As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    i'm FUNNING

no funning allowed here!!!!

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Full version of the 5.4 art.

Which also features someone else from FF14's past.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Full version of the 5.4 art.

Which also features someone else from FF14's past.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that asshole was somehow responsible for Gaia's mysterious mysteries.

Lalafell
    i'm FUNNING

My bad; it's hard to tell tone sometimes. And there are actually people who would be gross about this sort of thing, so I wanted to be sure I wasn't sounding like one of those people.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I would love to exist in a world where relationships between queer youth are treated just as casually as relationships between underage hetero couples, and positive role models are abundant in all media.

However, I would also like to live in a world where erotic fan art of underage characters doesn't get sandblasted across my eyeballs.

I thought I'd been cautious enough about what accounts and hashtags I followed, but because of this one out of context image of two characters holding hands, I've had to blacklist three twitter accounts today, and I've only been up for 45 minutes.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    See this is why I only follow like 50 people

X22wmuF.jpg
    Au'ra
    yeah I curate the shit out of both my twitter accounts' follow lists

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    I don't get it, what would be so wrong about having two teenagers be dating and holding hands in fiction?

If anything it's probably good to show that sixteen-year-old lesbians are allowed to date people their own age. You know, to show that being gay is a thing even in your youth and not just something that adults do.

Yeah exactly. There's a lot of teenagers out there who play FFXIV and have a lot of value for the game, seeing that sort of relationship depicted in a game with a great deal of social attachment could mean a great deal for a lot of them.

And a large corporate writing team largely helmed by fully grown dudes is not an entity I am going to trust with those stories until I am proven wrong by the content itself in 5.4

Those experiences should be written by people who have lived them whenever possible because otherwise the writing itself can and often does slip in to tokenism or outright fetishizing

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I don't get it, what would be so wrong about having two teenagers be dating and holding hands in fiction?

If anything it's probably good to show that sixteen-year-old lesbians are allowed to date people their own age. You know, to show that being gay is a thing even in your youth and not just something that adults do.

Yeah exactly. There's a lot of teenagers out there who play FFXIV and have a lot of value for the game, seeing that sort of relationship depicted in a game with a great deal of social attachment could mean a great deal for a lot of them.

And a large corporate writing team largely helmed by fully grown dudes is not an entity I am going to trust with those stories until I am proven wrong by the content itself in 5.4

Those experiences should be written by people who have lived them whenever possible because otherwise the writing itself can and often does slip in to tokenism or outright fetishizing

I also do not trust the Final Fantasy 14 team to write a good story. What a bunch of hack frauds.

Lalafell
    There's a bit of a difference between writing a compelling fantasy narrative about the struggle against ghosts from a lost paradise and writing a non-insulting narrative from the perspective of a real-world group that you're not a part of. There are different challenges involved. I wouldn't immediately dismiss that the writing team of this game could do so, but not having faith about them tackling this specific kind of writing challenge isn't saying that they can't write in general.

Lived experiences are important to have when writing a marginalized perspective!

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Certainly when you're writing about real life stuff, but not necessarily so in a fantasy world. In a fantasy world, maybe you can just be gay and it's not a big deal.

edited November 2020
    Fiction cannot, does not and should not spring up out of nowhere, else it becomes a weaker work as a whole

WeedLordVegeta on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    they're cousins, actually

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Given the complete absence of blatant romantic relationships in FFXIV I think you could just have them say something sappy at the end of Eden and then be seen around The First holding hands and that would be as romantically-charged as anything in the game.

Lalafell
    admanb wrote: »
    Given the complete absence of blatant romantic relationships in FFXIV I think you could just have them say something sappy at the end of Eden and then be seen around The First holding hands and that would be as romantically-charged as anything in the game.

I'd say that Y'shtola and Runar is pretty blatantly romantic. Granted, that's the only one I can think of, aside from probably a bunch of married couples in side quests. There's a lot more tragic deaths of partners than there are current romances in this game.
    reVerse wrote: »
    Certainly when you're writing about real life stuff, but not necessarily so in a fantasy world. In a fantasy world, maybe you can just be gay and it's not a big deal.

Yeah, but like, you're always saying something when you're writing a story, and it's important to recognize that. Especially if you expect that a marginalized group is gonna be reading it. A story where something that's marginalized in real life isn't will most likely say something about how you think things could be or should be in the real world. And how you portray that thing in the story will say a lot about how much you actually understand that group. You can still fall into some bad sterotypes even if you have the best intentions, if you don't fully know the thing you're writing about.

