As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    New teaser:
    NKBHPEwS8oguozRx.jpg

My guess is Skrull Halfheight, the undead dwarven thrower

Hmmm, I was thinking that wildly inaccurate might not be that bad because if carefuly positioned some of your own players coud try a pass interference to catch the ball. The Interference rules are pretty clear though that you can only try it during an opponent's pass.

We'll see if there's going to be an FAQ for wildly inaccurate. At the moment passing seems just like so much of a liability, even for "passing" with dedicated throwers.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    It’s one of those those things that will only really effect a small number of team’s regularly. Most of the popular teams almost never passed to begin with as it stands the only time I think it would effect me is when I throw a goblin .

It's a bit confusing though because GW talked a bunch about improving passing and making throwers more relevant and some throwers got improved passing characteristics compared to before but on the other hand passing got even more risky than before unless you throw quick passes.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Well, I think the new edition's move to separating passing from agility may substantially shake up how much passing happens.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Well, I think the new edition's move to separating passing from agility may substantially shake up how much passing happens.

For the elf teams it will be reduced a lot. Like the union thing with two NoS catchers throwing pass from wherever to wherever is dead. Passing is for dedicated throwers now, and some of these are now actually better than before, like the human thrower.

But with wildly inaccurate how it seems to work I don't see these dedicated throwers throw much more than quick or short passes. That plus the two new teams in the season 2 box and skills like fumblerooskie give me the first impression that this season looks a bit more like rugby than American football than before maybe

It’s always been more rugby , otherwise you couldn’t throw the ball forward after passing the line of scrimmage , have the down system , trolls punting goblin for field goals etc .

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    It’s always been more rugby , otherwise you couldn’t throw the ball forward after passing the line of scrimmage , have the down system , trolls punting goblin for field goals etc .

Well, you can't really throw the ball forward at all in rugby.

Really ? Why did I think you could? I’ve only seen a few rugby games ever and it’s chaotic enough that I didn’t really get a sense of the rules.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Really ? Why did I think you could? I’ve only seen a few rugby games ever and it’s chaotic enough that I didn’t really get a sense of the rules.

Yeah, throwing the ball forward in rugby is a foul. Kicking it though… actually technically it’s throwing the ball forward and having it be caught by someone on your team is a foul. Throwing it to the opposition is just stupid.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited November 2020
    Also, BB SSE get!
    It arrived earlier and I’ve mostly been filling in the slots in the bases with sections of sprue from the referees because I hate myself.
    Also technically I’m “at work” so I can’t be doing anything too complicated or distracting.

Mr_Rose on
    I didn't have time to collect my box today. Gotta get it tomorrow like some pleb. Wanna build those orcs.

People really turned around on the Black orcs as a team . Everyone went from slower lizard joke team to they have potential . By everyone of course I mean general impressions I saw around the internet . Probably doesn't hurt that they look super cool.

Yeah, they’re actually pretty good. 2 MA for Grab and Brawler is a trade I’ll make any day. But Blorcs with skinks instead of goblins? Oh myyy…

Also, looks like team card packs include unique special plays now; the rules in the set say you treat the new ones as separate decks to choose from when selecting your special play inducements and that they are team-exclusive. Like the Necromantic Horror set directly references Wraiths, Zombies, and Werewolves as targets for the play.

The team rerolls section is weirdly written, or totally different now. It says you get used rerolls back at the start of the second half but unused RRs don't carry over.so if you don't use any in the first half, you don't get any in the second half?

Also no 1RR limit per turn anymore.

honovere wrote: »
    The team rerolls section is weirdly written, or totally different now. It says you get used rerolls back at the start of the second half but unused RRs don't carry over.so if you don't use any in the first half, you don't get any in the second half?

Also no 1RR limit per turn anymore.

