As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    forty wrote: »
    We've actually gotten fewer "free" packs with this expansion than any expansion since before Whispers.

I don't pay a cent for this game so I got 3 packs before the expansion launched and 6 from sampling the new Duels mode. That's not awful nor is it good enough.

emnmnme on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    The duels packs were for Scholomance Academy, so that's pretty chintzy.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just had my first BG win where I won by default because the third player lost to a ghost. I'll take it.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Arena weekly quest? Yeah, no.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    opened inara so i had to do it

### Evolve Shaman
    # Class: Shaman
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
    # 2x (1) Revolve
    # 2x (1) Sludge Slurper
    # 2x (1) Surging Tempest
    # 2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
    # 2x (3) Desert Hare
    # 2x (3) Far Sight
    # 2x (3) Pit Master
    # 1x (3) Stormstrike
    # 2x (4) Dread Corsair
    # 2x (4) Hoard Pillager
    # 2x (5) Boggspine Knuckles
    # 2x (5) Derailed Coaster
    # 1x (5) Inara Stormcrash
    # 2x (9) Mogu Fleshshaper
    # 2x (10) Sea Giant
    #
    AAECAZu1AwKo3gOu3gMO0wGyBu4GxpkD1KUD2KkDtq0D6LAD3bgD8NQD3NsDpt4Dqd4Dqt4DAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular

Aren't the 'free' packs and legendary placed in the xp path?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Arena weekly quest? Yeah, no.

I kept it because I have (had) 5 unused arena tickets. (I now have 4 and completed the quest.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Yes. The packs are both fewer and take longer to get than with prior expansions.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The DH Duels run I started before the patch is going well.

6zo3s1U.png?1

E: Absolutely effortless 12-0. Final list:
    FmjsU6c.png?1

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Yeah after playing with it a bit the rewards track sucks pretty bad to use. Not because it's empirically less stuff you're getting, but because seeing this big long bar you can only fill up a tiny bit each day isn't satisfying game design. Which is odd because designing bar filling is like, usually one of Blizzard's best skills.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    ya boy SuperMurloc here was not having a very good time in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

MRccpWI.png

I don't get it.

he evolved his guy into a doomsayer, is that not obvious?

he did manage to revolve one of my guys into a depth charge that cleared my board previously so it balanced out

It looked like a situation where you were going to be killing him next turn anyway (barring some way to clear your dudes or heal), so the Doomsayer seemed a bit superfluous to me.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Not that it really matters, but was the Twisting Nether a topdeck?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Not that it really matters, but was the Twisting Nether a topdeck?

I honestly don't remember. But it's HS, so probably. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

Yes. The packs are both fewer and take longer to get than with prior expansions.

Take longer? You get a pack for reaching levels 1,2 and 3, and a legendary on level 0. Which is achieved by playing a game or two? How is this taking longer, when previous free packs required you to play 100 cards or something?

Together with the 6 free scholomance packs from Duels, I don't think it's as bad as you describe.

See my profile here!

Take longer? You get a pack for reaching levels 1,2 and 3, and a legendary on level 0. Which is achieved by playing a game or two? How is this taking longer, when previous free packs required you to play 100 cards or something?

Together with the 6 free scholomance packs from Duels, I don't think it's as bad as you describe.
    It's varied from expansion to expansion, but in general lately we've been getting at least 6 new packs by playing legendary quests over the first few days. Scholomance, for reference:
    Play 25 Cards in Play mode to earn 2 Scholomance Academy card packs.
    Play 20 Spells in any mode to earn 2 Scholomance Academy card packs
    Win 3 games any mode to earn 2 Scholomance Academy card packs.

The track has only 5 new packs on it, 2 of which significantly longer to obtain. It makes no sense to count the Scholomance packs from duels because they're not from the latest expansion, and they're a reward tied to the release of the new mode and not part of the rewards track (i.e., you won't be getting 6 more packs from Duels quests with every expansion release).

