As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Elven Accent [chat]

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Elldren wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    there are certainly chiropractors that don't believe in the woo shit and think it's practicing medicine but i dunno if that's better

Is it so much to ask to find chiropractor with absolutely no self respect, who understands their entire profession is basically placebo, talk therapy, and advanced massage, who will debase themselves and tell me I am very smart while also doing complete nonsense to my body that I have requested and paid for?

In that case, why not just go see a physical therapist?

because physical therapists are like dripping olive oil in your ear and chiropractors are like those youtube videos where an ENT gets in there with a scope and some scrapey tools and goes to town

As someone who works with PTs all day:

I know some who would really get in there and just clean house

I definitely wouldn't describe the PT work they did on my right shoulder last year as anything but serious business.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    now that i have my own space i kind of want to invest in a nice pair of open back headphones but i know looking at audio equipment is where money goes to die

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    It does look like the solution is to use an adapter that turns them into a wired headset

Now I just need to find out how to get this adapter. Bose only wants to sell the full "gaming headset"

Assuming you have something like this:
    pshuwjouw0kw.jpg

You need a 3.5mm TRRS female to split 3.5mm TRS mic+phones. Something like this:
    gr01nyiseiii.jpg

You can either plug them into your on-board motherboard sound in the appropriate jacks or buy a cheap Sabrent USB Audio dongle (which bypasses the whole "shitty Realtek driver" aspect).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    am I going deaf, or does the foam on a game set of gaming headphones eventually degrade over time so that they don't seal as well and 1. sound quieter and 2. admit more external noise?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I have too many headphones.

AirPods that I only use if I’m going out and don’t want to carry the big pro case. That’s rare now. Also they’re cursed.

AirPods Pro that I use most of the time. Zoom meetings, gym, regular phone calls, biking, running. They’re workhorses.

Bose QC35 that I got for traveling since they’re great on planes. Used them constantly for years but they don’t get much use now. If I started traveling again they’d come with me.

Sennheiser HD 600 that are awesome wired phones that I got for music listening and now use to play guitar because my neighbors will complain otherwise.

Sennheiser Game One that I bought for PS4 and can use for PC in a pinch.

A great wireless set with a usb dongle I could just jam into the ps4 or PC as needed would be sweet but damn do I not need to buy any more headphones.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I don’t understand quibi

fuck gendered marketing
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I don’t understand quibi

v e n t u r e
    c a p i t a l

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I use Bose QC35s and the Bluetooth is a nightmare and I don't know how to fix it.

First of all, to use the mic on PC, you have to select the "AG hands free" device, which has dramatically worse sound quality than the "stereo headphones" device

Second, when I tried to use it with Windows store or game pass games, it straight up doesn't work even when the device is selected. Sometimes this is because the controller is plugged into the computer and DESPITE NOT SELECTING IT AS AN AUDIO INPUT it is blocking the audio input from my mic. Sometimes this is because the Bluetooth has sanctified my phone as the True Audio Source and won't work with the PC, and I can't just disconnect my phone from the Bluetooth because the only way to get the headphones to connect to the PC successfully is to use the Bose app on my phone using the Bluetooth connection. So I have to connect it from there and then turn off my fucking phone quickly.

Audio devices are a nightmare. I have an audio interface for recording music, but I don't think that will solve any problems.
    Bluetooth (maybe Bluetooth 5.0 fixes this?) doesn't have enough bandwidth to support a decent microphone connection and good quality stereo sound at the same time. Bluetooth microphones, in general, are pretty shitty for voice. You are far better off using 2.4 GHz Wireless or something similar if you really need wireless headphones (especially with a mic). Bluetooth is fine for most other peripherals because it just doesn't require that much bandwidth to run a mouse or keyboard. The latency on Bluetooth audio also makes it less viable for gaming.

TL;DR Your mistake was using a Bluetooth audio device for anything other than hands-free talking in a car.

You could get an Antlion Modmic wireless. It gets around the whole "Bluetooth is shitty for microphones" aspect by having a custom chip and USB dongle to connect to your computer. Run the Bluetooth to your headphones as a stereo headphones device and use the Modmic for your microphone. But at that point, you might as well just buy a gaming wireless headset that uses 2.4 GHz anyway and get better sound quality.

