As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I finally did it, folks!

BgEGhb9.png.1

That's a first place without playing a single card. I just alt-tabbed back into the game occasionally to click the gamble hero power so I wouldn't get disconnected for AFKness.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    And people like this game mode you don’t have to play?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Some people like actually playing it. For those of us in sub-500, it's just an idle XP farm.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I finally did it, folks!

BgEGhb9.png.1

That's a first place without playing a single card. I just alt-tabbed back into the game occasionally to click the gamble hero power so I wouldn't get disconnected for AFKness.

I don't get how thats possible. How bad are these players?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    It must have been a game of 7 other people AFKing/eventually conceding. It's a fuckin' madhouse down at this rating.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Oh snap!

ob4pbdi1iuql.jpeg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Can you even spend 7 bil in hearthstone?

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

There's only one way to find out: start a GoFundMe to buy $7 billion in Hearthstone packs.

If you want half of all golden legendaries, yes.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    https://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearthstone-general/general-discussion/229824-how-much-gold-money-or-dust-is-needed-for-a-full#:~:text=So even in the average,to get every card Golden.

says it was $92k (worst case) to get every card golden. That post was a year ago, though, and the game had been out for five years at that point, so if we increase that previous total by 20% to take into account the year between then and now its likely something ~$110k to get a fully golden set.

ObiFett on

He went from 7 billion to 128 billion, so he was dropping 121 billion on Hearthstone. So yes, 7 billion is no problem!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »

He went from 7 billion to 128 billion, so he was dropping 121 billion on Hearthstone. So yes, 7 billion is no problem!

7 billion dollars! Imagine what you could buy with 7 billion dollars!

Probably like, 10 Legendaries!!! Wow!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

7 billion dollars! Imagine what you could buy with 7 billion dollars!

Probably like, 10 Legendaries!!! Wow!

That's almost half of what you need to play wallet warrior!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Sadly, most decks these days are approaching the dust cost of OG wallet warrior from early Hearthstone

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Sadly, most decks these days are approaching the dust cost of OG wallet warrior from early Hearthstone

Most fun decks seem to be. But fun and power aren’t the same thing.

Aggro DH is tier 1, and the highlighted list on the VS report has two epics, four rares, and is otherwise:common/basic. I made Legend this month in Standard with a version of Shaman with no Legendaries, and the VS report list is similar, though it does throw in some Far Sights. In Wild, you can’t swing a cat without seeing Aggro Druid, which is about 3,500 dust (it uses Sir Finley and Patches). Keeping it under 8k dust or so, and you have decks in Standard and Wild like Secret Mage, Secret Hunter, Face Hunter, Odd DH, Odd Paladin, Pirate Warrior, Warlock Zoo, etc, that are all competitive.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    this combo warrior deck gets dunked on by illucia so hard

priest just 100% counters it, can't win

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Oh snap!

ob4pbdi1iuql.jpeg

Ah, the hearthstone subreddit. Beating a dead horse with a rock hoping blood comes out of the stone.

Yeah, the HS subreddit is full of angry folks. Problem is I'm guessing most of them are just full of shit and won't actually stop playing, making their arguments moot. Money talks and all that.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I think a lot of them already don’t play and just wanna bag on the game / Blizzard. That sub is completely unrepresentative of the people playing this game and driving its success.

hearthstone sucks

DNiDlnb.png
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The email Kibler got is a perfect demonstration of their mindset.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Yeah on Firebat's stream I heard there was some controversy over something Zalae said, and he was like "I've been friends with him so long, I'm not gonna denounce him because he said one dumb thing. We're all human" and I'm like "oh god, don't tell me Zalae said some racist or homo/transphobic bullshit"

his statement was that he didn't want to comment on the progression system, because he hadn't paid attention to it. the controversy was that he declined to comment on their fucking protest and people were hounding Firebat to cut ties with him

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I don't think everyone complaining on reddit is sending threatening DMs to streamers.

no, but a vocal minority are

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Sure, but the flaws in the pass really don't warrant the degree of quotidian relitigation that's occurring.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Honestly, the game was far too expensive before the pass. I was min/maxing gold and still not getting all the cards/Legendaries from an expansion. On average, I was able to buy ~80 packs with the gold I saved up between expansions. The only advantage I had was playing the game since launch, and therefore having a lot of dust saved up to craft the cards that were good that I didn't get from packs. I never got all the cards from any set, including the Classic set. Had I stopped playing for one expansion, I would have been far behind. I can't imagine how bad it is for new players.

The pass jumbled things and just doubled down on the pay-to-win mentality. This either opened up people's eyes to how expensive the game is or gave them the outlet they needed to rant en masse. I doubt much will change except a few tweaks here and there to settle people down.

If you drop $80 on a bundle of cards for the expansion, that should get you every card and the Battleground pass. It's insanity that it doesn't. $240/year for 3 expansions that don't even get everything is crazy.

