As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm aching all over and I can't tell if it's illness onset or just my body being wrecked from work. Also my face is exploding from wearing a mask for 8 hours a day. I'm starting to think having a job is just bad for me.

Work sucks! It really sucks!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Sigh. Woke up and got dressed and was maybe five minutes out of town before I remembered I don't have to work today.

Even without the holiday I would still not have had to work today!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I got up really early this morning to go and train outside and it was cold and my fingers and toes hurt and everything sucked and I was shit, and then I got in and my porridge boiled over and spilled, and I had run out of loo roll, and the new razor blades I got don't fit with my razor handle, and my internet connection is janky, and I drafted a big email and then lost it without saving it, all of which sucks

Upside; still never voted Tory

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I'm aching all over and I can't tell if it's illness onset or just my body being wrecked from work. Also my face is exploding from wearing a mask for 8 hours a day. I'm starting to think having a job is just bad for me.

I switch to a fresh mask halfway through the day because 8 hours in the same mask is just too much. And do make sure you’re wearing a new or at least freshly washed mask every day. It’s tempting to reuse a mask if you’re pretty sure you aren’t sick, but reusing without washing will definitely do bad skin things. If you can get your hands on some tea tree oil, it is excellent for helping clear up skin quickly.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    old job won't let my last day land on a holiday, and i don't really want to push back my start day at new job, so i guess i'm just gonna have my last day be two weeks from now and ride out december with my PTO payout. I don't plan on traveling but i will thoroughly enjoy having 3 weeks of not worrying about anything at all!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fingers are messed up again this morning. Haven't repeated the task I thought caused it last time, so I guess it's just from lifting things. Unfortunate as I can't exactly take a break from lifting heavy things, that is most of the job. So I just have to hope it's not permanently fucking my hand up I suppose.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Fingers are messed up again this morning. Haven't repeated the task I thought caused it last time, so I guess it's just from lifting things. Unfortunate as I can't exactly take a break from lifting heavy things, that is most of the job. So I just have to hope it's not permanently fucking my hand up I suppose.

My parents used to run a business that required maintaining a warehouse filled with merchandise that belonged to their clients and shipping it out as needed. Most of their employees stayed with them for many years, even though their work involved a lot of unloading trucks and moving heavy things while preparing shipments. I did a lot of work for them over my teen years, and also spent some time as a package handler (aka truck unloader) for FedEx later on and never had any hand problems. It's probably just something your body isn't used to. I doubt long-term warehouse/shipping labor is good for a body, but it's not inherently something that would be fucking up your hand.

I hope things improve for you soon though :(

Ketar on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Director on slack at 8:30pm: hey can we chat about project you've been stressing over in the morning?

Me: sure!

Guess I'm getting a bollocking? A night of worrying for me !

Director in the morning: what? No I don't need to talk to you about it, send it out

Hmmm.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Director on slack at 8:30pm: hey can we chat about project you've been stressing over in the morning?

Me: sure!

Guess I'm getting a bollocking? A night of worrying for me !

Director in the morning: what? No I don't need to talk to you about it, send it out

Hmmm.

Classic thoughtless management move that

Telling someone you need to have a quick chat "tomorrow" or "next monday" when it's friday night or something. Do it now! People worry! And also if you do need to correct someone, tell them first thing in the morning at the beginning of the week, so they can crack straight on with showing you they're turning it around.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I think the Ents were marching yesterday. A total of 3 people ran their cars into trees and one into a bush.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I think the Ents were marching yesterday. A total of 3 people ran their cars into trees and one into a bush.

I think Thanksgiving is miserable for every job tangential to emergency/essential services, bar none.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am at work today. And I don't mind! When I did retail I worked every Black Friday.

Today however I am the only one working in my group, and the whole campus is closed, so I'm mostly here to put out fires. So I get paid to sit here and watch TV and hit refresh on our ticket queue every half hour or so.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    There's a guy at my work who looks a lot like Jerry Holkins. Enough that my brain keeps trying to trick me into believing his name is really Jerry because I don't know his actual name.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    After hours are 10am to noon?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    After hours are 10am to noon?

on a saturday, sure

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Taking advantage of some overtime/holiday pay myself today.

Except I chose to sleep in a bit before coming in, and whoops it turns out there's only one other person here with me right now. And plant safety standards mean we have to have two people here at all times in the event of an emergency, and the other guy is going to head home soon. So maybe an hour and change of work today for me?

Probably going to try and get here earlier tomorrow to see if anyone more is here and what more time I can grab.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    It's been the kind of week where you don't realise how hard you've worked until it stops. I've been concentrating really hard and it kind caught up with me about lunchtime, I dropped about 40 points in whatever intelligence index you favour and started making "first week in his first job" kind of dumb mistakes, each one costing me time that I really kinda wanted-needed-promised to spend on other tasks.

I'm too tired to even order takeaway. I am just sipping wine and flicking through my music looking for something I have the energy to listen to. My one success. Don't judge me, it's a modern classic.

I don't even have it remotely as hard as some of the good people who post in here, looking at you, guy who worked in the chemicals place, god damb, fuck that shit you had to endure with fifty elephant dicks! I don't have it even one pachyderm penis as bad as you, but I'm wiped enough for me to feel it.

Also Scotland is fucking dark, and its cold, and I've been in solitary since March except for one week when I could visit my brother. That shit isn't helping.