This is similar to the Avantree DG59M bundle I posted above. PS4s cannot do incoming and outgoing audio on the same time over Bluetooth unless the headset supports one of a short list of proprietary audio codecs, arguably the most common of which is apt-X.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    am I going deaf, or does the foam on a game set of gaming headphones eventually degrade over time so that they don't seal as well and 1. sound quieter and 2. admit more external noise?
    It depends on the headset/foam used, but maybe? Usually they don't sound quieter, but you do get more dB from outside noise.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    now that i have my own space i kind of want to invest in a nice pair of open back headphones but i know looking at audio equipment is where money goes to die

Yes become the audiophile whale

I don’t understand quibi

Someone here recommended the trash future episode on it and I highly recommend it but the long and short of it is that Quibi exists because interest rates and misallocated capital.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    The absolute best wireless headset I've found for both Windows and PS4 is the Aventree DG59M bundle.

They're technically Bluetooth headphones. However, they come with a pre-paired Bluetooth adapter (in a USB dongle form factor). Windows and PS4 just see them as a wired USB headset. You don't have to pair them with your Bluetooth or do anything like that. If you want to use them with a different device, you just move the USB dongle.

4f0kkcerv7ri.png

I bought a nice wired headset for my ps4 and now I wish I’d bought this instead.

I despise most bluetooth headsets/headphones and I actually like these.

Mostly because I don't have to dick around with bluetooth pairing, which is always a shitty experience

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Preach

I got a free pair of Airpods Pro from a vendor and I'm probably going to regift them to somebody for christmas

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    I don’t understand quibi

Successful communist deep strike

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    quibi already went outta business tho

It depends on the headset/foam used, but maybe? Usually they don't sound quieter, but you do get more dB from outside noise.

I mean

I've had a cholesteatoma surgically removed in one ear, and a pair of tympanoplasties before that after tubes didn't agree with me as a kid

and I like guns, motorcycle wind noise, and loud music now

audiologist tells me no hearing loss, tho

The absolute best wireless headset I've found for both Windows and PS4 is the Aventree DG59M bundle.

They're technically Bluetooth headphones. However, they come with a pre-paired Bluetooth adapter (in a USB dongle form factor). Windows and PS4 just see them as a wired USB headset. You don't have to pair them with your Bluetooth or do anything like that. If you want to use them with a different device, you just move the USB dongle.

4f0kkcerv7ri.png

I bought a nice wired headset for my ps4 and now I wish I’d bought this instead.

Mostly because I don't have to dick around with bluetooth pairing, which is always a shitty experience

That’s one reason I like the AirPods. The pairing mostly just works.

My Bose headphones are now paired to so many things that when I’m using them they’re constantly connecting and disconnecting from something and it’s infuriating. They generally work well for mobile devices but pairing anything reliably with windows is about as enjoyable as circumcising yourself.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Oh boy lot of stuff below the cutoff there. That last line in particular.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Boston townie

the show was described as "the source of a significant amount of litigation"

what a beautiful sentence

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I got a free pair of Airpods Pro from a vendor and I'm probably going to regift them to somebody for christmas

What if instead I sent you a reasonable sum of currency in exchange

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It does look like the solution is to use an adapter that turns them into a wired headset

Now I just need to find out how to get this adapter. Bose only wants to sell the full "gaming headset"

Assuming you have something like this:
    pshuwjouw0kw.jpg

You need a 3.5mm TRRS female to split 3.5mm TRS mic+phones. Something like this:
    gr01nyiseiii.jpg

You can either plug them into your on-board motherboard sound in the appropriate jacks or buy a cheap Sabrent USB Audio dongle (which bypasses the whole "shitty Realtek driver" aspect).

Okay this seems like what I thought I might need! Thank you. I'm surprised that the former is not sold with the splitter, tbh.

I already have a m2m adapter that I use for the PS4, which works great, but I'll get a splitter I guess

My favorite* part about quibi is that the shows had inflated production costs because they mandates that the content be able to be seamlessly transitioned from pro retain to landscape on a phone so they had to shoot with a special double camera setup. Which is insane.

Organichu wrote: »

What if instead I sent you a reasonable sum of currency in exchange

Iraqi dinar

4f0kkcerv7ri.png

My Bose headphones are now paired to so many things that when I’m using them they’re constantly connecting and disconnecting from something and it’s infuriating. They generally work well for mobile devices but pairing anything reliably with windows is about as enjoyable as circumcising yourself.

Typically, the problem for me isn't Windows. the bluetooth UI in Windows isn't wonderful, but it works okay.

The problem is that there's always some secret ritual you have to perform on the buttons on the device you want to pair, which may or may not be easy to access, or clearly labeled, or particularly visible (especially in low light), with feedback that is ambiguous at best. It's like you're trying to give some incomprehensible extradimensional entity an orgasm, and you're not even particularly sure where its erogenous zones are or what noises it makes when it's happy.

