As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »

4k restorations by Janus. Criterion box set more than likely next year.

How have i not seen these movies...

wbBv3fj.png
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    So the first Monster Hunter trailer was quite naff but this one makes the movie seem like it is actually based on the damn game (the Palicos look spot-on) and focuses more on Milla Isekaiovich and Tony Jaa rather than Generic Diverse US Army Team, which is a start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJDAJTx9evo

Oh hey Toho is a part of this. Maybe it will have a Godzilla Easter egg.

• notyanotya Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    lololol that was the movie they made 4 years ago between Spoder-Man and Last Jedi and was apparently so bad even with another bunch of reshoots they still didn't have something to make a coherent movie. Surprised they didn't dump it earlier this year to make a covid write-off.

awww that's too bad. the trailer made me want to see it.

But who knows, editing can solve a lot of problems. Maybe they fixed it.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm leery of it just on the premise that everybody being able to see what men seems to be what caused all the women to get killed.

Because yeah, I guess things could go that way if it was the neolithic or something, but there are guns and shit. Pretty sure it would be all the dudes that would be dead because the women would very quickly figure out to group up and use the "shoot the guys with the bad thoughts" technique. Guns don't give much of a shit about physical differences and using them well doesn't have any kind of gender preference. And without the asshole guys being able to lie to trick the women, what the fuck are they going to do but get shot or get killed in their sleep?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Yeah, the premise of that movie somehow manages to be both confusing and uninteresting. I can't imagine an explanation for the situation that isn't really stupid.

Hmmm yeah that is true. It's a weird premise. Also, women appear to be in space, so that makes me wonder if the women made it so all men's thoughts were clear and then peaced out. Maybe it's like that Rick and Morty episode where the women live in space, have babies there, and then eject all the men on down to the surface.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    Hmmm yeah that is true. It's a weird premise. Also, women appear to be in space, so that makes me wonder if the women made it so all men's thoughts were clear and then peaced out. Maybe it's like that Rick and Morty episode where the women live in space, have babies there, and then eject all the men on down to the surface.

So you're saying Tom Holland has entered the Belushiverse?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Yeah, the premise of that movie somehow manages to be both confusing and uninteresting. I can't imagine an explanation for the situation that isn't really stupid.

Watching the trailer for this, I realised I read the book not long ago, coincidentally.

Assuming the film keeps the same plot (major spoilers for the book and potentially film).
    It’s set on an alien planet, that humans colonised some time before. The girl is from a crashed survey ship that comes to check things out. The telepathy is a side effect of an alien virus, after which the men in the village killed off the women as they couldn’t stand them hearing their thoughts, organised by a weird male-only cult that sprung up. The boy is the last child born there. After the girl and boy leave the village, they find large settlements all over, and the story the boy had been told about an apocalypse was bullshit, a la The Village.

I don’t know what happens after, as I didn’t read the second book. I’m pretty sure it’s generic Young Adult fiction crap.

I can’t even remember what the book was called.

I do remember the two main characters were about 13 though, which is why Tom Holland being the male lead threw me.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »

4k restorations by Janus. Criterion box set more than likely next year.

My favorite film of his is easily Chungking Express, though I have mad respect for In The Mood For Love(and its breathtaking soundtrack).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K559UjlOx_M

wVEsyIc.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    So the first Monster Hunter trailer was quite naff but this one makes the movie seem like it is actually based on the damn game (the Palicos look spot-on) and focuses more on Milla Isekaiovich and Tony Jaa rather than Generic Diverse US Army Team, which is a start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJDAJTx9evo

Of course, that's the nerdier version. (This is a good thing.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I just...

Look, I love Monster Hunter. But I don't think I'd even watch a good Monster Hunter movie. It's just not the kind of game that screams for that treatment. Monster Hunter is about sitting next to a river, futzing with the millions of things in your inventory, walking around with your eyes glued to a map, crafting all the little trinkets you need, cracking your knuckles, taking a breath, and hunting a monster. And then crafting its dick into a crossbow or whatever. Go buy a corn dog from some cat people and then repeat ad nauseam.

It's a fun mood, but that's not a movie. A short film, maybe, if anything.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Especially not a Milla Jovavich Monster Hunter movie, I see her in a movie I know its garbage 100% of the time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Especially not a Milla Jovavich Monster Hunter movie, I see her in a movie I know its garbage 100% of the time.

For me, the Resident Evil films fall into the exact same category as the Underworld films - garbage, but still a fun watch.

Admittedly, Underworld has that rubber outfit, but they're still on a par with each other.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Is this where we get into a fight about The Fifth Element? Because that movie is a treasure.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Is this where we get into a fight about The Fifth Element? Because that movie is a treasure.

