As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I got one from Walmart! I did local pick up and it went right through! Happy day! :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What. How.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    I'm surprised with how few that Amazon seemed to have had through this entire experience.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited November 2020
    What. How.

I don't honestly know. I had it waiting in my cart from the last time they had them that I missed. The instant they went on sale I went through and set it up for store pickup and it just happened to go right through without an issue. I was both surprised and excited all the once.

Bite me scalpers!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    What. How.

I don't honestly know. I had it waiting in my cart from the last time they had them that I missed. The instant they went on sale I went through and set it up for store pickup and it just happened to go right through without an issue. I was both surprised and excited all the once.

Bite me scalpers!

Oh gotcha. That makes more sense.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Less than ten seconds for Wal-Mart's entire stock to get snapped up by bots. This is also after the Playstation Direct store booted me out of the store and back into line about ten minutes before it put new consoles up, so this PS5 thing has fucked me over twice today.

Fuck retailers for letting this shit happen, and fuck Sony for not putting their foot down to force retailers to have some working anti-bot measures. Fair chance I'm gonna skip this shit entirely and just build that new PC I've been wanting, because fuck this bullshit. Is it really that impossible to set up a reservation system of some kind? Oh right, then inventory might go to actual customers instead of instantly disappearing into scalper garages.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Uhhh. I just now refreshed the Walmart page a couple times and the add to cart button reappeared and I ordered one for store pickup?

Try that I guess?

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Same here, except every time I clicked "add to cart" it errored out and now it's out of stock again.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited November 2020
    I had to do store pick up and they just sent me an email saying they’d let me know when it is ready.

I 100% do not believe them though and will await my order cancellation email.

Librarian's ghost on

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hahaha, and now the fucking Wal-Mart site wants me to solve captchas to even look at the page. This is fucking priceless, particularly since the captchas are broken and stuck in an endless loop of asking for confirmation.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Well I'm happy for the folks who were able to get one, less stock for scalpers warms the cockles of my heart. Just wish I could get one myself, seems to be an element of luck to it for sure.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Well I'm happy for the folks who were able to get one, less stock for scalpers warms the cockles of my heart. Just wish I could get one myself, seems to be an element of luck to it for sure.

Keep refreshing. I am hearing people getting the add to cart button still showing up and letting them buy it.

Mine says it will be ready for pickup on December 3rd. Plenty of time for them to cancel it!

Got as far as the "Submit Order" button and then.... site crashed, out of stock.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I had to do store pick up and they just sent me an email saying they’d let me know when it is ready.

I 100% do not believe them though and will await my order cancellation email.

Positive thoughts!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    they should just sell the damn things directly to the scalpers. or maybe give everyone a link to the bot tools so ordinary people can have their own bots

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    they should just sell the damn things directly to the scalpers. or maybe give everyone a link to the bot tools so ordinary people can have their own bots

Reality? Sony should just auction them off. If folks are paying more than retail then that money should go to Sony and not random folks willing to be jerks. The issue is Sony doesn't want to take the PR hit so they let all this happen. The console generations seem to be the perfect length of time for everybody to forget about this every cycle.

I'm sad they didn't really do what they head faked towards and give folks with active PSN accounts priority access. Hell, with the API's they could easily also loop in Xbox converts if they wanted to. It wouldn't be totally fair but it would cut down on scalpers. Well, until scalpers start making precautionary PSN accounts that play a round of Fortnite and then are ready for the next launch cycle.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Honestly, if there had been a link on the PS Store only accessible from an existing console, I'd probably own a PS5 already.

Although... maybe not. Knowing how Sony works, my US-based PSN account probably wouldn't allow for payment in AUD and almost certainly would be limited to shipping to a North American address.

26904.png
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So I platinumed Bugsnax.