The only noteworthy "extra" from the latest expansion on the reward track is the second legendary at level 25, but at the moment that's coming at a significant loss of gold income, which is the primary complaint (and at least one pack :P).

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Someone link me to a good resource for Duels decks

I ain't good at deckbuilding, just piloting :T

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    edited November 2020
    Dibby wrote: »

There's a Duels tournament live in 10 minutes.

E: Not sure I want to VOD hunt for all 72 lists they'll end up, but I guess I also have nothing better to do...

Yilias on

It's varied from expansion to expansion, but in general lately we've been getting at least 6 new packs by playing legendary quests over the first few days. Scholomance, for reference:
    Play 25 Cards in Play mode to earn 2 Scholomance Academy card packs.
    Play 20 Spells in any mode to earn 2 Scholomance Academy card packs
    Win 3 games any mode to earn 2 Scholomance Academy card packs.

The track has only 5 new packs on it, 2 of which significantly longer to obtain. It makes no sense to count the Scholomance packs from duels because they're not from the latest expansion, and they're a reward tied to the release of the new mode and not part of the rewards track (i.e., you won't be getting 6 more packs from Duels quests with every expansion release).

The only noteworthy "extra" from the latest expansion on the reward track is the second legendary at level 25, but at the moment that's coming at a significant loss of gold income, which is the primary complaint (and at least one pack :P).

Yeah, you get more packs later on, but I feel with adding the free epic and gold in the lower levels it feels more than enough to make up for it timewise. Those first levels go super fast, so I'm not really agreeing it takes longer.

Still, it's up in the air for me if the whole track gives me more or less gold, (I only have time for about four games a day, four/five days a week), so maybe I'm not really negatively affected here.

See my profile here!
    edited November 2020
    You need to hit level 55 on the track to surpass maximum engagement of the previous system on total net worth of assets, and level 63 to surpass it for just gold. I am unaware of the total experience requirements for the track so I can't comment on the realism of those as goals or how the time requirements compare.

HpkhML7.png?1

Yilias on
    edited November 2020
    Just speaking from personal experience here...

I've been playing somewhat casually, making sure I complete all my dailies and weeklies (not necessarily playing every day, but making sure I do clear my dailies in time and that I don't lose any). Usual play time ranges from 1-3 hours per day? And I bounce between Battlegrounds and Standard. Mostly BGs, nowadays, but still slumming it in Standard. Really I just gotta bite the bullet and use my dust for crafting, I was waiting for the initial meta to settle in before doing any of that.

ANYWAY.

Given my play time and play style.... I'm currently at level 22 on the Rewards Track. Using the free version, god no I'm not buying the stupid pass thing. Given that it came out with the Nov 12th patch, and it's now Nov 24th... I'd say that's decent progress? But a lot of the supposed extra value from the new rewards track assumes capping out at 50 and getting the extra 150 gold per level every level beyond 50.... So, it's all very backloaded. It's VERY backloaded and very dependent on actually capping out to begin with.

I'm sure that, given enough time, yeah, I'll cap out, hit 50, start to make up the extra gold that I otherwise would've been losing... But... God, I dunno, I just feel like the Rewards Track is a bit of a huge slog, the rewards should be more frontloaded, like yeah you have the entire expac window to cap 50 and then some, but.

I dunno. I still think that, it's a good idea on paper, they just seriously messed up the math and missed the mark tremendously. I dunno if exp gains need to be sped up, or if they need to restructure it so rewards are more frontloaded, or... what. But. Current implementation? Not good. I believe that it's a good idea in theory, they just need to... improve it. A lot.

