As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I definitely always enforced "declare targets before rolling" even in casual games. Is that more optional at a lot of tables?

What is this I don't even.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I definitely always enforced "declare targets before rolling" even in casual games. Is that more optional at a lot of tables?

I think it's a matter of degrees. Do you strictly, per RAW, have every unit on the table declare every weapon each is firing with its associated target, and then go back through the declarations in initiative order and roll each?

Or, like most sane humans, do you abbreviate the process a bit?

My point is, yes it's possible to play it RAW. That way is also bookwork-intensive, grows exponentially with each additional unit on the board, and in a majority of cases isn't actually that important to the resolution.

For most games not played for cut-throat keeps, eliding the steps together a bit helps keep everything flowing more smoothly with very little loss in resulting fidelity.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I think it's a matter of degrees. Do you strictly, per RAW, have every unit on the table declare every weapon each is firing with its associated target, and then go back through the declarations in initiative order and roll each?

So far, yes. :D But we're dealing with, at most, 4 units per side so far, and only the 'mech (1 per side) has enough variety of weapons for this to be an actual concern.

Hence my, "This is going to get crazy quickly as we add more 'mechs; there's gotta be a better way!" questions. :D Or, as you said ...
    That way is also bookwork-intensive, grows exponentially with each additional unit on the board

And for the record, there's mostly no value judgements here about how people play! I wouldn't play this game if I also wasn't an OCD robot that memorizes turn-and-phase ordering for complicated games. Hell, at one point I had the MtG Comp Rules 90% memorized; I'm not afraid of properly-enforced crunch.

I'm also lazy and old though, so sometimes the path of lesser resistance is better for everyone. 🤣

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Yeah I wasn't intending to pick at anyone doing otherwise. I basically only played CBT with a couple of people ever and never really saw how most folks played. And this was before the days of youtube and such where you could live vicariously.

MW:DA was salvation simply because I could find tons of people playing.

edited November 2020
    Yeah I wasn't intending to pick at anyone doing otherwise. I basically only played CBT with a couple of people ever and never really saw how most folks played. And this was before the days of youtube and such where you could live vicariously.

I know people shit on MW:DA, and boy howdy were some of the sculpts suspect*, but goddamn it I enjoyed it. And it kept the Stompy Bots alive in a period that was pretty Classic-game fallow.

*Overheard regarding The Atlas sculpt that was at first a Limited Edition: "Someone worked very hard to fuck this up so very badly."

Nips on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    I got a lot of the newer Battletech stuff, but I just came across this Clan kickstarter. I can get into the late pledge but does it add a lot that it's worth it?

The only stuff that's KS exclusive is the art on the Box Set, the Legendary mechwarriors pack, the keychain, the dog tag, Mechwarrior Pilot Cards sets II & III, some of the posters, the leather dice bag (which is only available as an add-on), a digital novella, and 5 digital scenarios.

I guess it depends what you mean by "does it add a lot" a lot of what?

No idea. I'm pretty new into Battletech, but I also like like buying RPG books and Mech figures. I guess to simplify "anything cool?"

The Urbie for the cool factor? The starter Clan box set for the books? Yeah the only true exclusive for what you are saying is the Legendary Mechwarriors pack. I can't remember if the Urbie is special since it is by itself.

I hate quoting myself, but there is one other thing that is special to the Kickstarter. Urbie Plushie! Just didn't want it to get lost if I just edited my post with all this awesome information about how to play Battletech.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Or, like most sane humans, do you abbreviate the process a bit?

My point is, yes it's possible to play it RAW. That way is also bookwork-intensive, grows exponentially with each additional unit on the board, and in a majority of cases isn't actually that important to the resolution.

For most games not played for cut-throat keeps, eliding the steps together a bit helps keep everything flowing more smoothly with very little loss in resulting fidelity.

It matters in that it makes rounds with kills more heat efficient- no wasted shots on dead targets. Or lets you redirect fire away from a dead unit. Or lets a dead unit get off a final "fuck you" strike if it's late in the order. I think all of those are fine!