My AirPod pros were free from a company trying to sell me something. I was in the middle of fighting the ghosts in my original AirPods so I just took the pros and started using them.

Boston townie
    rachel brosnahan defends the gold arm thing as 'campy' and sam raimi intended it that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlKkNDWXq0s&ab_channel=ColliderInterviews

1920s Mid-Atlantic
    My main problem with wireless headsets isn't the sound quality (if I wanted audiophile level sound quality or wanted to do some mixing, I'm never going to use wireless anyway). It's the fact that I keep forgetting to recharge them, so it makes things like the HyperX Cloud Flight S (Qi wireless charging) and the wireless headsets that have charging docks really appealing to me.

JBL is coming out with a new wireless headset called the Reflect Eternal, which has high quality solar panels built into it. While the solar cells only provide a supplemental charge, they are claiming that you can listen to music 4 hours a day every day without ever having to manually recharge the thing. JBL makes decent speakers (although they aren't really known for their headphones), so I'm hoping that the sound quality of these headphones are at least passable.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

4f0kkcerv7ri.png

Typically, the problem for me isn't Windows. the bluetooth UI in Windows isn't wonderful, but it works okay.

The problem is that there's always some secret ritual you have to perform on the buttons on the device you want to pair, which may or may not be easy to access, or clearly labeled, or particularly visible (especially in low light), with feedback that is ambiguous at best. It's like you're trying to give some incomprehensible extradimensional entity an orgasm, and you're not even particularly sure where its erogenous zones are or what noises it makes when it's happy.

I still end up with weird sound quality issues or missing mic functionality or whatever in windows. It’s rarely been a painless process, and even when I get it to work—will it work tomorrow? Stay tuned

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I don’t understand quibi

What if you made several hundred million dollars making TV (2 founders)

And then you saw that people were watching less TV, and were streaming more.
    Streaming content made for TV on phones.
    With their tiny screens and awkward aspect ratios.
    And that the average viewing time is short.

Well then you come up with a brilliant plan:

Content from top creators, in short form. (Added bonus, the short runtime means you can run around a lot of union rules)
    And to accommodate the phones, you mandate that every show has a wide-screen and portrait version.
    Since you are incredibly rich, your rich friends will invest in you!
    But with short shows you are afraid of piracy and spoilers, so you make it very hard to share any piece of content on the app.
    And you also make it not work on on smart TVs or computers because it looks bad!

Now someone who is somewhat in tune with reality may balk at many of these decision steps. But you are very rich ans spending money of other rich people so who cares.

(Mostly by accident Quibi got a lot of people work in a rough year, so at least there's that)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    The noise canceling in the pros is good and the ability to leave your phone in a room and walk away and listen to what’s being said is so much fun and they could do cool things with the spatial stuff. It kind of makes me want to upgrade my phone.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Boston townie

There is a covid holiday allegory in here.

Incenjucar on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My midrange Sony wireless headphones have like 30h of battery life. The only downside is that they charge slow.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i love my airpod pros but the battery life just isn't what i need

with working from home and then being stuck at home with quarantine, i'm going through at least two full charges a day which sucks

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

*laughs in mechanical keyboard*

(I just ordered one and I'm totally not falling further down the hole (it's totally modifyable though (not falling down)))

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I don’t understand quibi

Someone here recommended the trash future episode on it and I highly recommend it but the long and short of it is that Quibi exists because interest rates and misallocated capital.

What is trash future?

fuck gendered marketing
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I don’t understand quibi

v e n t u r e
    c a p i t a l

Edit: how timely

japan on
    My main problem with wireless headsets isn't the sound quality (if I wanted audiophile level sound quality or wanted to do some mixing, I'm never going to use wireless anyway). It's the fact that I keep forgetting to recharge them, so it makes things like the HyperX Cloud Flight S (Qi wireless charging) and the wireless headsets that have charging docks really appealing to me.

JBL is coming out with a new wireless headset called the Reflect Eternal, which has high quality solar panels built into it. While the solar cells only provide a supplemental charge, they are claiming that you can listen to music 4 hours a day every day without ever having to manually recharge the thing. JBL makes decent speakers (although they aren't really known for their headphones), so I'm hoping that the sound quality of these headphones are at least passable.

I’ve never found the charging to be an issue even though I thought it would be. The qc35s would get about 20 hours of listening which realistically meant charging them once or twice a week. And you could get a few hours of charge in 10 minutes or something. The AirPods charging out of their case solves that problem for the most part.

This discussion has been closed.