I'm pretty sure these are just oversights that are going to get FAQ'd sooner or later.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    That sounds like a wording issue. They may want to emphasize that you don't get more rerolls than your team has by saving them from the first half. Like, if your team has 3 and you only use 1 in the first half, you don't have 5 to use in the second half.

edited November 2020
    It definitely needs a FAQ but I’m pretty sure it wants to mean “you don’t get the re-rolls you didn’t use in the first half in addition to the replenished set” i.e. you can’t start with four, use two, and begin the second half with six. Which is an arcane reading of “replenish” to be sure. Same way it says unused re-rolls don’t carry over to the next game in a league either.

As for the 1/turn limit being gone… I’m not sure that’s a mistake.

Edit: also, what’s your opinion on my rules query above re: multiple block, now you have the book in hand?

Mr_Rose on
    They should have just written that you start every halt with all your RRs and unused don't get carried over. GW should hire some technical writers I think to untangle a lot of their weird grammar in the books

edited November 2020
    They should have just written that you start every halt with all your RRs and unused don't get carried over. GW should hire some technical writers I think to untangle a lot of their weird grammar in the books

Yeah, they definitely need one or two people to do all the technical writing for everything and create a flipping style guide as well. Like every mechanic that changes the number of dice a Ld test is rolled on should have the “roll an extra die then discard the highest/lowest” format rather than the “roll 3d6 and discard” format so they are all compatible with each other should multiple come into play.

EDIT: Anyone assembling the BB SSE box; when you get to the troll, DON’T use part 18 (the goblin head) instead, try part 35 from the Black Orc team sprue. It’s an alternate head for one of the gobbo bruisers and it fits like it was meant to be.

Mr_Rose on
    I've been looking for gloomspite bitz and empire bitz for some conversions and maybe build two more bodyguards but the bitz market, especially for AoS, is a desert.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I've been looking for gloomspite bitz and empire bitz for some conversions and maybe build two more bodyguards but the bitz market, especially for AoS, is a desert.

If importing from France isn't a problem for you I've been using this seller to source Empire bits for my project.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    My Zolcath arrived today and he’s great; goes together really well with an absolute minimum of trimming and filling. Gorgeous sculpt too.

Is that the centaur lizard thing ? Are you using him as a star player or using him as a stand in for some big guy.

edited November 2020
    Is that the centaur lizard thing ? Are you using him as a star player or using him as a stand in for some big guy.

Probably as Zolcath himself because he’s pretty rad but mostly because it’s a fantastic mini and now I own two Zoats.

EDIT: also, I forgot to mention that the little paper assembly guide in the pack has Zolcath’s history and career highlights on it. I thought that was a nice little touch. Hopefully the way of the future too, particularly for the Star Players in the rule book, who get no fluff development at all.

Seriously, he has the best named rule in the game: “Excuse me, are you a Zoat?”

Mr_Rose on
    Also got Akhorne in that special ‘free treeman’ deal they have on now.

I finally got a shipping notification for my pre-order stuff. I guess I really should have just gone through my FLGS this time, but they've gotten a little spotty about supporting Blood Bowl recently, so I went through GW instead. Lesson learned!

Rules question: a standing player hit by an exploding bomb is Knocked Down. Being Knocked Down means you are Placed Prone and must make an armour roll and may suffer an injury.
    Any player hit by an exploding bomb must make an armour roll and may suffer an injury.
    Does this mean a standing player that gets exploded must take two armour rolls an potentially be injured twice? Once for being KD’d and once (with mighty blow) for the actual explosion, I mean.

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Rules question: a standing player hit by an exploding bomb is Knocked Down. Being Knocked Down means you are Placed Prone and must make an armour roll and may suffer an injury.
    Any player hit by an exploding bomb must make an armour roll and may suffer an injury.
    Does this mean a standing player that gets exploded must take two armour rolls an potentially be injured twice? Once for being KD’d and once (with mighty blow) for the actual explosion, I mean.

The video game only rolls once so I’m guessing that it , otherwise bombers would be much much more popular.

edited December 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

The video game only rolls once so I’m guessing that it , otherwise bombers would be much much more popular.