Writing is hard, and has many different challenges depending on what topics you tackle, is what I'm saying.

Miqo'te
    Y'shtola and Runar is arguably the strongest but there's still nothing there that demands you read it as more than Runar being in love and Y'shtola being "maybe if I can put up with you for another decade I'll consider taking this to the next level."

Lalafell
    Like, she's planning to find a way to cross the dimensional divide to see him again.

It's not exactly a promise to move mountains to see your love again, but moving mountains isn't that hard in this game.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    "but it's a fantasy setting" is just "but it's just fiction" in a new wrapper

"but it's a fantasy setting" is just "but it's just fiction" in a new wrapper

and yet I still can't be a moogle because yoshi p is a fucking coward

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    actual best romantic relationship, the Chais

X22wmuF.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    Like, she's planning to find a way to cross the dimensional divide to see him again.

It's not exactly a promise to move mountains to see your love again, but moving mountains isn't that hard in this game.

To be fair, she has some good starting points for that work.
    The Void is the remnants of the 13th and voidspawn can cross over fine. And Xande had a two-way gate created atop the Crystal Tower, even if you broke it.

But most importantly... she can pick the brains of someone with intimate knowledge of the process. Unclear how much he knows of what the Ironworks did but... I have no doubt Shtola and Cid can figure something out.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    turtleant wrote: »

The worst is probably, what, Edda and Avere? From what little we've seen of it, it seems super toxic.

They're not part of any quests or anything, but Ocher Boulder and Aenor are also kind of cute. Apparently she's 28, which is older than I thought.

Lalafell
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

To be fair, she has some good starting points for that work.
    The Void is the remnants of the 13th and voidspawn can cross over fine. And Xande had a two-way gate created atop the Crystal Tower, even if you broke it.

But most importantly... she can pick the brains of someone with intimate knowledge of the process. Unclear how much he knows of what the Ironworks did but... I have no doubt Shtola and Cid can figure something out.
    Particularly since we're starting from a position of knowing it's possible, knowing it was done before, and knowing where to start looking. A lot of the trial and error the Black Rose Universe Ironworks had to deal with has been smoothed out for us, particularly if we go back to the Twinning to collect their research.

That said, it's still a big undertaking, and the gesture she's making with her promise is pretty clear to me, in the context of that quest.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell

Yes

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    admanb wrote: »

this is what I'm hoping they aim for

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lalafell
    Oh wow, how could I forget the Chais? That's indefenestratable of me.

Miqo'te

The worst is probably, what, Edda and Avere? From what little we've seen of it, it seems super toxic.

I dunno I think that pretty much works out about as well as you could expect.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I have a very important question about this game.

Do they, at any point in any expansion, drop the "VERILY" English they run with in ARR? Because holy shit I am over it and it makes me tune out when there's plot happening.

edited November 2020
    Viera
    Henroid wrote: »

Do they, at any point in any expansion, drop the "VERILY" English they run with in ARR? Because holy shit I am over it and it makes me tune out when there's plot happening.

it gets less worse but they never completely stop slipping in ye olde eorzean englishe-isms
    except Urianger, excessive shakespeareanism is his primary character trait

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra

Some characters use it more heavily than others, but no, they still drop in archaic words and phrasing. Urianger is the worst offender by far.

But it is not like every conversation has it? Aside from Urianger, I mean. Hmm. I dont usually notice it much.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Viera
    I've gotten so used to it I barely notice it anymore except when Urianger talks lol

BahamutZERO.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    That Yshtola chick, whatever her name is, does it enough that I'm annoyed. Just as a frame of reference.

Viera
    as I said, I think they lay it on thicker early on before they found their groove, script-wise, but it does persist to some degree

BahamutZERO.gif
    That Yshtola chick, whatever her name is, does it enough that I'm annoyed. Just as a frame of reference.

the thing is, y'shtola rules

Viera
    it's Y'shtola Rhul actually

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lalafell
    it's Y'shtola Rhul actually

Dammit I was too slow.

edited November 2020
    Au'ra
    I don't think we need a look into the private lives of Ryne and Gaia, that's not at all what I was talking about. That's something that would obviously need experienced writers and also not be shoehorned into a raid storyline.

but them ending the Eden storyline with at least some exceptionally heavy implications that they're into each other would mean a lot to people, and I don't think it's bad to actually want to see some queer characters just existing.

Anzekay on
This discussion has been closed.