That at least had Bruce Willis.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Milla Jovovich's only good movies:

Zoolander
    Fifth Element
    Dazed and Confused
    Three Musketeers '11

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'd say the RE movies are good, in a grindhouse B movie guilty pleasure way.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

That at least had Bruce Willis.

Milla's physical acting in The Fifth Element shouldn't be overlooked. Up until the end of the movie in the temple, Milla has basically zero lines that aren't moon language or bad english, but she delivers a smashing performance in a role that would hamstring the talents of better actors.

I've been told it's most likely a talent she developed as a model, communicating on a runway and on camera without ever speaking, but whatever the origin she's on fire in The Fifth Element and Luc Besson really captured her prowess. That movie falls flat without Milla's talent in her role, same for Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman. Bruce Willis is probably the most replaceable piece of the main cast, not that I would want to replace him. (Ian Holm was also terrific but his role is firmly in the wheelhouse of a decent number of actors)

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Is there any reason why Jovovich decided to squander her talents on at best b-movie schlock? The first RE movie has some narm charm but it was clear it would only go downhill. She could have been the next Sigourney Weaver but instead she's a red flag that a movie is not going to be good.

Nobeard wrote: »
    Is there any reason why Jovovich decided to squander her talents on at best b-movie schlock? The first RE movie has some narm charm but it was clear it would only go downhill. She could have been the next Sigourney Weaver but instead she's a red flag that a movie is not going to be good.

wasn't she married to the director or something? i might be confusing this.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

She's married to Paul W.S. Anderson and is in most / all of his garbage movies.

She was also married to Luc Besson between 1997 and 1999.

I exclude Kuffs and Fifth Element, but all of her Paul Anderson movies are trash fires of bad. He's basically her DM and the movies are their very public sad d&d games.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I liked the Joan of Arc movie she starred in.

I think she's also great in the first RE, since she goes through one hell of an arc from start to finish.

The rest, well, she's just playing crazy Alice from the jump.

wVEsyIc.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

The Good Place
    sequel!?!?

I know it's not but still....

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    I'd say the RE movies are good, in a grindhouse B movie guilty pleasure way.

the laser grid kill cubing that dude is right up there with jason and the sleeping bag

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    If you are of a certain age, then Milla is the quirky indie singer who went into acting. Woman has had a career.

https://youtu.be/nwDugyOCWwI

Phillishere on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I have to say that I do love that both the Underworld and Resident Evil franchises are both spawned by husband/wife director/star duos

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Milla Jovovich and Paul W.S. Anderson separately wanted to do Resident Evil movies, but the studio obviously would only do one, so they ended up kind of combining what they were working on and that became the first movie.

I think Milla's movie idea had her as Jill, initially; she mentioned it in one of the commentary tracks for the series.

sig.gif
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Qe4PKewYQbw

I'm sorry but I would only be down with a photoreal Clifford the Big Red Dog if they got an actual dog and painted him red and filmed him with forced perspective

wandering wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Qe4PKewYQbw

I'm sorry but I would only be down with a photoreal Clifford the Big Red Dog if they got an actual dog and painted him red and filmed him with forced perspective

I expect this to be a boring "family" film barely a step above direct-to-video in entertainment.

Then again I thought that of Paddington so who knows.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That dog's gonna like, hump your house. Then drop an oak tree sized shit in your yard.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That dog's gonna like, hump your house. Then drop an oak tree sized shit in your yard.

So you've read a Clifford book.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Dang this trailer slaps

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I hadn’t seen or heard anything about The Matrix before me and my friends went to see it on opening night in our tiny town theater. Only a few other people there. And little ol’ 16 year old me. Me and one of my friends ended up going directly to the box office and buying another ticket to watch immediately again. And twice more over the weekend. Blew me away for decades after even.

I’m very glad for having had that experience.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Dang this trailer slaps

I appreciate that even though that trailer shows a lot in terms of the scenes included, it reveals almost nothing because it's mainly visuals without dialogue or narration that give the whole movie away. There's no way to contextualize the vast majority of it if you haven't seen the movie, so your main reaction is pretty much, "Woah!"

Its one benefit of your movie being a spectacle kind of film, you can have a trailer that is just unconnected imagery and still attract people.

We mock comedy trailers, but if you don't put good jokes in trailers how would you know a movie is going to be funny?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Speaking of comedies, this movie already came out on HBO Max it appears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bRe8sEcOvQ

I was expecting Spy 2, which would have been great, but then it seems like just a bland comedy movie stroking James Corden's ego to be even more unbearable. Sad thing is, it felt just average until the end when it just had to shove in that forced improv comedy that I thought died off two years ago.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lupin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0iTWXCGa0&feature=emb_logo

The dubbing looks rough, but I am pretty hyped for this.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.