As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    The music of this game is starting to grow on me. A couple years ago I thought the implementation of random-encounter music in overworld fights was awkward, and now I'm really starting to appreciate the hell out of it.

I'm changing my approach to trying to stream this game. Gonna wait to get to Heavensword content. Get through all the goddamn tutorial and feature unlocking shit.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    I still don't like much of the ARR music other than the opening cinematic theme honestly, I only started to really dig it in some of the MSQ bosses added in patches. It really started clicking for me right before Heavensward and on up.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I just listened to this hour and a half compilation of battle themes from the game, and it's ending on a track that I think is called "Shadowbringers." This sounds incredibly good, goddamn. Tickle my early 90s rock needs please.

• Options
    Viera
    that's the main theme from the most recent expansion, I believe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hyur
    that's the main theme from the most recent expansion, I believe
    Oh is it not used in a battle context? That's what the video implied, what with it... being present in said video. Wasted opportunity if not.

• Options
    Viera
    it is the main theme and it is also used in a battle

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Some of my favorite ffxiv music is from ARR. To The Sun, the Thanalan field theme, is still incredible.

https://youtu.be/D4UOPAOB0kg

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Henroid wrote: »
    I have a very important question about this game.

Do they, at any point in any expansion, drop the "VERILY" English they run with in ARR? Because holy shit I am over it and it makes me tune out when there's plot happening.

The general dialogue does get less oppressive as you get into the expansions, though Heavensward gets kinda weird because Elezen are very fond of their pseudo-French-sounding names that don't pronounce anything like how they read and you're going to see a lot of it.

The music of this game is starting to grow on me. A couple years ago I thought the implementation of random-encounter music in overworld fights was awkward, and now I'm really starting to appreciate the hell out of it.

I'm changing my approach to trying to stream this game. Gonna wait to get to Heavensword content. Get through all the goddamn tutorial and feature unlocking shit.

The ARR music I generally don't think is anything special, by and large - the music for the game steadily goes up in quality with each expansion, until Shadowbringers hits what I'd argue is some of the best music in the franchise.

I just listened to this hour and a half compilation of battle themes from the game, and it's ending on a track that I think is called "Shadowbringers." This sounds incredibly good, goddamn. Tickle my early 90s rock needs please.

Yeah be careful of those, there's a couple I know offhand that have gameplay videos playing with the themes and one I know of straight up spoils the first and last fucking bosses of Shadowbringers, if you care about that sort of thing.

• Options
    Hyur
    Oh I don't watch the video component to music oriented videos. Like not even as a precaution of trying to avoid spoilers, I just tab away because I have other shit to do while listening. Hell most videos on YouTube I "watch" I do the same thing with and only tab over (and rewind a bit) if a visual element is necessary. I'm a weirdo. <_<

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    So some speculation on the Bozja relics (spoilers for post-Castrum scenes and 5.x MSQ)
    Two things I can see happening as part of the upgrades for your relics.

1) Reversing the tempering of the blades, and then using those replicas/aether to enhance yours. Assuming this gets shown in 5.4 or 5.5 MSQ.
    2) Gunnhildr's echo or whatever directly enhances them somehow after you fix the whole mess, or Save the Queen is used directly or something.

I'm kind of wondering if Gunnhildr is going to end up tempering/possessing our traitor here, since I don't believe she was stated to have the Echo? She's manipulating Gunnhildr but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Lalafell
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So some speculation on the Bozja relics (spoilers for post-Castrum scenes and 5.x MSQ)

1) Reversing the tempering of the blades, and then using those replicas/aether to enhance yours. Assuming this gets shown in 5.4 or 5.5 MSQ.
    2) Gunnhildr's echo or whatever directly enhances them somehow after you fix the whole mess, or Save the Queen is used directly or something.

I'm kind of wondering if Gunnhildr is going to end up tempering/possessing our traitor here, since I don't believe she was stated to have the Echo? She's manipulating Gunnhildr but...
    I think a cure for Tempering is on the table for the main story, considering what Alisaie accomplished with Angelo, and her drive to do something for Ga Bu. If we soon find a cure in the main story, it will likely become our goal in the Relic quests, perhaps after we've had a boss fight with the Blades. I think it's significant that they said a cure hasn't been found yet, rather than sticking with the absolute certainty of no cure.

