As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When did you get your birthday presents?

#pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odoursPope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
Today is my birthday and my wife and I cannot console a childhood difference.

Growing up, birthday presents from my direct family who lived with me were given first thing in the morning, like Christmas. Gifts given over breakfast or some other way, especially before school.

My wife's family apparently gave gifts at the birthday party, even if the party was several days AFTER the birthday?? If there was no party then gifts were given after dinner the night of the birthday.

That seems crazy to me because you only get a tiny amount of the day to enjoy your gifts, or if you have a party in a few days you don't get to at all!

To be fair to my wife, she doesn't know if this is a standard Canada thing, or just her weird family being weird.

So, when did you get to unwrap your birthday presents?

When did you get your birthday presents? 108 votes

In the morning/before school
25%
#pipeMunkus BeaverAshcroftMojo_JojoJansonBendery It Like BeckhamProlegomenaStraightziFlarneChicoBlueBlake TVivixenneCurly_BracegodmodeAbdhyiusDonovan PuppyfuckerThe Cow KingMr FuzzbuttSolarButler For Life #1 27 votes
After dinner
21%
SporkAndrewMulletudeMulysaSemproniusASimPersonLindsay LohanGSMVeldrinSkeithexpendableEndGoose!ElaroPeenI ZimbraMrMonroe3cl1ps3KetarIronKnuckle's GhostCelloEnlong 23 votes
At your party
42%
WhippyThe GeekHenroidKevin CristHouk the NamebringerKadithtynicbowenSonelanJimBobtheMonkeyKyouguBahamutZEROsarukunDarkPrimusRanlinrhylithJayKaosXaquinTNTrooperLibrarian's ghost 46 votes
Some other time?
11%
MysstFishmanRaijin QuickfootMagic PinkWeaverkriegsOlivawCristovalMidniteGvzbgulhonovereMadican 12 votes

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    At your party
    The gift giving is part of the party.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The gift giving is part of the party.

I would absolutely get gifts at the party, I'm talking about specifically parent presents.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah uhh, at the birthday party I'd be riding around on my bike or playing with the basketball I got on my actual birthday.

At your party
    Parent presents at family celebration.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    In the morning, with the cake for breakfast.

Good memories.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    After dinner
    My parents would have the presents wrapped and sitting out on the dining room table by the time I woke up, but the actual unwrapping was after dinner. So the entire school day I'd sit there thinking about what could be in there. I have a particularly vivid memory of one year Mom wrapped everything in Ghostbusters wrapping paper.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    At your party
    Yeah uhh, at the birthday party I'd be riding around on my bike or playing with the basketball I got on my actual birthday.

Big presents like this? Day of.

Small presents or from others? Party.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

This is exactly what I'm talking about though, specifically main gifts from parents

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    After dinner
    If you mean a party involving other people outside my family, I only had one of those and I don't remember when stuff from my parents was presented since I was like, 6 or 7 or something.

But generally we went out to dinner somewhere and then had a family gathering with cake and presents.

We still had to go to school and all, so it's not like we could play with anything during the day.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Morning, but I'm a summer birthday so it's... less specific of a time in that way

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    At your party
    #pipe wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

This is exactly what I'm talking about though, specifically main gifts from parents

It was only the super big ones like a bike/computer/whatever. If there wasn't anything huge like that, or there was multiple... it was the party day instead. I guess I would say "depends" more than party, I'm conflicted now.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    After dinner
    Presents are always after birthday dinner in my family.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    At your party
    I'm counting 'party' as whatever the birthday celebration was, sometimes it would be fancy dinner or something if there wasn't a party that year, but not always on the exact date of the birthday (and me and my brother having the same birthday complicated matters somewhat)

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    At your party
    If there's no party you get to open them as soon as you get them, otherwise presents are part of the celebration.

zkHcp.jpg
    @Gvzbgul explain your vote

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Some other time?
    There was no consistency in present giving time. Morning, evening, party. Just, whenever.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    After dinner
    I didn’t get a lot of outright parties, but my presents from family were often opened as part of cake time after dinner.