Then again I'm also the lady working on a homebrew that removes the turns and phases from the game so YMMV. :P

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I've played tactical games like this before, but I can't recall the names of any of them: imagine a computer game adaptation where both players put in all the round's orders before anything happened, and then it all occurs in real time. Sort of like plays in American football.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I've played tactical games like this before, but I can't recall the names of any of them: imagine a computer game adaptation where both players put in all the round's orders before anything happened, and then it all occurs in real time. Sort of like plays in American football.

Phantom Brigade is like this. Just on EGS right now, in early access. I'm watching the developer stream right now - pretty compelling for being so early in development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_NhZp__4w

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I think Endless Space battles are like that, you choose you fleet and engagement strategies (long, medium, short) and then it resolves the combat for you.

If you have a short range fleet you choose evasive style strategy for the long range portions etc.

I seem to recall Aeronautica Imperialis is similar where you choose your flight plan cards and then play them at the same time as your opponent to find out how the combat resolves

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited November 2020

Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex (this one's literally football) are this to a T.

Iolo wrote: »

Phantom Brigade is like this. Just on EGS right now, in early access. I'm watching the developer stream right now - pretty compelling for being so early in development.

Oh shit, I can so get on board with this jazz.

Nips on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Alright, the crunch on this has my attention.

The timeline stuff feels like it could end up being somewhat tedious though.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex (this one's literally football) are this to a T.

Pretty sure those are the ones I was thinking of, thanks.

I kind of want HBS to do a Crimson Skies squadron management game that uses a system like that for playing out aerial battles.

If they really wanted to get crazy, maybe recycle elements of their Shadowrun game's combat system to have on-foot shoot outs & bar brawls during certain parts of the story to get the full pulp-serial experience.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    For those who are adding on more stuff for Wave 2, don't forget to update the Google Doc especially if there's anything you're wanting or willing to trade!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    For those who are adding on more stuff for Wave 2, don't forget to update the Google Doc especially if there's anything you're wanting or willing to trade!

Can you get anything from Wave 1 in wave 2 or are certain things limited to the wave? I have a lot of the books but clan stuff seems neat.

And thanks, @Betsuni for the lowdown! So far really like the maps.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • NobodyNobody Registered User regular

I know people shit on MW:DA, and boy howdy were some of the sculpts suspect*, but goddamn it I enjoyed it. And it kept the Stompy Bots alive in a period that was pretty Classic-game fallow.

*Overheard regarding The Atlas sculpt that was at first a Limited Edition: "Someone worked very hard to fuck this up so very badly."

I honestly remember seeing MW:DA the first time and I just felt it wasn’t for me? I wasn’t a fan of blind box collecting and the factions were off in left field (ex: I wanted to play Kurita, wtf is Dragon’s Fury?).

I started warming up to it right as it was on the downswing so I ended up missing out.

Can you get anything from Wave 1 in wave 2 or are certain things limited to the wave? I have a lot of the books but clan stuff seems neat.

And thanks, Betsuni for the lowdown! So far really like the maps.

Everything can be ordered but as of Oct 16th Wave 1 items are not guaranteed to be in stock. So if you have not yet confirmed your order you may not be guaranteed to get all Wave 1 items.

That said! Wave 1 Clan Omni mechs wre where they're pulling Salvage Boxes from, so they're likely those mayhave a slightly better chance of being available. And the big dice snafu* means there's a chance they'll be making a bunch more of those so those also may have a better chance of being available.

*Basically there's an extremely high percentage of dice that were very poorly made - logos were done wrong/bad, sides are very unlevel, etc

Nobody wrote: »

I honestly remember seeing MW:DA the first time and I just felt it wasn’t for me? I wasn’t a fan of blind box collecting and the factions were off in left field (ex: I wanted to play Kurita, wtf is Dragon’s Fury?).

I started warming up to it right as it was on the downswing so I ended up missing out.

Yeah everything about it was bad except... I've never played a game where I was as engaged in a competitive tournament scene and community as that. Every week I went to tournaments. I was part of establishing a meta of teams. I went to a different city at one point and grabbed a pick up game with their community and was recognized and we had immediate connection. It was everything I always wanted from a minis game on the tournament front, and I assume part of the reason for that was the very avaricious method of selling minis which gave the company enough money to run a community organization.