Our traitor almost certainly has the Echo. Or rather, she's a Resonant, having been imbued with an artificial Echo like Fordola's or Zenos's. In the cutscenes leading up to Castrum Lacus Litore, she revealed to Mikoto the same type of Echo-copying machine that was used on Krile for Fordola. Presumably, she then used the machine to scan Mikoto, sacrifice a bunch of people, and copy Mikoto's form of the Echo onto herself. That's how she was able to ride along with us when we had an Echo flashback of Save The Queen. And that would explain how she's able to safely invoke a Primal, like we can. We haven't seen her with the red eyes yet, but I'm fairly certain that's what's going on here.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

I think a cure for Tempering is on the table for the main story, considering what Alisaie accomplished with Angelo, and her drive to do something for Ga Bu. If we soon find a cure in the main story, it will likely become our goal in the Relic quests, perhaps after we've had a boss fight with the Blades. I think it's significant that they said a cure hasn't been found yet, rather than sticking with the absolute certainty of no cure.

Our traitor almost certainly has the Echo. Or rather, she's a Resonant, having been imbued with an artificial Echo like Fordola's or Zenos's. In the cutscenes leading up to Castrum Lacus Litore, she revealed to Mikoto the same type of Echo-copying machine that was used on Krile for Fordola. Presumably, she then used the machine to scan Mikoto, sacrifice a bunch of people, and copy Mikoto's form of the Echo onto herself. That's how she was able to ride along with us when we had an Echo flashback of Save The Queen. And that would explain how she's able to safely invoke a Primal, like we can. We haven't seen her with the red eyes yet, but I'm fairly certain that's what's going on here.
    Ah, good point about the resonant stuff. I'd forgotten we'd seen that machine.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I just started Stormblood two days ago and I have a question I feel like I should know the answer to by now

What's the difference between an primal and an eikon

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I use a lot of fantasias
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I just started Stormblood two days ago and I have a question I feel like I should know the answer to by now

What's the difference between an primal and an eikon

Nothing.

Primal is what the nations of Eorzia (and the Scions) call them. Eikon is what the people of the Garlean Empire call them. Same phenomenon, different names.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    It was also the term used by ancient Allag.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Apparently it's also the term used by Valisthea in XVI.

• Options
    Hyur
    I didn't consider that coming up as a Warrior would mean I have to tank these required dungeons for the MSQ. Which I've done before, just a bit, but I think I only got one or two dungeons past Ifrit as far as furthest progress goes and now I'm staring down those dungeons again already. So far people have been chill about me needing some refreshers but learning shit from this point on is gonna be fun to negotiate eventually.

I'm not worried about my ability to hold threat whatsoever. What I'm worried about is annoying my team with how many enemies I'm supposed to pull at once. I've been in groups as a Bard recently where the tank was just silently doing a "BRB" and pulling a shitton of groups at once. And like we lived, easily. They've all been Dark Knights though SO I AM NOTICING A TREND.

• Options
    XeinosXeinos Registered User regular
    fwiw, if you are the tank, you set the pace. If folks complain, let them, not everyone is comfortable speeding through dungeons. As crass as it sounds, as a tank, everyone else needs you (same as a healer), because tank queue times are a thing of beauty.

All that said, I'm a hypocrite here because i get super anxious about the same thing

• Options
    Hyur
    On the bright side, tanking is my go-to love in MMOs. I fell away from it in WoW because, in its earlier years, I ended up having more fun as a Shaman, which was generally just like... being an enabler for other party members to be stronger. If FFXIV has a class like that then I might end up falling into those shoes instead.

The job mechanics might not be universally interesting. From what I see Warriors get a bar they work up as a spending resource. Bards just get like... a timer for their song buffs. Black Mages I like the mechanic for a lot, and Red Mages sounds interesting on paper.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I main tank in this game and you're fine just pulling one group of mobs at a time. Especially if you're still leveling and learning the different dungeons.

At max level it's pretty common to pull multiple groups at once, but that's usually once you have good max level gear and have already run the dungeon a bunch so you're familiar with the pulls and know which ones are dangerous and which are pretty safe. It's also not just a DRK thing. Every tank does it so I'm guessing you're just happening to get a bunch of higher level DRKs that are doing leveling roulettes in your groups.

