As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars] so you didn't send the fish Jedi immediately because...?

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Anakin and Padme make a lot of sense if you look at them as YA protagonist.

Also having worked in behavioral health for years at this point I have no problems buying their relationship because while Anakin is a great jedi (for smashing things) and Padme is a great at being a politician, they are absolute idiots at romantic relationships

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    new ster wer gud

ster wer gud again

yay

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'm hosting an old friend from college and his wife. We showed him Star Wars for the first time.

He seems to dig it. We're halfway through ESB right now.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I imagine same way with the cinematic.

You don’t like him because he’s Imperial. You like him because of a mix of his actions, expressed feelings, and art design.

Story wise there are probably more than a few locations that flourished under the Empire that get unfairly targeted by bitter supporters of the New Republic.
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Alternately Lucas could have come up with a less facepalmy way to kill Anakin's mom in a way that would provoke him to non-borderline-genocidal violence. Zero to "slaughtered an entire village" is not corruption, it's character assassination.

My rough idea: she's deathly ill, and on this backwater almost lawless world, the Lars family can't afford the medicine, which is controlled by criminal cartels. Anakin goes to talk to the local drug dealer pharmacist and ends up murdering him and taking what he needs, but by the time he gets back Shmi has died anyway. He murdered someone who was an asshole, but it was all for nothing.

I always liked the anakin vs the slavers arc in clone wars as like a better version of anakin's break bad. The slavers are legit evil, their type of evil specifically pushes anakin's buttons, and they probably won't be punished as harshly as they deserve. But also anakin wants to kill them because HE wants to kill them, he wants to hurt people that he hates. It works much better as an early decisive step in anakin's fall, without making him seem irredeemable yet. After all they were assholes who did kinda have it coming, maybe it was just a one-off mistake.

Of course in the show anakin doesn't actually kill them though he's tempted.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I bought my first Star Wars figure this last week. A Black Series edition of Snoke.

What can I say, I like him. I like how Snoke feels massively important in a way that is never revealed to us. I like how he rides this extremely rare Uncanny Valley in Star Wara where you can’t really make up your mind if he’s of an alien species or is a human being of some extreme circumstances.

Most of all I like his whole grumbly, creepy pinky-ring wearing, gold robe with slippers deal.. Does he eat? Does he do anything for fun? I have no idea. But I do like that he makes very little attempt to not be a guy who rolled out of bed and into his power chair mere moments before Kylo Ren showed up to be mocked.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The Black Series is great. I got a Han and Greedo and have them give each other piggy back rides.

i'm an adult and can do what i want dammit

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The Black Series is great. I got a Han and Greedo and have them give each other piggy back rides.

i'm an adult and can do what i want dammit

Does Han piggy first tho?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Sounds like the "how long was Luke training on Degobah" question is far more defined. It was at least "a few weeks."

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Was going to start The Mandalorian tonight. Got drunk, started watching Rebels again. There are no wrong answers.

oh h*ck
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Some of these episodes in the Clone Wars series can actually be really good at times. Whenever they start just being allowed to wreck stuff and murder clones/droids at whim are some of their best episodes. I also love the turbolaser reference where the droid admits he's never actually hit anything.

Even now, I am still impressed with the Turbolaser actually shooting the Y-Wing down in Rogue One.

Edit: I am in Episode 4 of Season 2, for those curious. I had heard lots of bad things about the early seasons, but it's actually been more than okay to watch. I expected it to be awful. One thing I think is a problem is just one I have a lot with American shows and animation as a whole in a lot of ways - too many episodes. You could do so much more with half the episodes in a lot of ways.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Clone Wars follows a steady upward trend in quality that sky rockets around the time Lucas sold the IP.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Some of these episodes in the Clone Wars series can actually be really good at times. Whenever they start just being allowed to wreck stuff and murder clones/droids at whim are some of their best episodes. I also love the turbolaser reference where the droid admits he's never actually hit anything.

Even now, I am still impressed with the Turbolaser actually shooting the Y-Wing down in Rogue One.

Edit: I am in Episode 4 of Season 2, for those curious. I had heard lots of bad things about the early seasons, but it's actually been more than okay to watch. I expected it to be awful. One thing I think is a problem is just one I have a lot with American shows and animation as a whole in a lot of ways - too many episodes. You could do so much more with half the episodes in a lot of ways.

