As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    I didn't, just went through the story missions (and a few side ones that were in my way). Showing that both 'Plus Plus' and the platinum popped at the same time too.

Yeah i had to redo the final mission for it to trigger. Its weird though as i got the pop up the first time saying it unlocked the trophy. Oh well, platinum achieved in either case!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright MM is great. So beautiful. The Venom powers are a great additions. The suit selection is great. Overall just more of a good thing and improved.

HOWEVER!!

Whoever thought of locking the top skills of every tree behind NG+ should be fired.

What the fuck is that garbage? And they just show them to you like "yea here's skills you can't actually use while playing through the story"

Normally the exciting thing about seeing the top skills is seeing the stuff you get to work to.

Having them just be locked off feels so BAD and stupid.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    It was an accident, I swear
    89gm2dd4gw93.jpg
    Better check the lethality settings on that suit, Pete

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Alright MM is great. So beautiful. The Venom powers are a great additions. The suit selection is great. Overall just more of a good thing and improved.

HOWEVER!!

Whoever thought of locking the top skills of every tree behind NG+ should be fired.

What the fuck is that garbage? And they just show them to you like "yea here's skills you can't actually use while playing through the story"

Normally the exciting thing about seeing the top skills is seeing the stuff you get to work to.

If it was a longer campaign I'd probably agree with you, but then I never felt like I was short of options on my playthrough.

I did enjoy how quickly you could go through unlocking the extra traversal skills because to me swinging around the city at high speed is the point of the game.

Also:

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I was kinda hoping the snow beneath it would melt but oh well, that's what spin-off's are for.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    That reminds me that I had a bug yesterday, coming out of a mission I think, where Pete was suddenly just a plain white cube

sliding around, jumping, shooting webs

(and then the game crashed completely)

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Any idea if the console breaking bugs of the game have been fixed? I had multiple hard locks on my PS5 the first few days of playing MM and haven't touched it since. I saw a few patches come through but I'm still nervous.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »

HOWEVER!!

If it was a longer campaign I'd probably agree with you, but then I never felt like I was short of options on my playthrough.

I did enjoy how quickly you could go through unlocking the extra traversal skills because to me swinging around the city at high speed is the point of the game.

Oh yea it's not about feeling short on options. The skill trees are pretty back-seat in these games anyway.

And if it were a bigger game/some kinda RPG then yea this would be a BIG bad no no.

But just because it's easy to overlook a a piece of dumb design doesn't stop it from being dumb.

But yes, it is much easier to overlook here. It's still bad that it even needs to be overlooked.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm playing through Spider-Man (Remastered) for the first time on PS5. I finished "And the Award Goes to" and I'm kind of confused about a main story thing
    So after the city hall bombing we get the official reveal that Martin Li seems to be running the Demons (which was entirely predictable after that conversation about the masks). As far as I could tell this was only revealed because we (as the player and maybe Miles?) see him. And I guess it was him on the phone with Osborn? Peter is unconscious the whole time the Demons are there as far as we know.

But then after the gameplay picks back up Peter is talking to I think Yuri and MJ both about tracking down Li, and I don't understand how or when he found out Li was involved. He also seems to have had zero reaction to finding out that this guy he admired, that both he and May work with, is apparently a criminal mastermind. Did I miss something? Because it seems like that whole reveal was super glossed over.

I'm so glad it wasn't just me. I do sometimes fall asleep while playing a video game if I'm very tired, but that was a huge surprise. Overall I'm really liking the story though, but yeah, that seems like a re-write gone sour.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I think I asked that question when I was first playing the game. At the time, I think I was told:
    that Peter caught a glimpse of Martin around that corner just before he got knocked out. Seems a weird way to introduce that, if it’s so easy to miss that that’s what’s happening.

Okay so I just unlocked the Vintage Comic Book Suit and for something that seems like it should be a goofy gimmick suit, it actually looks awesome a lot of the time. In some scenes the contrast between it and the rest of the world is really striking, in a great way. For example (late story spoilers)
    the big set pieces when you go to rescue Osborn from Li. Both the sequence chasing after phantom Li and the actual boss fight. The suit looks really good against everything else being more monochromatic and desaturated.
    2v3ljouqvoo0.jpg
    res3x7xjel0a.jpg

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So am I hearing right that they updated the trick system for Morales? That was my one letdown with the first Spider-man, that tricks weren't more robust and varied.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    So am I hearing right that they updated the trick system for Morales? That was my one letdown with the first Spider-man, that tricks weren't more robust and varied.

Yes but also not like a huge update.

It's still done the same way there are just more tricks that you can do by pressing more than one direction now. Like instead of just 4 directions you can also do like left > right and stuff like that.

The overall effect is still the same. But you do get some more animations. It's not like more important or any deeper or anything like that.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    It's way smoother between them though, plus you keep the pose as you swing away, so Miles is upside-down and swinging backwards half the time.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    You can also chain tricks longer if you do Venom Jumps, I believe. Completely impractical, but it's fun to do.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Finished the main story in Spider-Man Remastered tonight. Aside from the stuff mentioned before it was pretty good. Most of the villain stuff was fairly standard comic book movie type material, but still well-done. And it was nice to see an MJ who actually gets to do stuff.