1295559400530.jpg

:x

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

1295559400530.jpg

:x

To be fair, this looked a lot better when they sketched it in their notebook when they were 13 years old.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Like, I'mma give y'all some history here

I got into BattleTech in the mid 90s, played it into the late 90s. I owned the Compendium: RoW, MaxTech, Tac Handbook, 4th edition, and TROs up through 3060. Early 00s I got way out of everything that wasn't the internet, so I just, like, stopped. Actually I remember joining an online RPG chat site and switching hard to World of Darkness.

My next interaction with BattleTech of any kind was MWO public beta, which my old laptop was too shitty to really run. Then I got back into MWO around the time the HBS game started being reported and rumored.

Then I bought the Beginner's Box & AGoAC right after this KS was announced.

I remember being aware of the fiction, and the end of Clan Invasion era, and Civil War being teased, and then next thing I knew MW:DA was already old news and the Jihad had come and gone and so I never really knew anything about Dark Age. I felt like the time skip was a little shark jumpy but I understood it, but I never really knew anything about MW:DA other than it was a Clix game and that made sense those were popular and oh everyone's shitting on it? Probably grognards hating on it because they made it approachable to a wider audience, oh well.

But

y'all

First Lord that thing is ugly.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
      If you really want wave 1 stuff, Miniature market has some stuff for pre order on their site at quite a reasonable price. But you'll have to wait a few months for delivery.

Oh my. This is up there with Front Mission on games I'll probably love to death.

kx3klFE.png
      Is there a MW:DA unit list? Like, somewhere I can see which mech lists were used in which booster packs?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
      Is there a MW:DA unit list? Like, somewhere I can see which mech lists were used in which booster packs?

I don't know if this gets you what you want, but it's got things searchable by faction or expansion.
      http://www.warrenborn.com/UnitSection.html

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

I don't know if this gets you what you want, but it's got things searchable by faction or expansion.
      http://www.warrenborn.com/UnitSection.html

A bunch of this stuff is from the era kinda well after the game was super popular, but it's still a solid looking list.

edited November 2020
      I couldn't help it. I had to sit here and think and remember my OG tournament list.

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D091
      ForestryMech MOD (Steel Wolves) - 104 points

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D105
      Janis Nova Cat (Arbalest) (Spirit Cats) - 122 points

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D022
      Gnome Battle Armor (Highlanders) x3 18pts/54pts

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D032
      Fox Armored Car (Highlanders) - 19 pts

For 299 pts of the 300 pt limit for tourneys. The Arbalest would hide in terrain and snipe, the Forestrymech would try to charge any big hitting mechs that I didn't want to counter snipe, and the Gnome Battle Armor would try really hard to capture an enemy mech, which basically ensured a win. Armored car would drive around like a dick.

Darkewolfe on
      I couldn't help it. I had to sit here and think and remember my OG tournament list.

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D091
      ForestryMech MOD (Steel Wolves) - 104 points

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D105
      Janis Nova Cat (Arbalest) (Spirit Cats) - 122 points

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D022
      Gnome Battle Armor (Highlanders) x3 18pts/54pts

http://www.warrenborn.com/Unit.php?ID=D032
      Fox Armored Car (Highlanders) - 19 pts

For 299 pts of the 300 pt limit for tourneys. The Arbalest would hide in terrain and snipe, the Forestrymech would try to charge any big hitting mechs that I didn't want to counter snipe, and the Gnome Battle Armor would try really hard to capture an enemy mech, which basically ensured a win. Armored car would drive around like a dick.

I loves me some ForestryMech MOD. It kinda kills me that its translation back to Classic was a bit haphazard.

*clears throat*

ba6ugk4cb4wk.png

'mechs

DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I saw this posted over on the official forums, and it's so good.

