As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Games and Technology
PS5-tunein-nodate.jpg

143354-games-feature-sony-playstation-5-release-date-rumours-and-everything-you-need-to-know-about-ps5-image1-cvz3adase9.jpg

Out now: Playstation 5 and Digital only Playstation 5. Normal is $500, discless is $400.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Ahhh the PS5 is very good.

You should get one. Yes, you!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Ahhh the PS5 is very good.

You should get one. Yes, you!

Find me one for sale and I will.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    @GnomeTank - I tried to do the transfer 3 times. The first time seemed a success but gave me an error that it had failed the next time I rebooted. The next two times seemed to finish but my games simply didn't move over, so I just downloaded what I needed...which was admittedly very little.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    GnomeTank - I tried to do the transfer 3 times. The first time seemed a success but gave me an error that it had failed the next time I rebooted. The next two times seemed to finish but my games simply didn't move over, so I just downloaded what I needed...which was admittedly very little.

Yep, exact same pattern of behavior I had. Same end result. It moved my saved games, which was the important part, and I just re-downloaded the games I cared to try on the PS5.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Got mine yesterday, tried out Astro’s Playroom (pretty neat, people really aren’t overselling the haptics; hopefully something developers take advantage of), dipped into Miles (gorgeous), played a couple hours of Assassin’s Creed (runs surprisingly well, although the load times don’t seem dramatically improved, maybe something that will get a boost in future patches).

Pretty neat device! Even small things like having menus run in 4K add up to a cleaner experience. Only had one crash, when I was playing Miles as my PS4 data transferred in the background. Probably playing with fire, but it booted right back up again, no real trouble.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The sounds from the controller speaker match really well with the haptics in Astro's Playroom, to the extent that I was wondering if some of the haptic sensations were actually my ears lying to my hands

Also the creaking of the frog spring suit made me genuinely worried that the controller was breaking, so bravo for that bit of immersive gameplay

I've been playing Bugsnax for a large chunk of today, and I'm really getting into the game - I like how much non-cis-het stuff is in the game and is just... there, rather than it being a whole Thing

More of this please, developers

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    The controller haptics are used incredibly well in Demon's Souls as well. They really add a weight to things in the game that's hard to explain without just putting the controller in someone's hand and letting them experience it.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Demons Soul uses the controller speaker really well too.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Haptics off, rumble off = happy, tired old hands.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited November 2020
    If you have a physical reason to turn it off, sure...but most people should leave the haptics on. This isn't your grand pappy's rumble. It adds incredible texture and nuance to the games that support it. It's probably been the "killer feature" for me so far with the PS5. Load tomes are great but I've been on the SSD train for years on the PC, so those don't blow my mind as much. The haptics engine in the controller for the PS5 is incredible.

GnomeTank on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Anyone who wants to have some fun speedrun competitions in astrobot, add me! SniperGuyGaming. I'm feeling pretty good about this total time so far. I'm pretty sure I have some real good individual scores too. I do not like the stupid frog though.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The sounds from the controller speaker match really well with the haptics in Astro's Playroom, to the extent that I was wondering if some of the haptic sensations were actually my ears lying to my hands

Also the creaking of the frog spring suit made me genuinely worried that the controller was breaking, so bravo for that bit of immersive gameplay

I've been playing Bugsnax for a large chunk of today, and I'm really getting into the game - I like how much non-cis-het stuff is in the game and is just... there, rather than it being a whole Thing

More of this please, developers

Imagine having a crappy handgun where you feel a definite click when you pull the trigger. Then after you get used to it, you aim at a zombie, pull the trigger and there's a ping! noise as it just presses loosely with no resistance as the firing pin snaps. (This exact thing happened to me with my car's clutch when I was driving, and I have never been more terrified on the road)

And I can imagine a horror game pulling some advanced Eternal Darkness stuff. Forget 'your controller is unplugged', they could make it really feel like your controller is dying.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Looks like Best Buy will have new stock some time on the 22nd but not telling us when so be on the look out.