Story stuff
    Li/Mister Negative has a cool villain aesthetic and I wasn't really familiar with him before. I only knew he'd be a villain because the game telegraphs it pretty hard as soon as you bring up the Demons. I guess he's newer in the comics? Anyway despite kind of fumbling his villain reveal I enjoyed the character and wouldn't mind seeing some more adaptations of him.

I think Otto's turn could have also been a little smoother (and it seems a little odd that Otto thinking Peter is Spidey's "suit guy" is almost never mentioned again and then at the very end Otto just knows that Pete is Spider-Man), but I liked the story nonetheless. The endgame helped, since along with being a good set piece, they do a pretty good job selling how desperate Peter is to save him and how hurt he is by what Otto's done.

That's another odd thing in the story -- the game's two main villains are both guys who Peter has a relationship with, who he trusts and admires, who both have an obsessive vendetta against Norman Osborn and become supervillains. Peter (and the game itself) acknowledge both individually but kind of downplays that it happens twice.

Is there any reason to try to get Ultimate on the training challenges in MM besides OCD and/or pride? I've managed to get at least one Spectacular in each and got the trophies for them, but the stealth ones are horrible for me, and if I can still get everything while skipping them, they can just stay there forever.

klemming wrote: »
    Is there any reason to try to get Ultimate on the training challenges in MM besides OCD and/or pride? I've managed to get at least one Spectacular in each and got the trophies for them, but the stealth ones are horrible for me, and if I can still get everything while skipping them, they can just stay there forever.

Let them stay. The rad suit is just for finishing them.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    New update for Miles Morales gives 60fps Ray Tracing option.

edited December 2020
    Huh. I wonder how they pulled that off. Seems like they'd have to make performance cuts somewhere to give it a steady 60fps, right?

EDIT: Sounds mostly like resolution changes, though I'm not seeing specifics. I'll have to try it out though, the ray tracing in Spiderman Remastered is real nice.

Icemopper on
    Just finished the story in Remastered, and it's been a tough year, and just today my family dog passed away, and you know what, fuck it, I'm crying because of Spider Man. That hit home, and it hit well. That was good.

And the last battle when you're on the edge of the building with ray tracing is just unreal cool looking.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Just finished the story in Remastered, and it's been a tough year, and just today my family dog passed away, and you know what, fuck it, I'm crying because of Spider Man. That hit home, and it hit well. That was good.

And the last battle when you're on the edge of the building with ray tracing is just unreal cool looking.

Sorry to hear about your dog Icemopper. That really sucks.

Thanks, sorry, didn't want to drag the thread down with that.

The story really got me, I think especially the pandemic atmosphere in the later parts of the game. Top that off with what I thought was excellent VA work for Parker and Octavius, and the emotional resonance just hit home. Can't wait to start Miles now.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Miles is pretty great. I never did play the original so now I’m thinking about upgrading to ultimate edition...

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Finished Spider-Man.. oh man that was so good. I can actually appreciate all the changes in Miles Morales now too. I'm glad I played through the original game first, despite saying otherwise a few pages ago. I do plan on going back and doing all the various side quests and such after I finish with MM though.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    I've now 100 percented Spider-Man Remastered. The only thing (I think?) I still have to do is the secret photo ops. In fact, while I was just swinging around looking for pictures to take, a nearby car chase popped up on my radar, and I guess I was close enough to "activate" it. But, you know, I was busy doing other stuff so I ignored it, and brushed off the notice that I'd failed to stop them.

And then a minute later Jameson comes on with a dude on the line talking about how he almost got killed and that he saw me but I did nothing. Thanks for the guilt trip, game!

City That Never Sleeps
    The last bit of content I did (which also hit the 100% mark) was Yuri's audio recording side mission. I...don't know that I like the direction they've gone here with Yuri.

I've still got half of the secret photos to take, and then I think I might take a Spider-break before playing Miles Morales.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm just starting on Spider-Man Remastered. I'm not very far, just at the part where you repair your suit. I'm having a hard time with the combat. Even the regular mooks that you run into at random on the street are giving me trouble, especially if they have a heavy with them or a lot of guns. Does this get easier as you unlock more skills, or am I just missing something fundamental here? I dodge like crazy but still seem to get beaned quite often.

Speaking of skills, are there any particular skills I should focus on unlocking first?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I'm just starting on Spider-Man Remastered. I'm not very far, just at the part where you repair your suit. I'm having a hard time with the combat. Even the regular mooks that you run into at random on the street are giving me trouble, especially if they have a heavy with them or a lot of guns. Does this get easier as you unlock more skills, or am I just missing something fundamental here? I dodge like crazy but still seem to get beaned quite often.

Speaking of skills, are there any particular skills I should focus on unlocking first?
    Gadgets are your friend. And anything that helps you get your gadgets back will pretty much keep you going as a walking trail of destruction (I have the suit mod that gives you back gadget ammo on a Finisher almost always equipped). Nearly all of the gadgets are wide area crowd control or instant KO tools. Unfortunately, this also means that you are going to be going back to that R1 weapon wheel a lot. A Web Bomb, Electric Web, or Suspension Matrix will keep a group locked down while you pummel them, while you can 1HKO a lot of things with Impact Web or the Trip Mines.

