As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Home Security System?

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
Any suggestions on some good home security systems (like Ring, etc.)?

Not living in the best neighborhood.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Do you want cameras, or a whole system with sensors and alarms?

Arlo is a good camera system, free recording and easy to setup.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The former, primarily. I'll give Arlo a look.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    What exactly is your situation?

Generally, a camera will only deter a small amount of people. You'll likely still end up getting robbed and you'll just have footage of it happening.

If you really want to protect your property, you should look into having security film installed on your windows, floodlights installed in areas that are easier for a burglar to access, ensuring your exterior doors have properly installed deadbolts, etc. Cameras can help as part of an overall security system, but on their own likely aren't going to stop someone determined to steal your stuff.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Well, we are only renting the place so I'd have to ask about all that. Can't wait to move.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The key thing with any home security system is not to get suckered into the deal where they give you the gear for free and sign you up for a service. These kinds of contracts are extremely hard to actually get out of, and you'll regret it in the end.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I had to tell ADT that we were doing "significant changes to the home" to keep them from renewing our contract. A rep called a couple weeks later and asked if we'd be interested in a system after we rebuilt our house. :lol:

We use Simplisafe and pay a slight premium. We got my mom a Ring system but I haven't installed yet. She used to have a Guardian system.

SS does everything we want it to. I have some gripes about their doorbell cam but otherwise no issues. They've even sent us free equipment changes in the past (new SIM assembly, "proper" rechargeable batteries that work with the wall wart) and are always very courteous and easy to work with.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    The key thing with any home security system is not to get suckered into the deal where they give you the gear for free and sign you up for a service. These kinds of contracts are extremely hard to actually get out of, and you'll regret it in the end.

This is correct.

Do yourself a favor and find a local security company and have them get you a quote. The security industry lives on recurring monthly revenue, so paying for the equipment and getting a cheaper monthly monitoring bill is almost always cheaper in the long run.

Source: I work for a security company.

• Options
    Will MWill M Registered User new member
    It really depends on what you want out of your security system and what your personal situation is. Even if your friend recommends someone like Ring or SimpliSafe, it doesn't mean that system will work for you. Your best best is to actually reach out to local security companies and get some input from them too. The one thing I can say is if you get them to install your system, try to go for a company that have their own installers and not one who subcontracts it out. Most of the problems I've had from my security system came from incorrect installation and setup.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Window film is probably going to be your best bet, it's cheap, sorta easyish to put on, and it really does stop people from breaking into the windows, and it's a non destructive installation, which means if you need to and have time you can uninstall it without damaging the windows, it just takes some time because it's a pretty aggressive adhesive. However the rental owner will actually benefit from it because it's a value add, so you likely won't have to remove it. 3M Makes a pretty good product.

For the doors. That's a bit tougher. You can get some pretty good items that will keep people from breaking in, while you are in the house. But they don't do dog shit if you aren't in the house because of the way they are designed. Anything else requires you to make modifications to the door frame and locks. Or add a security door.

Cameras a fine. Ring works fine enough.