As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Ghost Riding

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Ghost Riding

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    "He just went to his real dad, the Internet." Oh holy shit *chefs kiss*

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    "By the time I found out what he was looking up, he'd already seen Nicholas Cage turn a giant quarry excavator into a flaming death machine, and I knew it was too late to convince him otherwise."

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Time to hide Spawn comics and the Spawn movie from him.

Spawn. The ultimate teen edgelord fantasy.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Ghost Rider: Not even once.

• AshiverAshiver Registered User regular
    Maybe after he is inevitably disappointed he could go even further in the way back machine, all the way to "The Crow"?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You gotta get that season of Agents of Shield that had Ghostrider in there as a palate cleanser.

steam_sig.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Watch The Wicker Man, then tell him Ghost Rider is the prequel.

He'll lost any interest in Ghost Rider and will keep the belief alive that comic movies are good.

• robecoyoterobecoyote Registered User regular
    I know this pain, but with my nephew (When he was 10). He was very much into the superhero movies, and then I got the question (as the geek uncle) "Do you know Ghost Rider?". I got through the questions and 'information dump I already knew' from him, and thought everything was safe as when he asked about the movie I said 'It's rated for 13 year olds, so you'll have to wait'.
    Then his dad (estranged from my sister, and utterly uninterested in superheroes) showed it him the next time he visited him. My nephew's interest in superhero movies dwindled to next to nothing overnight.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Sometimes, when you're sure they won't die, it's best to just let kids stupid ideas play out because pain and failure is a better teacher than a hundred caring and concerned adults.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Also gives kids more points of reference with their elders.

"How bad was it?"

"Nic Cage Ghost Rider bad."

"Ouch."

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Hevach wrote: »
    Sometimes, when you're sure they won't die, it's best to just let kids stupid ideas play out because pain and failure is a better teacher than a hundred caring and concerned adults.

In this case, they learned that greedy idiots will destroy everything you love.

It's a useful lesson.

• BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    I mean, Ghost Rider, the character from the comic book, is pretty rad. But these movies are painful for a person with an elaborate artistic experience to watch.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    k7949ppwwr73.jpg
    The movie was bad, but this character is super cool.

Also, the newest iteration is good, but he needs to ditch the car and get a bike. It's Ghost Rider, not Ghost Driver. They're the motorcycle-riding superhero. It's their whole thing.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The movie also woefully underutilized the song

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited November 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Also, the newest iteration is good, but he needs to ditch the car and get a bike. It's Ghost Rider, not Ghost Driver. They're the motorcycle-riding superhero. It's their whole thing.

I was not aware of this. And don't understand it. It's not like motorcycles are some fad or some really dated thing, like having a superhero whose trademark was riding around on their roller skates or BMX bike (no offense to people into those things; I'm just talking about it becoming this marketing thing a decades ago). It's a motorcycle.

Is it a overly cautious safety thing? Motorcycles aren't exactly the safest thing to ride. But then again, making pacts with Satan are probably something you'll want to have a talk with your child about first.

dennis on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    dennis wrote: »

I was no aware of this. And don't understand it. It's not like motorcycles are some fad or some really dated thing, like having a superhero whose trademark was riding around on their roller skates or BMX bike (no offense to people into those things; I'm just talking about it becoming this marketing thing a decades ago). It's a motorcycle.

Is it a overly cautious safety thing? Motorcycles aren't exactly the safest thing to ride. But then again, making pacts with Satan are probably something you'll want to have a talk with your child about first.

It's because he's a Hispanic teen in east-side LA, and they wanted to play to the urban youth culture of stereotype stereotype stereotype...

Robbie Reyes' narrative is good, but the car thing just feels like a ham-handed and unnecessary change. Like when DC took away Wonder Woman's powers and made her a bad-ass normal in the late 60's because they somehow got it in their heads that depowering a female character was actually empowering.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/xLvlGVNInw4

:question:

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited November 2020

I was no aware of this. And don't understand it. It's not like motorcycles are some fad or some really dated thing, like having a superhero whose trademark was riding around on their roller skates or BMX bike (no offense to people into those things; I'm just talking about it becoming this marketing thing a decades ago).

