As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Thanksgiving] Is Upon Us

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Anyone have a good simple recipe for dinner rolls? I think I could throw one together but I'm not sure if they'll come out tender enough the way I usually do dough.

I'm thinking at the moment

200g flour
    120ml water
    ~30g melted butter
    20g honey
    8g salt
    And a package of yeast

I also think I'll use ap flour for fear of making them too gluteny to be tender.

Rose Levy Baranbaum has a recipe for some world-beating rolls. The only ingredient she adds that isn't in your recipe is powdered milk, which is readily available at most grocery stores and all livestock feed shops.

I've made them, and they are lovely and puffy and delicious. Don't be scared by the sponge step, it's just putting off part of the mixing until later.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I could probably just use milk instead of water, maybe add more butter.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    also infinite deviled eggs

Infinite deviled eggs for infinite deviled egg farts

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Quarantine and doing it solo, so doing Food Crime Thursday instead. The ultimate cheat day. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Anyone who makes or eats deviled eggs has done the calculus and decided the farts are worth it

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    This is what I use, I've made it quite a few times and they come out great. Just make sure to use AP, they came out almost like biscuits when I substituted bread flour

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/soft-dinner-rolls/

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Gonna buy the reasonable Cuban bread facsimile I have located near my home.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Anyone who makes or eats deviled eggs has done the calculus and decided the farts are worth it

Never said otherwise. One way or another I clear the table

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Sounds like some bougie-ass mac and cheese

I need to try and secure some of my aunt's macaroni salad, it's the only thing I can't do without

Gruyere is peasant cheese!

No, it's pleasant cheese!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Looks like work is doing a potluck, since no one's traveling and we all have to be here anyway.

So yay, two chances to gorge myself.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Anyone have a good simple recipe for dinner rolls? I think I could throw one together but I'm not sure if they'll come out tender enough the way I usually do dough.

I'm thinking at the moment

200g flour
    120ml water
    ~30g melted butter
    20g honey
    8g salt
    And a package of yeast

I also think I'll use ap flour for fear of making them too gluteny to be tender.

I made these last year for Christmas dinner and they blew my parents' minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9le93pztbU

• Options
    edited November 2020

I need to try and secure some of my aunt's macaroni salad, it's the only thing I can't do without

No, it's pleasant cheese!

It is also that, too, yes!

sarukun on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

It's got a Frenchy name; it is obviously a high-class cheese.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i might pick up a frozen turkey breast roll with stuffing in it.

But it's finally getting warm down here, so probably some asparagus and mushrooms.

I might try to make a sweet potato pie?

i actually hadn't thought of doing anything thanksgiving this year.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    make a sweet potato pie!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I have lost 15 pounds the last 6 weeks

I like the Food Crime Thursday concept I’ll see if can knock off another 2.5 pounds in the next week, pack ‘em back on, then fart ‘em all back out

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Nobody's leaving this island nation for the hols unless the HK-Singapore travel bubble really proves successful, so everyone is in town, but we're still limited to gatherings of 5 guests (so me + 5)

My initial thought was "Wow, I can make only a reasonable amount of food!" (Last year I had 14 people over.)

Weirdly the menu hasn't shrunk as much as I'd initially thought it would:

Apps:
    * rosemary cashews
    * warm spiced olives

Big Meal:
    * Roast turkey
    * Turkey Breast roulade (also)
    * Double cranberry cherry relish
    * Mashed potatoes
    * Gravy
    * oyster, fennel and sausage stuffing
    * Sweet and sour brussels sprouts with chestnuts and grapes
    * Sweet potato wedges with lemongrass creme fraiche
    * homemade crescent rolls
    * Spinach salad with dried figs, goat cheese, red onion and basil-walnut vinaigrette

Desserts:
    * Chocolate bourbon pecan pie
    * Bourbon ice cream with toasted buttered pecans

And then guests are bringing over mac and cheese (not part of my traditions) and green bean casserole (which I find appalling) and a cheese platter so aight let's EAT

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    alright then sandra. i'm gonna need a few of those recipes.

mostly the cashews, the relish, those sprouts. although i can't eat chestnuts. but i want those sprouts.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I will have a couple of sides, Turkey with Stuffing, and a pumpkin pie.

First zoom with the fam.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm doing anything this year for Thanksgiving. Like obviously not going anywhere, not just a matter of the pandemic but because I've given my family the permanent middle finger. But I mean even here at my current home with my roomies. Just... nothing.

I'll probably (try to) host like some Jack Box Party Pack shit if people are down for it.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It's got a Frenchy name; it is obviously a high-class cheese.

It’s Swiss!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    ...I'm also bringing a butternut squash tart with cornmeal crust and a caramelized apple pie to another Thanksgiving on Saturday but hardly counts
    alright then sandra. i'm gonna need a few of those recipes.

mostly the cashews, the relish, those sprouts. although i can't eat chestnuts. but i want those sprouts.

Can do.