That is certainly an ending. (In a good way)

Been saving Miles Morales for this Thanksgiving break. Enjoying it but I already had it hard lock my console, so that's a thing. Not even any resume shennigans or anything. Scripted event just made the console not take any inputs. Had to hold the power button on the console and force it off.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Whether or not this actually happened, here's some schadenfreude for your TL

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, Yakuza Kiwami 2 finished! That's a helluva game! As is tradition, I'll take like half a year to a year before playing Yakuza 3, cause you can't just play those games back to back. Kiwami 2 ended up being like 32 hours, doing all of the hostess stuff and Majima construction clan battle stuff and all the substories I could find. Didn't do the coliseum, though, because it's been pretty unfun in the past. Probably gonna be pretty jarring going from the Yakuza 6 engine Kiwami 2 to the first engine they made for PS3 over a decade ago.

As for what to play next, I could either try and pick back up on Persona 5 Royal (which was somewhere midway through the third semester, back when I was playing it during the summer) or start up Ghost of Tsushima. I really liked P5R, but I think I got burnt out on it. That game is legitimately too long. I don't care how good it is or how stylish it is, you're talking like 120+ hours for a relatively linear narrative game. It's honestly just too much.

Also, unrelated, I fixed that audio issue I was having. Apparently I had some sort of equalizer thing turned on on my receiver which was causing the audio delay. Much better now, syncs up perfectly with the controller. I should redownload Astrobot and see how it feels with the audio properly synced up.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Woo, Yakuza Kiwami 2 finished! That's a helluva game! As is tradition, I'll take like half a year to a year before playing Yakuza 3, cause you can't just play those games back to back. Kiwami 2 ended up being like 32 hours, doing all of the hostess stuff and Majima construction clan battle stuff and all the substories I could find. Didn't do the coliseum, though, because it's been pretty unfun in the past. Probably gonna be pretty jarring going from the Yakuza 6 engine Kiwami 2 to the first engine they made for PS3 over a decade ago.

It's the same engine as 0 and Kiwami, so it shouldn't be that jarring.

cckerberos.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020

Reality? Sony should just auction them off. If folks are paying more than retail then that money should go to Sony and not random folks willing to be jerks. The issue is Sony doesn't want to take the PR hit so they let all this happen. The console generations seem to be the perfect length of time for everybody to forget about this every cycle.

I'm sad they didn't really do what they head faked towards and give folks with active PSN accounts priority access. Hell, with the API's they could easily also loop in Xbox converts if they wanted to. It wouldn't be totally fair but it would cut down on scalpers. Well, until scalpers start making precautionary PSN accounts that play a round of Fortnite and then are ready for the next launch cycle.

This would be unfair to people like me who skipped a couple gens of playstations and xbox's and probably wouldn't even stop the scalpers, they'd just buy a bunch of old psn accounts and use those.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    The only way you can even slow down scalpers is to make it harder to market their resell, which is only possible if the main hosting sites agree to put a stop to it. But since it’s not technically against the rules of any of those sites, and they all love money, they will keep doing it.

What’s crazy to me is that a lot of these scalpers pay big money to rent the bots from subscription services, I had no idea. I’m sure it would be difficult but going after them would also be worth it even if it didn’t change anything because seriously fuck those guys

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The only way you can even slow down scalpers is to make it harder to market their resell, which is only possible if the main hosting sites agree to put a stop to it. But since it’s not technically against the rules of any of those sites, and they all love money, they will keep doing it.

What’s crazy to me is that a lot of these scalpers pay big money to rent the bots from subscription services, I had no idea. I’m sure it would be difficult but going after them would also be worth it even if it didn’t change anything because seriously fuck those guys