That's Timber Wolf is about to get fuckin' Falcon Punch'd by that Crusader, and it's great.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
      I'm actually really excited by the news that they're starting a plastics production company in the USA. Like, if I had a blank check to start a business, that's what I would've spent it on.

steam_sig.png
      Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
      Backlog Challenge List
      edited November 2020
      Ianator wrote: »
      I'm actually really excited by the news that they're starting a plastics production company in the USA. Like, if I had a blank check to start a business, that's what I would've spent it on.

For context for those who didn't see:
      we’ve never found a viable way to deliver unassembled or variant versions of our plastic miniatures… until now. Two of Catalyst’s very own–Art Director Brent Evans, and mainstay author Blaine Lee Pardoe–have teamed up to embark on a massive venture: creating a new plastic miniatures production company here in the United States.

This is going to be a massive adventure, and Catalyst is absolutely behind Brent & Blaine, as having a US-based company that can manufacturer high-quality, variant plastic miniatures–both assembled and unassembled–has long been gaming’s unreachable unicorn.

In the next couple of months they will produce the first two 'Mechs that will be offered through the Catalyst store: the Stormcrow TC and the “Clan Buster” Black Knight, both from the technical readout section of the Battle of Tukayyid campaign book above.

The miniatures team has authorized our sharing some behind-the-scenes peaks into the production efforts, starting with relatively raw shots of the designs as these variants were “pieced and parted,” as well as some of the first test prints. Worth noting is that the Stormcrow will have both the B variant, and TC (Tukayyid Configuration), whereas the Black Knight will have optional poses for forward leg and hands. Finally, we also feel its worth emphasising that these are not simply 3d printed models but instead will be fully cast, high-quality plastic miniatures.
      0cuc1ql0uue8.jpg
      pse5tbjx25ce.jpeg
      lr0d414i92sr.jpeg

Tox on
      Wow, holy shit. I'm super surprised by that; the startup costs on that kind of manufacturing are wild. Granted there are next to zero domestic manufacturers to compete against, but they're going to have to go much wider than just Battletech to expect to stay in business.

Good on 'em for trying, though!

Wow, holy shit. I'm super surprised by that; the startup costs on that kind of manufacturing are wild. Granted there are next to zero domestic manufacturers to compete against, but they're going to have to go much wider than just Battletech to expect to stay in business.

They could compete with hero forge, maybe

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
      If I can buy mech packs that include parts to pick and choose from while assembling, I'd be dropping a bucket full of cash their way.

kx3klFE.png
      If your code for the Battle of Tukayyid doesn't work, double check you have the store page set to PDF, not book. That appears to be an issue.

If you haven't yet gotten your email with the code. Well. That's what we in the Kickstarter call business as usual...

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

They could compete with hero forge, maybe

Eeeh, probably couldn't. Hero Forge is 3d printed on demand. The pics above are 3d printed examples, but they did clarify that what they are doing isn't 3d printing but casting. So that'd be a whole production line, molds, bulk orders, etc.

They can (and likely will) reach out to other tabletop game Devs and offer to make minis for them, but the big problem is China. Super-duper ridiculously cheap and if you don't care about quality it is gonna be hard to convince people to change. Even if the costs were comparable the initial cost to change over to another supplier would be quite high.

These fine folks will likely end up making minis for the rest of CGL's games or I'd imagine anyway. For the future though they may be better served reaching out to Devs who currently don't produce any minis for their games as opposed to ones who already do.

I mean there are reasons why there are so very, very, very, very few US (Hell, you can replace "US" with "outside of China") based companies that do this.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
      China quality has improved greatly in the past 15 years or so, as China standard of living has increased and the need to compete with international businesses requiring higher quality. US plastic miniature companies like Reaper buy their plastic models from China, and only produce metal stuff in the US.

Heffling wrote: »
      China quality has improved greatly in the past 15 years or so, as China standard of living has increased and the need to compete with international businesses requiring higher quality. US plastic miniature companies like Reaper buy their plastic models from China, and only produce metal stuff in the US.

I've been out of the loop since Bones 1, but wasn't the original point of Reaper's Kickstarters was so that they could invest in stateside plastic machining on top of the miniature deliveries from overseas?

Or did they realize they could just wear money hats instead, and keep sourcing cheaply-produced foreign product?