As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Deals] Thread: Occasional Low Prices

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh right, Godfall. That one seemed to vanish off the hype radar pretty fast, didn't it? I'm curious how it actually turned out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh right, Godfall. That one seemed to vanish off the hype radar pretty fast, didn't it? I'm curious how it actually turned out.

If you wanna check out the plot-background for it, the developers tapped Destiny-lorehound My Name Is Byf to do a four-video series of it's setting before the game's release. For those that care about a game's story, it's probably not a bad idea to look at them and see if this is a game you wanna get mentally invested in.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

If you wanna check out the plot-background for it, the developers tapped Destiny-lorehound My Name Is Byf to do a four-video series of it's setting before the game's release. For those that care about a game's story, it's probably not a bad idea to look at them and see if this is a game you wanna get mentally invested in.

Is it like destiny, where none of the lore is in the actual game?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »

Is it like destiny, where none of the lore is in the actual game?

You know what's sad is that (back when I played, during launch) Destiny lore had that first-blush feel of being pretty fucking cool. Except they basically excised any content that could be considered explanatory, and as a consequence the game's universe felt "emptier" due to the glaring lack of any context other than as vague referents. It'd be one thing if they paid basic lip service to explaining the factions and the history of conflict, but it's like they went out of their way to not explain anything at all.

The best way I could describe it would be if someone took the Gene Wolfe approach to video game writing but swapped the untrustworthy narrator with an entirely silent one.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Looks like buy 2 get 1 free for select games is sticking around at Target for next week, according to the sneak peak of their ad.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Perhaps that explains why there are no sub-$100 Steam cards in their rack.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm seeing cheap PS Plus deals on Eneba and CDKeys.com. They look like grey-market reseller sites though. Anyone have any further knowledge or experience with either of them? I'm inclined against using them currently.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Amazon and Best Buy have some Nintendo first-party stuff on a rare sale:

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i've used cdkeys many times. they can sell for cheap because they pick up out of business stores inventory for pennies on the dollar. they will have "box" items and cut the serial/product key to sell online. they also do bulk sales so that allows them to do cheaper business.

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm seeing cheap PS Plus deals on Eneba and CDKeys.com. They look like grey-market reseller sites though. Anyone have any further knowledge or experience with either of them? I'm inclined against using them currently.

I bought a PS Plus code from Eneba the other day, I received it immediately and it worked fine. I saw someone mention their credit card flagged the transaction because they're located in Lithuania, but I had no issues using PayPal.

• Options
    based on a "leak" of the walmart black friday ad, nintendo first party titles are going to be 30 dollars US. 50% off is probably the lowest they'll go.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    based on a "leak" of the walmart black friday ad, nintendo first party titles are going to be 30 dollars US. 50% off is probably the lowest they'll go.

I'll believe that when I see it.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    There were $30 first party games last Black Friday, which I know for a fact because that's when I got my Switch and Mario Galaxy and Zelda were both $30

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I guess I would pay 30 bucks for that Mario Collection.

Trying to think of other console games I would want to get to make that buy 2 get 1 free deal worth it. I play on PC these days.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    There were $30 first party games last Black Friday, which I know for a fact because that's when I got my Switch and Mario Galaxy and Zelda were both $30

Yep. I got BOTW for $30 last year

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Weekly ads time, it's basically black friday edition:

Target Circle
    Nothing

Target
    Buy 2 get 1 free select video games

Best Buy
    Check their site nearly daily for new deals...
    As of Sunday morning (just a sampling, there are way more deals):

$49.99
    Animal Crossing New Horizons
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    Super Mario Party

$44.99
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    Zelda Breath of the Wild

$39.99
    Fifa 21
    Zelda Link's Awakening
    Mario Maker 2
    Pokemon Sword
    Pokemon Shield

$34.99
    Madden 21
    Super Mario U Deluxe
    Fire Emblem Three Houses
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Splatoon 2
    Mario Tennis Aces

$33.99
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1&2

$29.99
    Outer Worlds Switch
    Borderlands Collection Switch

$14.99
    Skyrim Special Edition
    GTAV
    Fallout 4 GOTY

$9.99
    Borderlands 3

nusu on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well I never went for three houses at 35 and now it’s about to be 30. Decided I just don’t have time for a new game yet with so many I already have and haven’t finished. But that is super freaking low

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Weekly ads time, a little early edition (Target posted their ad for next week, it's basically their black friday ad)

Target Circle
    Check back Sunday

Target
    $99.99 Steel Series all in 1 PC gaming accessory bundle

50% off
    Turtle Beach Stealth 300 headsets

$10 Select Power A Switch accessories

$15 off
    Select Gaming Subscriptions

$10 off
    Xbox Controllers

$10 gift card with purchase of MK8/Mario Party pack

(there are more games than are listed in the ad for each category)
    $39.99
    Crash 4
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Watchdogs Legion
    Luigis Mansion 3
    New Super Mario Deluxe U
    Splatoon 2
    Super Mario Maker 2
    Link's Awakening

$29.99
    Last of us 2
    Just Dance 2021
    Borderlands Collection switch
    Mario & Sonic Tokyo Olympics
    UFC4
    NHL 21
    PGA Tour 2k21
    Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
    Madden 21
    Fifa 21
    Avengers
    NBA 2k21