Yeah, I've tried on and off to watch the show but it suffers (at least initially) from having too many episodes, most of which are boring filler. This is actually a pretty common problem when watching kid's shows. Even ones that end up going more interesting places over time. Just lots of generic filler episodes. I think Avatar might be the only one I've seen that manages to avoid that issue.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    yes but don't skip any episode with the most important person in the whole show
    1000?cb=20160504190331

Pailryder on
    edited November 2020
    Even if you don't want to watch the series, the last four episodes of season 7 are excellent and don't really require any specific knowledge of past seasons.

The last two episodes are easily among the best Star Wars media out there.

Quid on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Even if you don't want to watch the series, the last four episodes of season 7 are excellent and don't really require any specific knowledge of past seasons.

Plus the fight scene between [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] was choreographed out and mocapped with two real badass stuntfolk.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Plus the fight scene between [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] was choreographed out and mocapped with two real badass stuntfolk.

One of those stuntmen was
    Ray Park

Clone Wars follows a steady upward trend in quality that sky rockets around the time Lucas sold the IP.

He still worked on those episodes, with the exception of season 7, as much as he ever did though.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Lucas consulting with creating Star Wars content is by far the best way for Lucas to be involved in anything Star Wars.

Had he been willing to make the prequels as a collaborative efforts instead of convincing himself he was an auteur, the results would've been hugely different and massively improved. He can work well with others, when he remembers to work with others instead of treating them like they just work for him.

Lucas consulting with creating Star Wars content is by far the best way for Lucas to be involved in anything Star Wars.

Had he been willing to make the prequels as a collaborative efforts instead of convincing himself he was an auteur, the results would've been hugely different and massively improved. He can work well with others, when he remembers to work with others instead of treating them like they just work for him.

So this gets pushed around a lot, and he absolutely tried to do this. Lucas hated writing and directing and will be the first to agree that he isnt good at it. I think every single movie he tried to get someone else to do both, but the people he asked said no. And those works are still massive works of collaboration, but his writers support group basically fell apart. He had Doug Chaing and Ben Burtt for technical and design, but Rick McCallum seemed more of a deadline guy than a artistic producer and most of the stories of him are "is the script done yet" and "no the opening rots battle cant be an hour long"

• jothkijothki Registered User regular

As terrible as it is to actually watch, the PT was still a fairly solid piece of work, especially when compared to Disney's flailing with the ST.

Bloods End wrote: »

He still worked on those episodes, with the exception of season 7, as much as he ever did though.

I’d say there’s a very big difference between consulting on them and being the guy in charge who occasionally walks through declaring “Hey know what’d be cool? Bring back that one character but with spider legs.”

He sold the rights that same month and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that seasons five and six are much steadier in regards to quality episodes, never mind that they actually managed to salvage that ridiculous concept.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I really like Force Awakens and think it easily, and handily beats the PT in many important areas, largely on the strength of its characters

and then the next two movies are like pfffffftttt HAHA

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    is “pfft haha” good or bad

i don’t even know what’s going on anymore

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    TFA was, IMO, a promising beginning: a return to practical effects and sets rather than a weightless greenscreen CGI-fest, an introduction to some new characters with a lot of potential, and it didn't trip on its own dick. In this regard it surpassed the PT, though not the OT. (It also had some silly bits and signature JJ-isms that we took note of but really should have been more concerned about.)

It could have been the start of something good. But then Rian Johnson wanted to show off and tell his own, very different kind of story, and then Abrams (the last person you should get to end anything ever) came back for IX and.... *gestures at flaming garbage pile, then turns away*

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    For me, the PT started off terribly but got better with each movie while the ST started off better than the PT but got worse with each movie.

The force awakens was ok as a movie in a vsccum but really terrible in world building, and when taken with tros is absolutely horrid on finishing any of the set up it promised.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    The force awakens was ok as a movie in a vsccum but really terrible in world building, and when taken with tros is absolutely horrid on finishing any of the set up it promised.

In other words, "a JJ Abrams production".

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    TFA was a great apology of a movie, a statement that under Disney’s management they could actually make a movie that felt like Star Wars and didn’t suck.

TLJ was a fantastic (though not perfect) expansion on TFA, showing that the new movies could have something interesting to say and not merely act as retreads of the other good trilogy.

TRoS was then saying, “Actually, we take it back. Here’s a terrible movie that’s just a retread.”

