As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    s8dn6z1jje7c.jpg

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    whas that? next xpac stuff?

X22wmuF.jpg
    Probably, yes

Guessing fall 2021 release

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    a tidbit dropped quickly toward the end of the live letter:

if you've done all four shadowbringers role quest storylines, and the fifth storyline that follows, 5.4 will add another quest to that story... provided you have also finished the warring triad back in heavensward

if you've done all four shadowbringers role quest storylines, and the fifth storyline that follows, 5.4 will add another quest to that story... provided you have also finished the warring triad back in heavensward
    they finally remembered elidibus has a son huh

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

motherfucker i guess i gotta level a tank and healer

EzUAYcn.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Lalafell

Almost certainly that's what's going on. The fifth role quest is about Cyella, who is another refugee from the Thirteenth. I'm certain this quest is going to involve the two of them possibly sharing a past.

So, some thoughts on Eden stuff, based on that trailer:
    That was deinitely a version of Bahamut we saw as a boss there. Bahamut, of course, has connections to the Source, but I think that was an Eden boss. We've brought some strength back to the six elements in the Empty, lifting them out of the oppressive Light aspect out there. The reason we might end up summoning Bahamut with Eden would be to give the elements one extra shot of Dark energy. Bahamut's Calamity was one of Darkness, characterized by extreme elemental activity (as opposed to the stillness from a Light calamity). Bahamut is the strongest candidate from our memory to be an Eden Primal of Darkness. Also, they previously said that the trailer would show two Eden fights, but leave the other two a mystery. This is one of the only two fights shown in the trailer that I think are likely.

The echoey voice towards the end of the trailer, I'm almost certain, is not related to the MSQ, even though it initially plays over a scene of G'raha Tia. I think it's battle lines from another Eden fight. Specifically, I think they're from a possessed Gaia, or the FFXIV version of Ultimecia from FFVIII. The being that possessed Gaia and appeared as the Icon of Darkness has yet to be fully explained. Gaia has had moments that reference Ultimecia (some of her lines about the passage of time are direct rips from FFVIII's final boss fight), her time-based magic is thematically appropriate for the Sorceress, and the concept of an Oracle of Darkness falls in fairly well with the idea of Ultimecia possessing Sorceresses from across time. Because, if the Oracle of Light was Minfilia possessing a series of girls and using the power of Hydaelyn through them, then an Oracle of Darkness would be someone possessed by a being close to Zodiark. The lines we heard also line up fairly well, and I can see where they'd fit in the boss fight the trailer was hinting at.

"I shall draw your memories from you!": Drawing is FFVIII's main magic system mechanic, and Ultimecia uses it to take Squall's imagination of a powerful Guardian Force (summon) to use herself. Given that this whole Eden thing has been about us using our memories to summon Primals, it would be fitting to have one of the last bosses spin that back around on us and summon primals from our memory. You can even see how this might work in the trailer; Gaia is in the center of a room with screens showing each of the Primals we've summoned so far. I think a boss fight will have Ultimecia tether to those screens and junction different Primals to herself.
    "Your time draws near!": More time references; a possessed Gaia fight would have her use Spell In Waiting again.
    "Farewell, servant of light!": The Oracle of Darkness identity opposes us or perhaps Ryne specifically. Gaia had a lot to say about Light during her fight as the Voidwalker.

Enlong on
    Roegadyn
    crwth wrote: »

motherfucker i guess i gotta level a tank and healer

the role quest for healers has the best npc in the whole game

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Further proof that Lalas rule

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Enlong wrote: »

Almost certainly that's what's going on. The fifth role quest is about Cyella, who is another refugee from the Thirteenth. I'm certain this quest is going to involve the two of them possibly sharing a past.

So, some thoughts on Eden stuff, based on that trailer:
    That was deinitely a version of Bahamut we saw as a boss there. Bahamut, of course, has connections to the Source, but I think that was an Eden boss. We've brought some strength back to the six elements in the Empty, lifting them out of the oppressive Light aspect out there. The reason we might end up summoning Bahamut with Eden would be to give the elements one extra shot of Dark energy. Bahamut's Calamity was one of Darkness, characterized by extreme elemental activity (as opposed to the stillness from a Light calamity). Bahamut is the strongest candidate from our memory to be an Eden Primal of Darkness. Also, they previously said that the trailer would show two Eden fights, but leave the other two a mystery. This is one of the only two fights shown in the trailer that I think are likely.