Now if they want to charge extra for portraits and cosmetics, that's fine whatever. The card economy is ridiculously overpriced and they know it. But as long as people keep buying this shit though, nothing will change. I'm sure the team hates this shit and just want to make a fun and silly game. Marketing and management are the one's making everything such a mess.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    hearthstone sucks

You take that back! That is an affront to vacuum cleaners everywhere!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited November 2020
    Honestly, the game was far too expensive before the pass. I was min/maxing gold and still not getting all the cards/Legendaries from an expansion. On average, I was able to buy ~80 packs with the gold I saved up between expansions. The only advantage I had was playing the game since launch, and therefore having a lot of dust saved up to craft the cards that were good that I didn't get from packs. I never got all the cards from any set, including the Classic set. Had I stopped playing for one expansion, I would have been far behind. I can't imagine how bad it is for new players.

The pass jumbled things and just doubled down on the pay-to-win mentality. This either opened up people's eyes to how expensive the game is or gave them the outlet they needed to rant en masse. I doubt much will change except a few tweaks here and there to settle people down.

If you drop $80 on a bundle of cards for the expansion, that should get you every card and the Battleground pass. It's insanity that it doesn't. $240/year for 3 expansions that don't even get everything is crazy.

Now if they want to charge extra for portraits and cosmetics, that's fine whatever. The card economy is ridiculously overpriced and they know it. But as long as people keep buying this shit though, nothing will change. I'm sure the team hates this shit and just want to make a fun and silly game. Marketing and management are the one's making everything such a mess.

it's no secret that the dev teams and Blizzard are at odds with each other and have been for fucking years

i mean, you look at what happened to the HotS team and it's almost a bit of a silver lining there; they now have much more freedom to do what they want because Blizz pulled the rug out from under them and doesn't really give a shit anymore what they do. they stopped selling loot chests, for fuck's sake! because it was the right move to do! and they just let people purchase individual skins with money directly!! never would've happened prior to being thrown under the bus like that.

but Hearthstone is still a Big Cash Cow for Blizz so they milk that fucker for all its worth

like they have very smart people on the dev team. people who know their shit, who know all the math that goes into this, who know exactly the right and wrong numbers for this stuff. it's not up to them how they market their game though. never has been.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Beasteh wrote: »
    no, but a vocal minority are
    Absolutely, but unhinged, shitty people on the internet is nothing new. r/hearthstone can't do anything about that.

Yeah on Firebat's stream I heard there was some controversy over something Zalae said, and he was like "I've been friends with him so long, I'm not gonna denounce him because he said one dumb thing. We're all human" and I'm like "oh god, don't tell me Zalae said some racist or homo/transphobic bullshit"

his statement was that he didn't want to comment on the progression system, because he hadn't paid attention to it. the controversy was that he declined to comment on their fucking protest and people were hounding Firebat to cut ties with him
    Hounding Firebat about it is ridiculous, but here's the statement in context for anyone who is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0hwtcJnexs

forty wrote: »

Hounding Firebat about it is ridiculous, but here's the statement in context for anyone who is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0hwtcJnexs

It's a pretty fair statement to make honestly

I think demanding "statements" or whatever from streamers is like fucking ridiculous, like. Just.... just let them be. If they don't give a fuck about it, that's that. Let em BEEEEE Y'ALLLLL

DNiDlnb.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    didn't even tell them they were wrong, just that he didn't want to talk about it on his stream which is entirely within his right

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Technically you could argue that Zalae is also pissed about the changes, since Blizzard's fuck-up is what led to said bitching in his chat that he's complaining about.

I have never found Zalae enjoyable to watch, he is always so unpleasant and mean

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    he actually seems like a really good dude most of the time, he's just not good at having patience with stuff like that (i.e. people who make their cause collecting streamer statements against the new reward system)

I wasn't watching the stream live but I gather there was a lot of reward system related spam in his chat at that point

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    i hadn't even seen that card before but holy shit cycle of hatred is broken in arena and should be banned

its infinitely better flamestrike

guy just cleared my board and made 15/15 in stats, no way to recover from that much of a tempo swing

edited November 2020
    Trump had this funny Duels video up. Trump went with the Hunter Hero Power that activates a Deathrattle minion and started off going 2-2. After that, he won 10 in a row to finish 12-2.

His treasures were giving Stealth to 2-cost or less minions, which allowed him to stick the Nerubian Egg and Haunted Creeper consistently. Then he got the Deathrattles activate twice treasure. His Creeper would spawn 4 1/1s, making him a pseudo-Control Paladin.

But it all came together right at the end when he got the Hat treasure that gives a minion +2/+2 and Deathrattle: give this hat to another minion. His turn 2 play was to drop the Haunted Creeper, then his turn 3 play was put a hat on it and hero power. That gave him a stealthed 5/6, and 4 spiders with 2 hat buffs. Needless to say, it got out of control very fast, as most broken shit in Duels tends to do.

Jump to 1:18:46 and 1:21:46 to see it in action. Warning horrific thumbnail. :)

https://youtu.be/MhGajqJ7F8w

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Cycle of hatred just seems like a really good card and it says a lot to me how busted DH is that it doesn’t have any use for it.

edited December 2020
    that and expendable performers are absurd in arena

if a control demon hunter deck ever became viable it has some crazy tools

e: thijs just had PLATEBREAKER played against him by a soul DH, removing 25 armor and losing him the game

it's.. finally meta..

Beasteh on
    I think my main problem with cycle of hatred is that it would be so much more useful and just as appropriate in like three other classes. Instead it's a powerful card in a class that has no use for it, or if you want to put it another way, has similar tools that already work fine.