As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    144hz really depends on the content. The one thing that made 60hz feel unbearable was playing Thumper.

I played for about 2 hours on my 144hz screen, and then I don't know what happened that it switched to 60hz and it felt like it was running at 30fps for me, it was incredibly jarring. Another game that can have this effect is Rocket League. It's mostly fast paced games with a lot of quick camera swings.

Of course, that only happens if you've been specifically playing a game at high framerate for a long period and then immediately switch to the lower framerate. If you stop playing and then comeback, 60 looks just as good as always.

Satsumomo on
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Depends on the game for me as to whether I care. Given a choice, with little fidelity loss, I'll always prefer 60+...but there are games I care less and will accept 30 if it's smooth. Demon's Souls is a game I will definitely give up some visual fidelity for 60 no question. Spider-Man? I'll take the visual fidelity because it does look incredible.

I can always tell the difference though. It's jarring and obvious to me, especially if I go from 60 to 30 very quickly. 30 will feel like swimming in molasses. I agree with what others are saying about smoothness of the frame rate as well. I can handle 30, but jumpy or unsmooth 30 will drive me nuts. I think Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made, but it's inconsistent frame pacing and barely locked 30 on PS4 Pro/PS5 (it couldn't hold 30 on the OG PS4) are jarring and a big reason I haven't done another playthrough in a while.

Could you imagine a 4k Bloodborne remaster at 60 frames? Is such a thing too good for this world?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Depends on the game for me as to whether I care. Given a choice, with little fidelity loss, I'll always prefer 60+...but there are games I care less and will accept 30 if it's smooth. Demon's Souls is a game I will definitely give up some visual fidelity for 60 no question. Spider-Man? I'll take the visual fidelity because it does look incredible.

I can always tell the difference though. It's jarring and obvious to me, especially if I go from 60 to 30 very quickly. 30 will feel like swimming in molasses. I agree with what others are saying about smoothness of the frame rate as well. I can handle 30, but jumpy or unsmooth 30 will drive me nuts. I think Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made, but it's inconsistent frame pacing and barely locked 30 on PS4 Pro/PS5 (it couldn't hold 30 on the OG PS4) are jarring and a big reason I haven't done another playthrough in a while.

Could you imagine a 4k Bloodborne remaster at 60 frames? Is such a thing too good for this world?

Maybe I would actually beat the game

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Bloodborne is the only souls game that I feel you could watch a "lets play" of and still get a really good experience out of it. It's such a masterpiece.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

Bloodborne is the only souls game that I feel you could watch a "lets play" of and still get a really good experience out of it. It's such a masterpiece.

Maybe the only one where it can be fun to watch someone of average ability take it on.

Souls games in general can be entertaining to watch someone play, when they’re either really bad at it or freakishly good at it.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I can take it to the Souls thread if it will get too deep, but Demon's is my first and only Souls game. Now I've got Bloodborne with the PS+ catalogue, is that an OK next game to play, or is there something I'm missing in between?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I can take it to the Souls thread if it will get too deep, but Demon's is my first and only Souls game. Now I've got Bloodborne with the PS+ catalogue, is that an OK next game to play, or is there something I'm missing in between?

They aren't connected in anyway so you can go right into bloodborne. Bloodborne is a lot more aggressive and fast with the combat.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Dark Souls: Remastered is also 50% off right now and is "closer" to Demon's Souls gameplay-wise. Bloodborne is a pretty significant change from the gameplay of Demon's Souls and you'll probably be thrown off a bit if you go straight from one to the other, but with that being said the game is absolutely worth it. The story isn't related at all so no concerns there.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Reading articles about some individual scalpers having bigger ps5 inventories than actual retailers. Which is just disgusting

Prohass on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I saw some dude on NowInStock bragging about he's already made 26K selling PS5's on eBay.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Reading articles about some individual scalpers having bigger ps5 inventories than actual retailers. Which is just disgusting

I read Bloomberg article that said that one group has over three thousand of them.

In (slightly.. depending on your confidence levels) better news, Sony has announced that they'll be getting more stock out to retailers by the end of the year:

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

We can only fly so close to the sun without singeing off our wings.

e: The rumors that Bluepoints next thing is a Bloodborne remaster have intensified steadily over the weeks. Still very much mountain of salt territory, but we can dream.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    In (slightly.. depending on your confidence levels) better news, Sony has announced that they'll be getting more stock out to scalpers by the end of the year
    figured i'd fix this up for ya

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I place the blame entirely on eBay and Amazon for not doing a single thing to reduce the practice. And mainly Amazon for double dipping, getting the retail sale to the scalper, then a percentage of the scalpers sale when they resell it on their platform, fucking gross

And yeah I feel like it’s great that more PlayStations are coming, but nobody really knows how long the demand will keep scalpers involved, and if it stays bigger than supply scalpers will just keep gumming up the works for months

All we can hope is that the fever breaks around Christmas and there’s less rich people willing to buy consoles with inflated prices in order to make sure it’s under the Christmas tree by Christmas morning

Prohass on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Maybe the scalpers will do their own Black Friday sale.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

We can only fly so close to the sun without singing off our wings.

e: The rumors that Bluepoints next thing is a Bloodborne remaster have intensified steadily over the weeks. Still very much mountain of salt territory, but we can dream.
    Too damn late, Sony.

