As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thanksgiving] Is Upon Us

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I am not having Tday with my family this year, for the first time.

Edit: Fuck COVID

Fencingsax on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    It feels weird to have certain foods relegated to certain times of the year.

If I want to eat pumpkin pie and gingerbread cookies in the middle of goddamn June, who's gonna stop me!?

Fuck around and find out...!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

If I want to eat pumpkin pie and gingerbread cookies in the middle of goddamn June, who's gonna stop me!?

I mean if you want to, live your best life. But those dishes are made with seasonal vegetables so if you eat them then the fruits and vegetables won’t be at their peak. And those dishes are made for different temperatures as well.

I mean I fricking love traditional Christmas pudding with Hardsauce. It’s my jam. I also live in Australia and eat it on a forty degree day. It is not the right temperature to eat it. Vivienne has never enjoyed it. Then last year she went to a Christmas in July thing and ate it in the middle of winter. She now Understands The Dish.

So yeah if you want to do it, they really won’t eat as good though.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is hardsauce like brandy cream?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, but it’s basically rum, icing sugar and butter.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah, but it’s basically rum, icing sugar and butter.
    I like what you have to say and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

sig.gif
    That’s basically the entire newsletter.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Further to Blake’s post re: Christmas pudding - it is very weird that a bunch of white people invaded Australia and then inserted their white people food into the opposite season.

It would make much more sense for us to have Halloween eggs and Easter pumpkins, but I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised that colonizers didn’t think that hard about that sort of thing.

And to be fair, it also messes with immigrants - lots of traditional Chinese New Year food is seasonal since it’s our spring festival, but in Australia all that stuff is out of season and this costs more + tastes worse.

But folks - and cuisines - do adapt.

Australia at least does Christmas lunch instead of dinner, and in Blake’s family it’s like a couple of traditional proteins like turkey (not even a whole one!) and ham and then everything else is basically salad using seasonal ingredients. Plus a Christmas pavlova for dessert - that shit is genius.

Like to me, a quintessential Christmas meal here is gravlax blinis for starter, a prawn, avocado and mango salad for main, followed up by a pavlova covered in seasonal fruit.

Man now I’m vaguely annoyed I’m going to be working on Christmas (I didn’t mind initially because the penalties are $$$$). Oh well.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a turkey day mst3k marathon?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Uriel wrote: »
    Is there going to be a turkey day mst3k marathon?

yes!

it's linked in the OP

Xaquin on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Further to Blake’s post re: Christmas pudding - it is very weird that a bunch of white people invaded Australia and then inserted their white people food into the opposite season.

It would make much more sense for us to have Halloween eggs and Easter pumpkins, but I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised that colonizers didn’t think that hard about that sort of thing.

And to be fair, it also messes with immigrants - lots of traditional Chinese New Year food is seasonal since it’s our spring festival, but in Australia all that stuff is out of season and this costs more + tastes worse.

Australia at least does Christmas lunch instead of dinner, and in Blake’s family it’s like a couple of traditional proteins like turkey (not even a whole one!) and ham and then everything else is basically salad using seasonal ingredients. Plus a Christmas pavlova for dessert - that shit is genius.

Like to me, a quintessential Christmas meal here is gravlax blinis for starter, a prawn, avocado and mango salad for main, followed up by a pavlova covered in seasonal fruit.

Man now I’m vaguely annoyed I’m going to be working on Christmas (I didn’t mind initially because the penalties are $$$$). Oh well.

Holy gods, I cannot imagine trying to do a christmas feast like that in Aussieland.

Also, the ovens are much smaller.

That’s basically the entire newsletter.

Best 26,000 dollars I ever spent.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Holy gods, I cannot imagine trying to do a christmas feast like that in Aussieland.

Also, the ovens are much smaller.

Yeah. The last thing I want on a 40°C day is a serve of mashed potatoes.

You can get bigger ovens for sure, but there isn’t much point unless you’re cooking for 2 or more families on a regular basis.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Catering our Thanksgiving this year because the wife is 35 weeks pregnant and COVID.

Every year since we moved into our house I've made a different menu of a celebrity chef. I've done Alton Brown, Martha Stewart, and Kenji Lopez Alt.

Usually takes me two or three days.

But since we are ordering out, this year's project is a dozen Maine oyesters which I'll learn to shuck the day of.

Got a fucking shucking knife and everything.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I have had one Christmas lunch in Australia. There was Christmas pudding, but basically everything else was fruit and charcuterie and some cold seafood. As a young teen I didn't super appreciate chilled shrimp, but everything else seemed pretty reasonable for midsummer.

They also had crackers with paper crowns and terrible jokes, and some game involving little plastic jumping frogs, and there were like some Monopoly tokens you had to watch out for in the pudding. All extremely festive.

I got a wallet made out of a kangaroo, which I only just replaced this year.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    You guys don’t have dumb crackers in America?

