As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When did you get your birthday presents?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Some other time?
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    holy shit people actually got parties

i legit thought that was primarily a movie only thing

:(
    :bro:

no for real i don't think i've ever met anyone that had regular birthday parties. maybe it was just a generational thing or something

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    here is a hilarious story of "my mom getting me a present"

so the legend of Zelda (og nes version) just came out so I went to the local pamida because they had layaways and i slapped down 2$ for it and then got to work trying to earn the rest of the money

i couldn't get a job because i was lazy and they all sucked so i did what little i could here and there and sold stuff to friends over the next 4 or so months to nickel and dime more payments into the thing.

finally got the last 10$ from somewhere and I gave it to my mom to stop at pamida on the way home and pick up the game because to walk to pamida i had to go through a for reals swamp and the water was high at that time of year suddenly

she came back that night and said she had stopped but there was no record of my layaway and all the money was gone

i was mega flipped and ran to pamida the wrong, super long way with all my layaway receipts and karen'd up the joint about 30 years before karen even evolved but they said "no, sorry we have no record of your payments". i was heart broken.

a month later SURPRISE she gave it to me as my birthday present because she didn't want to have to buy one

tl;dr ma was a stone cold bitch

christ is that ever a scumbag move

Shorty on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    At your party
    My dad, brother, and myself all have birthdays in the same week, so we inevitably had a combined family birthday party with shared cake and gifts

Some other time?
    Usagi wrote: »
    My dad, brother, and myself all have birthdays in the same week, so we inevitably had a combined family birthday party with shared cake and gifts

i assume you had to fight to decide the cake flavor

like a for real brawl

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    At your party
    Usagi wrote: »

i assume you had to fight to decide the cake flavor

like a for real brawl

Lmao no, my mom either made what my dad liked or somebody in the family bought a sheetcake

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The standard for me was to celebrate my birthday on the Sunday before my birthday, so family could come over. So I got most of my gifts then.

And I got my parents gift after breakfast and being dressed.

It was always before because it created a little more space to Sinterklaas, which is a week after. Same with my brother and Christmas.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    At your party
    For me (hey, Canada here too) it's just, whenever people bring them over. If there's a party then it's just a somewhat arbitrarily-picked convenient time whenever everyone is there and not like, currently eating.

I'd usually get mine on the day of my birthday from my parents and whoever else I saw on that specific day, other presents at the party or whenever they got to me. There was never a single collective Official Present Time.

sig.gif
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Wait, y'all got birthday presents... like every year?

At your party
    Of course as an adult I'm pretty sure I'm only getting one present, from my girlfriend, tomorrow

it's, it's my birthday tomorrow

I assume sometime early in the day after the kids are in daycare

sig.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am still fuckin' steamed on behalf of magic pink

goddamn does that ever piss me off

Some other time?
    Shorty wrote: »
    I am still fuckin' steamed on behalf of magic pink

goddamn does that ever piss me off

i think she eventually realized what a pile a shit she had been because suddenly in my 30's I started getting a bunch of clearance star wars toys for christmas

i was like christ mom i... what are you.... i'm into sailor moon now

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    At your party
    holy shit people actually got parties

i legit thought that was primarily a movie only thing

:(
    :bro:

no for real i don't think i've ever met anyone that had regular birthday parties. maybe it was just a generational thing or something

Eh also a location thing. It's hard to have parties when you're living in suburb hell, there's no kids in your neighborhood, and all your friends from school are like 45min away.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    At your party
    Location absolutely played a part for me. I grew up less than 5 minutes away from my elementary school and my parent's home was literally across the street from a bowling alley. A lot of the kids that I was friends with growing up lived in the same area so we were at that bowling alley for a birthday almost every month.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Some other time?
    I was lucky because my birthday was in the summer, so there was no school to worry about. If there was a party, it was the day of, and gifts were given during the party

If there wasn't a party, which sometimes there wasn't because we were on a trip or whatever, then gifts were given early, just after breakfast or something like that

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I used to get gifts.

Now I just get condolences. :(

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    In the morning/before school
    What parties

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    After dinner
    My mothers birthday is December 24th.

She shares her birthday with her younger sister. Her 6 years younger sister.

Their mother shares an October birthday with her younger sister that's 4 years younger.

There's a hard and inviolable rule in my family that Christmas and Birthday are completely separate. Birthday presents are wrapped in birthday paper and there's no combining one present for both.

Shared birthdays get two cakes.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    At your party
    Most presents were opened at what i would call a “party” (really just cake-time with family, I didn’t have a lot of actual parties) but yeah if there was something big it was whenever my parents decided it would have maximum impact or they couldn’t hide the thing anymore.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    After dinner
    Real answer: the earliest of: {birthday party,dinner on the night of your actual birthday}

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My birthday being in July means I was never once in school for a birthday

Which rules

Anyway presents I guess throughout the day of, from the family? Special breakfast, maybe a couple of breakfast presents, then proper birthday presents at dinner I guess? I never really thought about it

Def didn't wait for the party, that's what friends presents are for

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    At your party
    expendable wrote: »
    My mothers birthday is December 24th.

