As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Elven Accent [chat]

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I saw mommy pegging Santa Claus

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Well I’d love to stay and chat but I have to get back to work. My characters aren’t going to equip themselves with the best armor before tackling the final boss

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    You gotta hand it to them. Trump & co really know how to drag out a loss and make it extra satisfying.
    Satisfying is certainly one word for it.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    there are certainly chiropractors that don't believe in the woo shit and think it's practicing medicine but i dunno if that's better

Is it so much to ask to find chiropractor with absolutely no self respect, who understands their entire profession is basically placebo, talk therapy, and advanced massage, who will debase themselves and tell me I am very smart while also doing complete nonsense to my body that I have requested and paid for?

In that case, why not just go see a physical therapist?

because physical therapists are like dripping olive oil in your ear and chiropractors are like those youtube videos where an ENT gets in there with a scope and some scrapey tools and goes to town

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    butts

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Boston townie
    Yeah we still have a lingering malaise, like a persistent dry cough after clearing a chest infection

It won’t be over until Biden swears on the Bible and trump vacated the White House

Of course he would deny us that smooth, clean transition

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    to me, it's like the part of the chest infection where you start expectorating perfect coagulated mucous casts of your bronchial tubes

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This guy on Only Connect is infuriating. He’s the captain and the least decisive person on the team. The woman on his right is constantly grinding her teeth in frustration.

How the fuck do contestants still end up endlessly talking over options on the wall instead of trying stuff?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    The Chriomancer

only performs back cracking based magicks

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Irish/Gaelic
    Bogart wrote: »
    This guy on Only Connect is infuriating. He’s the captain and the least decisive person on the team. The woman on his right is constantly grinding her teeth in frustration.

How the fuck do contestants still end up endlessly talking over options on the wall instead of trying stuff?

Speaking of, I started last episode just wanting to hug Mitch Benn, but fuck me he was on fire for Missing Vowels

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    So, I ordered a headset and 2 computer fans for my brother for Xmas. He received them today... and got 2 headsets and 4 fans. I double checked my order history and credit card, and I was still only charged for the original order.

Somehow, my brother got the magical double rainbow order. :P

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Camille has ruined her hair in series three of Dix Per Cent. Ruined!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Ok so this is why PC gaming is kind of annoying. I fired up Katana Zaero and for some reason the game seemed to be in slow motion. Whatever. I quit and tried Forza instead. Instead of the 110-130 FPS I was getting, now it’s 8 and the entire game is moving in slow mo.

A reboot did nothing. Nothing has changed.

Turns out the video setting were set to lock at 30. Changed it to variable and now everything is fine again.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    RDR2 has chores in it

Not, like, “oh these side quests are goddamn tedious” chores

Well yes those too

But actual chores. Feeding horses. Cleaning a kitchen. Chopping wood.
    hmm that sounds good, is there a version with just the chores and without all the action

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    Daytime tv is tragic

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Lately the worst part of PC gaming to me has been audio settings

Just constant failures and conflicts

Evil Multifarious on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Japanese
    Six wrote: »
    I wish RDR2 wasn't a prequel because it really looks like a game I would haven't gotten down with.

But now there's also so many great games coming out that I don't have to worry about filling time for a awhile.

I played SO MUCH vidya this long weekend.

I finished Yakuza 7 (which was ~80 hours from 10th to the 27th jeez), played through all of Miles Morales to 100% and started up Valhalla which i was able to put 10 hours into(and only just finished the prologue and got the title screen..).

The fact that there are folks out there who manage to put in this much time on the regular makes me quite jelly. It's been nice.

Out of curiosity, why does it being a prequel matter?

Knowing where a story/characters end up due to being a direct prequel kinda kills a lot of the enjoyment for me.

What makes me love a game is the sense of discovery and really getting into the world and the happenings.

But a lot of that gets killed when I've already played what has happened afterwards. For a little action game or whatever it wouldn't matter as much. But for a game where the point is getting lost in it and immersed then it has a huge impact.

DemonStacey on
    Boston townie
    Ok so this is why PC gaming is kind of annoying. I fired up Katana Zaero and for some reason the game seemed to be in slow motion. Whatever. I quit and tried Forza instead. Instead of the 110-130 FPS I was getting, now it’s 8 and the entire game is moving in slow mo.

