As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Chance wrote: »
    So y'know how when it got to that scene in Spider-Verse where Miles' Dad is talking to him through the door, or when Miles hugs him at the end and you always get a little misty at it? Or at least I do.

Beat Miles Morales last night and that wasn't mist or misty those were tears blocking all my vision and runnin' down m'cheeks. Miles suffers a little from its story being told too quickly - I didn't think it could manage to feel so big by the end after less time to lay groundwork - but god damn.

Told you. :)

chamberlain on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Ha, fucking knew it, Kohl's cancelled my supposedly-confirmed order first thing this morning. What a garbage company, I knew they wouldn't have their shit in order for something like this. Sigh, back to the hunt.
    I was worried about this but didn't want to burst your bubble. Everyone on r/ps5 was super excited to get it on Kohls and I figured they couldn't possibly have that much stock. Guess it was true.

Kohls always seems a little flaky to me.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    All these comments about Miles are correct.

Holy cow I can't wait for Spider-man 2 =p.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Fired up No Man's Sky this evening, and I really like what they've done with the triggers for taking off in the ship

Halfway down the trigger judders like it's finding the biting point, then a smooth vibration as the trigger is pressed the rest of the way and the engine fires up

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited November 2020
    I will have to dig out my No Man's Sky. Is it finally good? Does it have giant aliens now?

Krathoon on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Four days without a queue now. Either they are actually out of stock or they are waiting for black Friday to put what they have left up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I will have to dig out my No Man's Sky. Is it finally good? Does it have giant aliens now?

I'm only on my second planet but the creatures I've seen are a step up from the last time I played about a year ago

Some of them have lights on them

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think overall the creatures are relatively the same from OG but the biggest addition is just making space travel easier to do. And crafting/freight management. The game is so much better now than it was at release it's insane.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Four days without a queue now. Either they are actually out of stock or they are waiting for black Friday to put what they have left up.

I'm thinking so too, but for Sony selling the consoles directly, I'm not sure why they would wait for black friday to put stock up. I guess there's no telling, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I played NMS on release, and I've played the next-to-most-recent patch and yeah, it's a completely different game now, and in a good way.

If you don't want to be spoiled for the game:
    They did add giant sandworms.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The controller has been a pleasant surprise.

It's messed up my muscle memory, especially with the d-pad

Spelunky 2 felt weird

I'll just have to get used to it

I'm not the biggest fan either. The D-pad is missing the little indentations in the middle that the DS4 had and the face buttons aren't completely level with each other anymore.

But by far the biggest issue i have with the Dualsense is how much thicker it is at the triggers/grip section over the DS4. Both the bumpers and triggers are larger than the DS4 by a noticible amount, and the added thickness seems to hurt my hands somewhat.

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it (or just give up entirely on certain twitch-based FPS's on consoles), but I really, really like how the DS4 felt in hand. It was perfect, slight-smaller-than-360 sized gamepad that just felt good to me. And I dont even have small hands or anything.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Well, balls.
    I'm getting an occasional green flash on the screen that looks exactly like my old PC did when its graphics card was dying.
    If this is a GPU issue like I think it is, what are my best options? Call Sony for support and/or replacement, or just send it back to Amazon and wait for them to send me a new one?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    Well, balls.
    I'm getting an occasional green flash on the screen that looks exactly like my old PC did when its graphics card was dying.
    If this is a GPU issue like I think it is, what are my best options? Call Sony for support and/or replacement, or just send it back to Amazon and wait for them to send me a new one?

Is your display HDR? Because it could be that, and not the console, or your color depth settings.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

Spelunky 2 felt weird

I'm not the biggest fan either. The D-pad is missing the little indentations in the middle that the DS4 had and the face buttons aren't completely level with each other anymore.

But by far the biggest issue i have with the Dualsense is how much thicker it is at the triggers/grip section over the DS4. Both the bumpers and triggers are larger than the DS4 by a noticible amount, and the added thickness seems to hurt my hands somewhat.

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it (or just give up entirely on certain twitch-based FPS's on consoles), but I really, really like how the DS4 felt in hand. It was perfect, slight-smaller-than-360 sized gamepad that just felt good to me. And I dont even have small hands or anything.

