As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Something I completely missed the first time around in those videos is the world transition. Remember how the PS4 version always has a vent crawl or cutaway in order to load those interior areas? Looks like, at least on the way out, those load sequences are completely gone. Miles blasts right out of that building into the open world area of the game, zero transition and zero load time. So much better now.

Losing those "stop moving so fast so we can load stuff" crawls from the PS4 era was basically my biggest personal wish for the next gen, so glad to see that stuff finally disappearing.

That is gonna depend on the individual game, I think. Some games are not going to be optimized well enough to avoid loading tunnels, and I'm sure they'll come back as people try to push what the PS5 can do. But it's nice to see a lack of loading tunnels where we can get them.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

That sentai inspired suit is great, but c'mon where the actual japanese spider-man??

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I want to get the other Spiderverse characters in there. Spider-Gwen and Noir, at least.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Now I've looked at all the outfits in Miles.

Daaaaaammmnnn they are awesome.

There are more that I legit am into than in the original. I already have a pathway through like 4 different outfits I will wear in the game.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I was ready to wait on this until I got my hands on a PS5, but man, I may just need to play it on the PS4.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I was ready to wait on this until I got my hands on a PS5, but man, I may just need to play it on the PS4.

My roommate got a PS5 but he plans to gift it to someone else. We're both extremely tempted to bust it open for Miles alone, and gingerly return it to the box.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    "I made sure it was updated for you" is a perfectly good excuse.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That's like the top thing they say for "gamer gift guides" that show up around the holidays, esp for parents buying stuff for kids.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Super impressed with MM, they do a great job of communicating that he's less controlled in his swinging and almost in danger so it's kind of... thrilling to pull things off still

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yep, finished the story today and loved it. Still plenty of side stuff to do.

McFodder on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I'm going into this game completely blind since I skipped PS4 gen and holy hell the movement mechanics are just an absolute joy. I've been wanting something like this since all the way back to Spiderman 2 on the PS2. The way your webs actually attach to buildings and grapple points in ways that affect your momentum instead of just randomly attaching to the sky off camera is just *chef's kiss*. I frequently end up outside of the mission zone because I'm having way too much fun webslinging around to actually play the game.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    I love finding mooks on rooftops

Hey guys, I just volunteered you for web bungie jumping!

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Are the villains interesting/better written this time?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Are the villains interesting/better written this time?

Nah, the cops are still painted in a positive light

• Options
    Big oof :bigfrown:

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    They successfully avoided having Miles work too closely with the cops at any point. In the plot you just have a few moments where they get in the way. They also reframed his father as having joined the force to "change things from the inside".

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, the cops are just kinda there. I wouldn't say they are positive or negative (although the bar for this is "not actively murdering civilians in extra-judicial killings", so... it's pretty low). Sometimes they engage in shootouts when they arrive at Underground gang attacks, but this is completely ineffectual... I farmed out 5 Perfect Dodges with a single Underground gunman left, while two cops were standing next to their car shooting (from about 20m away) at that one ganger. I had to ping the gang member with a web every now and then to get aggro from them so I can dodge the shots, but neither the cops nor the ganger were doing damage to each other. Mostly, they seem to arrive after the fact, and that's your cue to "move onto the next side mission" or whatever. There's one mission where you stealth around some cops investigating a scene, but if you get caught, they just throw you out, and it's like loading a checkpoint.

The rogues gallery of Miles Morales is smaller than the previous game, although you get to spend a lot more time with a few of them through the story. I think even Rhino has slightly more character development, heh. The best return villain is:
    The hologram Vulture fight. :D That was pretty hilarious.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I really appreciated that with the Tinkerer

Earlish spoilers but still big.
    They didn't try to play the reveal of who it is, since I guessed almost immediately.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    I really appreciated that with the Tinkerer

Earlish spoilers but still big.
    They didn't try to play the reveal of who it is, since I guessed almost immediately.
    I mean,
    The original Tinkerer was named Phineas Mason, so it was pretty obvious from the jump. But The Tinkerer is not the most well-known Spider-Man villain (although he has appeared in many prior Spider-Man video games). Still, it's a great update to the character with a more modern aesthetic, since the original Tinker was... well, an old white dude.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Also that early sequence where they first release you into the open world for swinging and the trailer song drops is just top notch

• Options
    https://youtu.be/C0RVcuwR8IM

A fairly easy platinum to get, overall. A New Game+ blitz of the campaign is fairly quick.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I would not allow someone to repeatedly take my cat into active crime scenes, I don't care whether he saved Harlem or not.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    I would not allow someone to repeatedly take my cat into active crime scenes, I don't care whether he saved Harlem or not.

