As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Screw this random Shaman deck. You have to kill all their minions otherwise 3/4 rush guy suddenly becomes 12/12 Deathwing.

Fight fire with fire.
    9s9d3w3ekum4.png

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    seeing a lot of players lethalling themselves to deny people doing deal x damage quests

mean spirited and shitty

Are you sure that is what’s happening? People have been committing hearthstone sudoku for years.

Quoting so you can’t change “sudoku” :D

Why would he change the correct term for it?

This whole thread is a cavalcade of long-time HS players not being up on the classic meme metagame. For shame.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    no one knowing memes is a sign of a healthy metagame

liEt3nH.png
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    I never metagame I didn’t like, if you know what I meme.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Anyone else experiencing Hearthstone randomly disconnecting? It doesn't even happen during games, I'll just get a notification to reconnect every now and then or the "your game has been recorded" and restart Hearthstone message. My internet connection is perfectly fine.
    It's been happening like crazy for me when playing/AFKing battlegrounds ever since the dreaded reward path patch.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Eh, looks pretty typical of my opponents. I'm curious if Kilber won that game anyway. It looks like he had the resources to kill the Edwin in two turns or at least stall it out with taunts.

edited November 2020
    It's pretty funny how many other people are AFKing battlegrounds at the dumpster MMR. I placed 4th in a game where I didn't do anything.

forty on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    i haven't won a single time in fifteen games tonight so far, has to be some kind of new low

E: why are you awesoming this what's wrong with you

Beasteh on
    i haven't won a single time in fifteen games tonight so far, has to be some kind of new low

E: why are you awesoming this what's wrong with you
    I need someone else to share in my awful luck.

forty wrote: »
    Eh, looks pretty typical of my opponents. I'm curious if Kilber won that game anyway. It looks like he had the resources to kill the Edwin in two turns or at least stall it out with taunts.

Yeah, he killed it over two turns, taking 14 to the dome. Lots of healing allowed him to secure the win.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    this deck is for real funhavers only

### Control Warlock
    # Class: Warlock
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 2x (1) Demonic Studies
    # 1x (1) Felosophy
    # 2x (1) Spirit Jailer
    # 1x (1) Unstable Felbolt
    # 2x (2) Imprisoned Vilefiend
    # 2x (2) Soul Shear
    # 2x (3) Dark Skies
    # 2x (3) Free Admission
    # 2x (3) Man'ari Mosher
    # 2x (3) School Spirits
    # 1x (3) Sense Demons
    # 2x (4) Cascading Disaster
    # 2x (4) Fire Breather
    # 2x (5) Void Drinker
    # 1x (6) Tickatus
    # 1x (7) Soulciologist Malicia
    # 2x (8) Twisting Nether
    # 1x (10) Y'Shaarj, the Defiler
    #
    AAECAa35AwbcBr2+A87SA8/SA/zeA87hAwzbBuusA/S7A6zLA7jOA+zRA8zSA83SA5LeA5PeA5XeA8beAwA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Yeah, he killed it over two turns, taking 14 to the dome. Lots of healing allowed him to secure the win.

Er, he did kill it over two turns. But he lost that game when he cleared the board, but the board clear triggered Dirty Tricks which put one of the cast when drawn 3/3 teddy bears on board for exact lethal.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Er, he did kill it over two turns. But he lost that game when he cleared the board, but the board clear triggered Dirty Tricks which put one of the cast when drawn 3/3 teddy bears on board for exact lethal.

Oops, you're right. My bad.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    seeing a lot of players lethalling themselves to deny people doing deal x damage quests

mean spirited and shitty

Are you sure that is what’s happening? People have been committing hearthstone sudoku for years.

Quoting so you can’t change “sudoku” :D

My sweet summer child.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited November 2020
    Edit: Trivia: you can indeed get 6 buffs out of a Lightfang in one turn if you have 5 different tribes + an Amalgam. I'm glad Lightfang is good again.

forty on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    no one knowing memes is a sign of a healthy metagame

memer? i hardly know her!!