Turn off the rumble and it'll feel a lot better.

I turned that and haptics off, felt better, then turned haptics back on and it's been okay.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I didn’t realise it was possible to loathe a marsupial this much

Satsumomo wrote: »
    Well, balls.

Is your display HDR? Because it could be that, and not the console, or your color depth settings.

It is HDR, yes. Got any links to a guide on how this stuff is supposed to work? I just go through the options and select the ones that make sense.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I sometimes get a brief green flash when booting from rest mode (but not from power off), never experience it outside of those first five seconds.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I sometimes get a brief green flash when booting from rest mode (but not from power off), never experience it outside of those first five seconds.

I've had this happen on occasion on the PS4, going from rest mode to a game with HDR. Sometimes a green flash, sometimes for a full second the screen is either desaturated or a completely different tint.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I'm getting it during gameplay (but when I save a video and watch it back, it's not on there, so I think it's something to do with the video signal rather than the game).
    I dunno, I only know enough about this sort of thing to know I don't know enough about it to know what it is.

I figure I'll make some tech support person very frustrated in a day or two.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

Spelunky 2 felt weird

Turn off the rumble and it'll feel a lot better.

I turned that and haptics off, felt better, then turned haptics back on and it's been okay.

I actually don't have a problem with the triggers, its the added thickness and bulk overall thats a problem for me. I don't care much for the XOX and XSX controller for the same reasons

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Caved and bought MLB The Show 20 for 10 bucks

haven't played since The Show 16 so this should be a jump! Shame it's a PS4 games at this point.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited November 2020
    Well, balls.

It is HDR, yes. Got any links to a guide on how this stuff is supposed to work? I just go through the options and select the ones that make sense.

Honestly the whole HDR thing is so confusing to me when they start with modes such as "Ycbcr 4:2:0 10-bit ", so I think your best bet is to find out which modes your TV supports fully (Unfortunately, some TV manufacturers try to fake certain modes, so they can be glitchy) and match your PS5 with it. Maybe even try disabling HDR completely and see if the green flickering goes away. It could also even just be the display cable.

Edit: I thought of HDR because I often see magenta/green flashes on my LG C8 when using my PC and it switches from SDR to HDR, and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Satsumomo on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Gamestop was running some US bundles again. Naturally, the website is total trash and I'm 99.9% sure the bundles are long past sold out, but of course the website is still showing the bundles as available. A parasitic company like Gamestop basically serving up its inventory to scalpers seems like a big waste of business, though; how is Gamestop supposed to try to force people into trading in items from the trash bundles for pennies on the dollar if they're just selling to scalpers who are going to overprice it all individually anyway? Or gouge gullible kids for money for games when nobody has a console to play games on?

Anyway, the console developers need to lay down the law with retailers when it comes to this scalping/bot bullshit. Basically tell them to either implement effective anti-bot measures or fuck off, they aren't getting stock. The retailers may not give a shit because sold inventory is sold inventory, but the likes of Sony and Microsoft can't be happy when fucking nobody can get their hands on consoles because there are scalpers sitting on garages full of the damn things.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I thought about biting on that $760 gamestop bundle but I can't justify spending quite that much.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Yeah, I played NMS on release, and I've played the next-to-most-recent patch and yeah, it's a completely different game now, and in a good way.

If you don't want to be spoiled for the game:
    They did add giant sandworms.

Yes. They done good.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I thought about biting on that $760 gamestop bundle but I can't justify spending quite that much.

I travel a bunch, so finding a Gamestop to sucker in to take the junk bundle items off my hands would be no problem. Heck, I even want a Pulse headset (which scalpers are also fucking over people on swiping them), so really it would just be returning a couple games from the pricey bundle.

The fact that bots swiped the stock basically immediately didn't give me the option, though. So fuck you as usual, Gamestop.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Gamestop bundles are an attempt to *compete* with scalpers, who typically don't want inventory they can't move quickly. (And I thought they were dicks about returning even unopened games.) It mostly worked for the Nintendo Switch during pandemic, as the bundles actually managed to stay in stock more than 5 seconds. Unfortunately the street value of a PS5 is far too high to stand a chance without some absurd 1000+ bundle.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Damnit trying to create a PlayStation account and there’s already a Prohass. It feels like some bizzaro world imposter. It’s literally a nonsense word I made up when I was like 13! Give it back!