My current cat is a very chill slab of muscle, so I think it'd work out as long as he had appropriate snacks

My previous cat would basically be all Venom: Lethal Protector and it seems rude to let a ninja murderball ride around with a superhero, especially one who faces so many animal themed villains. Clearly only viable with the Superior Spider-Man

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Played up to the big bridge setpiece.
    I appreciate that the writers realized how obvious it was that Phin was the Tinkerer, and revealed her identity almost immediately.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Playing some Remastered, is anyone else getting a glitch where you keep having the 'all towers fixed' conversation with Yuri? I seem to be getting it every time it reloads the main world from any sub area (the lab, FEAST, etc).

• Options
    I'm rally dissapoint by how many glitches there are on the PS4 version of Miles. Clearly it wasn't given that much attention.

Great game still. I just got to the point of no return, so I'm cleaning up all the side activities, because I really don't want the game to end yet.

• Options
    I'm rally dissapoint by how many glitches there are on the PS4 version of Miles. Clearly it wasn't given that much attention.

Great game still. I just got to the point of no return, so I'm cleaning up all the side activities, because I really don't want the game to end yet.
    There's some content after the end of the campaign (not including New Game+), and you will get to do all of those activities afterwards, too.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it's really 'last chance to get new stuff before the toughest fight'.

I gotta say, I also really enjoyed rolling through the story again on NG+. Tempted to do that on the remaster now that I can carry across my PS4 save.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I'm playing through Spider-Man (Remastered) for the first time on PS5. I finished "And the Award Goes to" and I'm kind of confused about a main story thing
    So after the city hall bombing we get the official reveal that Martin Li seems to be running the Demons (which was entirely predictable after that conversation about the masks). As far as I could tell this was only revealed because we (as the player and maybe Miles?) see him. And I guess it was him on the phone with Osborn? Peter is unconscious the whole time the Demons are there as far as we know.

But then after the gameplay picks back up Peter is talking to I think Yuri and MJ both about tracking down Li, and I don't understand how or when he found out Li was involved. He also seems to have had zero reaction to finding out that this guy he admired, that both he and May work with, is apparently a criminal mastermind. Did I miss something? Because it seems like that whole reveal was super glossed over.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Game does that a few times. It's not great about it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Some people really enjoyed the story, but I thought it was incoherent and disappointing. Amazing game play though

Spectacular even
    Web of

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Oh well that's disappointing. I feel like I'd seen a bunch of talk on the forums about it having such a great story.

I'm still enjoying it mind you, but that's an almost bizarrely large plot hole.

• Options
    You can tell they rewrote some stuff and rearranged certain set pieces.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    IIRC one of the trailers featured that character in the helicopter battle and it might've served as his big reveal moment, but he got replaced with a rando goon in the finished game.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Speaking of the helicopter
    I had to try maybe 3 times to keep the helicopter from crashing, and afterwards all I could think was "Peter why the hell did you purposely crash this helicopter in the middle of a crowded city ANYWAY"

and then JJJ did a broadcast saying basically the same thing and it's like uggghhh don't make me agree with Jameson

• Options
    IIRC one of the trailers featured that character in the helicopter battle and it might've served as his big reveal moment, but he got replaced with a rando goon in the finished game.
    Yeah, I've never understood why they changed that scene. It feels like the rest of it was still written as though it happened.
    Swapping them so the E3 trailer had Generic Brute and the game had the Villain would have made much more sense.
    You can still explain it as Peter seeing Li right before the bombing (he does show up in Peter's POV moment as he's trying to push through the crowd, though he could then have given an actual witness statement as Peter, so the Police could have done something), and the immediate reaction could have been covered during his recovering from the bombing, as we skip like a week or so to Jeff's funeral.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Alright i just finished MM in new game+ but the trophy didn't drop. I got the platinum though, weirdly. I just did the story stuff in ng+. Was i supposed to beat all the side stuff too in ng+?

• Options
    I didn't, just went through the story missions (and a few side ones that were in my way). Showing that both 'Plus Plus' and the platinum popped at the same time too.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Oh well that's disappointing. I feel like I'd seen a bunch of talk on the forums about it having such a great story.

I'm still enjoying it mind you, but that's an almost bizarrely large plot hole.

Overall, it does have a great story. One of the best Spider-Man stories in a while. Try to let the occasional plot hole go and just enjoy the story for what it is.