As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    Blood Angels Red will come out looking like World Eaters. Definitely go for Flesh Tearers.

Tamiya clear red over a dark silver is the official* Forgeworld 30k scheme.

* I think now they say Angron Red, which is a knock-off.

@Asher watching Sorastro, eh? His Legion videos are the best.

I haven't actually! Must be convergent evolution, only so many ways to paint a white and black model I suppose.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Not sure what i'm more impressed by, you having aquired a box of those clones or the paint job!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Thanks J!
    They are as rare as hens Teeth (Or what ever the Star Wars equivilent of a chicken is), but we've got restocks down under. I've gota 2nd squad to paint up next AND ARC Troopers! One of my friends bullied a store into giving him Maul early too ....
    E6DpDTs.jpg
    And they're done!

Probably spend 2ish hours to finish off and base the squad today. Also finished off Padme, who I will edit in once the basing is done drying.

Asher on
  • Options
    Niiice.

I have a box of arcs and maul on order for alleged restock on 25th. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I painted a thing recently.
    HApp0Tb.jpg
    9iJ0eKA.jpg

I really need to get through my backlog of half-painted shit and start on my Legion starters. And my Infinity stuff. And my AoS explody boners. And my CSM things from a starter box. And my DE. And my Battletech stuff. And my

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    HApp0Tb.jpg
    9iJ0eKA.jpg

I really need to get through my backlog of half-painted shit and start on my Legion starters. And my Infinity stuff. And my AoS explody boners. And my CSM things from a starter box. And my DE. And my Battletech stuff. And my
    This feels a bit like a Kingdom Death mini, but it's too short on penises and must be from another source. :P

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    HApp0Tb.jpg
    9iJ0eKA.jpg

This feels a bit like a Kingdom Death mini, but it's too short on penises and must be from another source. :P

It may be short on penises, but it's got plenty of short penises!

• Options
    H2X1o6V.jpg
    And a Padme! I love models that don't have heaps of superfluous detail, but are still nicely sculpted. I'd guess she probably took an hour tops. THe face is the only thing that actually took any really effort. The rest is contrast over Zenithal priming and drybrushing.
    Now its ARC Time.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got the fluorescent pigment from green stuff world today. Gonna test it with the resin I have tomorrow.

I am curious though, the bottles say to use resin within 6 months and I bought this back in September of 2019. What happens when this stuff expires? Just bad molds?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sorry for the Spam, but I picked up Anakin. Just build and sprayed him, so now I have 1.5 Hours until my wife gets home ... Start the clock and I'll see how far I get ...

ZSfrkl1.jpg

45 minutes in.

And Done!
    bp33JGc.jpg
    ZDDWrs3.jpg

Amazing sculpt!
    Done in 1hr 45 including the time it took to upload photos and make pizza dough for dinner.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Asher wrote: »
    Sorry for the Spam, but I picked up Anakin. Just build and sprayed him, so now I have 1.5 Hours until my wife gets home ... Start the clock and I'll see how far I get ...

ZSfrkl1.jpg

45 minutes in.

And Done!
    bp33JGc.jpg
    ZDDWrs3.jpg

Amazing sculpt!
    Done in 1hr 45 including the time it took to upload photos and make pizza dough for dinner.

How dare you spam painting progress in a paint thread!

I really like the lightsaber, it looks awesome.

Mixed up some resin to see how the fluorescent pigment works out. I felt like I mixed it really well but I guess not as well as I thought.

Resin takes about 2 hours to harden enough for demolding so I'll know how the rest came out soon.
    9kvjwdnvrjvm.jpeg
    b2kleo5k06gn.jpeg

Having a crazy moment. Side of my lip felt like I ate something spicy and now I'm wondering if I got resin on my lip or in my mouth. So annoying. I need to remember to wear protection for stuff like that.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Possible to add the pigment into a smaller volume of resin, then transfer it to the rest?

If you can partly dissolve the pigment (even to the consistency of a slurry) it'll mix more easily.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Legion minis are a joy because they aren't overwhelmed with details like GW minis.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    pardzh wrote: »
    Possible to add the pigment into a smaller volume of resin, then transfer it to the rest?

If you can partly dissolve the pigment (even to the consistency of a slurry) it'll mix more easily.

I mixed it in part B of the resin and then added it to part A. I'll try stirring more thoroughly next time.

The tin foil was apparently a huge mistake. I couldn't get it off of the resin since parts of the resin hardened around creases and folds of the tin foil. Couldn't sand it because I didn't have coarse enough sandpaper though I still tried. Ended up using a table saw to cut off thin slices of the sides. Made sure to wear my face mask through all of this though during the table saw part it did not feel like it was good enough.

Added some wavy patterns with my dremel and put a layer of resin over it though I feel like it won't come out how I'm hoping. Luckily I only need to wait 2 hours to find out.

• Options
    Legion minis are a joy because they aren't overwhelmed with details like GW minis.

