As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Well, my first round with Drop support was very fast and positive... now they're just shuffling me between support teams and being generally unresponsive.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    That sucks. Bugs and production issues happen. Seems as though this is certainly an issue with the production. The best you can hope for is a fast and hassle free way to get the issue resolved. Hopefully Drop's response is just an isolated incident and not indicative of a direction they are heading.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    That sucks. Bugs and production issues happen. Seems as though this is certainly an issue with the production. The best you can hope for is a fast and hassle free way to get the issue resolved. Hopefully Drop's response is just an isolated incident and not indicative of a direction they are heading.

Yeah, it seems to be fairly common defect in them. I'm just wondering how it's getting past QC so frequently.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    The third pair of Pandas surprisingly arrived today (tracking has had it in NJ yesterday, I assume the tracking was just off), I didn't even bother charging them this time and just paired them straight away to my phone.

Holy shit. Know what it sounds like when the music's paused?
    Wonderful silence. Third time's the charm. :rotate:

So I doubt this had anything to do with it, but I had charged the first two defective pairs before using them with a USB-C PD charger. Now, in theory this shouldn't be an issue... USB-C and PD should auto negotiate to the correct voltage and amperage, and Drop's manual says anything that's 5V, 1A or higher should be fine. Also the buzzing came from the left earcup, the USB-C port is on the right but I don't know where the battery(ies?) are built into the unit, or if it's the power regulator, or I'm just paranoid and nothing I did had anything to do with it. I guess we'll see after I charge these.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Buying my sister and her husband headphones for Christmas, closed for her open for him. Trying to stay under $100 each here, and nothing that needs amps or anything.

After a little research I'm thinking maaaaybe Sennheiser HD 559s and...Takstar Pro 82s? I might try to find used a used pair of M50(x)s for her instead of the Pro 82s since she liked mine. edit: actually m40x might be perfect for her, she says she doesn't actually need them bassy

On a different subject, thinking of upgrading my own setup now that I have spending money again. I have ATH-AD700s I need to repair (think the cable broke or detached internally) and ATH-M50s, honestly prefer the M50s unless I need the bigger soundstage for a game...plus I have anxiety about roommates hearing my music/games/etc so closed back is preferable.

Thinking about ATH-990Zs but honestly have no clue.

Kamar on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    For a long while now the bluetooth headset I use for work has been bothering me with how awful the sound quality is for listening to music -- I don't know what the right audiophile terminology is, but essentially, it sounds like I'm listening to music being played on the other side of a door.

So I finally got around to looking up "bluetooth headset music awful", found this page about that sort of thing, told Windows to switch from using 'mpow h19 ipo headset' to using 'mpow h19 ipo headphones', and the difference is _amazing_, I can actually listen to music without wincing all the time.

• Options
    For a long while now the bluetooth headset I use for work has been bothering me with how awful the sound quality is for listening to music -- I don't know what the right audiophile terminology is, but essentially, it sounds like I'm listening to music being played on the other side of a door.

So I finally got around to looking up "bluetooth headset music awful", found this page about that sort of thing, told Windows to switch from using 'mpow h19 ipo headset' to using 'mpow h19 ipo headphones', and the difference is _amazing_, I can actually listen to music without wincing all the time.

mono mode, because it was reserving the other channel for the microphone for voice calls. nice catch!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Kamar wrote: »
    Buying my sister and her husband headphones for Christmas, closed for her open for him. Trying to stay under $100 each here, and nothing that needs amps or anything.

After a little research I'm thinking maaaaybe Sennheiser HD 559s and...Takstar Pro 82s? I might try to find used a used pair of M50(x)s for her instead of the Pro 82s since she liked mine. edit: actually m40x might be perfect for her, she says she doesn't actually need them bassy

On a different subject, thinking of upgrading my own setup now that I have spending money again. I have ATH-AD700s I need to repair (think the cable broke or detached internally) and ATH-M50s, honestly prefer the M50s unless I need the bigger soundstage for a game...plus I have anxiety about roommates hearing my music/games/etc so closed back is preferable.

Thinking about ATH-990Zs but honestly have no clue.

I've not heard the M40's, but sometimes you can find the M50's on sale or refurbished for closer to $100. Can't really help with open back as I've not had a pair in forever. Last one was 20+ years back and was the Grado SR80, which sounded great but were kind of uncomfortable.

Upgrading past the M50's is tough. I spent a long time looking and it's a deep rabbit hole. Generally getting something with more sound stage in a close back is going to lower Bass output. And with the impossibility of verifying claims and since the cost was moving into the $500+ range, I decided to just chill for now till canjam comes back and I can test stuff out myself.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thought ya'll might have some ideas. I'm looking for a new pair of IEM to replace my old Shure ones. I generally prefer wired BT ones over completely wireless earbuds. What's a good idea for the 100-250 range?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Been using my Pandas with my Samsung 4k TV for my PS5 since the PS5 doesn't support direct Bluetooth connections and it rules. Hoping they patch Bluetooth audio devices into the PS5 soon, or allow for split audio output so I can headphones easily and stream.