May the best bot man win.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    For those keeping track, yesterday Sony Direct did not have a queue. I checked from 6am CST to 7pm CST.

So far today they have also not had one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear the haptic feedback being well received so far. I look forward to trying it - but I’m skeptical of that stuff since Switch’s “HD rumble” was a whole lot of nothing.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Glad to hear the haptic feedback being well received so far. I look forward to trying it - but I’m skeptical of that stuff since Switch’s “HD rumble” was a whole lot of nothing.
    It's definitely what they hyped it as, the question is how much developers will put into using it. I'm hoping that the console exclusives at least will put the effort in.

If we still lived in The Old World, I'd advise Sony to put demo machines with Astro in as many stores as possible, as it really is something you have to use yourself to get what it can do.

Also, Astro's Playground is somehow the most Nintendo game I've played from a non-Nintendo developer. If Astro finally became Playstation's long-missing mascot character, I'd be fine with it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    We will see if the new Ratchet and Clank uses the haptics.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It's definitely what they hyped it as, the question is how much developers will put into using it. I'm hoping that the console exclusives at least will put the effort in.

If we still lived in The Old World, I'd advise Sony to put demo machines with Astro in as many stores as possible, as it really is something you have to use yourself to get what it can do.

Also, Astro's Playground is somehow the most Nintendo game I've played from a non-Nintendo developer. If Astro finally became Playstation's long-missing mascot character, I'd be fine with it.

When I played Astro Bot Rescue I wished Nintendo was doing VR like that with Mario. Instead they were farting around with stupid cardboard VR.

I don’t know about Astro’s personality being enough to make it the Sony mascot though. Like Sackboy, they have the cuteness going for them but they just aren’t hitting the same notes as Mario.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    That Star Wars Squadrons game uses VR. I have just ordered it. I hope there are a few more PSVR games.

I think the most annoying thing about this is that the last two days I've been on the ball with checking every hour and if they actually did a queue I feel very good about my chances. They just haven't done one.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Beat Astro's earlier today. Might try to platinum it, the easter eggs and references are Ace. Really had fun with it for a pack-in title.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I've noticed that Bugsnax uses the haptics - it's a different feel when you run on snow vs stone

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited November 2020
    Krathoon wrote: »
    We will see if the new Ratchet and Clank uses the haptics.

Man I hope it does.
    I also hope it's out early next year. I NEED it. One of my absolute fav series. I would freakin' love if they remastered the whole series like they did with 1. I never got to play the FINAL game on PS3, but I played and loved every single other one.

vamen on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I would honestly take remasters of everything if they work in haptic stuff decently lol.

The improved trick system in Mile is just incredible. And the animation interpolation...I don't know if I've ever seen anything as impressive.

I need to dig deep into Demon's Souls.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So after my data transfer completed I had a couple of errors and now my Other Data is at over 111gb. Is there any way to regain that space? I know it's supposed to be at around 60 or so gb for the OS, but this is almost double now.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Sunni Legend makes some really sick clips.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    So after my data transfer completed I had a couple of errors and now my Other Data is at over 111gb. Is there any way to regain that space? I know it's supposed to be at around 60 or so gb for the OS, but this is almost double now.

Reboot the console. Did you try and transfer games from your PS4? That feature doesn't seem to work right now and just fills up your "Other Data" with trash. Doing a hard reboot (not a reset and restore, but a full reboot cycle) should force the PS5 to do a database rebuild, give you the space back, and likely tell you there was some kind of error. Your save data should be safe.

Made it to the Tower Knight in Demon's Souls and man, that's a very cool game so far.

Looking forward to trying Miles Morales, but a little wary of the price tag. Kind of hoping to see a sale on that one in a few months but I might get impatient.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Sunni Legend makes some really sick clips.

Yep.