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

As terrible as it is to actually watch, the PT was still a fairly solid piece of work, especially when compared to Disney's flailing with the ST.

The PT was dumb as hell, but the good part about it was that it was still great for like widening the universe and generally being a place where you'd like to hang out. Like it's not really that surprising that talented people were able to take that PT setting and really have some fun adventures in it.

The ST is so fucking lifeless and empty that it doesn't seem like a coincidence that there's been no other tie-in materials set in it. What other stories are there to tell?* Why would you want to spend any time there?

*The exception being like, the ending of The Last Jedi... Which RoS then promptly did everything it could to destroy.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'll never understand why they didn't have a plan. Even a basic outline—like Rey's origin—would've helped keep things consistent, allowed foreshadowing, led to real character development instead of random swerves.

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    We just happen to be in the dimension where they chose the worst plot lines for TRoS instead of binning them.

edited November 2020
    I think what tells me Disney has no confidence in the ST era is that they've lost a lot of their interest in it wider support wise. None of their current licensed RPGs, miniature games and similar really seem to care about that era anymore (X-Wing has been much more focused on adding clone wars stuff). The new things they are producing are all into this high republic era and the best stuff they are doing is either just before Empire or just after Return of the Jedi.

Personally, I think they'll probably memory hole the ST after a bit and focus either on just after the original trilogy or in the High Republic if it succeeds.

It's particularly telling to me that basically nobody from the ST seems to want to come back in any form to reprise their characters.

Aegeri on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I mean, their last two films were Solo (a financial flop which got mediocre critical reviews) and TROS (which was badly reviewed and did good at the box office but was a continued decline from the previous 2 films). And that seemed to scare the shit out of them and basically mothballed all the films they had expanded universe of films they had planned.

Like, when your last expanded universe film was an enormous flop you kill the expanded universe films you had planned. And when your last film of your big new centrepiece trilogy is literally the worst reviewed Star Wars film other then that Clone Wars cartoon movie everyone memory holes, you probably lack incentives to continue pushing that line as well.

shryke on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I think what tells me Disney has no confidence in the ST era is that they've lost a lot of their interest in it wider support wise. None of their current licensed RPGs, miniature games and similar really seem to care about that era anymore (X-Wing has been much more focused on adding clone wars stuff). The new things they are producing are all int his high republic era and the best stuff they are doing is either just before Empire or just after Return of the Jedi.

Personally, I think they'll probably memory hole the ST after a bit and focus either on just after the original trilogy or in the High Republic if it succeeds.

It's particularly telling to me that basically nobody from the ST seems to want to come back in any form to reprise their characters.

wait, which current series takes place in the high republic?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    I think nobody from the recent trilogy wanting to come back probably has to do more with all the shitty racism and harassment they faced (with disney doing nothing to help) rather than like, the quality of those films

(this isn't something limited to actors, either, it has also had a chilling effect on the pool of writers willing to work on star wars stuff)

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I think what tells me Disney has no confidence in the ST era is that they've lost a lot of their interest in it wider support wise. None of their current licensed RPGs, miniature games and similar really seem to care about that era anymore (X-Wing has been much more focused on adding clone wars stuff). The new things they are producing are all int his high republic era and the best stuff they are doing is either just before Empire or just after Return of the Jedi.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic

They announced a whole pile of connected High Republic novels, kids books and comic books earlier this year. It got delayed a bit, but should kick off in early 2021.

Mostly novels and comics. If they do well, definitely expect to see them take a punt on a movie or TV show in that era.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but Star Wars is a sand box, its appeal is that many people want to come play and build in it. Rise of Skywalker is a turd buried in the sand box. We know which corner it's in, so we're just going to play in the opposite corner until some grown up scoops it out.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    My favourite part of Star Wars is the spaceships. The prequels gave us a bunch of new designs, some of which are precursors to the OT ships (like the Venator), and a lot are their own thing. The sequels gave us Star Destroyers But Bigger, TIE Fighters with hyperdrive, X-Wings but with weird broken turbine things, repainted A-Wings... just a whole bunch of mildly altered shit we've already seen. And the few new things they added were the stupid bombers at the start of TLJ and the stupid triangle-wing TIEs, just garbage.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    i'm not gonna pretend the sequel trilogy didn't have a bunch of nothing designs, but the McQuarrie concept art style x-wings are actually good as hell

Daypigeon on
This discussion has been closed.