I'm already playing it! Waited years already.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Maybe the scalpers will do their own Black Friday sale.
    By charging an extra 20%.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Queue is up on Playstation Direct but people getting through are saying it shows out of stock. Wonder what that's about?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Don’t forget to place some of the blame on those who are paying the king’s ransom demanded by these scalpers.

The overgrown child who sees that someone else has a shiny toy and wants, nay, needs to have it right this second, damn the expense.

The weak-willed parent who can’t face Christmas morning with the knowledge that their volatile progeny will throw the mother of all tantrums when merely an IOU and a groveling, sniveling apology is under the tree, instead of a new expensive videogame system to go with all the other ones.

The YouTuber who curses cruel fate that denies them the new systems to unbox for some views and subs, or to stream new games on. Which will surely get them out of their day job quicker than just being engaging while playing retro games, Among Us, or some random game off Steam.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    Well it was "my turn" on the Playstation Direct queue for like 30 minutes. Finally let me in just now and yup, out of stock.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck. They go five days with no queue at all then do one not at the top of the hour?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Walmart Botmart will have stock at 9PM ET. I look forward to OH DEER.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Walmart Botmart will have stock at 9PM ET. I look forward to OH DEER.

I mean, I'm going to try. I got nothing else but to make an attempt.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

We can only fly so close to the sun without singeing off our wings.

Bloodborne does not need a Bluepoint remaster. Or even a texture remaster. Just a patch to 60fps and upscaling to 4k is all it needs. Just patching to 60fps would actually involve a lot of work, apparently much of the game breaks if you just up the framerate to 60fps so they'd have to individually fix a lot of it. It's not old enough to justify a bluepoint remaster.

Especially given how so much of that games appeal is its utterly fantastic art style and Bluepoints somewhat questionable artistic aesthetic choices in both SotC and Demon Souls (particularly npcs and enemy redesigns in Demon Souls) leave me just not wanting them to go near it, thanks. Not if it comes at the cost of the original game getting a real 60fps patch with everything else left intact.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    One of the streamers I follow who is otherwise a stand-up person genuinely fighting the good fight (black advocacy, diversity in gaming representation on multiple industry levels) tweeted out that she didn't think scalping was a problem because people weren't fighting access to an essential product and that we shouldn't assume things because maybe people hustling were just trying to make ends meet and I was so flabbergasted by how fucking stupid that sounded it's the closest I've ever been to unfollowing anyone on the spot

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    One of the streamers I follow who is otherwise a stand-up person genuinely fighting the good fight (black advocacy, diversity in gaming representation on multiple industry levels) tweeted out that she didn't think scalping was a problem because people weren't fighting access to an essential product and that we shouldn't assume things because maybe people hustling were just trying to make ends meet and I was so flabbergasted by how fucking stupid that sounded it's the closest I've ever been to unfollowing anyone on the spot

Look maybe they have no choice but to profit by stealing joy and happiness from people in an already shitty year

You don’t know that they don’t need to!

The scalpers could basically be street urchins stealing from fruit stands to feed their starving children! In fact, they probably are!

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I just got a HotStock alert for Playstation Direct and the queue is up...again? Not sure if this is just the same from earlier.

I wonder if Walmart has done anything to fortify its website since the last drops brought it to its knees? Probably not, but one can hope.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    kaceyp wrote: »
    I just got a HotStock alert for Playstation Direct and the queue is up...again? Not sure if this is just the same from earlier.

Yeah it is back up. They updated the message a couple a minutes ago on the queue.

That's pretty annoying that I already went through the whole queue like an hour ago only for it to be out of stock... and then they put up stock? Now I'm back in queue with "more than an hour" ... yeah this ain't happening. What a troll move, Sony.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand out of stock.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Managed to have lightning strike twice, first with my successful preorder from Target back in September, and now snagged one from the latest ps direct drop for Christmas for my brother in law. I can finally stop banging my head in to this.

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Walmart's site is already crashing

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    Already gone.

Bots feasting.

That was literally insane, and it seems like they didn't even HAVE digital only editions.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Yeah I was on the digital one and it went straight to out of stock, there's no possible way someone could have completed an order that fast.

I actually saw the add to cart button for a second.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Walmart's site is already crashing

1 minute after and it was already out of stock. Wooo

It went directly to out of stock at 9 PM on the dot. Amazing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Walmart also wiped them from my cart. I had refreshed earlier today, and they had been in my cart all week from the last drop.