• Options
    Been using my Pandas with my Samsung 4k TV for my PS5 since the PS5 doesn't support direct Bluetooth connections and it rules. Hoping they patch Bluetooth audio devices into the PS5 soon, or allow for split audio output so I can headphones easily and stream.

does the PS5 support bluetooth USB dongles? I know the PS4 does.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Got some new headphones, HyperX Cloud Orbit S on sale enough that it fit into the budget work gave me to buy "home office" supplies.

Well, damnit, they seem to make a low volume white noise any time they're powered on. I don't get it. They don't have any active noise cancelling or anything - I see some other folks complaining about it online, but I didn't see any mention of it in reviews at all (and I spent way too much time on reading/watching reviews deciding between this and a wireless option). I'm waiting for their support to get back to me, but I wonder if it isn't actually a design decision and I either have to be ok with it or return them (and not get a deal on anything because all the sales have ended).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Just ordered a Blue Yet X microphone. Surely this will come in handy for streaming, working, and virtual dates.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah can be hard to tell with white noise on headphones, my first Arctis headphones had the issue immediately after trying them but it seemed to go away after a few days use.

Sometimes you do just get a bad pair though, I’d say stick with it a few days and then swap it out if it continues.

Dixon on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ordered myself a Schiit Stack. The Vali 2 amp and Modi DAC. I'm real excited to get them later this week and hook them up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So this seems like the place to be

Dear Audio thread: Why do I hate mids so much?

I just got a pair of Logitech X PRO G wired headphones and while I enjoy them now (and when I tried them in the store) I had to do some dialing in on the EQ to get them to not sound... well, like they were being piped in from a cheap laptops speakers.

This fixed it.

tgr9x4ta1202.png

I want to say I have some audio background. I play bass guitar and know how to get a decent tone out of it that's not rumbly or grating. I feel like I can tell the difference between 192 and 320k bitrates, and even analog audio. But for some reason, every single pair of headphones I get that are on the high end for casual consumers but not quite audiophile have the midrange fucking jacked up and it sounds awful.

Is this an equipment thing or just me with my personal tastes? It feels like a lot of audiophile sites love midrange and, with my lower-end hardware and no amps, think it makes stuff sound tinny and nasally. I fully concede that with a great pair of headphones and a nice amp/dac stack it could sound good, but man... even in my days with a $2,000 bass amp my mids got scooped.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Its a 7.1 gamer headset, I'm betting those are the two things right there that are doing it without diving into detailed reviews. There's lots of software processing of the signal before it gets to your ears and I have no idea how well this set deals with positional audio, but a lot of them do it poorly. You can get good/great headphones for around what those cost that are just good stereo headphones.

It might be your ears too. You might have to spend the time after the pandemic and go listen to some highly reviewed headphones to see which ones sound good to you.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Its a 7.1 gamer headset, I'm betting those are the two things right there that are doing it without diving into detailed reviews. There's lots of software processing of the signal before it gets to your ears and I have no idea how well this set deals with positional audio, but a lot of them do it poorly. You can get good/great headphones for around what those cost that are just good stereo headphones.

It might be your ears too. You might have to spend the time after the pandemic and go listen to some highly reviewed headphones to see which ones sound good to you.

I turn the 7.1 software emulation off because it sounds really bad, it's just stereo drivers. They're really solid, though I think I've reached the point that if I'm looking for more my next move will probably be a real set of cans and a standalone mic with an amp/dac combo.

I think the headphones sound great now, I just can't stand what constitutes "mids" in every single audio application I've ever done, including near professional musical equipment.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

I turn the 7.1 software emulation off because it sounds really bad, it's just stereo drivers. They're really solid, though I think I've reached the point that if I'm looking for more my next move will probably be a real set of cans and a standalone mic with an amp/dac combo.

I think the headphones sound great now, I just can't stand what constitutes "mids" in every single audio application I've ever done, including near professional musical equipment.

I would bet its your ears then. What you like is just slightly off the bell curve. Glad you were able to adjust it to your liking though!

• Options

I would bet its your ears then. What you like is just slightly off the bell curve. Glad you were able to adjust it to your liking though!

Yeah, they feel really nice and have a nice full sound.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to look into some headphones that were really neutral or mid-reduced in tone, is there anyone in particular I should be looking at?

I think I'm already mentally set on a schittstack for dac/amp.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Drop Panda are really neutral, BT and have a built in amp.