I'm assuming that you have the sprout over your head indicating that you're a new player. Most people should see that, understand, and be cool if you aren't speed running every dungeon since it's assumed that you're still figuring stuff out. If you get an antsy party member who tries to run ahead and pull packs back to you just tell them that you're learning the dungeon and to knock it off. I have a rule where if I can tell that somebody else is intentionally pulling ahead of me, and not like a one off accident, then I let them tank that mob.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Hyur
    When does the sprout go away anyway?

• Options
    Au'ra
    168 hours played and completing the last quest of the previous expansion, so in this case Stormblood.

• Options
    Hyur
    H0b0man wrote: »
    168 hours played and completing the last quest of the previous expansion, so in this case Stormblood.
    That sounds like some pretty good criteria. Is it account-wide once one character has reached that point or is it per-character?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Au'ra
    I think it's account wide, but I'm not 100% sure. I've never really gotten into alts in this game since you can just do everything on a single character.

edit: looking it up it seems that it might be per character actually. Like I said I've never done alts in this game so don't know personally.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    Hyur
    Ah okay. I only have two characters because I'm on two different servers (and data centers for that matter) for two different groups of people.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I think it's account wide, but I'm not 100% sure. I've never really gotten into alts in this game since you can just do everything on a single character.

edit: looking it up it seems that it might be per character actually. Like I said I've never done alts in this game so don't know personally.

It's per-character, but you can choose to toggle off the sprout icon if you feel you're not a newbie anymore because you're playing an alt or whatever. Slash command /nastatus off.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Xeinos wrote: »
    because tank queue times are a thing of beauty.
    Not at all hours of the day.
    BOWuSCf.jpg
    Previously spent 80+ minutes in queue as healer right before this. Yeah, there'll be more people awake later, but there's a bit of a lull in population overnight.

Can confirm it's not account-wide. You can have mentor status on one character and sprout status on another character at the same time.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    On the bright side, tanking is my go-to love in MMOs. I fell away from it in WoW because, in its earlier years, I ended up having more fun as a Shaman, which was generally just like... being an enabler for other party members to be stronger. If FFXIV has a class like that then I might end up falling into those shoes instead.

The job mechanics might not be universally interesting. From what I see Warriors get a bar they work up as a spending resource. Bards just get like... a timer for their song buffs. Black Mages I like the mechanic for a lot, and Red Mages sounds interesting on paper.

Pure support classes aren't really a thing in FFXIV, sadly, largely because it's heavily leaning on the Healer/Tank/DPS "trinity" design.

There are some that have some slight support, though! Of the Healers, Astrologian throws around some small damage bonuses in addition to their shields and healing. For Ranged DPS, Bard throws around a bunch of different buffs and Dancer designates one other player as their Dance Partner and get to buff them a bunch and do some healing/damage AOEs through them.

Also, on a general level, it's probably worth pointing out that Summoners and high-level Red Mages can resurrect people (and the latter can do so really quickly with Dual Cast, hence "Rez Mage"). Black Mages are what's called a "selfish" DPS, though.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Summoner gaining levels because I healed an instance as a Scholar was a nice thing to realize.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    When you look at how much damage some classes can do*, you realize that every class in FFXIV is actually a DPS class, some of them just have to put aggro management in to their rotation, some of them have to heal, etc

*this has become especially apparent with white mages in bozja

• Options
    Au'ra
    When you look at how much damage some classes can do*, you realize that every class in FFXIV is actually a DPS class, some of them just have to put aggro management in to their rotation, some of them have to heal, etc

*this has become especially apparent with white mages in bozja

There are some outliers there, as AST and DNC in particular are balanced around how much DPS they can add by buffing stronger party members. Some of the solo story fights in Stormblood were just painfully slow on SCH - literally impossible for the enemy to outdamage my passive healing, but it took a while to win fights because my DPS is like, half of what a DPS class does.

I miss the old days of Bio/Miasma/Bane/Shadow Flare DPS when I'm solo. I understand it in group content, but it was really nice solo to just clump enemies up for a good toxic melting while I heal-tanked them.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Still think they should give shadow flare back.