Edit: @PiptheFair reminded me about the Cocteau Twins. Now I can listen to something.

V1m on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    So our northern California hospital is starting to blow up with covid patients. It's going to be an absolute shit show in a week when all the people who got infected at Thanksgiving start to show symptoms.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The entire country is going to get fucked from Thanksgiving, Christmas stuff is going to be a bonus round combo multiplier that ends with an overflow error.

The hospitals in both okc and tulsa are already at max capacity, shit is going to be very bad here in a couple weeks. There aren't really any other metros to send patients to.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The thing our public health official for the county kept saying is "if you want a safe Thanksgiving don't do stupid shit on Halloween. If you want a safe Christmas don't do stupid shit on Thanksgiving"

well we fucked around and will get to find out

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So our northern California hospital is starting to blow up with covid patients. It's going to be an absolute shit show in a week when all the people who got infected at Thanksgiving start to show symptoms.

North central? east? Hospital system where I work was at 110% capacity last Wednesday

Surgery recovery areas are being converted to inpatient areas and surgeries are being postponed

This was before Thanksgiving

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular

North central? east? Hospital system where I work was at 110% capacity last Wednesday

Surgery recovery areas are being converted to inpatient areas and surgeries are being postponed

This was before Thanksgiving

My hospital in WA is in the same shape. Peak volumes aren't expected until Feb.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's coming up Milhouse!
    We have a rumored 3rd and 4th cases and it's chaos at work! no manager is stepping up to dispel the rumors or to calm the people
    I at least tried.....

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    As a lava-blooded Slav, I have spent my life dealing with a basically unanswerable question: "Where's your coat?" Generally asked in tones of horror as though I were beginning a solo hike to the north pole instead of walking thirty feet from a heated building to a heated car in 50 degree weather.

I was asked the question again last night as we closed down the library. And, loopy from travel and tryptophan hangover, I blurted a good answer for the very first time.

"I dunno, man. Off doing coat stuff, I guess."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Had a long chat with my dad. He's been retired for five years now - he was the head IT guy at his company. He was never a programmer, but was always very interested in it, so that's what he's dabbling with since he retired, and isn't doing overkill home automation experiments like "set up alerts that trigger when the mailbox opens", because why not.

I didn't quite get what he's trying to accomplish right now, but he'd draw a schematic of things he wanted to communicate with eachother and we'll see how much consulting I'll be doing on this.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    As a lava-blooded Slav, I have spent my life dealing with a basically unanswerable question: "Where's your coat?" Generally asked in tones of horror as though I were beginning a solo hike to the north pole instead of walking thirty feet from a heated building to a heated car in 50 degree weather.

I was asked the question again last night as we closed down the library. And, loopy from travel and tryptophan hangover, I blurted a good answer for the very first time.

OMG my life is the same. I grew up in Maine which does get cold from time to time. I'd be clearing out snow at work when i did shipping and receiving, or even at home and people would be like arent you cold? Like no im not, im shoveling slush and its hard work and all i need are my gloves. People also look at you weird when you are snowboarding on a small local mountain in a tshirt and snowpants. I lament that the temperature is going in the wrong direction in the world, because i struggle in the heat. I hate oklahoma.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

OMG my life is the same. I grew up in Maine which does get cold from time to time. I'd be clearing out snow at work when i did shipping and receiving, or even at home and people would be like arent you cold? Like no im not, im shoveling slush and its hard work and all i need are my gloves. People also look at you weird when you are snowboarding on a small local mountain in a tshirt and snowpants. I lament that the temperature is going in the wrong direction in the world, because i struggle in the heat. I hate oklahoma.

Yep, I no longer am allowed to give opinions on how cold is it as my comfort level is 10-15 degrees lower than others

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I decided to finally do some very boring tasks I've been putting off for way too long. Prepared everything I needed aaaand my phone provider is having issues with text messaging and all the clients I need to work with have 2-factor auth via text.
    So now I'm doing nothing.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

me absolutely too. we are bruddas from anudda mudda

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    One of our seniors that graduated in May died of Covid-19 about a week ago.

Fuck everything.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    One of our seniors that graduated in May died of Covid-19 about a week ago.

Fuck everything.

no words, just bro-fists and validation. It is exactly as maddening and stupid as you think it is. Which isn't helpful, but at least it's not gas-lighting. :bigfrown:

The rumor is now we have 8 cases at our store but the state is not closing us down because we are essential. {they closed two of the near by hell known to men so we are a island }

As I said in the quarantine thread
    I forgot what time I went to lunch so I went to check and saw I had 7 minutes left. I thought I will check something on my phone and next thing I know I am being helped off the floor 4 minutes later
    I am mentally out of it since like I have been up for days. I have no idea what happened

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn dude did you faint?

I don't know as it was scene missing
    I felt where I fell on my left knee left shoulder and the left check bone I was told I was quite pale
    I have no idea what happened

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I felt where I fell on my left knee left shoulder and the left check bone I was told I was quite pale

Take care of yourself, man.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    First day back at work since the 19th due to non-covid death plague. My god it's full of emails.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also, I think I'm just getting paid without having to use any PTO since I was actually tested and quarantined.

Having some existential woes today. Wish I knew how to get my life in order.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Take care of yourself, man.

I gotta go a step beyond this and say I know it’s probably difficult for you to do but you should probably go to the doctor if you’re not sleeping for days and passing out suddenly.

This discussion has been closed.