As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Miqo'te
    Teww me, fow whom do you fight?

How vewy gwib, and do you bewieve in Eowzea?

Eowzeas unyity is fowged on fawsehoods.

Its city-states awe buiwt on deceit, and its faith is an instwument of deception.

It is nyaught but a cobweb of wies - to bewieve in Eowzea is to bewieve in nyothing.

In Eowzea, the beast twibes often summon Gods to fight in theiw stead.

Though youw comwades onwy wawewy wespond in kind - which is stwange, is it nyot? :3

Awe the twewve othewwise "engaged"? I was given to undewstand they wewe youw pwotectows.

If you twuwy bewieve them youw guawdians, why do you nyot wepeat the twick that sewved you so weww at cawtenyeau, and caww them down?

They wiww answew, so wong as you wavish them with cwystaws and gowge them on aethew.

Youw Gods awe nyo diffewent fwom those of the beasts - eikons, evewy onye.

Accept but this, and you wiww see how Eowzeas faith is bweeding the wand dwy.

Nyow is this unknyown to youw mastews, which pwompts the question - why do they cwing to these fawse deities?

What dwives even men of weawnying - even the gweat Wouisoux to gwuvw at theiw feet?

The answew?

Youw mastews wack the stwength to do othewwise nwn

Fow the wowwd of man to mean anything, man must own the wowwd.

To this end, he hath fought evew to waise himsewf thwough confwict, to gwow wich thwough conquest.

And when the dust of battwe settwes, it is evew the stwong who dictate the fate of the weak.

Knyowing this, but a singwe path is open to the impotent wuwew - that of fawse wowship.

A path which weads to enyewvation and death.

Onwy a man of powew can wightwy steew the couwse of civiwization.

And in this wand of cweeping mendacity, that onye twuth wiww pwuv its sawvation.

Come, champion of Eowzea, face me

Youw defeat shaww sewve as pwoof of my weadinyess to wuwe ;;w;;

It is onwy wight that I shouwd take youw weawm, fow nyonye among you has the powew to stop me ;;w;;

wow this is a bad TOTP

Crippl3 on
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Hyur
    5.4 spoilers:

Looks like Gaia's story has the Cloud of Darkness coming back

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Miqo'te
    Or rather a reimagining or Cloud of Darkness like Shiva was reimagined.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    I recall people were commenting that the bonus xp for the 5/6/7 roulette wasn't really all that worth it, but I think they've adjusted the xp amounts at some point in Shadowbringers, because when I was leveling my last few classes to 80 I did a number of those roulettes and the XP wasn't bad at all. Which was nice, because the pool for those dungeons is huge and it means that I don't get repeats as often.

You do 5/6/7 and Normal raids for tomestones. The XP is trash.

Also, don’t sleep on Frontline roulette. It’s PVP, but gives XP equivalent to a leveling roulette.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    already done

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Midnite wrote: »
    5.4 spoilers:

Looks like Gaia's story has the Cloud of Darkness coming back
    2 options here. Either we summon the Cloud as a Primal for a shot of Dark energy into the Empty, or we are indeed getting sucked into a void portal to fight the World of Darkness enemies again.

On the one hand, the Cloud of Darkness is a Voidsent, not a Primal. On the other hand, all the first Voidsent were the product of Auracite crystals, which infused their wielders with the energy of Primals. Cuchulainn was one of these, so the Cloud might also be (since one of FFXII’s Espers is based on them). And in any case, we could make a Primal out of anything. Summoning just requires a concept, focus, and aether.

It’s impossible for me to say for sure, as both options are plausible. The Empty might need extra energy to continue regrowth. But Gaia has already been associated with the Void. The Voidwalker and the Idol of Darkness both were able to tear open voidgates.

