As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    turtleant wrote: »
    Yeah Archer is probably the class that got hit the hardest by skill pruning/level learned changes.

There's like a solid 12 levels between like 18 and 30 where the only new thing you get is the passive "do more damage" trait every class gets.

Monk is pretty godawful too, which I hope is resolved with their rework. You go from 30 to 50 with nothing significant to show for it besides step 2 of your 3-step aoe combo at level 45 after you learn step 1 and 3 at 26 and 30.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Yeah Archer is probably the class that got hit the hardest by skill pruning/level learned changes.

There's like a solid 12 levels between like 18 and 30 where the only new thing you get is the passive "do more damage" trait every class gets.

Monk is pretty godawful too, which I hope is resolved with their rework. You go from 30 to 50 with nothing significant to show for it besides step 2 of your 3-step aoe combo at level 45 after you learn step 1 and 3 at 26 and 30.

They REALLY need to bake in the improved forbidden chakra trait into meditate. You get meditate at 52 and just don't use it till 62.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur

... That seems like a pretty huge oversight on their part. Unless they intentionally want people to wait for the combo aspect?

Roegadyn
    It's a new move for this xpac so *shrug*

Every class need work in this regard. Shit like DRK not having it's AOE combo done till 72 or it's Blackest Night till 70 also sucks.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    monk combos aren't like normal combos, you can advance it with a single target attack

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Au'ra

Every class need work in this regard. Shit like DRK not having it's AOE combo done till 72 or it's Blackest Night till 70 also sucks.

Yep. It replaced One-ilm Punch, which was... interesting. It was a 1s single target stun on a weaponskill, which... is pretty bad, because resist builds up. Except this skill had the unique property of ignoring resists. It was basically an old school interrupt button type deal. Except you could only use it 1/3 times because of stances (unless you popped Perfect Balance). A shame it wasn't 2s, because then Perfect Balance could have let you stunlock shit with it basically.

Granted, the new move also refreshes Twin Snakes, which is HUGE. And since Rockbreaker because a circle instead of cone AoE, monks now have probably the second best AoE combo of the melee classes. (Ninja is king of melee AoE imo, though exact numbers might disagree). Samurai is the worst because they have a mix of cone and circle AoEs to line up. Dragoon at least has only cone and line AoEs to aim. They don't get to refresh their self-damage buff with it though I think, just their dragon gauge.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Roegadyn
    NIN certainly FEELS the most impressive as far as melee AOE goes.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

... That seems like a pretty huge oversight on their part. Unless they intentionally want people to wait for the combo aspect?

You think that's bad? DRK gets their AoE mana generator at lv 72. When do they get their AoE mana spender? Literally the first thing you do after unlocking the job.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Granted, Flood only really needs to be used every 30 seconds.

The tricky thing is playing at exactly 70. The Blackest Night is an amazing thing to use in big enemg groups, and it eats MP quick.

Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    Granted, Flood only really needs to be used every 30 seconds.

The tricky thing is playing at exactly 70. The Blackest Night is an amazing thing to use in big enemg groups, and it eats MP quick.

Well, it's basically free if you were going to Flood anyways. TBN is possibly the best tank cooldown button in the game though since it's a massive shield like that and functionally free. And can be thrown on anyone.

I do wish the game had a key to switch to the boss's current cast target, though, would make it MUCH easier to throw it out.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Except for BLM because there are just 3 to 4 different versions of the class depending on what roulette gives you

Lalafell
    Though the fundamentals remain the same. The biggest change is if you get to use Fire IV or not.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Enlong wrote: »
    Though the fundamentals remain the same. The biggest change is if you get to use Fire IV or not.

Well, there's also the question of whether or not you use Fire II, and so on for Blizzard, and you still need to have Blizzard II somewhere on the hotbar just in case you get matched into the really low-level content. (Honestly, they should've just made it upgrade into Freeze.)

The fundamentals of fire/ice phases remain mostly the same, though, and if you're ever forced to drop Enochian you basically just go back to the level 50ish proc-based rotation for a bit.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I think in the entirety of pugging E1S-7S as a WAR I encountered exactly two tanks that wanted to set up Reprisal rotations. Both on E4S.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    admanb wrote: »
    I think in the entirety of pugging E1S-7S as a WAR I encountered exactly two tanks that wanted to set up Reprisal rotations. Both on E4S.
    ... One day I'm going to understand what this means.

Miqo'te

E1-8 are the current endgame raids (5-8, specifically, is the current tier). E is short for Eden, and the community numbers them because you have to do them in sequential order and there are always four per tier. Each raid has two difficulties, Normal (N) which anyone can do -- like LFR in WoW -- and Savage (S) which requires the coordination and dozens of attempts you expect from endgame raid content. E4S was the last raid of the first tier, which usually and in this case means it's the most demanding in terms of mitigation/healing/damage requirements.

Reprisal is a Tank role ability that reduces damage dealt by the targeted enemy by 10%, so it effects the boss' AoEs. Most tank mitigation abilities only effect the tank, so Reprisal is notable for helping the whole raid.

WAR is shorthand for Warrior.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

E1-8 are the current endgame raids (5-8, specifically, is the current tier). E is short for Eden, and the community numbers them because you have to do them in sequential order and there are always four per tier. Each raid has two difficulties, Normal (N) which anyone can do -- like LFR in WoW -- and Savage (S) which requires the coordination and dozens of attempts you expect from endgame raid content. E4S was the last raid of the first tier, which usually and in this case means it's the most demanding in terms of mitigation/healing/damage requirements.

Reprisal is a Tank role ability that reduces damage dealt by the targeted enemy by 10%, so it effects the boss' AoEs. Most tank mitigation abilities only effect the tank, so Reprisal is notable for helping the whole raid.