Turns out the video setting were set to lock at 30. Changed it to variable and now everything is fine again.

Come on man thats nothing to the good old days of editing your autoexec.bat

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Lately the worst part of PC gaming to me has been audio settings

Just constant failures and conflicts
    It is 100% worth it to ditch the HD Audio drivers and also not to use the onboard soundcard for pretty much any motherboard, because Realtek just blows chunks. At the very least, get a Sabrent USB Audio dongle for $8 (USD). There are some good DACs out there for less than $50. Or, if you record music of any kind, just go with an audio interface that you're going to need anyway.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic

For some reason, this very basic shit has never, EVER worked consistently across games, Windows versions, and graphics drivers. It's a real mystery because it's not some niche special hardware feature that came out last year. Games rendering at a frame rate and delivering those frames to a display refreshing at a different rate has been the case since the beginning of time.

And if the game messed up and configured to 30 FPS locked then that's on the game, but for the game to configure to 30FPS locked and then poop the bed and render at 8 FPS with game logic slowdown is just baffling, because you know they didn't ship the game behaving that way. And it probably worked previously without the game's code changing. The graphics drivers just change behavior randomly, with absolutely no consistency from release to release.

There should be something like the Acid test for browsers, but for DirectX, OpenGL, Mantle, etc to ensure that a driver complies with how these APIs have defined various features to actually work. But in 30 years nobody seems to have done that.

Donkey Kong on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    tmdzpbp7arfl.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Japanese
    uwuuuuuuuuuuuu

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    This is apparently uncommon but my biggest peeve in games is audio device enumeration. Every single time I boot my gaming PC and launch a game, I have to go into the game's audio settings and tell it to output to my headphones, please.

Not my Jabra speakerphone, not the headset port on my 360 controller, not the optical out digital audio device that has never been plugged into anything, not either of my monitors which each have an audio out jack for the HDMI signal. THE HEADPHONES. WHICH ARE BOTH THE DEFAULT DEVICE AND WHICH THE GAME HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN CONFIGURED TO USE.

All of those other devices get assigned to audio out of every game, seemingly at random. Sometimes I hear windows, mid-game, make the device added chime, and then audio cuts out and it gets assigned to one of the above devices. It's fucking maddening. It happens to discord too, though not as often. Usually discord manages to remember its settings, but sometimes it sets my audio input to the mic in my webcam, which results in massive feedback screeching at my friends.

In all, audio device behavior on windows: -3 / 10, would hurl into a volcano.

Donkey Kong on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    I hate it

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I am so pissed at my audio drivers. The pc wants to default to dolby atmos for speakers, but that kills centered voice(is watching twitch). So I turn that off and everything is fine until I put the laptop to sleep, and then I lose like half my volume output! To fix it is simply switching audio modes again, but it is annoying.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    This is apparently uncommon but my biggest peeve in games is audio device enumeration. Every single time I boot my gaming PC and launch a game, I have to go into the game's audio settings and tell it to output to my headphones, please.

Not my Jabra speakerphone, not the headset port on my 360 controller, not the optical out digital audio device that has never been plugged into anything, not either of my monitors which each have an audio out jack for the HDMI signal. THE HEADPHONES. WHICH ARE BOTH THE DEFAULT DEVICE AND WHICH THE GAME HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN CONFIGURED TO USE.

All of those other devices get assigned to audio out of every game, seemingly at random. Sometimes I hear windows, mid-game, make the device added chime, and then audio cuts out and it gets assigned to one of the above devices. It's fucking maddening. It happens to discord too, though not as often. Usually discord manages to remember its settings, but sometimes it sets my audio input to the mic in my webcam, which results in massive feedback screeching at my friends.

Agree. Constant problem for me, too.