Prohass on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Check out the face plant towards the end of this video i made. Look at the snow. How cool is that!

https://youtu.be/vEs8WkgCW5o

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    My mind is completely blown about how the grip area on the controller is actually made up of a ton of tiny X's, O's, squares, and triangles. Same for the system itself.

evzenelite_120039343_2856139967950480_9074332097380720389_n-1024x1024.jpg

Edit: apparently even the grip on the thumbsticks have this pattern.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    So y'know how when it got to that scene in Spider-Verse where Miles' Dad is talking to him through the door, or when Miles hugs him at the end and you always get a little misty at it? Or at least I do.

Beat Miles Morales last night and that wasn't mist or misty those were tears blocking all my vision and runnin' down m'cheeks. Miles suffers a little from its story being told too quickly - I didn't think it could manage to feel so big by the end after less time to lay groundwork - but god damn.

I'm trying to remember if there were any others, but... I think Spider-Man 1 and Miles Morales were the two games that made me cry this gen? Oh, and Life is Strange. Oh, and TLOU2. Wait, let me look at my trophies. -- OK, I think there were actually quite a few that at least had me tearing up. It's been a good few years for emotional storytelling. But anyway. Bravo, Insomniac.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Check out the face plant towards the end of this video i made. Look at the snow. How cool is that!

https://youtu.be/vEs8WkgCW5o

That he CAN face plant is, oddly, one of my favorite additions to Miles. That was one of my VERY few complaints about Spider-man. There was no downside for bad swinging and I missed wiping out or going so fast into a wall without a move planned ahead of time that you would splat into it like in Web of Shadows.
    I get WHY they did it, and I get why Miles CAN faceplant, but I still missed it in the original.

Also, going back to Spider-man after Miles is tough. It's still a great game but the swinging feels SO much better in Miles. Which says a LOT because the SM swinging was incredible.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    @Big Classy is that performance or fidelity mode? The snow looks amazing! Also the cat. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I think that was on performance. I next the game on fidelity and decided to go through new game+ in performance :lol:

There's no going back once you play it in performance.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

Miles Morales starts in fidelity mode and I refuse to try it in performance because of this. It looks so good and I don't want to ruin it.

Demon's Souls starts in performance and I tried the "cinematic" mode and it just seemed to drop the framerate a bunch, I didn't notice much of a graphical improvement but the framerate was WAY noticeable.

SniperGuy wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

Miles Morales starts in fidelity mode and I refuse to try it in performance because of this. It looks so good and I don't want to ruin it.

Demon's Souls starts in performance and I tried the "cinematic" mode and it just seemed to drop the framerate a bunch, I didn't notice much of a graphical improvement but the framerate was WAY noticeable.

I changed it to performance right away and I wish I hadn't. It feels like the framerate is BAD when I do even though it's fine, I just am so used to the SILKY smooth 60fps. It looks great in fidelity, but not good enough for me to give up the smoothness!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I consider it an absolute win if we can reduce any of these "my human eyes can't detect the difference between 30 and 60 fps" takes. Yes, they absolutely can, people need to STOP with that.

edited November 2020
    I consider it an absolute win if we can reduce any of these "my human eyes can't detect the difference between 30 and 60 fps" takes. Yes, they absolutely can, people need to STOP with that.

Is that a thing? If so, I have an EASY experiment to prove them wrong! =p

I'm sure there's some point that is true, but it's definitely not 30 vs 60.

vamen on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Yeah, I tried Demon's in Fidelity for a bit, then switched to Performance and didn't notice a change. Then I went back to Fidelity after a while and there's really not much of a noticeable graphical difference, but that framerate is painfully sluggish after playing in performance for a while. I can't go back to fidelity now, it doesn't even look that noticeably different, especially since Demon's Souls doesn't have ray-tracing in Fidelity mode.