wanted to order through my local game store for a pickup, I would be totally down for that too. Luckily my store has a website too.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
      Just sent my request in. Anything to give someone a light to look forward to after this year, you know?

steam_sig.png
      I can has cheezburger, yes?
      Message sent! Now to wait so I can bring glad tidings of joy to someone else this year! I am so pumped!

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
      Signing up so @MamaWolf will stop bugging me :P

Alright, signed up. Need some good cheer and this thread never fails to bring it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      That may not be my finest submission - a bit ramble-y overall ... but I did indeed submit, so you can complain after you get me. ;P

• CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
      This is closing out tonight! Sign up if you haven't yet!

santasig.jpg
      PMs will be going out today

santasig.jpg
      HOHOHO

ALL PMs ARE OUT!

Let me know if anything looks amiss.

Happy gifting!

OHOHOH

santasig.jpg
      edited November 2020
      Per ArcticLancer's idea of not paying Bezos, the FLGS that I frequent (or did, in the before times), is Enchanted Grounds in Highlands Ranch.
      Their online store is a bit rough, but if you want to use it...
      https://enchantedgrounds.com/eg-highlands-ranch/

Also, the stalking begins...

see317 on
    • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      edited November 2020
      Per ArcticLancer's idea of not paying Bezos, the FLGS that I frequent (or did, in the before times), is Enchanted Grounds in Highlands Ranch.

I mean, I found a Canadian popcorn company for one of y'all since Amazon was being a bummer about shipping food. I can improvise.

If you're trying it for me, several of the stores nearby got rocked by covid, but I believe 3rd Universe is still operating. You might have to talk the staff through ordering something though.

https://www.3rduniverse.com/

Looks like Hex & Company and Compleat Strategist are still alive in the city, too, for plans B / C. CS definitely has a huge stock and ships.

Auralynx on
      kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited November 2020
      Auralynx wrote: »

I mean, I found a Canadian popcorn company for one of y'all since Amazon was being a bummer about shipping food. I can improvise.

If you're trying it for me, several of the stores nearby got rocked by covid, but I believe 3rd Universe is still operating. You might have to talk the staff through ordering something though.

Looks like Hex & Company and Compleat Strategist are still alive in the city, too, for plans B / C. CS definitely has a huge stock and ships.
      Ironically, that was me. ;P

ArcticLancer on
      Auralynx wrote: »

Ironically, that was me. ;P

I thought so but didn't remember which year or how deep in my PM box the proof was. :D

kshu0oba7xnr.png

My local game store is Recess if we're doing that.

Also in my message I (half) jokingly suggested masks because I'm a teacher with in-person classes, but we just went remote today so I'm set!

TimFiji wrote: »
        My local game store is Recess if we're doing that.

Also in my message I (half) jokingly suggested masks because I'm a teacher with in-person classes, but we just went remote today so I'm set!

Congrats! I'd have definitely bought you masks if I was your Santa though. :biggrin: Folks need to be safe out there. I'm glad more schools are going online-only. A bit too scary out there to be putting all these people back in schools.

In case anyone needs it, here's my FLGS. Although as I said in my list, I'm a tough person to shop for. I wish you luck!

Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
        I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and list my FLGS

(Though, if I am being honest, this is my local-est store, but they are tiny and sadly lack a lot of stock.)

GNU Terry Pratchett
        PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
        Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
        egc6gp2emz1v.png
        Here's mine!

Fun Again Games. They even have a webstore.

The promised wishlist update is done.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
        edited November 2020
        And now comes the hardest part, which is not immediately blowing my gift load right at the start and being patient until I can do something a little more personal than just yeeting a bunch of Amazon packages across the country. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just like the chance to do something crafty.

Also for my santa, I have no particular love (or any feelings really) for my FLGS and I don't think they have an online store anyway, so shop wherever you feel is best.

Also also, if anyone is doing some shopping on Amazon, they have a board game sale going today. Use Amazon Smile and select Child's Play as your charity!

Denada on
        edited November 2020
        Amazon not allowing list lookups is frustrating. So I guess here's my old list. I haven't really been keeping up with it on more recent releases because I've got so many games I still need to hit the table more often, and yet this pandemic isn't helping.
        https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3JOIM9GSFBFLH?ref_=wl_share

I don't have a local store, so Amazon Smile is the best I can hope for.

Hints:
        I enjoy escape room games, and usually math trade around this time for a new batch of them at PAXU, but that's not happening. I try to keep them all listed in my BGG collection, but I'll check on that or message if you are curious. I've done most of the older Unlock/Exit games.

I enjoy large player count games as I have a family of 7, so games that max at 4 or lower are not played as often as they deserve, because someone will get left out. Coop games are GREAT though, and allow for us all to feel included. We'll stretch a coop game to fit 7 by playing in teams or just all taking part is strategy.

I've played through Pandemic Legacy S1 + S2, and Charterstone (nearly done), and enjoy those types of legacy style games and story-focused games.

I also enjoy fun and simple card games like Anomia, The Game, Sushi Go, etc.

Expansions are always a good idea, because if I already own the game, then an expansion would be a good reason to get it back to the table.

I don't do miniatures/painting/wargaming. I just don't have the time or space. I've got plenty of RPG materials, though just haven't been able to nail down a consistent time to run an adventure with the kids.

If you need more info or anything, I suppose message me through proxy or if you want or need to contact my wife, feel free to ask for her e-mail.

ArcSyn on
        4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
        Looks like I get to kick festivities off this year as I got an unexpected package through the door this afternoon, what was inside, you ask? Why, this thing, of course!

mlnpk86zxex0.jpg

A gaming gizmo! Not something that was on my radar, but it looks like a fun blast from the past, I'm don't think I ever actually had a copy of mario bros 2 as a child so that's neat. There was also a note:

'Initial stalking shows you in various video game threads so this is round one! Expect more later!
        From Papa Non-Denominational Holiday'

So thank you very much, I'm sure I'll get good use out of this, though I can't believe you would call me out as a gamer like this, I'll never live it down!

Looks like I get to kick festivities off this year as I got an unexpected package through the door this afternoon, what was inside, you ask? Why, this thing, of course!

mlnpk86zxex0.jpg

A gaming gizmo! Not something that was on my radar, but it looks like a fun blast from the past, I'm don't think I ever actually had a copy of mario bros 2 as a child so that's neat. There was also a note:

'Initial stalking shows you in various video game threads so this is round one! Expect more later!
        From Papa Non-Denominational Holiday'

So thank you very much, I'm sure I'll get good use out of this, though I can't believe you would call me out as a gamer like this, I'll never live it down!

Nice gift! I got one myself and it's a fun little gizmo. Be warned though, the Super Mario Bros 2 on it is actually the Japanese version (called The Lost Levels in the USA) and it is really tough.

Can you find all the fun little Easter eggs hidden through out the device? :)

Steam ID
        Twitch Page
        edited November 2020
        I think I forgot to send something as a gift so my santee might know I'm the santa! Oh well, by December 4 I believe all my presents will be delivered!

edited December 2020
          xasOsmv.gif

I received some kind of mysterious package in my mail today:
          8n4wkowtf045.png

I opened the package and there was a card with goodies inside:
          sp4xjznmbuix.png

I then looked deeper in the package:
          l508tei41nck.png

All together:
          wuv1c5snq6z4.png
          66l0ncynq4no.png

This was so awesome! I've always wanted a d100 and awesome metal dice!! Thank you my secret Santa!!

Which reminds me to get my behind in gear....

MamaWolf on
          That D100 lives up to the companies name.