At your party
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    There was no consistency in present giving time. Morning, evening, party. Just, whenever.

always looking over your shoulder, never knowing when you would be ambushed

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    At your party
    Your parents got you gifts? They'd throw me my party and say "The party is your present"

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Parent presents were generally in the morning, from what I recall, and that's what we do with our kids as well.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Now that I'm thinking about it I can recall getting parent presents at the actual party and having to wait, but I think that was for the bigger years like 5/10

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I generally didn't do parties and got gifts in the evening if it was a school day, otherwise the morning

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Some other time?
    I never had enough friends to have real parties. I'd maybe get one or two presents from my parents early in the day, then cake and main present(s) with dinner. June birthday, so never had to worry about school getting in the way.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shit, for my 12th birthday i got my first adult-sized bike, a cool fifteen speed mountain bike which was all-black except for neon green forks, grips, pedals and seat, and I rode that fucker to school that day.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    At your party
    Didn't read the post fully before voting.
    Family gifts were given at the end of family birthday dinner.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    After dinner
    After dinner is close but generally like, after school.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    At your party
    Presents are opened after food and before cake.

If there were something like a bike, then it might be given in the morning so it could be used that day.

ED: Although I'll say that, in most cases, the "party" is an immediate-family-only event. When having an out-of-home party, then the presents are brought home and opened after food and cake.

Elvenshae on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    My birthdays falls within school holidays, so it was whatever, really.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Some other time?
    i didn't get present we were poor and dad was a drunk

sometimes i got checks in cards from relatives but those could show up at any time so i guess "all the above"

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    When my parents were still getting me presents, they’d give me some of them the morning of my birthday and the rest at my party. If it was a year where I was getting a single large gift (like a game console) they’d give it to me at my party.

When I started high school they switched to just giving me cash with my birthday card.

Some other time?
    holy shit people actually got parties

i legit thought that was primarily a movie only thing

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    After dinner
    Pretty much after school/dinner. The party basically just meant I got to pick the menu and dessert and family would come over. And then presents.

And then I disappeared for the night because presents.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Some other time?
    Party? Parties were only done when I was way too young to have much of a say in things. Otherwise it was at best a friend or two invited to come to lunch with family and even that stopped way before highschool when my social interactions went from okay to nonexistent.

I received my birthday gifts depending on the day, there wasn't really a set tradition. I could get them in the mornings on weekends, after dinner (before cake), sometime during the day when everyone wasn't busy, or every now and then I'd get my gifts when my mother got hers for Mothers Day since our days occasionally align.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    You get your gifts from your famalam in the morning, as is honourable and noble, unlike the weak decadent ways of other people

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Birthday parties were a thing I always tried to do, but the summer birthday made them a sometimes thing or the sort of thing that didn't have a whole lot of guests due to camps and vacations and such

But I think I at least tried to do them all through high school (and also continue to do to this day)

At your party
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    holy shit people actually got parties

i legit thought that was primarily a movie only thing

:(
    :bro:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    At your party
    Growing up, "big" presents were reserved for Christmas. Birthday presents from my folks were received at my birthday party (if I had one) or after dinner on my birthday if no such party was planned. Anything over the monetary value of an NES/SNES game or a few action figures would be unusual for a birthday present. Video game systems, a bike, or a large playset (I was really into Transformers and TMNT as a little guy) would only show up on Christmas morning.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    At your party
    there was absolutely no way I would have been able to open presents in the morning and still get to school on time

i think as a wee one when birthday parties were still a thing organised by the family it was at parties. Later as a teen it was after dinner, because usually we didn't want no stinking adults at our parties, man

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    At your party
    At the party when I was young enough to have parties. In the morning after I had decided parties were no longer for me, when I was like 10.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Some other time?
    here is a hilarious story of "my mom getting me a present"

so the legend of Zelda (og nes version) just came out so I went to the local pamida because they had layaways and i slapped down 2$ for it and then got to work trying to earn the rest of the money

i couldn't get a job because i was lazy and they all sucked so i did what little i could here and there and sold stuff to friends over the next 4 or so months to nickel and dime more payments into the thing.

finally got the last 10$ from somewhere and I gave it to my mom to stop at pamida on the way home and pick up the game because to walk to pamida i had to go through a for reals swamp and the water was high at that time of year suddenly

she came back that night and said she had stopped but there was no record of my layaway and all the money was gone

i was mega flipped and ran to pamida the wrong, super long way with all my layaway receipts and karen'd up the joint about 30 years before karen even evolved but they said "no, sorry we have no record of your payments". i was heart broken.

a month later SURPRISE she gave it to me as my birthday present because she didn't want to have to buy one

tl;dr ma was a stone cold bitch