The video game is based on the 2016 edition which is worded differently and says that everyone hit is treated as though they had been knocked down even if they were already prone or stunned. Hence my question, considering the change in verbiage.

The other thing about Bombardiers in 2016 that makes them less than effective is that a high-Ag team will just throw it back. Added to that, most teams with bombers are low-Ag to boot, making re-returning the bomb unlikely…. SSE introduced a 4+ roll to return a caught bomb or have it go off in your hands.

EDIT speaking of bombers, the Black Gobbo has Bombardier but not Secret Weapon. I guess he’s just that sneaky!

Mr_Rose on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular

It does cut down on some of the high agil passing bs if you need specific passers to do it well. At least you know better who to watch for.

I have had just an absolutely brutal season playing Norse. I could never get ahead of the curve at all, never had any spare money, key players spent games injured or dead. Finally thought I had a great match up today to coast back a bit, and my first block, first turn with my mighty blow yhetee was skull both down, rerolled to skull both down, killed my yhetee, apoth to MNG. And then his first turn he took out my dauntless runner MNG. I'd already come into the game with an ulfwerener out so this pretty much nixed my ability to deal with his guard mummies and it was a slow, plodding attempt to go for a tie without dying. Ended up with a loss instead of tie on a last turn touchdown.

Oof. Just oof.

I have had just an absolutely brutal season playing Norse. I could never get ahead of the curve at all, never had any spare money, key players spent games injured or dead. Finally thought I had a great match up today to coast back a bit, and my first block, first turn with my mighty blow yhetee was skull both down, rerolled to skull both down, killed my yhetee, apoth to MNG. And then his first turn he took out my dauntless runner MNG. I'd already come into the game with an ulfwerener out so this pretty much nixed my ability to deal with his guard mummies and it was a slow, plodding attempt to go for a tie without dying. Ended up with a loss instead of tie on a last turn touchdown.

Oof. Just oof.

It’s what makes av7 teams so hard to play long term . It’s also what happened to av9 teams the instant they ran into kill chaos teams . I’m so glad MB and claw don’t stack anymore, and that piling on is a foul action now .

I'm used to playing elves, but I guess the trap of bashiness has made me not as good at my elf instincts of "fuck no I'm not leaving ANY blocks for you" haven't paid off.

edited December 2020
    My Blood Bowl stuff finally(!) arrived today, and I've been eagerly rummaging through it. This box set is such a better deal than the first one. Also, the new style for all the illustrations has totally won me over now that I see it in person. It reminds me older indie comics like 2000 AD or Tank Girl. An almost punk vibe that gels really well with Blood Bowl.

Anyway this is the first time I've put together the BB Troll, and while it isn't my favorite pose of all time, the kit itself is really cleverly designed and putting it together was quite satisfying.

I'm probably also going to turn the included Griff into a Blitzer for the Noble team, and in turn convert one of the Blitzers into another retainer lineman. That should bring the total number of players in the team to 14 with the Ogre, which is a pretty comfortable maximum (and I already have a figure for Griff).

BloodySloth on
    Wouldn't it make more sense to turn a Blitzer into a bodyguard?

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I am also putting my stuff together and Holy Moley Varag is a large boi. He makes the Ogre look underfed.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    He's a beast in his rules, too.
    Strength 5 now and once per game +1 on the armour roll. And 10k less than before.

edited December 2020
    Wouldn't it make more sense to turn a Blitzer into a bodyguard?

Doesn't the set already come with a full complement of Bodyguards? I actually haven't started cutting into the sprues yet, so I just assumed.

BloodySloth on
    edited December 2020
    No, only two bodyguards in there.

In terms of sprues and customizing the orcs come out way ahead in the box. Both star player and bigguy are two sprue kits compared two the single sprue imperial versions and the orcs get all positionals and head variants for every model. Imps are missing two bodyguards and get no alternative heads

honovere on