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Can we just throw Evolve mechanics in the garbage?

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Face is the place in week one and all that, but man it's crazy that both Soul DH and Aggro DH are top tier with only Twin Slice in common.
    8UOe1jV.png?1
    N1ENkVM.png?1Gl666CD.png?1

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hmmm, so what's different between that Soul DH list and mine.
    -1 Kayn (don't own), +1 Consume Magic
    -1 Il'gynoth, -1 Bladed Lady (don't own), +2 the 5 mana 6/4
    -1 Skull of Gul'dan, -1 Soulciologist Malicia (don't own--I know, I know), +2 outcast: draw 2

so pretty close overall. interesting

edit: Wait right I don't have Relentless Pursuit either. That's... two Double Jumps, I think? Or one and something else I'm not remembering.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Damn, friend, you are hurtin' for cards.

That's three legendaries and I've barely played for the last year, so :shrug:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited November 2020
    Hyper aggro DH doesn't even need stilt stepper it can get away with the deck costing like 1500 dust max

PS

https://youtu.be/HjYB9weqJgg

Beasteh on
    I was more referring to not even having the commons.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I just had a Galakrond BG first place.

12 win streak, no losses, no ties. And I even had 2 Hangry Dragons. The curse is broken.

(Also, not a single triple.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Made it to Plat for the first time in forever with Polkelt Hunter with a 68% win rate. I don't think I'll make it to the end since there's nothing blatantly broken about the deck. I'm sitting on 20k dust as well, but I if were to spend it they'll nerf whatever deck I put it into (since that happened to me twice already).

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    I've started winning games with control warlock

That may coincide with the fact that I have stopped facing demon hunters every single game

Also, I just wandered into the Hearthstone reddit and was not aware of how mad people seem to be about the new system. I'd not care as much either way if the gold was still consistent enough, but it seems like it's more grind for the same gold amounts so over time less gold. Is reddit overdoing it as it usually does, or is the rewards system "ok"?

camo_sig.png
    I meant to post this earlier. My final Golden pre-order pack.

DzuE8tB.jpg

Pretty good.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.

it's almost like Hearthstone is near impossible for returning players to get back into hmmmmm :thinkingemoji:

DNiDlnb.png
    Dibby wrote: »

it's almost like Hearthstone is near impossible for returning players to get back into hmmmmm :thinkingemoji:

I mean

I hopped onto my EU and Asian profiles in August and hit Legend on both; both are completely F2P. The EU profile had been dormant for a year. The Asian profile had basically just done the starter quests and unlocked a couple of “hey, it’s a new set, here’s some cards” legendaries and packs, but not a whole lot of those. I think that it certainly could stand to be easier to get back into, and the new progression path is too stingy, but it’s hardly impossible.

übergeek wrote: »
    Also, I just wandered into the Hearthstone reddit and was not aware of how mad people seem to be about the new system. I'd not care as much either way if the gold was still consistent enough, but it seems like it's more grind for the same gold amounts so over time less gold. Is reddit overdoing it as it usually does, or is the rewards system "ok"?

I didn't want to bring it up, but the Legends of Runeterra subReddit is being flooded with former HS players asking for help on getting started or just praising the game in general. If I had to guess, it's Reddit being Reddit and over dramatizing things. I think this is less of people being fed up with the system and just looking for a good reason to leave "guilt free" and being ok with leaving their investment behind.

I remember when I stopped playing HS and it was tough not doing daily quests since I knew gold was scarce and I'd need it all to get packs for the next expansion. But eventually those feelings subside and you spend your time on something else.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The new system as it stands has reduced the average gold a player who completes all their daily quests will receive during an expansion by like 3,000. Given that this also coincides with the fact that expansions are now planned to have a mid-expansion mini-set that will require buying even more packs, Blizzard has just made the game significantly more expensive to keep up with and/or significantly hurt the F2P experience. The frustration is quite justified unless Blizzard takes significant actions to undo their mess.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I took the year of the dragon off and I really want to play the ETC OTK warrior but I’m missing like four key cards from that set and I’m not sure I want to craft things that are rotating in four months.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I didn't want to bring it up, but the Legends of Runeterra subReddit is being flooded with former HS players asking for help on getting started or just praising the game in general. If I had to guess, it's Reddit being Reddit and over dramatizing things. I think this is less of people being fed up with the system and just looking for a good reason to leave "guilt free" and being ok with leaving their investment behind.