She shares her birthday with her younger sister. Her 6 years younger sister.

Their mother shares an October birthday with her younger sister that's 4 years younger.

There's a hard and inviolable rule in my family that Christmas and Birthday are completely separate. Birthday presents are wrapped in birthday paper and there's no combining one present for both.

Shared birthdays get two cakes.

There some rule in your family about only fuckin' on certain days or what?

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Also Christmas presents are to be opened on Christmas Day except for one present of choice on Christmas Eve

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    After dinner
    I have a huge aversion to opening gifts in front of an audience, so it's always been at the end of the evening with as few people around as possible.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Also Christmas presents are to be opened on Christmas Day except for one present of choice on Christmas Eve

In my family we had a tradition of going to my paternal grandparents' house for Christmas Eve and we'd exchange gifts with our extended family after dinner. On Christmas morning we'd get presents from "Santa" and then us siblings would exchange gifts and give our parents theirs.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My parents usually just gave me their gifts in the morning.

When I was little my birthday parties were limited because my parents didn't have extra cash for a bash. I pretty much stopped having official parties at around 10 or so. After that I occasionally had a D&D night some time around of my birthday, which was honestly better for everyone because then no one has to buy presents. Most of my friends did not come from families with money for some other kid's birthday.

Also, that way I wasn't the focus of attention for a party, which is awful. I was the focus of attention because I was the Dungeon Master and your lives are in my hands, which is good.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    @Magic Pink are you doing secret Satan?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    At your party
    everyone in my generation of the family was born on the same day of the month
    except for the one who was born the day before, and is a huge weeb

i figure they were born on the day in japan...

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Some other time?
    My mother loved making birthdays special and making a fuss and everyone's birthday would start with the rest of the family getting up to wake you up by opening your bedroom door first thing in the morning with a rendition of "Happy Birthday" as they would come in and give you your present so you could have it right from the start and enjoy it through the entire day.

Until the year she asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I answered, dead serious, "I want to sleep in on my birthday without the lot of you waking me up for once".

... and thus a family tradition was ended.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I think I got my birthday present from my parents in the morning

but it's hard to remember because the family tradition is that everybody gets up at 6 am to go sing the birthday song to whoever's birthday it was, so my memories of my own birthdays are just very foggy

everyone else's I've at least had time to actually get out of bed and to shuffle into another room and thus my brain is nearly done booting up

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    See on the one hand waking me up on my birthday by force to sing at me sounds hellish

On the other hand, I am always the first person awake on Christmas Day and my brother had to extract a promise in his early adulthood that I would wait until 8 am before being like GET UP GET UP GET UP

I think it's all because one year when he was like five he went downstairs first at my grandparents' and all of the presents that he could see (there were a gazillion because there were ten people in the house) were for other people and this convinced him that Santa thought he'd been bad and hadn't brought him anything. Poor kid was in tears by himself by the tree when my mom found him.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    After dinner
    In childhood I think I went to two (maybe three?) non-family birthday parties ever.

Literally never had one that I could invite people to. Like, that wasn't even on the table. And I never asked for one because of some kind of unspoken rule that we didn't have people over to the house. They certainly never had anybody over. Maybe relatives once a year?

lol and they wonder why I have difficulty in social situations

We'll get back there someday.
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Mom always gave me the gift she bought me day of, rest of it was at the party.

• Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    About two weeks ago

mkc.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I don't remember, but as an adult, my parents usually call me in the morning to wish me happy birthday. So that's my choice.

sig.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I can't seem to remember? I know we'd often go shopping on my birthday to spend any birthday money I got (I bought myself a lot of Legos with that money), but I don't remember when I'd open any gifts. Maybe I only got money for my birthdays and gifts were for Christmas? Man, it's really blowing my mind I can't remember

JtgVX0H.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've just bumped into this very problem with my partner. I find it monstrous to delay birthday presents

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    After dinner
    My dad left for work at 4am for most of my childhood and I basically walked out of the bed onto the bus, so there's no way we could have done presents in the morning. Only had one or two big, not-the-day-of parties and I think the parental presents were there? But I'm not sure about that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Some other time?
    Tef wrote: »
    @Magic Pink are you doing secret Satan?

No I've always gotten horribly horribly screwed in those things so I've developed a phobia

Some other time?
    Mom always gave me the gift she bought me day of, rest of it was at the party.

gas station air freshener, brown bag wrapping

edited November 2020
    At your party
    Welp
    dhf38pzv231k.jpeg

That answers that

Edit: just realized this was huge on desktop, sorry about that

SimBen on
    sig.gif