As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Kind Words

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Kind Words

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ProtectedProtected Registered User regular
    "succor" to "diabetes" took me a minute :D

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Protected wrote: »
    "succor" to "diabetes" took me a minute :D

For me it took your comment.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah that's hilarious.

You should explain it for anyone else who might not get it though.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Sucrose, I assume?

• Options
    blueArcanablueArcana Registered User regular
    Sucker, like a candy?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    blueArcana wrote: »
    Sucker, like a candy?

This. I don't know the correct pronunciation, but "succor" is said the same as "sucker".

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    This game concept terrifies me. How has it not been immediately infested by the worst kind of people? I'd be afraid of someone needing a pick me up and instead they get a letter telling them to just kill themselves.

Edit: On further reflection, maybe it's not worth it to trolls because there's no lulz? You'll never know if your letter is delivered and they can't write you back.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    blueArcana wrote: »
    Sucker, like a candy?

This. I don't know the correct pronunciation, but "succor" is said the same as "sucker".

https://youtu.be/7UySOpb64yc
    Context
    the town hoity toity guy bought a fancy King James bible where the 's' was done as a long s (looks like a lower case f)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Winged_FuriesWinged_Furies Registered User new member
    I have played this game on and off over the last year. It helps me put my worries out there without overburdening the people around me (because I worry about a lot of things!). It is much like attending a group counseling session; you gain insight from compassionate people who may have a perspective that you hadn't considered before. I have been given words of sympathy and encouragement, youtube and book recommendations, different recipes to try out, ideas for how to vary up my days, stories from fellow writers who have been through similar situations. Regardless, from the dozens of letters I have received, I never once got a nasty one.

The designers of the game intentionally made it so that 1) you do have to pay a little bit to buy the game (not much; it's $5) so there is a small barrier for entry which means no quick jumping to new accounts if you're banned 2) because it's a computer game, not a phone app, you have to sit down and be in the headspace for "okay, I'm going to take a moment away from everything else to write/receive sincere letters from real people," which is unlike phone games where you might be more prone to distraction or irritation 3) the rewards for gamers to troll other players are basically zero, since once you send out a letter the recipient will not be replying and 4) on the rare chance that you still see an inappropriate letter in the mix, you can report it, for a number of reasons - for toxic behavior, for providing personal information when they shouldn't, for being off-topic, or because you're concerned about the well-being of the writer themselves - the game developers do reach out to people who seem in genuine distress.

Overall, a beautiful game and I am so happy it exists. We need more outlets like this for people seeking connection, especially nowadays.