It's just so relaxing! GW miniatures can be a real slog because in addition to all the detail, they're also large. It's just more work to paint them.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Alright. So it came out as more of a booger cube instead of a gelatinous cube. I think I put in way too much pigment when I added a layer of resin to shine things up. I probably should have just used some varnish instead.
    lWuZMKP.jpg
    gdn8Tr4.jpg

I've learned things which is good. Don't use tin foil as a mold, always wear my mask so I don't get paranoid about resin splashing on my lip, maybe get a full on respirator if I am going to be sanding/cutting resin since my mask did not make me feel confident, and use less pigment if I am adding a thin layer of resin to get things looking nice again.

Definitely an interesting project.

Stragint on

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Test Space Woof.
    isxGzrj.jpg
    97v7cbd.jpg
    ZSETtdZ.jpg
    yEtk1fi.jpg

Almost have enough models to play Kill Team. :o

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's a good dirty woof

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2020
    Finished my Tyranid Warriors this week

aq59kknnpmms.jpeg

WIP Carnifex from this morning, almost done

but6hxfvseuc.jpg

All Nids painted in the last 3 weeks

6ruq4k2bcuwv.jpg

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Games Workshop has been fairly kind to my wallet this year for the most part, with not too many big released that tempted me, but of course they then bunched up all the things I was interested in over the last few months, the swines! I've started grinding my way through the (rather hefty) Catacombs box for Warcry, and I've got the broken realms DoK/Slaanesh dual-box sitting under my desk taunting me, and now they announce a whole bunch of fancy Slaanesh kits to come, a tragedy!

Anyway, I've just about finished the catacombs warbands, naturally I was mostly interested in the Khainites, but I did find the chaos squad surprisingly good fun to paint as well.

fjmlm6450bk3.jpg
    tqy3ugo27zc2.jpg
    u8wpndtutryn.jpg
    la1rr7ca8lei.jpg

gidw4hchy7nh.jpg
    tthhd5oapyzp.jpg
    n79mole5emtn.jpg
    334395zg9hm5.jpg

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Tigliss wrote: »

I haven't painted a mini since I was in junior high, but it is unseasonably nice outside and I've got a whole bunch of new mechs that need to be painted.

So join me on this journey of figuring out how to make sweat and pigment look like something that I intended it to.

I'm hoping to get these guys to table top quality and maybe pick up some neat things along the way: dry brushing, washes, cockpit jeweling, basing, etc.
    Outdoor workshop:
    Paint stick and some sticky tack to hold them on (only one fell off)
    Using some matte Black and White primer

soiibJK.png

Everybody is primed with the 1st coat. I think I did pretty well, only a couple spots I felt like got a little much, but after it dried I couldn't really tell. I can't believe how sharp they look from base plastic to primed.

o3JKOlO.png

Added the zenithal highlight to all the black primed mechs. Not sure if I love it, but it pulls the details out even further. The single color prime and highlighted prime feels the same to touch. So lets call that a win for now.

w60Gzp6.png

My first victim - because seriously does anyone like the Grendel?

qfFVTWO.png

Overall, it felt like I took way too long to take that first step and actually put some primer to some minis.

The adventure continues...
    Starting at the primed coat:
    YlHw5mD.png

Went to the local hobby shop and they were pretty picked clean so only had limited colors to pick from. Got the basics and tried to mix my own colors.
    The base coat (1 part saddle brown + 1 part light yellow + 2 parts white) is not nearly this pink looking when I put it on. Looking at the pictures, looks like the hand got a little gloppy, and I missed some spots.
    KWHTjSS.png

The blue base was just medium blue.
    6LtVV2p.png

Then picked out some details that should be more set out - the hand, cannon and jump jet ports. Note to self, go actually buy some grey, this was some unholy mix of brown, blue, yellow and white.
    mvqtUYV.png

There was no available wash at the store, but the internet says 1 part black + 3 parts water + 3 parts isopropyl = a wash. Like all Oosik endeavors, alcohol is involved.
    pvbDLkr.png

Washes are magic!
    3X44l9b.png

Dry brushing - took the base paints and added a drop or 2 of white. Lower right leg, I must not have dried it off enough and ended up just painting, but still looks good.
    7KvCHhg.png

End(ish) product:
    v690n6k.png

Super excited how this ended up! Darkened up the barrel and missile ports. Though flew too close to the sun on those laser lenses and will have to clean that up. The cockpit is way cooler looking than I expected and literally is just the base blue and then the wash, I wish I went green on it, just to add some more interest.

Finished up the rest of the star. Looks good enough to play some table top with, but man does taking photos really show where I can improve with the next batch. Any tricks/tutorials that are good for painting the missile tips (see the middle one)?

VwdsPAeh.png

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Maybe paint everything the color you want for the missiles, then use a few layers of wash so it flows onto the backplate?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    So I think this week I'm gonna try to finish painting my nightbringer and then paint my void dragon. I need to test it first but I think I'm gonna paint the void dragon with the holographic colorshift paint from green stuff world and then from beneath the model I'm gonna spray some evil forest for a red/green colorshift.