I remember when I stopped playing HS and it was tough not doing daily quests since I knew gold was scarce and I'd need it all to get packs for the next expansion. But eventually those feelings subside and you spend your time on something else.

I think it's a bit of both. The conversation about how predatory Hearthstone's monetization is has gotten more and more dire as the years go on and the new system seems to have been the tipping point for a lot of people.

edited November 2020
    The new system as it stands has reduced the average gold a player who completes all their daily quests will receive during an expansion by like 3,000. Given that this also coincides with the fact that expansions are now planned to have a mid-expansion mini-set that will require buying even more packs, Blizzard has just made the game significantly more expensive to keep up with and/or significantly hurt the F2P experience. The frustration is quite justified unless Blizzard takes significant actions to undo their mess.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I already stopped playing Overwatch and HoTS since the time I stopped the only things I've missed are Deathwing and Mei to my knowledge and Deathwing was a release from a loooong time ago. Everyone seemed to think Wings of Liberty was the best part of SC 2 and I'm already done with that, never tried the coop with the heroes that you can only get to lv 5 unless you buy them. I haven't played WoW since Burning Crusade, so that's out as well.

Hearthstone was the last game and I was only sticking around for the story content because every attempt at Legendary ended card nerfs deserved or not. I used to let my 3 quests fill up and reroll stuff I didn't want to do since the difference between getting 50 or 60 for time invested didn't matter, just wanted to get some packs to hopefully get something useful in a mid tier deck to trey and make a push to Legend. At least until Vicious Syndicate releases new builds my current one is still holding up. I just never like the decks that let someone plays 3 to 4 cards they held in hand and fills their board like that Warlock one going around. I'm just dumb for wanting to do it in more "honest" way (I know, not great way to describe it, it's hard to make a comparison to someone facerolling in something like HoTS or DotA to victory).

I noticed that 2 of my first weekly quests were for things that hadn't been released yet at the time for Darkmoon and one of them rerolled into something else I didn't have cards for as well. I think I'm at lv 17 right now.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    I meant to post this earlier. My final Golden pre-order pack.

https://i.imgur.com/DzuE8tB.jpg

Pretty good.
    Jesus Christ, Blizzard feeds their whales well.

Dibby wrote: »

I mean

I hopped onto my EU and Asian profiles in August and hit Legend on both; both are completely F2P. The EU profile had been dormant for a year. The Asian profile had basically just done the starter quests and unlocked a couple of “hey, it’s a new set, here’s some cards” legendaries and packs, but not a whole lot of those. I think that it certainly could stand to be easier to get back into, and the new progression path is too stingy, but it’s hardly impossible.

Hitting Legend on dormant accounts isn't quite the same as "getting back into the game", though.

Specifically, I meant that there's a rather large cost to returning if you took a long break, came back, and went "I wanna play with the new cards."

What are your options at that point? Well, if you had some gold pooled up, you can buy some packs. Use Dust, if you had some of that pooled up. Or..... spend money.

That's more or less what I was getting at, right. It's not necessarily about "Oh I can pilot a cheap deck to Legend on an account that (probably) has low internal MMR", it's about the cost of being able to get back into the game with the new shit.

DNiDlnb.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I first started playing Hearthstone in 2016 with the Whispers of the Old Gods expansion. I saw an ad for it online and decided that was the correct time to jump aboard. They gave me some starter packs and THIRTEEN free Old Gods packs. And then I got some more doing daily quests.

If they gave away 20 free packs at the start of every expansion, I could forgive Blizzard for shorting me 3000 gold. It would attract noobs and fresh blood keeps the multiplayer games healthy.

We've actually gotten fewer "free" packs with this expansion than any expansion since before Whispers.