$24.99
    FF7 Remake
    THPS 1&2
    SW Squadrons
    LOL Remix
    Overcooked 2
    Sonic Mania/Sonic Team Racing combo pack
    Super Monkey Ball /Sonic Forces combo pack
    Jumanji the next level game
    Sims 4 Star Wars Bundle
    Forza Horizon 4
    Jedi Fallen Order
    Nascar Heat 5
    NFS Hot Pursuit remaster

$14.99
    Mario + Rabbids
    Aladdin/Lion King
    GTA5
    Saints Row 4 remastered
    Cobra Kai
    Minecraft Dungeons
    NFS Heat
    Fast & Furious
    Man Eater
    WWE Battlegrounds

$9.99
    God of War
    Lego Worlds
    Gran Turismo Sport
    Sonic Mania
    PvZ Battle for Neighborville
    Uncharted Lost Legacy

Best Buy
    See previously posted BF ad, as that starts on Sunday also

nusu on
  • Options
    Walmart has some good deals also, I'm just too lazy to type all of them up.

Gamestop's ad is out there also, but I'm also too lazy to type that up.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    nusu wrote: »
    Target
    $99.99 Steel Series all in 1 PC gaming accessory bundle

I am by no means an audiophile, but if someone is trying to sell you a keyboard, mouse, mousepad, and headphones with a built-in mic all for $100, those are not good headphones.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I know we like to hate on cheaper equipment but judging by what's in the box, I'd say that's a totally adequate set of headphones with a pretty ok mouse and keyboard. It's not going to light the world on fire, but it's fine for the vast majority of users out there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Walmart has. 299 bundle with mario kart for black friday (switch).

Is this a good deal or normal?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Same bundle as last year I think. But also, if it's in stock that's a good deal.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    I got my Switch on Thanksgiving 2018, two years ago, and it was the Switch plus download code for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's the same bundle this year, but it also includes three months of Switch Online. It's sort of a meager bundle for $300 for a nearly four year old machine, but hey, they could sell it at an increased price and still have trouble keeping them in stock.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Same bundle as last year I think. But also, if it's in stock that's a good deal.

It's a good deal because it's in stock not necessarily a good deal on its own is what you're saying?

Me and the gf want a switch, we love mario kart, if there was a real deal we'd junk on it. I'd have to buy a.$80.pair of joykons to go with it to play two players right?

I want one.... But it's just for mario kart and mario party.

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    You can play 2-player Mario Kart with just the two Joy-Con that come with the Switch, no need to buy any other controllers. My girlfriend and I play Mario Kart with each of us just using one Joy-Con.

Edit: My girlfriend bought her own Switch just for Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D All-Stars. I own seven games for my Switch, and four of them have "Mario" in the title. I'm perfectly ok with paying the entry fee for having a machine that plays Mario games.

ouchies on
  • Options
    target has the nintendo online family pass for 20 instead of 35. It gives you cloud saves (with some exclusions), the nintendo online games (nes and snes).

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    ouchies wrote: »
    I got my Switch on Thanksgiving 2018, two years ago, and it was the Switch plus download code for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's the same bundle this year, but it also includes three months of Switch Online. It's sort of a meager bundle for $300 for a nearly four year old machine, but hey, they could sell it at an increased price and still have trouble keeping them in stock.
    One distinction though: I believe this bundle includes the improved battery life Switch now.

Anyway, Switches have been harder to get this year. This summer I was watching sites for a regular one for my nephew’s birthday and it took a while to find one in stock.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Switch Lites seem to be available. :P

But yeah, I also seem to have been incepted to think a Switch would be good for the family. Switch w/ Mario Kart + 2nd Joy-Con + Smash seems like it would be fun for the four of us.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    3rd party controllers go on sale regularly and you can get used Joycons for a good price with a little work. But, yes, you can use the 2 joycons that come with the switch.

• Options
    target has the nintendo online family pass for 20 instead of 35. It gives you cloud saves (with some exclusions), the nintendo online games (nes and snes).

I can't find the Family pass anywhere on the website, just the individual pass (which is always $20), is this a physical store only thing?

• Options

I can't find the Family pass anywhere on the website, just the individual pass (which is always $20), is this a physical store only thing?

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-online-family-membership-12-month-digital/-/A-54259091

• Options

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-online-family-membership-12-month-digital/-/A-54259091

Either my browser doesn't like the Target website, or there's no way to actually add that to your cart to buy it.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Maybe it's sold out? Could swear there was a button there earlier

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    probably sold out. amazon price matched it and that got sold out well. this link takes you to the page but i think it will show the single plan, not family (there's a button to toggle). check for restocks!
    https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Online-Family-Membership/dp/B07KY69YFM/

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Target put up their marginally-cheaper-than-elsewhere $20 for 3 month of gamepass ultimate deal: https://www.target.com/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-3-month-xbox-one-digital/-/A-76626995

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Target put up their marginally-cheaper-than-elsewhere $20 for 3 month of gamepass ultimate deal: https://www.target.com/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-3-month-xbox-one-digital/-/A-76626995

Note that you can buy up to 3. Coupled with getting the deal at other places like Best Buy, you're going to be set for a while either for yourself or as a gift to someone else.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Note that you can buy up to 3. Coupled with getting the deal at other places like Best Buy, you're going to be set for a while either for yourself or as a gift to someone else.

Not sure if it will deliver yet or not, but after I purchased it did let me add another 3 on Target’s app.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

You can buy 3 units more than one time, lol. So I bought 6. I considered getting more, but maybe there'll be a good deal in all that time, so 6 3 monthers was enough.