The echoey voice towards the end of the trailer, I'm almost certain, is not related to the MSQ, even though it initially plays over a scene of G'raha Tia. I think it's battle lines from another Eden fight. Specifically, I think they're from a possessed Gaia, or the FFXIV version of Ultimecia from FFVIII. The being that possessed Gaia and appeared as the Icon of Darkness has yet to be fully explained. Gaia has had moments that reference Ultimecia (some of her lines about the passage of time are direct rips from FFVIII's final boss fight), her time-based magic is thematically appropriate for the Sorceress, and the concept of an Oracle of Darkness falls in fairly well with the idea of Ultimecia possessing Sorceresses from across time. Because, if the Oracle of Light was Minfilia possessing a series of girls and using the power of Hydaelyn through them, then an Oracle of Darkness would be someone possessed by a being close to Zodiark. The lines we heard also line up fairly well, and I can see where they'd fit in the boss fight the trailer was hinting at.

"I shall draw your memories from you!": Drawing is FFVIII's main magic system mechanic, and Ultimecia uses it to take Squall's imagination of a powerful Guardian Force (summon) to use herself. Given that this whole Eden thing has been about us using our memories to summon Primals, it would be fitting to have one of the last bosses spin that back around on us and summon primals from our memory. You can even see how this might work in the trailer; Gaia is in the center of a room with screens showing each of the Primals we've summoned so far. I think a boss fight will have Ultimecia tether to those screens and junction different Primals to herself.
    "Your time draws near!": More time references; a possessed Gaia fight would have her use Spell In Waiting again.
    "Farewell, servant of light!": The Oracle of Darkness identity opposes us or perhaps Ryne specifically. Gaia had a lot to say about Light during her fight as the Voidwalker.

They actually went in and showed E9 on the live letter, and the other Eden fight
    is almost certainly the 8 man fight against the Cerberus dog thing with a sword. The background for some of the dark Bahamut scenes were pretty clearly Ala Mhigo; my bet is that it is gonna have something to do with the MSQ (likely from those towers and whatever fandaniel is up to). The Ravana looking thing was in Bozja, so that leaves the Cerberus fight which 1) already has a clear connection to the World of Darkness, 2) appears to be set in Lakeland, which would make sense for Eden since it is all on the First, and 3) has a tenuous FF8 connection with the whole "guardian beast" thing.

My bet is Cloud of Darkness (shown on stream) > Cerberus > Possessed Gaia > True Ultemecia/Idol of Darkness/Whatever they end up calling the mastermind. Possible they do Possessed Gaia and Ultemecia as one and have a different fight for 11, but that's basically how I see it playing out.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Au'ra

They didn't forget him, in fact he has additional comments for you depending on where you are in the ShB story(for example one when you're just starting off on the ShB msq, after you complete the msq, and another right after you complete this recent Elidibus stuff)

They didn't do much with him beyond that though, but it's not like he could have done much from where he is anyway.

Donnicton on
    Donnicton wrote: »

They didn't forget him, in fact he has additional comments for you depending on where you are in the ShB story(for example one when you're just starting off on the ShB msq, after you complete the msq, and another right after you complete this recent Elidibus stuff)

They didn't do much with him beyond that though, but it's not like he could have done much from where he is anyway.
    there could have been dialogue referencing him all throughout 5.3! Ask elidibus if he remembers his son at all while he's going jokermode

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell

there could have been dialogue referencing him all throughout 5.3! Ask elidibus if he remembers his son at all while he's going jokermode
    also, we haven’t yet had him react to us knowing another person from the Thirteenth. Cyella mentions Unukalhai, but he has no dialogue regarding her

Also, it Bugs me that none of the plots involving Auracite (either Ivalice/Bozja or Sorrow of Werlyt) have warranted comments from him. He lost his entire world to Auracite.

edited November 2020
    Au'ra

I assume that's to avoid a "who?" moment from players who never did the quests. They definitely didn't like that that was a thing that could happen with the Crystal Tower, which is why it became required during the revamp. But I doubt they want to make the Triad required content either, so I figure it as more a necessary evil within the constraints of their game structure rather than a straight up storytelling oversight.