Also: Microsoft Teams does this. The audio device setting never sticks. And I know it's not just me, because I often encounter other people who struggle with it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    7knczos1ve261.jpg

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    I wrote a small C# app that output audio on Windows, and to achieve consistent behavior this is all I had to do:
    1. Default to the "default" output device, setting some special config flag meaning default
    2. Provide a list of all enumerated audio devices in a dropdown to the user
    3. If the user selects a new device, store this selection in a config file, and clear the default flag
    4. Store the selected audio device by name!!!!! Not by ID in the list or UUID or device path or some fucking other insane nonsense.
    5. On the events app launch and available audio devices changed, scan all available devices and try to connect the device in your config by name. If the named device is not present, or the default flag is set, use the default device but do not update the config.

That's it. THAT'S FUCKING IT. It's perfection. It's flawless. It's the god-delivered, jesus-absolves-mankind-of-all-sin-and-throws-open-the-gates-of-heaven behavior. And it's nearly unbelievable how many games fuck up points 4 and 5.

Donkey Kong on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    I only hear Bohemian Rhapsody is the toads sings voice now

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Boston townie
    I wonder if the difficulty is how convoluted and outdated the WMI system is

From my limited experience messing with it nothing is simple

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Discord in particular really has a hardon for audio devices.

Since I got my Mac Mini I just switch a USB-C + HDMI to my work MacBook and back again at the end of the day, and Discord really insists that I want the 2 watt speakers that are for some incredibly weird reason built into my gaming monitor as the default audio device.

Also, Windows when you plug the same old USB thingie into a new port:

cb1r3mkjiry7.png

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    tnsb5afv47j2.png

1920s Mid-Atlantic
    I think audio device names can change if the Windows language setting changes but honestly, if games made it so people who switch their OS language settings have their audio settings invalidated, and everyone else gets a setup that works perfectly forever, that would be an ok compromise...

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    there are certainly chiropractors that don't believe in the woo shit and think it's practicing medicine but i dunno if that's better

Is it so much to ask to find chiropractor with absolutely no self respect, who understands their entire profession is basically placebo, talk therapy, and advanced massage, who will debase themselves and tell me I am very smart while also doing complete nonsense to my body that I have requested and paid for?

because physical therapists are like dripping olive oil in your ear and chiropractors are like those youtube videos where an ENT gets in there with a scope and some scrapey tools and goes to town

Maybe you haven't had great PTs? The PTs I've worked with are pretty damn thorough and have the machinery to back it up.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    I use Bose QC35s and the Bluetooth is a nightmare and I don't know how to fix it.

First of all, to use the mic on PC, you have to select the "AG hands free" device, which has dramatically worse sound quality than the "stereo headphones" device

Second, when I tried to use it with Windows store or game pass games, it straight up doesn't work even when the device is selected. Sometimes this is because the controller is plugged into the computer and DESPITE NOT SELECTING IT AS AN AUDIO INPUT it is blocking the audio input from my mic. Sometimes this is because the Bluetooth has sanctified my phone as the True Audio Source and won't work with the PC, and I can't just disconnect my phone from the Bluetooth because the only way to get the headphones to connect to the PC successfully is to use the Bose app on my phone using the Bluetooth connection. So I have to connect it from there and then turn off my fucking phone quickly.

Audio devices are a nightmare. I have an audio interface for recording music, but I don't think that will solve any problems.

1920s Mid-Atlantic

Maybe you haven't had great PTs? The PTs I've worked with are pretty damn thorough and have the machinery to back it up.

I think you misunderstand my complaint. The ENTs I am referring to are almost always in rural india and not following best practices at all.

PTs do things that are safe and proven effective. This is not my desire. Press on my shoulder, grip my head, and do the unnecessary neck crack thing that kills a few people every year please.

Sometimes prompts like that have a checkbox for "never show me this again"

I wish that weren't a fucking lie 90% of the time

I use Bose QC35s and the Bluetooth is a nightmare and I don't know how to fix it.

First of all, to use the mic on PC, you have to select the "AG hands free" device, which has dramatically worse sound quality than the "stereo headphones" device

Yeah, I was amazingly pissed when I had to buy a new headset for actual gaming voice comms because the QC35 sucked truck nutz.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    RDR2 has chores in it

Not, like, “oh these side quests are goddamn tedious” chores

Well yes those too

But actual chores. Feeding horses. Cleaning a kitchen. Chopping wood.

Exactly, things we imagine what it would be like to do in real life.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
This discussion has been closed.