Interesting also is that this new boss has swapped the giant green form of the Cloud for the Dissidia model.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Potato for life

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    look, potatoes are better

but armor looks like shit on them and I wanted to be a bunny girl

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Just that predator flex handshake image with dude Roe, Lala, and armor looking like ass wrote on it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Someone pointed this out on twitter, spoilers for the extra role quest you get from completing every other role quest

Are we figthing corrupted Cyella in E10?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    look, potatoes are better

but armor looks like shit on them and I wanted to be a bunny girl

monkey paw curling: no more hats

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Zython wrote: »
    I recall people were commenting that the bonus xp for the 5/6/7 roulette wasn't really all that worth it, but I think they've adjusted the xp amounts at some point in Shadowbringers, because when I was leveling my last few classes to 80 I did a number of those roulettes and the XP wasn't bad at all. Which was nice, because the pool for those dungeons is huge and it means that I don't get repeats as often.

Also, don’t sleep on Frontline roulette. It’s PVP, but gives XP equivalent to a leveling roulette.

That was my experience in previous expansions, but in the 70s the 5/6/7 roulette was giving me 6-7 million bonus xp, while MSQ was giving me 12-14 million and leveling was giving me 7-8 million going off what numbers I can remember.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Au'ra

Also the wolf marks can be traded for some nice glamours, some mounts, etc. Who wins is basically entirely RNG for frontlines, so don't stress about that.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

That was my experience in previous expansions, but in the 70s the 5/6/7 roulette was giving me 6-7 million bonus xp, while MSQ was giving me 12-14 million and leveling was giving me 7-8 million going off what numbers I can remember.

Something else to not forget, is you Wondrous Tales weekly, which gives about the same XP as a Praetorium run in addition to the other rewards. Wondrous Tales is unlocked in Idyllshire once you complete the quest Heavensward by talking to a particularly bloodthirsty Miquo'te.

Speaking of mini-games that are decent, I'd call FFXIV's implementation of PVP once such mini-game. The less responsive netcode holds it back from being something I'd brag about compared to other games, but I typically have fun with it in all its iterations.

Lalafell
    ph blake wrote: »
    Someone pointed this out on twitter, spoilers for the extra role quest you get from completing every other role quest

Are we figthing corrupted Cyella in E10?
    The Shadowkeeper (Cyella) had an army 100 years ago, when she did the Ascians’ bidding. Among them were Elves who accepted the power to become deadly wolf-like monsters. These Wargs were a major threat in the war. I wouldn’t be surprised if either Cyella used that power herself while she was still obscuring her identity, or that some of her minions bore swords like her own.

Now, given that we will be fighting the Cloud of Darkness (greatest of the Voidsent and probably one of the first), and that Cyella is a refugee from the Thirteenth (which is now the Void), I can see a couple options here.

1: this is indeed a corrupted Cyella, dragged into the battle by the Voidsent. With the Cloud here, and the previous use of voidgates by Gaia and the Icon, the Void definitely has a strong influence on this story that hasn’t fully come forth yet.
    2: this is one of the Shadowkeeper’s Wargs, and one of their blades, that were claimed by the Flood and uncovered, or dragged into the Void a century ago.
    3: Gaia is actually over 100 years old, and she was there when the Shadowkeepers armies were around. This could be her memories of that war drawn out in a Summoning.
    4: the Cloud and the Warg are Cyella’s memories; she might end up being part of the Eden story, and will summon the Cloud as a Primal, with the memory of her army coming with it.

Of these, I think 3 is the most likely. The Shadowkeeper is a plot point that everyone will run into during the main story (each role story mentions her, I think?), but actually revealing Cyella’s identity is optional, and I don’t they’d make her required for this. It would also fit with Gaia’s mysterious identity and questionable memories. 2 is also likely, as it would just require that a Warg ended up in the Void. That said, an identical sword is kind of a silly detail to just be a coincidence.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hyur
    The best thing about Frontlines is that you can queue as one job, then immediately switch to another once you're inside the match. And even if you're in there as a job you're not skilled at, everything is so chaotic that no one has any idea if you're doing well or not. 95% of my EXP for White Mage and Astrologian has come from them, because I want to cap all the jobs and see all the story missions, but hate actually playing as a Healer.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Au'ra
    Polaritie wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Both triple triad and blitzball were good and fun

Which Blitzball?

