As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it is that time of year again where I see lots of banded woolly bear caterpillars crossing footpaths in fields.

these guys (not my pictures):
    2074937578_216f4707b6_b-660x400.jpg

Judging by the search results being full of clickbait article headlines in the form of "Can thing do this outlandish thing???", there's a myth that you can predict severity of the coming winter by the size of their orange fur region relative to the black regions. More interestingly, they can survive freezing solid in the winter, as their habitat ranges through zones with severely freezing winter conditions. They hatch in the fall or late summer, hibernate through winter, and pupate into rather fetching isabella tiger moths in spring.
    1920px-Pyrrharctia_isabella_%E2%80%93_Isabella_Tiger_Moth_%2814842796231%29.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Moths > butterflies don't @ me

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I dunno they're both pretty bad at straight lines.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Aren't moths and butterflies differentiated only by their names?
    I've heard the same things about doves and pigeons, now that I think of it.

...I should probably ask in the H&A Bug thread

• Options
    edited October 2020
    yes they are the same group, only differentiated by how colorful and pretty we think they are
    pigeons are also just doves and vice versa
    specifically the classic urban city pigeons with the grey body and bars on the wings and rainbowy throats are these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_dove

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've always differentiated moths and butterflies by how they hold their wings - butterflies fold them together vertically and moths have them flat.

• Options
    hmm actually maybe I'm wrong, wikipedia thinks moths and butteflies are differentiable but closely related groups after all.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    There are some species that blur the line between moths and butterflies, but in general there are some distinguishing traits (like the fact that moths have mechanically linked wings while on butterflies they're merely overlapping).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey, crane fly. I've been low-key afraid of an electrical fire for the past twelve days. I appreciate that you can't find your way out of my ceiling fan globe, but not a superb time to generate chaotic buzzing noises from my light fixture.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    It's been awhile since I used this forum, just testing if I remember how to compress my photos.

E: seems a little big.

itjkf58d4lc2.jpg

Foolproof on
  • Options
    Nice Monarch.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Beware its deadly sting

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I can see it plotting to destroy Dr. Venture.

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    This is my spirit animal because I admire the way it screams for sex.
    sbr5db0ahwj5.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i can absolutely relate, but gentle reminder that the phrase 'spirit animal' is generally frowned upon these days

• Options
    Well I didn't get the latest newspeak codebooks. Guess I don't get to live in the ivory tower with the good people.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    It ain't like that, we're just letting you know. Native american forumers have asked people not to use the phrase so we're respecting that.
    Most people don't know! It's not a mark against you that you didn't.
    Also that's a beautiful shot.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    whaaaaat

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    These Mites Rain Down To Save Your Strawberries | Deep Look 4:12
    https://youtu.be/Q1XFi9r3dIE
    Two tiny mites duke it out on strawberry plants throughout California. One is a spider mite that sucks the juices out of the delicious crop and destroys it. The other, persimilis, is a crafty predator that growers drop by the thousands from high-tech drones to protect their fields.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Every time I think of really small organisms, like those teeny tiny wasps, or planktonic life forms, or those mites, or what have you, it always kinda sends me into this weird spiral of like, wonderment at the complexity of it all etc. Like how marvelous to exist in a world with such tiny little creatures as complex as these, how excellent nature is.

Also it makes me a little itchy.

• Options
    That's rad, and I love it. But please, nobody tell my grandma that there are flying robots dropping millions of arachnids from the sky. I'm certain she still owns a shotgun.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's rad, and I love it. But please, nobody tell my grandma that there are flying robots dropping millions of arachnids from the sky. I'm certain she still owns a shotgun.

Excuse me, I have to buy a shotgun.

• Options
    How One Spider Became (Mostly) Vegetarian 6:33
    https://youtu.be/ygn8V5mHUBk
    Bagheera kiplingi has a most un-spider-like adaptation: a taste for plants.

• Options
    Born Pregnant: Aphids Invade with an Onslaught of Clones | Deep Look 5:01
    https://youtu.be/vrzalLssomg
    Female aphids are the matriarchs of a successful family operation— taking over your garden. But don’t lose hope; these pests have some serious predators and creepy parasites looking to take them down.

Yeap absolutely not terrifying at all

• Options
    life is amazing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I saw people bringing up aphids as an example of how organic pest control works for years and not once did anybody tell me how interesting they are. Thanks for nothing, middle school science teachers.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/this-insect-has-the-only-mechanical-gears-ever-found-in-nature?utm_source=pocket-newtab

This seemed pretty interesting, it's a short article about a species of planthopper, Issus Coleoptratus, whose nymphs have what are basically exoskeletal gears to sync up the motion of their hind legs when jumping.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/this-insect-has-the-only-mechanical-gears-ever-found-in-nature?utm_source=pocket-newtab

This seemed pretty interesting, it's a short article about a species of planthopper, Issus Coleoptratus, whose nymphs have what are basically exoskeletal gears to sync up the motion of their hind legs when jumping.

Article: "Isn't this insect weird?"
    Me: It's a planthopper, isn't it?

Planthoppers are just the weirdest bugs. The entire infraorder is like the Platypus of the insect world.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    That article gets a markdown for only having one, not great, picture. It should have several pictures of cool bug. The end.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Found four of these in our polytunnel today

dtila4i033qo.jpg

Yes, eat all our slugs my scaley minions!

• Options
    Whoa what, you have snakes there? I thought St. Patrick drove them all out!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Whoa what, you have snakes there? I thought St. Patrick drove them all out!

It's not a snake and it's not native to ireland.
    It's a legless lizard (Anguis fragilis), aka "Slow worm".

• Options
    what
    WHAT

• Options
    THEY SAID IT'S A SLOW WORM

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I don't live in Ireland Pinfeldorf. And yes it's a slow worm, a lady slow worm I do believe. They're a protected species here because they're in decline.

We do have snakes as well though! 2 whole species I think. Grass snake and adder.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    You know what we call legless lizards? Snakes.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    You know what we call legless lizards? Snakes.

And the thing in between a snake and a lizard is a skink. They are just those 3 things.