They aren't nearly as much an Xmas/ New Years staple.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    70 million or so, actually.

sig.gif
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    You can get them in Canada but I'm not sure if we get the same amount of variety as elsewhere

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One of the best Christmas meals I've had was in 2017 when I spent it in RSA with my work colleagues, and we made it an international mish-mash with everyone providing a staple of their home Christmas dinner. So we had oven roast turkey with all the trimmings, plus steaks from the braai, someone else did a loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with cheesy gloop, I think the Danish person made a vegetable casserole, my Aussie manager made a pavlova. And I provided pigs in blankets (the English version, which is chipolatas wrapped in bacon). It was awesome. And then we all got drunk on Aquavit, also courtesy of the Dane, and I ended up passing out on top of a wooden lookout platform looking at the stars which was a confusing place to wake up.

Le Menú

Turkey with Dry(?) Rub
    -salt, cumin, oregano, garlic, white wine

Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
    -that’s... that’s it.

Roasted Garlic Potatoes
    -also parsley. Not mashed because we have 3 dishes that are gloopy, as will become immediately apparent.

Stuffing (technically dressing)
    -no frills this year: onions, celery, baby corn

Creamed Corn
    -recipe stolen quite shamelessly from The Summit House

Bacon Mac and Cheese
    -because fuck you, that’s why. Colby jack and gruyere for that extra mildy mildness on account of it’s already got bacon in it

Skipping the pumpkin pie this year because basically nobody had any list year and I ain’t wanna make pumpkin pie for just me. Turkey gravy made day of.

that is a fine menu indeed

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If you are of an onion persuasion, I highly recommend sprinkling some finely diced red onion over your brussels sprouts before they go in the oven. They go great together.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Every time I make crispy Brussels sprouts lately, I make a smokey mayo based on this recipe.

Main differences are that I like to use light mayo and fresh garlic. And some cayenne doesn’t go amiss. And you could use lemon juice in stead of vinegar (it’s a very modular idea for a sauce). Always pairs great with crispy sprouts

Enlong on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I mean if you want to, live your best life. But those dishes are made with seasonal vegetables so if you eat them then the fruits and vegetables won’t be at their peak. And those dishes are made for different temperatures as well.

I mean I fricking love traditional Christmas pudding with Hardsauce. It’s my jam. I also live in Australia and eat it on a forty degree day. It is not the right temperature to eat it. Vivienne has never enjoyed it. Then last year she went to a Christmas in July thing and ate it in the middle of winter. She now Understands The Dish.

pumpkin pie isn't made with anything seasonal

you make it with canned pumpkin

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Sure. You try finding Pumpkin Pie Spice(tm) out of season.

edited November 2020
    Enlong wrote: »

Cinnamon ginger nutmeg cloves and allspice? :rotate:

Also I have some friends who always use a whole pumpkin in their pie. Seems like too much work to me but what do I know? The spices that go in pumpkin pie?

Tallahasseeriel on
    Jedoc wrote: »
    If you are of an onion persuasion, I highly recommend sprinkling some finely diced red onion over your brussels sprouts before they go in the oven. They go great together.

I was just gonna pan fry ‘em, but I love a red onion. I’ll have a look at the schedule and see if Ic an spare the oven for the sprouts at all, we’re on a tight schedule since her family eats by 12 and we do Thanksgiving on Sunday since it’s a regular ass week in Taiwan.

Uriel wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

Cinnamon ginger nutmeg cloves and allspice? :rotate:

Also I have some friends who always use a whole pumpkin in their pie. Seems like too much work to me but what do I know? The spices that go in pumpkin pie?

Fresh pumpkin is not really any extra work if you have an oven, once you roast the pumpkin you just throw it all in a blender.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Yeah I actually just learned how to do oven roasted pumpkin puree a couple weeks ago and with butternut squash today. It's actually super simple. I'm gonna make so much butternut squash soup.

Sleep on
    Round one of shopping is complete. We’ll pick up the Turkey and remaining items on Friday.

My main concern at the moment is finding a place to purchase gruyere for the Mac and cheese.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Sounds like some bougie-ass mac and cheese

I need to try and secure some of my aunt's macaroni salad, it's the only thing I can't do without

Maddoc on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    A bit of roast pumpkin with some salt and paprika. Cut it into cubes and toss it with some feta cheese yummo!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I am not having Tday with my family this year, for the first time.

Edit: Fuck COVID

Same here. I love cooking so Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but this year we can't be around each other :(.

And it doesn't make sense to make a turkey and sides for just me and my wife, so we're ordering in from a local restaurant.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    just give me a pile of stuffing with hawaiian rolls mixed in

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    also infinite deviled eggs

Xehalus wrote: »
    also infinite deviled eggs

YES

Maddoc wrote: »
    Sounds like some bougie-ass mac and cheese

I need to try and secure some of my aunt's macaroni salad, it's the only thing I can't do without

Gruyere is peasant cheese!

edited November 2020
    Anyone have a good simple recipe for dinner rolls? I think I could throw one together but I'm not sure if they'll come out tender enough the way I usually do dough.

I'm thinking at the moment

200g flour
    120ml water
    ~30g melted butter
    20g honey
    8g salt
    And a package of yeast

I also think I'll use ap flour for fear of making them too gluteny to be tender.

Tallahasseeriel on