I use my pair daily, I messed with the EQ a smidge but I’m very happy with them. Can do calls on them but can’t use them over BT as a gaming Mic.

I think you can when you wire them, but I just use a standalone mic.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Just out of curiosity, if I were to look into some headphones that were really neutral or mid-reduced in tone, is there anyone in particular I should be looking at?

You might like the industry standard Sony MDR-7506. The soundstage is a bit subpar due to being closed back and having shallow cups, but otherwise its frequency response curve is similar to how you have your EQ setup (mids are neutral, some bass and high boosts). An open back set of headphones might work out for you, as well, since the bigger soundstage might open up the sound a bit more, diffusing the mids a bit.

I mean with the extremely wide EQ range that you have on your upper mids, it might actually just be your ears that are sensitive to those frequencies. *shrugs* Everyone has different ears.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

You might like the industry standard Sony MDR-7506. The soundstage is a bit subpar due to being closed back and having shallow cups, but otherwise its frequency response curve is similar to how you have your EQ setup (mids are neutral, some bass and high boosts). An open back set of headphones might work out for you, as well, since the bigger soundstage might open up the sound a bit more, diffusing the mids a bit.

I mean with the extremely wide EQ range that you have on your upper mids, it might actually just be your ears that are sensitive to those frequencies. *shrugs* Everyone has different ears.

The 7506s are great. I have a pair (that I'm currently waiting on a 1/4" adapter to use). They sounded good just hooked up to my PC, can't wait to hear them through the Schiit stack.

I think you'll have to watch a lot of reviews to find what you are looking for though. Maybe try to find headphones that take to EQ adjustment well.

• Options
    double post.

These things are awesome. Have them hooked up to my PC and am listening on a pair of Sony 7506 headphones. Maybe next month I'll pick up some Grado 80 or 125 headphones to really complement them. I used to have a set of Grado 60s that were awesome.

ycef8uhmcrm6.jpg
    8pzji6oa542q.jpg

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »

I use my pair daily, I messed with the EQ a smidge but I’m very happy with them. Can do calls on them but can’t use them over BT as a gaming Mic.

Yeah Planar tech is generally really neutral. There are quite a few headphones that use it. Audeze is the main company using it and I know they have folks that swear by their LCD line. Though they are quite expensive.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

Yeah Planar tech is generally really neutral. There are quite a few headphones that use it. Audeze is the main company using it and I know they have folks that swear by their LCD line. Though they are quite expensive.

My AEON Flow Closed planars are wonderfully neutral. It doesn't always suit what I'm listening to but for the vast majority of things they're great.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    double post.

These things are awesome. Have them hooked up to my PC and am listening on a pair of Sony 7506 headphones. Maybe next month I'll pick up some Grado 80 or 125 headphones to really complement them. I used to have a set of Grado 60s that were awesome.

ycef8uhmcrm6.jpg
    8pzji6oa542q.jpg

I have the magni/modi and they're great. I just killed my 80's (decade of abuse), so now mulling over tearing them apart and rebuilding them. In the meantime grabbed the Fidelio X2's - very, very comfortable cans.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Magni 2 + Modi 3 for 135 shipped. I offered 130 shipped plus the guy I think is local. I'm waiting for a reply.

I want to use my HD6XX's with it and was thinking of just using this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QNFGH61

Or this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073WRJ44V/

• Options
    Nice. Keep in mind you'll need a set of RCA cables to hook up the Magni and Modi together, so add those in to the 1/4" adapters if you don't have a set already.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Seller is including a solid set of connector and power cables!

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Seller is including a solid set of connector and power cables!

Awesome! Yea the Amps have a special power wart that isn't interchangeable with other non schiit power supplies. Can't wait to see your setup.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I keep putting off getting a real headphone amp, because there's no way I can be trusted with the potential to go louder. So I'll stick with whatever the built-in amp on my motherboard's Realtek audio gives me.

I'm already probably risking my hearing tomorrow for loudness today on a regular basis. Tinitis from time to time is the only sign of any problem I've ever had, and I've had that since before I owned any audio equipment. But I'm sure consequences will catch up sooner or later.

Here's hoping we have cyborg eardrums in the next 20 years. Just to last me until I can have a nanomachine colony installed to directly trigger the experience of sound in my brain.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I keep putting off getting a real headphone amp, because there's no way I can be trusted with the potential to go louder. So I'll stick with whatever the built-in amp on my motherboard's Realtek audio gives me.

I'm already probably risking my hearing tomorrow for loudness today on a regular basis. Tinitis from time to time is the only sign of any problem I've ever had, and I've had that since before I owned any audio equipment. But I'm sure consequences will catch up sooner or later.

Here's hoping we have cyborg eardrums in the next 20 years. Just to last me until I can have a nanomachine colony installed to directly trigger the experience of sound in my brain.

