As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adult lazy eye

CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
So, my ophthalmologist says I'm crazy, but I think I have a lazy eye.

What happened is that I got quicklime in my eye from an old ceiling, and got a very damaged retina. Subsequently I went and had laser surgery on both eyes, one to fix the scarring, both to fix a myopia. After an initial correction vision was good but over time my left eye has become more and more astygmatic.

After a lot of reasons to not do anything about it, I went back to the ophthalmologist and got (expensive) prescription glasses that should fix the astigmatism. I've been wearing them when working on my pc for a few weeks now, but when I close my right eye, my left eye is still doing f*-all in regards to focussing.
It seems like it just can't be bothered, although after keeping my right eye closed for longer, the left will grudgingly focus.

Is that anything like a lazy eye (never had one)?
Is there anyone who could confirm whether a: I'm bonkers, the entire eye-doctor community has disproven the existance of lazy eyes or b: I might want to dish out 80 euros for a second opinion and an extra 2 for an eyepatch.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    A lazy eye is a neurological condition, I don't think it can be triggered by damage. Having your eye be screwed up in other ways from trauma is certainly possible though.

A second opinion is the best call. I'd talk with your GP or equivalent to see who they recommend beyond who you are working with and go from there.

• ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    How old are you Cornucopist? Focusing is done with the ciliary muscles in the eye and as you get older those muscles stiffen and its more difficult to focus. I am almost 45 now and in the last year or so I have had to do the old man thing of holing things further away to see detail. In fact, I actually have more success reading close up without my glasses! So, maybe less lazy eye and more getting old?

• CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    How old are you Cornucopist? Focusing is done with the ciliary muscles in the eye and as you get older those muscles stiffen and its more difficult to focus. I am almost 45 now and in the last year or so I have had to do the old man thing of holing things further away to see detail. In fact, I actually have more success reading close up without my glasses! So, maybe less lazy eye and more getting old?

Well, one thing is that the damned ophthalmologist lasered me for general outdoors use, and I would have liked to be a bit more nearsighted since I work on screens every moment of my waking day and I don't drive a car.
    So when I went for glasses I did get a bit of correction for that on top of the astigmatism.
    But it's really as Enc said a neural condition. I tend to not see things that are in my left visual field, for example yesterday my glasses that I looked for two hours, but in the spot they were they happened to be against a busy background and on the left of where I pointed my head.

Given the waiting times to see a doctor with Covid (Belgium is very bad) my s.o. is going to make me an eyepatch and I'll see if that helps over time.

Cornucopiist on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Well, one thing is that the damned ophthalmologist lasered me for general outdoors use, and I would have liked to be a bit more nearsighted since I work on screens every moment of my waking day and I don't drive a car.
    So when I went for glasses I did get a bit of correction for that on top of the astigmatism.
    But it's really as Enc said a neural condition. I tend to not see things that are in my left visual field, for example yesterday my glasses that I looked for two hours, but in the spot they were they happened to be against a busy background and on the left of where I pointed my head.

Given the waiting times to see a doctor with Covid (Belgium is very bad) my s.o. is going to make me an eyepatch and I'll see if that helps over time.

Do NOT wear an eyepatch unless medically suggested by a professional. It can make your eye much, much worse. I say this from experience.

• CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Do NOT wear an eyepatch unless medically suggested by a professional. It can make your eye much, much worse. I say this from experience.

Thanks for the heads-up. Going to schedule an appointment.