As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Elven Accent [chat]

EddyEddy Gengar the BittersweetRegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
Elves have accents. What do they sound like?

The GF in the AITA who LARPed as an elf during a Zoom call supporting her BF's relative who was undergoing chemo: Irish

Standard Received Pronunciation (and NOT Icelandic, which Tolkien wanted but the rest of the cultured world rejected): the King's/Queen's English

A culture that is a goofy relic of the past and weirdly monotonal and emotionless whilst proclaiming the supremacy of their race: 1920s Mid-Atlantic radio voice

My superior theory to reflect a greying population watching their ancient culture be sullied and ultimately subsumed by a decadent modern west: Japanese

Ceddy's inferior theory, based on a subversion of how Dwarves appear to be the ultimate drunken, hard-fighting, hard-fucking townies: Boston townie

honorable mentions:
California Stoner vocal fry (High Elves)
Icelandic/Norse (Tolkien's original vision)
French (because of course)
Australian (for the antipodean Drows)

"and the morning stars I have seen
and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
Eddy on

Modern Elven Accent [chat] 84 votes

Irish/Gaelic
21%
MulysaSemproniusBahamutZEROTetraRaykriegsRhesus PositiveAntinumericBurnageFoefallerKruiteBethrynElvenshaeLucedesKadokenSmrtnikspool32milskiKanaGiantGeek2020 18 votes
The Queen's English
9%
HappylilElfTastyfishzekebeausurrealitycheckBethalizdavidsdurionsmRahmanicredeiki 8 votes
1920s Mid-Atlantic
20%
MrMisterQuidDoodmannKaboodles_The_AssassincncaudataHahnsoo1GarickCaptain InertiaronyaDonkey KongChanusSolomaxwell6GundiAuralynxknitdancB557A Kobold's Kobold 17 votes
Japanese
22%
Rear Admiral ChocoElendilP10LoserForHireXRamijungleroomxBrodyDemonStaceyAlazullHonkEddyWinkySealOrcaKamiroOrphaneMsAnthropyTuminpainfulPleasance 19 votes
Boston townie
26%
nexuscrawlerPsychoLarry1HenroidElement BrianTTODewbackVishNubIncenjucarCasual Eddydurandal4532ArchMimTcheldorAbdhyiusMazzyxPowerpuppiesSleepWiseManTobesStyrofoam SammichzepherinAlexandier 22 votes

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    The [chat] should’ve been called “[chat] and Hammerstein’s ‘Orcs and Dolls’”

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    Ents, but Italian

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Oi

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Japanese
    Drizzt-kun~~~

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Japanese
    all the elves i've seen (in hentai) speak japanese

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Boston townie
    P10 wrote: »
    all the elves i've seen (in hentai) speak japanese

‘Cist

• Options
    The correct answer is bogan

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Do you think a wal-mart in hell would have any sort of extra torture for the employees?

Presumably when the players are talking to an NPC at some point a manager who is clearly a devil would come over "Hey guys! I see you're talking to Mark, one of our super stars! I'm sure he'll find what you need, won't you Mark"
    Mark: *noncommittal groan*
    Manager: "Ha ha, that's the spirit! Mark, don't forget it's your turn to bring chips to the mandatory holiday party tonight and also could you work late, Vogthoth called out sick. Great, thanks, sorry to interrupt folks!"

Is that enough or does like, an imp also then throw a rock at Mark or something? Just little infernal kids going around pulling items off shelves while their parent argues with someone on the phone in front of the area he's trying to restock?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Tumin wrote: »
    Drizzt-kun~~~

The problem with Drizzt is that he doesn't have enough people that want him

they came close with Arunika and Dalia and PROBABLY Artemis Entrari all at once but they missed an opportunity

override367 on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    I don’t even know what the accent I picked sounds like but all the others sucked so here we are

• Options
    Boston townie
    Satan would make sure the chips were salt free, vegan, gluten free, soy free, fat free, kosher, no parabens, all natural ingredients and peanut free because Karen’s son’s friend David who visits sometimes is very allergic to various nuts.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Whatever Sadie Doyle's accent is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tOiqrIAOQ

I think it's closest to 1920s Mid-Atlantic probably

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Well, that was an emotional shit sandwich two days in a row.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Wait Eddy if elves speak Japanese then my fanfic series “Legolas and the Masamune Blade” is basically canon

I’m in

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Oh no

• Options
    Boston townie
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, that was an emotional shit sandwich two days in a row.

????

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Irish/Gaelic
    I don’t even know what the accent I picked sounds like but all the others sucked so here we are

It's a half-American, half-British way of pronunciation (hence "mid-Atlantic") that was done as a radio-voice and movie-voice for posh people a long time ago.

ED: Movie voice, not move-voice.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Japanese
    Mim wrote: »
    Satan would make sure the chips were salt free, vegan, gluten free, soy free, fat free, kosher, no parabens, all natural ingredients and peanut free because Karen’s son’s friend David who visits sometimes is very allergic to various nuts.

I feel like that's actually Heaven, which is so considerate and inoffensive as to be dreary and depressing

Hell is obviously the salt-brined sea in chip form, because it's bad for you but it feels so good

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    This is the best chat poll I've ever seen.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Is thanksgiving tomorrow?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Isn't total travelers way down though?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

I give thanks every day. #blessed

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edkrglsfwsmt.jpeg

• Options

Thursday, so depending on your time zone, yes.

• Options

Thursday

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Japanese
    Hell's Walmart's shelves are increasingly enticing and become better stocked and cheaper the deeper you go, but you have to agree to more and more sketchy loyalty programs to get to the best deals, and any time you're on the fence they bring in a closer who will do whatever it takes to get you on board

Surely you won't let your deepest desires go over a little loyalty test?

Tumin on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It’s not just the regional British and Irish accents that permeate the general depiction of fantasy races, it’s the delights of our class system as well.

Never hear anything but working class orcs, do you? Maybe Sauron is just trying to unionise them, and Gandalf is a strikebreaker.

• Options
    Boston townie
    JebusUD wrote: »

Volume is around half apparently, though Im not sure how much comfort I find in that

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Hrm, comments on that tweet are asking for passenger count

So maybe this isn't actually as bad as it seems

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Irish/Gaelic
    I've tried Irish elves when running fantasy games, but got slated for the accent attempt, so I stick with languorous Roger Allam-esque posh voices instead

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    It is the phrase that comes to mind when you've heard enough shitty boston townies.
    Just thinking of an ethereally beautiful LOTR style elf in all their finery just yelling that absolutely trash line is quite the mental image.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    mX0cGT8.jpg

• Options
    The flight tomorrow I was supposed to be on was almost empty.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elves are aussies from the boonies.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Boston townie
    Bogart wrote: »
    It’s not just the regional British and Irish accents that permeate the general depiction of fantasy races, it’s the delights of our class system as well.

Never hear anything but working class orcs, do you? Maybe Sauron is just trying to unionise them, and Gandalf is a strikebreaker.

There was some guy, Russian I think, who wrote a version of the story where Sauron is trying to build an egalitarian industrial society and gets overthrown by a superstitious and wildly racist hereditary aristocracy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Elves are aussies from the boonies.

THIS IS THE JOKE I’M TRYING TO MAKE

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    It is the phrase that comes to mind when you've heard enough shitty boston townies.
    Just thinking of an ethereally beautiful LOTR style elf in all their finery just yelling that absolutely trash line is quite the mental image.

... *loosens collar*

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Ents, but Italian

Entalians.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.