Since there are pieces of Necron structure on the model I also need to finally figure out how I want to paint my Necron buildings.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I know I make fun of the fact I thought for years necron armor was a gradient of greens using wash
    It was the warhammer tv video that showed it otherwise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAPbWbglps
    Just it's quite annoying that I could not get black primer for most of the year

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    @Tigliss
    I think your best bet is to get a small, round-tip brush. Load it lightly on the tip with some paint that's not overly thin, and just dab it onto the points of the missiles. You could also try doing it with a small fine-tip brush, and then very carefully paint around the circumference of the tip. Or just dab the ends lightly. It's very easy to overdo it, so just go slow and be careful.

Controversial take: Missile tips on models, especially Battletech models, are fucking stupid and I hate them so much. Missile barrels and doors for life!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Been working on some Zone Mortalis/Sector Mechanicus terrain in between projects. There's just so much of it...

O8JlOAF.jpg

Hopefully they stock the tiles again someday.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2020
    How are you getting that rusty color?

Vanguard on
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    How are you getting that rusty color?

Just primed black, then a heavy drybrush of Mournfang brown and Troll Slayer Orange. Light drybrush with Leadbelcher and then Screaming Skull for the final 'dusting'. It's pretty fast, going back and painting any metal pipes, lights, and sponging the colour panels is the only part that takes a bit.

For the walkways vs the walls I've been putting down grey first but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference once it's all rusted up. If I can find the floor tiles ever I'll have to make sure not to overdo it on the rust.

• Options
    Man this thread is on fire. I should paint some of my Battle tech as well ...

Anyway, ARC Troopers done, just got one more unit of phase 2s and Fives and Echo to do.

Grand Army of the Republic getting pretty grand

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Man this thread is on fire. I should paint some of my Battle tech as well ...

Anyway, ARC Troopers done, just got one more unit of phase 2s and Fives and Echo to do.

Grand Army of the Republic getting pretty grand

Just needs some sort of Chancellor with temporary war powers to direct them.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I'm sure that that would be a very good idea and nothing bad could possibly happen.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    00pfqdivk19j.png

Couple of Word Bearers I've painted up. I'd love to do a full bald bros squad, but I don't have the bits yet.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's been a few months, but a painting contest with a deadline is getting me to take another crack at it. This time with a store-selected pre-primed mini...

... That is a pain in the ASS to work with.

After initially fucking up and making a matte wash, I basically started over and tried to get down my first layer of basecoat as well as I could. Getting in all the crevices was a pain, and there were so many small points that the paint didn't apply to. I also feel like I used way too much paint? Like 3-4 drops...

It's a start. I have some color change paint for the wings. Most of the entrants so far have gone with a blue/purple look. There's lots of drybrush detail if I can maintain it, that would be fun for having some kind of eerie glow inside it.

yVR43aAh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Been a while since I've posted here, so thought I'd throw up a photo of one of my current projects. Currently working on an old Spellweaver model to use as a Ynnari Farseer:

unknown.png

Her torso, metal bits and skin still need work but I'm pretty happy already with her hair, cape and fire.

• Options
    Yeah that's super rad! I tried doing a similar thing with my High Elves back in the day, but I think you're nailing it far better than I ever got close to. The Fire looks really good!

I've continued my Clone Rampage with 2 AT-RTs and their ARF riders and another squad of Phase IIs
    CmRs7ip.jpg?1
    7BQdgnU.jpg
    Very happy with how the dedicated 501st turned out. This sesh was about 4 hours, started the AT-RTs from primer and the Phase 2s from half done. My Grand Army of the Republic is now complete ... except for the Phase 1 Upgrade pack which is very much unobtainium right now. I'll try to get a group shot when I play a game on Sunday.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The RT looks rad. Can you give a rundown on how you painted the black and blue armour?

• Options
    Cheers!
    Its pretty basic. Primed it black, airbrushed dark grey all over, airbrush highlight with a light blue grey, then drybrushed it very lightly grey seer. The blue is super cheaty. 5050 mix of Talassar Blue and Ultramarines blue over the top in a couple of thin layers, basically glazing it over to keep the gradient I did with the grey.
    Then liberally fuck it up with sponge weathering (grey seer), add some dust and dirt in recesses if you're feeling fancy.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Would you guys accept this as “looters raiding a locked up crate pegged it because Titan?” It’s going to be the base for my next Warlord:
    65qzwe5173as.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    For the warhounds I have I want to do a jungle base but getting Z scale trees has been a pain during the pandemic yet another annoyance

• Options
    So Maul and the Arc Troopers seem ( of course ) to have been delayed. However I managed to snag Rex and paint him up. Legion bandwagon goooooo.

B1S3mQa.jpg

M5n1LjS.jpg

and as a birthday gift, I got this today from my other half! It is devine. I have no idea how to approach painting it.

y6InBAv.png