edit: And yeah, it just kinda Feels Bad having your dailies and weeklies result in this sort of vague "nothing" reward, right. Like, exp. Okay. That's not really tangible. It was a lot easier to see like "oh, I completed my daily and got 60 gold, nice nice nice." But now it's like, you complete a daily, you get "exp", and it's this vague sort of like... what even is this. What does this do? It fills the bar up, I guess, but... they do such a pisspoor job of showing how you get exp (which is to say, they fucking don't) that it feels like it's meaningless. Show me the exp I get when I play a game. Show me EVERY exp gain I fucking get. Alert me when I've unlocked a new reward, don't just put a little dingy on the Journal icon. Fucking give me a goddamn pop-up. This is basic bitch shit, I'm not sure how they bungled that part.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Yilias wrote: »
    You need to hit level 55 on the track to surpass maximum engagement of the previous system on total net worth of assets, and level 63 to surpass it for just gold. I am unaware of the total experience requirements for the track so I can't comment on the realism of those as goals or how the time requirements compare.

https://i.imgur.com/HpkhML7.png?1
    Your math is still off because it doesn't count the packs from release quests in the old system that have been taken away.

Fine forty, do your own damn math then. I know you're just here to complain like always.

Fine forty, do your own damn math then. I know you're just here to complain like always.
    Man, this is quite the reaction to facts. It's funny that correcting inaccuracies and misconceptions is now "complaining."

Anyway, I already did the damn math in the last thread. The math is also all over the internet. People are justifiably upset because the new system as released was a shit sandwich that Blizzard sold as filet mignon. Even Blizzard admitted they fucked up. The problem now is the band-aid adjustment they've made so far is still insufficient to make up for what was taken away with this new system.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I got my 12 straight ranked wins achievement with Odd DH in dumpster Legend ranked Wild.

2x (1) Battlefiend
    2x (1) Beaming Sidekick
    1x (1) Consume Magic
    2x (1) Crimson Sigil Runner
    2x (1) Demon Companion
    2x (1) Guardian Augmerchant
    2x (1) Intrepid Initiate
    2x (1) Lowly Squire
    2x (1) Mana Burn
    2x (1) Pen Flinger
    2x (1) Twin Slice
    1x (3) Acrobatics
    2x (3) Dreadlord's Bite
    1x (3) Magehunter
    2x (3) Stiltstepper
    1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
    1x (5) Loatheb
    1x (9) Baku the Mooneater

It’s a super boring deck that basically just requires that you memorize some very mechanical play patterns. But it’s stupid-strong given how slow and greedy a good portion of the Wild meta is right now, and it has reasonable matchups against the more aggressive decks like Secret Mage and the various flavours of Tempo Rogue. Also, the three Legendary cards are 100% staple cards for a Wild collection, and are about as safe as any crafts in the game.

DH is just such a boring class; every game feels pretty much the same, with minimal RNG. If I wanted a game like that, I’d be playing MTG or LOR. But hey: only 859 more wins for the 1,000 win DH portrait.

. . .FML.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Wow, what an ending. Even the Arcane Missiles refused to undo the karma.

edited November 2020
    decided to learn the intricacies of the il'gynoth otk combo and its actually kind of a fun puzzle

### Il'gynoth Demon Hunter
    # Class: Demon Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 1x (1) Consume Magic
    # 1x (1) Double Jump
    # 1x (1) Ethereal Augmerchant
    # 2x (1) Felosophy
    # 2x (1) Felscream Blast
    # 2x (1) Twin Slice
    # 2x (2) Blade Dance
    # 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
    # 2x (2) Chaos Strike
    # 2x (2) Immolation Aura
    # 2x (2) Mo'arg Artificer
    # 2x (2) Spectral Sight
    # 2x (3) Acrobatics
    # 2x (3) Aldrachi Warblades
    # 2x (3) Eye Beam
    # 1x (4) Il'gynoth
    # 1x (4) Raging Felscreamer
    # 2x (6) Skull of Gul'dan
    #
    AAECAZvoAwbtBb27A+C+A9TIA9bRA9DdAwyHugPXuwPgvAPpvgPHxgPZxgPVyAP8yAPO0gPd0wPH3QPZ3gMA
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

the basic combo is il'gynoth > ethereal augmerchant it > double artificer, felscream blast your own guys so it hits 3 of them, if you have an outcast eyebeam you can sub that in over the augmerchant for the same overall damage

this will do 24, add a third discounted mo'arg via raging felscreamer and you're looking at 36 damage which will put any non-armor class immediately to sleep

the damage potential is way higher if you manage to hit multiple combo pieces with a skull (not that this is remotely likely since being a combo deck you often are stuck with a non-outcast skull in hand)