Basically, the idea is that if a boss has a regular AoE in their script, the tanks should rotate their group mitigation (beyond Reprisal, every tank now has a unique group mitigation skill.) The problem is that what usually happens in a PUG is the following:

Main Tank (to self): "AoE's incoming, put up mitigation."

Main Tank: (uses mitigation skill)

Off Tank (to self): "Shit, MT's popping mitigation, better pop it as well!"

Off Tank: (uses mitigation skill)

(Or vice versa.)

This is part of why I like to tank raids with my wife - we coordinate those pops to more effectively mitigate, because we can TALK to each other.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    Discovered this evening that when you upgrade from the Free Trial to a Full version they want you to download more stuff. And with how slow the download is the little bit of playing I was planning before I went to bed will have to be put off until later.

Miqo'te
    Weird. What's assets are in the full (non-SB/ShB) game that isn't in the trial? Palace of the Dead, I guess?

If you meant the full full game including Stormblood and Shadowbringers, yeah, that's like twelve entire zones and dozens of dungeons and trials.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

Basically, the idea is that if a boss has a regular AoE in their script, the tanks should rotate their group mitigation (beyond Reprisal, every tank now has a unique group mitigation skill.) The problem is that what usually happens in a PUG is the following:

Main Tank (to self): "AoE's incoming, put up mitigation."

Main Tank: (uses mitigation skill)

Off Tank (to self): "Shit, MT's popping mitigation, better pop it as well!"

Off Tank: (uses mitigation skill)

(Or vice versa.)

This is part of why I like to tank raids with my wife - we coordinate those pops to more effectively mitigate, because we can TALK to each other.

I make sure to pop Reprisal and Heart of Light (when applicable) whenever possible on my GNB. Anything I can do as a tank to make my healer's job easier and reduce overall damage is part and parcel of being a tank. The only raiding I do is just the 24 man stuff but Reprisal gets heavy usage in Puppets Bunker.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Miqo'te
    Seg wrote: »
    Discovered this evening that when you upgrade from the Free Trial to a Full version they want you to download more stuff. And with how slow the download is the little bit of playing I was planning before I went to bed will have to be put off until later.

Heh. Yeah my friend and I made the mistake of deciding half way through an evening of playing that we were in for the long haul. Thus ended that evening of playing.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Got Warrior to 80 last night, all I've got left are Paladin (61), White Mage (54), and Astrologian (50). EXP in Bozja is easily the fastest solo path available... which is unfortunate, because I'm really not impressed with that place otherwise. But I figure dragging those last three classes to 80 should accumulate more than enough coins to get the last five varieties of ilvl 495 armor, after finishing the Fending and Maiming sets, so I can put up with it for a couple more weeks.

Speaking of which, the Bozja Dragoon armor looks real good on my character.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Hyur
    So while I was tooling around on an old character, I made a new one on a server where some folks I know play. I'm gonna try to pay attention to the actual story and get into things because I have a hard time with that with Final Fantasy games sometimes.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hand-holding

liEt3nH.png
    edited November 2020
    Lalafell
    Aw shit. The preview site is up?

I really need to crack on with getting those Yokai weapons if I want that couch.

I still have a fair chunk of the ARR ones to do; thankfully I can cheese a lot of it with a nearly full BLU spellbook. I have all the HW ones, thanks to Bozja, so it's just the remaining ARR ones and the Stormblood ones. I wonder which location would be the easiest to hunt down FATEs in.

Enlong on
    Lalafell
    From the previews, I'm guessing that the story is going to involve Ga Bu at some stage.

"Matoya's Relict", huh? Not shying away from weird archaic words, I guess. "Derelict" is something that's been abandoned and is in disrepair. "Relict" is something that survives in an old form, which used to be much more widespread. Such as a coelacanth. It's also an archaic term for a widow. I'm guessing that since this dungeon has us finding Matoya's old workshop, it just refers to how she's one of the few remaining members of old Sharlayan scholars, after they fled; her workshop was probably one of a great many that existed like it.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Eden story ends with Ryne and Gaia romantically involved, but it's probably not the angle they're going with.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    It's probably for the best if they err on the side of "these two are Best Friends"

BahamutZERO.gif
    (pulls out a gun and looks at you all) They are teenagers

liEt3nH.png
    Au'ra
    It's probably for the best if they err on the side of "these two are Best Friends"

I think Ryne is just looking for a friend anyways here, considering her past. She wants some normalcy.

edited November 2020
    Lalafell
    I've no interest whatsoever in a relationship from that angle. Indeed, they'd better not. Characters can be in a relationship without it being for the benefit of a third party.

Nor am I even like, shipping characters together. It's a possibilitiy, but I've got no great opinion on which way the story goes with them; friends is fine.

Enlong on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I don't get it, what would be so wrong about having two teenagers be dating and holding hands in fiction?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I don't get it, what would be so wrong about having two teenagers be dating and holding hands in fiction?

Some people just can't appreciate cute and adorable things.

Miqo'te

If anything it's probably good to show that sixteen-year-old lesbians are allowed to date people their own age. You know, to show that being gay is a thing even in your youth and not just something that adults do.

i'm FUNNING

liEt3nH.png
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Neveron wrote: »

If anything it's probably good to show that sixteen-year-old lesbians are allowed to date people their own age. You know, to show that being gay is a thing even in your youth and not just something that adults do.

Yeah exactly. There's a lot of teenagers out there who play FFXIV and have a lot of value for the game, seeing that sort of relationship depicted in a game with a great deal of social attachment could mean a great deal for a lot of them.

This discussion has been closed.