I will not stand idly by hearing this slander of Mumen Rider.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Personally I like the idea of Ghost Riders who drive different things. It's been alluded to in the comic before; An old-west Ghost Rider who rides a horse, one who drove a semi-truck, which is just terrifying, and there was also a prehistoric Ghost Rider who rode a skeletal wooly mammoth. If I recall, there was even one who piloted a ghost ship. The difference between "drive" and "ride" is a matter of semantics, really. There's also "steer", "pilot", "control", and so on. Point is, it's a guy or gal with a burning skull head who dispenses justice while navigating on or inside a vehicle or mount.

Bropocalypse on
    Ringo wrote: »

https://youtu.be/xLvlGVNInw4

:question:

Sure, why not

Have it playing over the credits like in the 90s when films seemed to do that

And since I'm here:

https://youtu.be/JMll6TNnTs4

Basically I want Slade to get his own movie where he deals out cowboy vengeance and Sam Elliot narrates the whole thing

• robecoyoterobecoyote Registered User regular
    "I was not aware of this. And don't understand it. It's not like motorcycles are some fad or some really dated thing, like having a superhero whose trademark was riding around on their roller skates or BMX bike (no offense to people into those things; I'm just talking about it becoming this marketing thing a decades ago). It's a motorcycle." (Quote function not working for me)

Do a search on Youtube for Mitchell & Webb Angel Summoner

That YouTube video is literally linked in the post you quoted.

steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I was not aware of this. And don't understand it. It's not like motorcycles are some fad or some really dated thing, like having a superhero whose trademark was riding around on their roller skates or BMX bike (no offense to people into those things; I'm just talking about it becoming this marketing thing a decades ago). It's a motorcycle.

Motorcycles are becoming a bit of a dated thing. The median age of riders has been trending upwards and Harley Davidson, the most iconic motorcycle brand in the US, is heavily associated with boomers. Motorcycles are no longer really the rebellious or edgy icon they once were.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772

Motorcycles are becoming a bit of a dated thing. The median age of riders has been trending upwards and Harley Davidson, the most iconic motorcycle brand in the US, is heavily associated with boomers. Motorcycles are no longer really the rebellious or edgy icon they once were.

I don't disagree with you, per se. But I'd wonder how much you think the median age has been going up? I ask because the median age for the entire US population has been trending upwards.

qu5ydu3zwtj5.png

https://knoema.com/atlas/United-States-of-America/topics/Demographics/Age/Median-age-of-population

I don't disagree with you, per se. But I'd wonder how much you think the median age has been going up? I ask because the median age for the entire US population has been trending upwards.

qu5ydu3zwtj5.png

https://knoema.com/atlas/United-States-of-America/topics/Demographics/Age/Median-age-of-population

That's a factor for sure but there's also been a lack of adoption of motor cycles in the younger generation. The whole auto industry has been dinged by that a bit buy motorcycles have been hit harder. The average Harley-Davidson buyer is a man in his 50s now. There are years of analysis into the industry's decline and shift such as this. That's not to say there isn't interest in them for the younger generation, but that's different from actually buying them (and also different from buying them new) and the style of bikes favored is different. Lighter and sportier bikes are more in favor compared to the heavy cruisers that make up the Harley lineup and Ghost Rider's leather clad design is very much built around the image of a Harley riding biker.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    Ghost Rider but on those shoes with wheels in the heels

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Segway

Ghost Rider but on another ghost

Steam Profile

Ghost Rider but on another ghost

I feel like at least one of the backstory horse-riding Ghost Riders must've had a ghost horse, surely.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Time to hide Spawn comics and the Spawn movie from him.

Spawn. The ultimate teen edgelord fantasy.

Man, I had Spawn action* figures (including one with a giant motorcycle) and never even read the comics or watched the movie, I just thought they looked cool. The design alone was irresistible to an edgy teen boy, because teen boys are idiots.

*these were Mcfarlane toys, so more like a statuette with an articulated head, not a lot of action involved

Edit: I just remembered I had an action* figure of The Crow as well, another movie I had not actually seen at the time. I was into Marilyn Manson though and probably just thought "Eh, close enough".

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    k7949ppwwr73.jpg
    The movie was bad, but this character is super cool.

If Knight Rider can ride a car, I'm not going to argue with the immortal Spirit of Vengeance.

The spirit possesses both the rider and their mount...

AVENGERS007_CVR-600x903.jpg
    Regardless of what that happens to be.

Hevach on
    Other suitable mounts:

Pogo stick
    Swan boat
    Ride-on lawnmower

Segway.