Donnicton on
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »

also, we haven’t yet had him react to us knowing another person from the Thirteenth. Cyella mentions Unukalhai, but he has no dialogue regarding her

Also, it Bugs me that none of the plots involving Auracite (either Ivalice/Bozja or Sorrow of Werlyt) have warranted comments from him. He lost his entire world to Auracite.
    I honestly think they just painted themselves into a corner with a character from optional content somewhat accidentally becoming very relevant to important content. "Go see if ukulele has a new one-liner every time something happens" would quickly become a pretty trite solution to that problem, but they also don't seem to want to fully commit to making him a "real" character either. I'm interested in seeing how the new quest ties in but I don't think there's an elegant solution to tie him into the overall story going forward without making the Triad quests required msq content.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Everyone should have to experience Sophia

Roegadyn
    really the solution is to retroactively make the warring triad mandatory like they did for crystal tower

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Another analogy would be like how they did for Garuda/Titan/Ifrit (Hard) being required for MSQ progression. That was in place well before they added the Crystal Tower requirement.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Crap. Gonna have to grind out Yokai FATEs before 12/8.

Unrelated, how active is Bozja these days? I tapped out early on but I should probably poke my head back in and finish up the story thus far.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    That's tetra master
    No I know that. I'm saying Triple Triad is close enough related as far as how it's played, minus FF9's stupid RNG element where strong cards randomly lose to weaker cards.

Roegadyn
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Crap. Gonna have to grind out Yokai FATEs before 12/8.

Unrelated, how active is Bozja these days? I tapped out early on but I should probably poke my head back in and finish up the story thus far.

decently

it's still a good way to level side jobs and the coin change gave people at cap a reason to keep doing fates

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    That's tetra master
    No I know that. I'm saying Triple Triad is close enough related as far as how it's played, minus FF9's stupid RNG element where strong cards randomly lose to weaker cards.

triple tried is from ff8, it's the only good part of that game

also, tetra master cards don't randomly lose

there are rules, they're never explained well and kinda complex, but they exist and make sense when you actually read them

the real powerful cards are ones that have lots of attack attack arrows and good defense

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the tetra master defender has logged on

liEt3nH.png
    the tetra master defender has logged on

oh it's not good, but there is a method behind what's happening

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    The real answer is all mini-games in all Final Fantasy games have sucked ass.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

They literally do. Even if you understand the game there's massive RNG in the attack formula. The strongest card in the game can randomly lose to the weakest card in the game.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The FF7 snowboard game is perfect and I won’t hear otherwise.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    TamerBill wrote: »

They literally do. Even if you understand the game there's massive RNG in the attack formula. The strongest card in the game can randomly lose to the weakest card in the game.

it losing is not the result of rng, it's one of the other systems that's never explained

"strength" is based on hex numbers, so in a direct clash, the strongest will always win

the minigames are simply not made to appeal to the audience of the game, in a perplexing but respectable decision

liEt3nH.png
    the minigames are simply not made to appeal to the audience of the game, in a perplexing but respectable decision

trolling jrpg fans is always and admirable flex

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

it losing is not the result of rng, it's one of the other systems that's never explained

"strength" is based on hex numbers, so in a direct clash, the strongest will always win

No, it's RNG. The hex numbers represent a range of possible numbers (because Tetra Master is obfuscation hidden beneath obfuscation), so a card with the best attack stat F actually had anywhere from 240 to 255 actual attack. Let's say it's 255. Whenever it attacks the value used is 255 minus a random number from 0 to 255. The defence is randomised the same way.

Tetra Master is a bad game. It tries to keep you from realising this by not telling you the rules, but it's true.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    i do love that the way to win blitzball and take the team to a victory is to fire basically everyone and recruit new players

liEt3nH.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    i do love that the way to win blitzball and take the team to a victory is to fire basically everyone and recruit new players

an accurate depiction of professional sports

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I have vague memories of enjoying the Cosmo Canyon tower defence mini-game in FF7.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Both triple triad and blitzball were good and fun

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I have vague memories of enjoying the Cosmo Canyon tower defence mini-game in FF7.

that was fort condor, actually! it was bad and tuned trivially easy, but it was an interesting idea
    I liked the submarine and motorcycle minigames myself

BahamutZERO.gif
    iirc later interviews talked about how because ff7 was their first big game for the playstation they worked several tech demos they were tinkering with into minigames for experience and that's why it's got such a wild diversity

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    I wish they'd do that more often! the diversity of minigames was incredibly charming to me

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.