The cashews are from Barefoot in Paris, but a more-or-less the same recipe is also on Food Network under Ina Garten here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rosemary-roasted-cashews-recipe-1941586

The cookbook version only uses 1 lb of cashews and I'm using about 12 oz. It also calls for 1 tbsp kosher salt rather than 2 tsp.

The brussels sprouts are from the cookbook Flavour but the recipe is online here: https://www.tastecooking.com/recipes/sweet-and-sour-sprouts-with-chestnuts-and-grapes/ and it's identical, I've done a check.

The cranberry relish recipe is not available except in a cookbook that is out of print, so here it is with color commentary of my own:

1 (12 oz) pkg fresh or frozen whole berry cranberries
    2 c golden brown sugar, packed
    1/2 c dried cranberries
    1/2 c dried tart cherries
    1/2 c white wine vinegar (or red wine, whichever, it actually calls for cranberry vinegar but who the fuck has that)
    1 orange, cut into 8 wedges and thinly sliced (so you cut the wedges and then turn them into tiny thin triangle slices, you see)
    1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges and thinly sliced
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1 cinnamon stick

Place all ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for ~15 minutes (until the cranberries have mostly popped and it's very jammy). Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate. Will keep for up to two weeks in the fridge.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    we're doing a very small friendsgiving (only 6 of us and we all have been quarantining as best as possible since .... march? february?) but the food will be aplenty!

in lieu of a turkey, my friend is making a turkey roll (I don't recall the correct term) that is turkey rolled up with sausage (I made roasted garlic sage sausage for the occasion), some kind of prosciutto, and one other kind of meat

I'm pretty excited!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    So my Thanksgiving this year has been reduced to just the 3 or so people in my pandemic safety bubble that I do see regularly, but it means that everyone who would be against a kickass thanksgiving lasagna with everything made from scratch won't be here to tell us no

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »
    we're doing a very small friendsgiving (only 6 of us and we all have been quarantining as best as possible since .... march? february?) but the food will be aplenty!

in lieu of a turkey, my friend is making a turkey roll (I don't recall the correct term) that is turkey rolled up with sausage (I made roasted garlic sage sausage for the occasion), some kind of prosciutto, and one other kind of meat

I'm pretty excited!

Iirc its called a turketta since the pork version is called a Porchettas

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Here's Thanksgiving thing we should probably all do.

Figure out who's land you're on and maybe support them in some way if you're able to: https://native-land.ca/

I thought I knew, but learned new stuff, for instance the Los Angeles tribes are the Kizh not the Tongva.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MargaretThatcherMargaretThatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Pretty bleak outlook for Thanksgiving this year. Likely staying in my apartment and having pizza alone. Can't really afford to risk spreading covid :(

MargaretThatcher on
    I'm Jeremy Corbyn's #1 fan
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My workplace has banned potlucks for Thanksgiving. Guess I'm bringing a whole pumpkin pie for lunch and leaving out the pieces I don't eat.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So my Thanksgiving this year has been reduced to just the 3 or so people in my pandemic safety bubble that I do see regularly, but it means that everyone who would be against a kickass thanksgiving lasagna with everything made from scratch won't be here to tell us no

... Is turkey based lasagna a viable thing... ?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

... Is turkey based lasagna a viable thing... ?

I don't see why not.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My mom makes a chicken-based lasagna that’s really good, the chicken could easily be subbed out for turkey

Uses a dairy-based sauce rather than a tomato-based one.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    Pretty bleak outlook for Thanksgiving this year. Likely staying in my apartment and having pizza alone. Can't really afford to risk spreading covid :(

I'm sorry that your Thanksgiving will be a bleak experience. ,☹️

• Options
    I have found some recipes for 2.33 people:

•A turkey cutlet/broccoli/couscous entree
    •Sweet potato & apple soup
    •Apple and chicken sausage stuffing
    •Pumpkin pudding-pie single serve cups

My wife still wants to make a boring green bean casserole that neither me nor my child will eat, more for her I guess

I guess I just need to sneak some cranberries in there somewhere and I have the classics

• Options
    excellent

I'm making sausage dressing, and my gf is making this delicious lima bean, celery, and cabbage side, and we're making creamed collards and kale with sausage

• Options
    I've decided that I've been rad enough this year that I'm celebrating Yourewelcomesgiving instead.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I've decided that I've been rad enough this year that I'm celebrating Yourewelcomesgiving instead.

Theme song:
    https://youtu.be/79DijItQXMM

• Options
    Small monetary gifts to me are traditional but not required.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I have found some recipes for 2.33 people:

•A turkey cutlet/broccoli/couscous entree
    •Sweet potato & apple soup
    •Apple and chicken sausage stuffing
    •Pumpkin pudding-pie single serve cups

My wife still wants to make a boring green bean casserole that neither me nor my child will eat, more for her I guess

I guess I just need to sneak some cranberries in there somewhere and I have the classics

yes but how are you going to use up the remaining .66 people?

that seems like a lot of leftovers

• Options
    Breakfast hash