You can quite often partially combo by bluffing an aggro DH and going face with twin slices/warblades/blade dances etc which can get someone down to ~20 fairly easily

beware of glide and mindrender illucia, i have had both used against me while i was learning and they insta lost me the game each time

Beasteh on
    Legend #12, I think? Second time with Shaman, first time with Shaman in Standard. I used Pure Paladin until rank 3, at which point I got frustrated with having a 70% win rate against the field and a 30% win rate against Shaman. I found a version of the deck on reddit, plugged it in, and basically win-streaked to Legend. It's pretty disgustingly powerful, and surprisingly doesn't have a single Legendary, with only two epics. I figure that there are going to be nerfs.

In the meantime, it's an absolute blast to play. Aside from the mulligan (you hard mulligan for either Cagematch Custodian or Boggspine Knuckles, no exceptions), there's a lot of interesting decision-making that goes into the deck. How far do you commit on board before the swing turns? You need to stay alive, but you also need to save resources so that you can evolve them, and the Derailed Coaster in particular rewards holding back cards. And then, once you do have an evolved board, do you try to press that advantage and keep evolving, or do you hold back a weapon swing and minions in hand in case of a clear. Plus, every game presents a very different "what attacks where" puzzle.

Revolve Shaman
    2x (0) Lightning Bloom
    2x (1) Animated Broomstick
    2x (1) Revolve
    2x (1) Sludge Slurper
    2x (1) Surging Tempest
    2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
    2x (2) Novice Engineer
    2x (3) Desert Hare
    2x (3) Pit Master
    2x (3) Stormstrike
    2x (4) Dread Corsair
    2x (4) Hoard Pillager
    2x (5) Boggspine Knuckles
    2x (5) Derailed Coaster
    2x (9) Mogu Fleshshaper

Code: AAECAYHaAwAPnALuBsaZA9SlA9ipA7atA+iwA924A5XNA/DUA9zbA6beA6jeA6neA6reAwA=

Play it before it gets hit with a nerf-bat IMO.

Ha, Kibler won the duels event, cracked open the champagne, and hurt himself with the carbonation being more than he planned for. His second run was basically all about creating duplicate Jekliks, which all had rush, and thereby making Demon Hunters cry. It was pretty sweet to watch. It was also neat seeing Kibler playing with a lot more focus and intensity than he does on ladder.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Legend #12, I think? Second time with Shaman, first time with Shaman in Standard. I used Pure Paladin until rank 3, at which point I got frustrated with having a 70% win rate against the field and a 30% win rate against Shaman. I found a version of the deck on reddit, plugged it in, and basically win-streaked to Legend. It's pretty disgustingly powerful, and surprisingly doesn't have a single Legendary, with only two epics. I figure that there are going to be nerfs.

In the meantime, it's an absolute blast to play. Aside from the mulligan (you hard mulligan for either Cagematch Custodian or Boggspine Knuckles, no exceptions), there's a lot of interesting decision-making that goes into the deck. How far do you commit on board before the swing turns? You need to stay alive, but you also need to save resources so that you can evolve them, and the Derailed Coaster in particular rewards holding back cards. And then, once you do have an evolved board, do you try to press that advantage and keep evolving, or do you hold back a weapon swing and minions in hand in case of a clear. Plus, every game presents a very different "what attacks where" puzzle.