Maybe as something else to spend the fairy gauge on.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Lalafell
    turtleant wrote: »
    Still think they should give shadow flare back.

Maybe as something else to spend the fairy gauge on.

Or like, make a new version of it if we are to use the fairy gauge on it. Fey Anger or something. Spend 10 gauge for a damage puddle, and give it a similar cooldown to Consolation.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    I'd really like Fey Caress back, removing debuffs one Esuna at a time when everyone gets hit by something is a nuisance.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Au'ra
    I'd really like Fey Caress back, removing debuffs one Esuna at a time when everyone gets hit by something is a nuisance.

It was niche, but it was a big advantage SCH had in some fights.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'd rather have more utility uses for fairie gauge than damage. Generally speaking if damage is an option then damage is always going to be the right answer. I'd like to get some fun stuff for scholar like being able to give people movement speed or some such. Or a buff that refreshes the duration of their shield, but not the health of the shield, so you can extend extra shields on folks for when they do take damage.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I didn't consider that coming up as a Warrior would mean I have to tank these required dungeons for the MSQ. Which I've done before, just a bit, but I think I only got one or two dungeons past Ifrit as far as furthest progress goes and now I'm staring down those dungeons again already. So far people have been chill about me needing some refreshers but learning shit from this point on is gonna be fun to negotiate eventually.

I'm not worried about my ability to hold threat whatsoever. What I'm worried about is annoying my team with how many enemies I'm supposed to pull at once. I've been in groups as a Bard recently where the tank was just silently doing a "BRB" and pulling a shitton of groups at once. And like we lived, easily. They've all been Dark Knights though SO I AM NOTICING A TREND.

You're not going to find a single answer for this question. It depends on a lot of factors, and is a debate that still goes on today. Generally, if you're not sync'd down or doing an endgame (50/60/70/80) dungeon, you shouldn't be wall-pulling, as you'll be too squishy. It's just how the stats work in this game. But as long as you're rotating your CDs (Rampart/Reprisal/Arm's Length/Vengeance), pulling two packs at a time should be fine.

Most jobs have some sort of way to assist other members, but the jobs that do that the most are Bard and Dancer.

At 80, Bards get a second bar that fills up as their song procs occur, which is spent on their lv 80 spell Apex Arrow.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Miqo'te
    There's also the Repertoire mechanic for Bard's songs. Every time either of your two DoTs (Venomous Bite/Caustic Bite and Windbite/Stormbite) do damage while you have a song playing, you have a chance to gain a Repertoire effect, which is different for each of your three songs.
    Mage's Ballad: Repertoire procs will instantly recharge Bloodletter and Rain of Death, 2 non-GCD abilities
    Army's Paeon: Each Repertoire proc adds a stack of a skill speed/cast speed/recast speed buff
    Wanderer's Minuet: Each Repertoire proc adds an Pitch Perfect stack, you can cast it when you have at least one stack, it's a single-target attack that spends your Repertoire stacks and does more damage the more stacks you have (up to 3)

So you have some more resource management for a couple of your songs as well

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    There's also the Repertoire mechanic for Bard's songs. Every time either of your two DoTs (Venomous Bite/Caustic Bite and Windbite/Stormbite) do damage while you have a song playing, you have a chance to gain a Repertoire effect, which is different for each of your three songs.
    Mage's Ballad: Repertoire procs will instantly recharge Bloodletter and Rain of Death, 2 non-GCD abilities
    Army's Paeon: Each Repertoire proc adds a stack of a skill speed/cast speed/recast speed buff
    Wanderer's Minuet: Each Repertoire proc adds an Apex Arrow stack, you can cast it when you have at least one stack, it's a single-target attack that spends your Repertoire stacks and does more damage the more stacks you have (up to 3)

So you have some more resource management for a couple of your songs as well

you don't actually have to even care about this until well into 3.x

you kinda just have a bar that maybe fills up through 2.x

• Options
    Viera
    minuet isn't apex arrow, there's a different button you use to launch its stacks for a nuke. Apex arrow is the 80 thing that gets more powerful the more song uptime you have in general, as a reward for keeping on top of your song uptime.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.