The big retailers WOULD LIKE to stop scalpers. When a scalper buys a PS5 (or 5 PS5's) that's all they buy, when an individual customer buys a PS5 they also buy accessories, games etc and that is a huge source of income for the retailers. The problem is that the only real way they can combat the scalpers rn is to implement sweeping, draconian methods that will likely cost them even more money than they lose to the scalpers.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    This isn't a 100% foolproof solution and wouldn't cover all interested purchasers - especially because it may not cover kids, families, or those looking to get into the ecosystem for the first time - but I have to say that an expansion of Sony's PlayStation Direct would go a long way towards ensuring that hardcore PS fans have way better odds to get a system for future launches. I was lucky enough to get an initial email from Sony, tied to my PSN ID, and I had no problems getting into the queue at an appointed time on an appointed day and grabbing a system. Not trying to boast and I know others are going nuts without success at other retailers right now. But my point is that tying launch console purchasing opportunities to PSN IDs is something that I hope we see expand to five times as widespread for the launch of the PS6. It was a nerve-wracking experience waiting through a queue, but it worked, and it's a system that theoretically circumvents the whole retailer-bot situation. (I know others have used this system with less success lately, because Sony keeps opening the queue and then not having enough units when people get to the front of the line. So it does need serious improvement. But the potential is there.)

Just needs to be much more supply, which... is maybe not realistic in a pandemic year, and also is maybe somewhat undesirable for Sony because it would reduce the frenzy that is being fueled by scarcity. But the bot thing's only going to get worse.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Eh, given that they sold more PS5s in its first 12 hours then they did PS4s in its first 12 weeks I think the supply was probably pretty good. Honestly, likely better than most console launches. The demand and scalpers are just too great.

Sony says there are no more until 2021 now. Though I do know my local GameStop will be selling 20 of each on Friday. I also know that they have been getting over 70 calls a day from people asking about it. I do not live in a city, but a small town. Friday will be a bloodbath.

edit- Ah yes, word on the street is that Sony did have more launch PS5s then they had for previous Gens.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Whether or not this actually happened, here's some schadenfreude for your TL

Did this robbery take like 10 hours? That seems like a lot of boxes to move for one guy while also keeping his gun/eye on the person being robbed.

Sus

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    As one of the comments said, is it really doxxing if his Twitter handle is just his real name?

This would be unfair to people like me who skipped a couple gens of playstations and xbox's and probably wouldn't even stop the scalpers, they'd just buy a bunch of old psn accounts and use those.

So I admitted it wouldn't be perfect but "a couple of gens"?!? You are talking 14 to 18 years between PSN and Xbox Live. That's not like light disengagement, it's a decade and a half!

I actually wonder if scalpers would have any luck buying up old PSN/Xbox accounts. They'd probably be better served just hacking the shit out of a bunch of them and even then I think it greatly increases the difficulty for them.

Really the strongest narrative of injustice would be the parents looking to purchase a system for their kids. I really wonder how the demographics of console purchases look like at this point.

They haven’t canceled my order yet. I should probably get some games but I’m worried I’ll jinx myself if I get them before the system.

They haven’t canceled my order yet. I should probably get some games but I’m worried I’ll jinx myself if I get them before the system.

Yeah I would wait, at least until you get a "Your order has shipped" alert.

I mean, they basically are.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Actually, Dark Souls games seem easier than Demon's Souls.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am playing as a Royal and spamming magic at the start of Gates of Boletaria until I get deeper in.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    So do I get up at 5AM tomorrow for a chance at Gamestop. Leaning towards no but I can't deny there is some thrill to the chase.

edited November 2020
    So do I get up at 5AM tomorrow for a chance at Gamestop. Leaning towards no but I can't deny there is some thrill to the chase.

I would say no, it's not worth it putting your health or the health of others at risk, but if you do go make sure you take every precaution available (mask gloves, try your best to socially distance etc).

Edit: you also have to weigh the risk, which is great, with the potential upside, which is a longshot. Most Gamestop's are allegedly not getting more than two units per store and your odds of getting one are not good. I'm sorry but that's just the reality of it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.

I say no waiting, live on the edge, you only live once!

:D

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    My local GameStop will have 20 of each and I've already had The Varus(tm) so I might make the trip. Buuut, I would have to get there pretty damn early, after Thanksgiving no less, and it is real fucking cold outside.

I personally don't want one, but I am trying to get it as a gift for someone else. Who I have already told they may need to wait until January.

Eh, maybe I will just sleep in.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Actually, Dark Souls games seem easier than Demon's Souls.

Only 3 bosses deep, but it's pretty simple so far.