Absolute legend.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Reboot the console. Did you try and transfer games from your PS4? That feature doesn't seem to work right now and just fills up your "Other Data" with trash. Doing a hard reboot (not a reset and restore, but a full reboot cycle) should force the PS5 to do a database rebuild, give you the space back, and likely tell you there was some kind of error. Your save data should be safe.

I did a transfer from PS4 to PS5 over wifi, most of the games transferred over, but got like 3 failed transfers. I did a full shutoff of the system through the menu and I also held down the power button until it turned off and then turned it back on. Other Data is still loaded with junk.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Huh, Kohl's has a bundle up, PS5 disc version plus extra controller and Ultimate Edition Spider-Man for $640. I figure the worst-case scenario is I end up with an extra controller if I can't take things back.

The page has been up for like half an hour though and while I was able to go through the whole order and payment process, I haven't got a purchase confirmation yet. It'll be nice if I got one, but we'll see if it gets cancelled and Kohl's website was as shitty as the company usually is.

EDIT: Welp, fingers crossed, the site shows it as out of stock now and is flipping back and forth with the in-stock page. I'm guessing their site is fucked and the order didn't go.

EDIT EDIT: My account got charged the money, so I guess that's a good sign?

Ninja Snarl P on
    Awww yeah. I have so far platinumed Astro's Playroom and now Bugsnax. Bugsnax is pretty good, would recommend.

edited November 2020
    Speaking of the DualSense, Valve's input API supports it now for Steam games on PC:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-ps5-controller-now-has-full-steam-input-api-support/

It has to be a game that supports the Steam input API, but it basically supports the entire controller, including giving games access to the haptic goodies.

e: Not so much on the haptics yet.

GnomeTank on
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Speaking of the DualSense, Valve's input API supports it now for Steam games on PC:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-ps5-controller-now-has-full-steam-input-api-support/

It has to be a game that supports the Steam input API, but it basically supports the entire controller, including giving games access to the haptic goodies.

Good news, but I'll note that the article says that haptics don't work yet, only rumble.

cckerberos.png
    cckerberos wrote: »

Good news, but I'll note that the article says that haptics don't work yet, only rumble.

Woops, I misread then. My mistake. Hopefully they get the full haptics working.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I find it unclear what exactly is going on there really.

1) Steam Controllers do have actuators for haptic feedback, but way more limited than the DualSense. Their main purpose is to change controller responsiveness rather than provide game feedback. Like the smooth touch pad suddenly feels like an old school ball trackpad, or your analog stick feels like it has an 8-way gate. You could program games to send signals but its not supposed to be a rumble replacement or alternative, its more things like the fake button feel you would get from iPhone 7/8 or Macbooks from a few years ago.

2) Point being then that Steam API should already have some similar system for Steam Controller (haptic feedback as audio) that can be applied to DualSense. However the handful of existing games that support Steam Controller natively don't use haptics for feedback and everything else uses rumble, so games specifically supporting the DualSense would be the first hurdle.

3) DualSense doesn't have "rumble" motors so Steam is probably going to translate rumble commands into haptic ones for the majority of games, especially if it has to emulate an Xbox controller rather than using Steam API (which is the vast majority of games.) This is analogous to playing PS4 games on a PS5 using a DualSense. (though hopefully they do a better job?)

4) Question would be whether users can choose haptic customizations like on a steam controller. So for example you could make the DualSense touchpad grind like a ball-trackpad as the Steam controller does.

All of this is to say that it's really unclear to me what Steam means by supporting "haptic" or "rumble," or whether devs are ever going to bother supporting its full capabilities like they would on the PS5 itself, especially via an API specific to one PC distribution platform (even if it's by far the largest.)

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I've gotta say the use of adaptive triggers and haptics in general in Cold War is absolutely phenomenal. Heavier weapons require more pressure on the trigger to bring up ADS, firing weapons gives a recoil like effect, and when you do things like ride in helicopters you can literally feel the beat of the rotors as if you were sitting in the thing yourself. It's really incredible and worth checking out even if you have long since been burnt out on Call of Duty games, like I have.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.