Revolve Shaman
    2x (0) Lightning Bloom
    2x (1) Animated Broomstick
    2x (1) Revolve
    2x (1) Sludge Slurper
    2x (1) Surging Tempest
    2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
    2x (2) Novice Engineer
    2x (3) Desert Hare
    2x (3) Pit Master
    2x (3) Stormstrike
    2x (4) Dread Corsair
    2x (4) Hoard Pillager
    2x (5) Boggspine Knuckles
    2x (5) Derailed Coaster
    2x (9) Mogu Fleshshaper

Code: AAECAYHaAwAPnALuBsaZA9SlA9ipA7atA+iwA924A5XNA/DUA9zbA6beA6jeA6neA6reAwA=

Play it before it gets hit with a nerf-bat IMO.
    This deck is legit. Thank you sir.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Ha, Kibler won the duels event, cracked open the champagne, and hurt himself with the carbonation being more than he planned for. His second run was basically all about creating duplicate Jekliks, which all had rush, and thereby making Demon Hunters cry. It was pretty sweet to watch. It was also neat seeing Kibler playing with a lot more focus and intensity than he does on ladder.

It’s a nice reminder that he is in fact still really good at card games.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What does a modern spell priest look like? Some were freaking out before the expansion over those new discounting cards but I can count the number of priests I've played against on one hand.

edited November 2020
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What does a modern spell priest look like? Some were freaking out before the expansion over those new discounting cards but I can count the number of priests I've played against on one hand.
    NoHandsGamer has been playing "Cube Priest" (I don't know why that seems to be the name) at pretty high Legend rank. I also faced one last night on ladder at <lol we don't tell you your MMR> rank. This might be the list.

(RIP hsdecker for now)

forty on

E: Not sure I want to VOD hunt for all 72 lists they'll end up, but I guess I also have nothing better to do...

They cut it from 3 rounds to 2 because they were waaaaaay behind schedule, so here's all the lists. Feno, Zalae, and tyler are blank because their VODs are behind a sub paywall.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lt-HfdEkRVa9fmZM9mle6RfaCDau1uM7kBDFWbJXbVg/edit?usp=sharing

I'd lend more credence to the round 2 decks since most players made small adjustments even if they got the same class. Meta seems pretty hierarchical and solved for the most part though, very little variety in strategies or lists.

Tier 1
    Soul & Discard & C'Thun Control Warlock
    Outcast Aggro DH

Tier 1.5
    Secret Tempo C'Thun Mage
    Burn Tempo C'Thun Mage

Tier 2
    Combo Rogue
    Enrage Warrior

Tier Sadness
    Deathrattle Hunter (1-9 game score lul)
    Any other class

There were some attempts at other stuff like Tom played a Control Warrior and Kripp a Control Mage but they seemed like real struggles. It was also amusing seeing people get offered options like Shaman/Priest/Paladin/Hunter and saying "well maybe I can try highroll someone with Hunter and not go out 0-3" and then do so anyway.

They cut it from 3 rounds to 2 because they were waaaaaay behind schedule, so here's all the lists. Feno, Zalae, and tyler are blank because their VODs are behind a sub paywall.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lt-HfdEkRVa9fmZM9mle6RfaCDau1uM7kBDFWbJXbVg/edit?usp=sharing

I'd lend more credence to the round 2 decks since most players made small adjustments even if they got the same class. Meta seems pretty hierarchical and solved for the most part though, very little variety in strategies or lists.

this was my biggest fucking worry when duels was announced. i knew right away shit'd be solved super fucking fast and there wouldn't be any sort of evolving meta or any real interesting choices or deckbuilding strats. literally just shove The Best 16 Cards in there and hope you highroll good treasures and shit

...doesn't help that it's incomplete, either, though, because HPs and signature treasures are still limited, but. i can easily imagine a power disparity there, like some will probably just be plain better than others yeah?

DNiDlnb.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Yogg is still the best

cx13uz62e0lc.png

I just love that guygod

5ve4f4y2j6za.png