An amp isn't going to necessarily make your headphones louder. Only you turning up the volume will make them louder. An amp is going to allow your headphones to sound their best at lower volume levels meaning you won't have to play them so load to get to sound better (which means they need to be amped in the first place). At that point not making them louder is up to you and knowing what best/most comfortable to you.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Hey guys. So I am looking for some bone conduction headphones/earbuds/whatever(consider they don't actually go in ear). Looking to not spend to crazy an amount, they will be just for working out and doing some running. I'm leaning towards bone conduction to have open ear and be able to hear stuff going on around me if needed for the sake of safety. I am also wondering that they are safer in the sense of not having the thing in my ear to maybe get stuck(?) and also to not directly expose the eardrums to sound. I am new to this aspect, and by no means an audio expert. Any advice on something that'd be on amazon as far as links, brands, etc.

Thanks for the input guys.

RightfulSin on
    "If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Hey guys. So I am looking for some bone conduction headphones/earbuds/whatever(consider they don't actually go in ear). Looking to not spend to crazy an amount, they will be just for working out and doing some running. I'm leaning towards bone conduction to have open ear and be able to hear stuff going on around me if needed for the sake of safety. I am also wondering that they are safer in the sense of not having the thing in my ear to maybe get stuck(?) and also to not directly expose the eardrums to sound. I am new to this aspect, and by no means an audio expert. Any advice on something that'd be on amazon as far as links, brands, etc.

I got the missus some Aeropex last year and she's been using them religiously. They're really interesting (in the "someone is piping sound directly into my skull" way.) Possibly one of the strangest sensations ever is plugging your ears and hearing things louder.

Now for one of your points: You can still damage your hearing with these. You're not directly stimulating the eardrum, but it's still working out.

You're going to be missing out on bass, a lot.

On the plus side, they're also amazing for calls and podcasts. And for exterior working out, specially for not feeling isolated/safety, they're perfect.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

I got the missus some Aeropex last year and she's been using them religiously. They're really interesting (in the "someone is piping sound directly into my skull" way.) Possibly one of the strangest sensations ever is plugging your ears and hearing things louder.

Now for one of your points: You can still damage your hearing with these. You're not directly stimulating the eardrum, but it's still working out.

On the plus side, they're also amazing for calls and podcasts. And for exterior working out, specially for not feeling isolated/safety, they're perfect.

Ok. Now what about the air conduction alternatives? Also you mean missing bass, how so? They just don't have bass or...?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Ok. Now what about the air conduction alternatives? Also you mean missing bass, how so? They just don't have bass or...?
    They still have bass frequencies, but greatly attenuated compared to earbuds, IEMs, headphones, etc. Driving a bass audio signal through conduction can be unpleasant and fatiguing, and probably would require a tighter connection on the contact point. That being said, the bass is better on the newest models from the usual companies (Aftershokz, primarily). I can highly recommend any Aftershokz model (I've owned three of them, including a wired non-Bluetooth version). There's also a bone conduction... pod, for lack of a better term, that you can put under a swim cap that sits at the base of your skull (but obviously, this is mostly used for swimmers and not general above-water athletics).

For the audiophile experience, they are terrible. But you would never wear a bone conduction headset for an audiophile experience. They are perfectly cromulent for everyday listening, exercising, etc. Also, be aware that they bleed audio... less than a pair of open back headphones, but certainly more than most cans or earbuds.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, I just unpacked and hooked up my 2000 era receiver, a Yamaha RX-396. While it seems there are things available that would let me stream music to/from it, is there any point in doing so?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

They still have bass frequencies, but greatly attenuated compared to earbuds, IEMs, headphones, etc. Driving a bass audio signal through conduction can be unpleasant and fatiguing, and probably would require a tighter connection on the contact point. That being said, the bass is better on the newest models from the usual companies (Aftershokz, primarily). I can highly recommend any Aftershokz model (I've owned three of them, including a wired non-Bluetooth version). There's also a bone conduction... pod, for lack of a better term, that you can put under a swim cap that sits at the base of your skull (but obviously, this is mostly used for swimmers and not general above-water athletics).

For the audiophile experience, they are terrible. But you would never wear a bone conduction headset for an audiophile experience. They are perfectly cromulent for everyday listening, exercising, etc. Also, be aware that they bleed audio... less than a pair of open back headphones, but certainly more than most cans or earbuds.

Bleed audio? Meaning that people can hear the music or that I hear stuff other than the music?

If it's me hearing other stuff as well, that is the point sort of. I want to make sure I can hear stuff like on coming cars while jogging. If it means other people can hear it, how? I thought it was conducting via the bone?

Again, I am by no means any sort of expert. Thanks for the help.

• Options
    Bleed as in others may hear parts of what you're hearing from the headphones.