I'd also pick up other things that help you build Focus faster so you can get to Finishers quicker... once you unlock the top skill in Defender (the one that allows you to do two Finishers for the price of one Focus bar), all you need to do is have some Focus to take out two guys. You are invulnerable during the animation of a Finisher, which helps out quite a bit.

Most encounters, I throw a Suspension Matrix, then start wailing on the enemies in the air (there's a skill that increases Focus for air attacks, which gets you to a finisher by the end of the 2nd suspended bad guy). If there are distant attackers, they will be shooting firearms, so while I'm Air attacking, I am watching for red lines/Spider-Sense to dodge. If I don't have a Suspension Matrix, then I use Electric Web, then Web Bombs (Web Bomb followed by Concussive Blast = multiple webbed enemies for instant KO).

I'm not sure when you earn these various Gadgets, as it's been a while. But if you don't have any AoE, don't be afraid to spend Impact Webs or Trip Mines to thin out the herd. Every enemy you eliminate quickly makes a fight that much easier.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Yeah it gets easier as you get more upgrades, then they pump the difficulty with mobs having different immunities to your skills making you switch things up and stay aware of who you're fighting and how best to disable them

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    It got easier for me after just practicing with it. I was overwhelmed with what was on screen but eventually it all clicked, and I realized what was useful for different situations. Practice is the big thing for me. Didn't do too much on gadgets except the main web shooter, just because you can stick any stunned enemy to a surface if they're near enough. The others were nice for support, but I just didn't do much with them outside stealth challenges.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Stay moving, and always throw stuff with L1 + R1 if you can to give yourself time to think.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Is there any good way to just practice the combat system?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I don't remember any tutorial-type places (having just finished the game), but if you've unlocked bases (or combat challenges) AFAIK you can play through them as many times as you want, win or lose.

You can also always just practice by looking around for street crimes (which are generally much less intense than bases), with the only penalty for losing being that you'll need to go find another one and it'll probably be a different kind.

edited December 2020
    'Dodging like crazy' might be the significant flaw here. I got into this after the Arkham games, where the counter icon was a guaranteed safety the moment you hit the button, but it doesn't work like that here. If you dodge as soon as the blue sense appears, they'll usually have enough time to readjust their aim and hit you anyway. You'll be better off if you treat the blue sense as a warning, then dodge when it turns red (or at least when you can see they're just about to hit you). That'll give you perfect dodges which'll actually protect you.

edit: I can't stress getting the timing on perfect dodges enough. Late game practically demands it unless you really want to have a bad time. Easiest way to learn is to find a crime and get them down to one or two guys, then just stop attacking and dodge until you've got it down (one melee and one shooter will give you decent practice without feeling overwhelmed).

For skills and abilities, I'd say to build on that. There are skills/suit mods that give you a larger window to hit a perfect dodge, and ones that increase your damage/slow time after you get one, along with setting up an instant takedown of smaller shooters.

For general fighting, you want to stay in the air as much as possible. You do more damage, and less people can hit you. Hold square to launch someone, then you can get airborne and stay there. Holding square while in the air gives you a swing kick that's nearly a guaranteed knockout if you're fighting on a roof. But the important thing is to stay aware of incoming attacks, as shooters won't be polite and wait their turn to take a shot at you until you finish with a combo, so Always Be Ready To Dodge.

If you get the opportunity, webbing someone up and throwing them into any solid object should be enough to take them out of the fight.

Anyone who blocks your attacks you can generally get around by attack then dodge to zip behind them (also a good move in general as it throws off everyone's aim).

More advanced enemies generally have some gimmick that stops this flow, so you'll want to focus on removing them as complications:
    Big guys are just like Fisk; web/stun them with gadgets or thrown objects, attack, repeat.
    Whip guys are the enemies anti-air, there to keep you on the ground and punish you if you don't. If you can focus on them you can wait for a perfect dodge, then pound on them. Otherwise you can try to build up enough focus for a takedown.

Experiment with gadgets (the levitation one is an excellent one when you're feeling overwhelmed, as it takes several people out of the fight and makes them an easy target).

For practice, find a base (a Fisk one will have less annoying types) and repeat as needed.

klemming on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Spider-Man 2, featuring Miles Morales, Kraven the Hunter, and Venom:

https://youtu.be/qIQ3xNqkVC4

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I think that trailer gives a pretty good indication that there will be some sort of Co Op

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Hopefully at some point Insomniac does a Spider-Gwen game. That's be great for another standalone expansion. Kinda like how Miles was basically Spider-Man 1.5. They could do a Spider-Gwen and make it 2.5.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Spider-Man 2, featuring Miles Morales, Kraven the Hunter, and Venom:

https://youtu.be/qIQ3xNqkVC4

I could barely keep from cursing loudly when the date at the end of the trailer appeared. It’s still sooner than I was expecting but I can’t wait.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It seems like Part 2 is going to reveal some pretty important information.