X. X-2 ruined it

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hyur
    Wow, just did the Library of the Ancients. Wasn't as long as I was worried it would take. Also,

*immediately seeks out the game setting that mutes other peoples' combat ability graphics because I COULDN'T SEE SHIT*

Edit - Wait are there no options for this? Son of a bitch.

Henroid on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    there's an option for it, I forget exactly where it is though

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    There is though the options menu isn't the best though

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Found it, it's in the control settings for some fucking reason.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Make sure you set it to Limited, not None. On None you can't see healers' bubbles.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    Hyur
    I apparently used the wrong queue option for some Minstrel's Ballad shit having to do with Ultima Weapon. I'm glad the Duty Finder is split with legacy content and current content, but it could use some sort of asterisk style notes about "you have a quest for this" on things.

Viera
    haha I did the same thing with minstrel's ballad ultima, we managed to clear it too

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    At least I got to make more Metal Gear jokes when whats-his-ass was going inside Ultima.

Viera
    warrior of light, you got all the dominant genes!

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hyur
    This Hildibrand set of quests is the most obnoxious shit ever. Go to location, watch a cutscene. Go five feet away, watch another cutscene. Go down the road, watch a third cutscene. Etc.

The structure has forced my hand into just skipping them all. I don't want to be here anymore and I don't know if this is one of the things I have to finish to get to HW.

Viera
    hildibrand is optional, just skip it if it's not doing it for you, they're meant to be viewed comedy show episodes rather than normal MMORPG quests

BahamutZERO.gif
    Miqo'te
    Henroid wrote: »
    This Hildibrand set of quests is the most obnoxious shit ever. Go to location, watch a cutscene. Go five feet away, watch another cutscene. Go down the road, watch a third cutscene. Etc.

The structure has forced my hand into just skipping them all. I don't want to be here anymore and I don't know if this is one of the things I have to finish to get to HW.

The only thing you need to finish to get to HW are the main story quests, all of which are marked with that special MSQ symbol.

It is recommended to finish the crystal tower series of alliance raids too, not only because they unlike alliance roulette for an excellent daily source of XP, but also because they will eventually be required to progress in the MSQ (but not until you reach the post level 80 current xpac story content).

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    edited November 2020
    Viera
    they recently changed crystal tower to be required to get out of ARR I think, at some point it just blocks progress in the MSQ and says "go do these things: crystal tower, and the level 50 remixes of ifrit, titan and garuda"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Miqo'te
    they recently changed crystal tower to be required to get out of ARR I think, at some point it just blocks progress in the MSQ and says "go do these things: crystal tower, and the level 50 remixes of ifrit, titan and garuda"

I don't remember this at all, and I leveled an alt through that content after the 5.3 patch.

Unless it was in 5.35 or something?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    edited November 2020
    Viera
    I'm hearing from my source that you are pointed at crystal tower around 2.1 and becomes a hard block before you can do 2.5
    ah and yes it was changed in 5.35

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Miqo'te
    Yeah I just looked it up, huh.

I mean it makes sense I guess, but I wonder why they didn't just incorporate them into the MSQ with the ARR revamp in 5.3?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra

The Hildibrand quest line is purely a comedic relief sidequest series and is not relevant to or needed for anything else. You are very much getting the wrong thing out of it right now and I would suggest you skip it until you are in the appropriate mood to try it.

Hyur
    Yeah the raids in the Crystal Tower have been marked as MSQs for me.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Donnicton wrote: »

The Hildibrand quest line is purely a comedic relief sidequest series and is not relevant to or needed for anything else. You are very much getting the wrong thing out of it right now and I would suggest you skip it until you are in the appropriate mood to try it.

It has exactly two things it rewards: Laughs and cosmetics.

...okay there's also a couple BLU spells in some of the ARR stuff for it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Miqo'te
    Red Cat and I just aquired Kirin this evening.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited November 2020
    Lalafell
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

It has exactly two things it rewards: Laughs and cosmetics.

...okay there's also a couple BLU spells in some of the ARR stuff for it.

And it has Trials that are needed for like, mentor Roulette, but you don’t need to worry about that. You’ll get the most out of them if you’re actually engaged with the story.

Enlong on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    But that Dance though

This discussion has been closed.