As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Elven Accent [chat]

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hmm

since I have a Logi USB mouse that is lagless now, is audio earlier or harder to transmit than that?

1. are wireless headphones lagless now?
    2. if y, I don't believe my mobo has wifi -- can I get another USB reciever?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    quibi already went outta business tho

I know that part

Basically it went from being a thing I’d heard about a couple times might be launching in the future, to a thing literally everyone in the entertainment business was either developing a show for or making jokes about (or both) to being a thing that was dead, seemingly without ever having been a thing that people watched.

That trajectory is fascinating and I want to understand it.

fuck gendered marketing
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I don’t understand quibi

What if you made several hundred million dollars making TV (2 founders)

And then you saw that people were watching less TV, and were streaming more.
    Streaming content made for TV on phones.
    With their tiny screens and awkward aspect ratios.
    And that the average viewing time is short.

Well then you come up with a brilliant plan:

Content from top creators, in short form. (Added bonus, the short runtime means you can run around a lot of union rules)
    And to accommodate the phones, you mandate that every show has a wide-screen and portrait version.
    Since you are incredibly rich, your rich friends will invest in you!
    But with short shows you are afraid of piracy and spoilers, so you make it very hard to share any piece of content on the app.
    And you also make it not work on on smart TVs or computers because it looks bad!

Now someone who is somewhat in tune with reality may balk at many of these decision steps. But you are very rich ans spending money of other rich people so who cares.

(Mostly by accident Quibi got a lot of people work in a rough year, so at least there's that)

Don’t forget that you’re in an environment where money not spent loses value very quickly because of nonexistent interest rates and valuations based on being a tech company with some barely existent probably of a future monopoly (we’ll own the time people spend watching tv while shitting) means you can attract enough capital to produce every content creator’s fourth best idea.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    The phrase "airpods pro" makes me frown even though I must grudgingly agree that it is technically correct

edited November 2020
    Six wrote: »
    I don’t understand quibi

Someone here recommended the trash future episode on it and I highly recommend it but the long and short of it is that Quibi exists because interest rates and misallocated capital.

What is trash future?

See next post.

It’s a podcast that from my experience is all about why shitty content gets financed.

Edit: it’s an intelligent show with an interesting perspective.

Six on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    While I do really enjoy using the Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Touchpad, oh boy did Apple just not give a shit about people that have multiple computers or devices they want to use them on.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    VishNub wrote: »
    apartment application sent in.

Hopefully this one doesn’t fall through.

Got it!

Still have to actually sign, but

that's the big thing done

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Irish/Gaelic
    japan wrote: »
    Hey Rhesus Positive linkedin is really pushing a vacancy for an "HO Complex Tax and Evasion Investigator" at me

Any inside scoop on what that would be like?

It does warn that you need to be comfortable "working in ports and warehouses", weirdly

I've only done one enquiry with C&E, and it was a lot of primary record checking - the customers that get picked up with them are, as the name suggests, doing a lot of complex stuff that can hide various levels of fuckery

The warehouse and ports bit suggests maybe working on the VAT side doing site visits?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Hmm

since I have a Logi USB mouse that is lagless now, is audio earlier or harder to transmit than that?

i use a bluetooth adapter on my desktop with my airpod pros thats basically flawless and cost like €8

the distance isn't as good as using bluetooth on your phone but it'll still easily transmit into the next room if you're doing a small chore or whatever

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    rachel brosnahan defends the gold arm thing as 'campy' and sam raimi intended it that way

this is all pretty reasonable, and jives with the AV club review I read

(which thought the episode wasn't great or anything, but that it's goal was non-insane, aka that it was going for a lightly updated take on a spooky campfire-style ghost story)

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Hmm

i use a bluetooth adapter on my desktop with my airpod pros thats basically flawless and cost like €8

the distance isn't as good as using bluetooth on your phone but it'll still easily transmit into the next room if you're doing a small chore or whatever

Is it okay for something like gaming, versus Spotify or Netflix?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I still have wired headphones

I’m a boomer now

What trash future really rams home is that if you think of capital as a store of labor then all this money being spent on shit like quibi shows that could be spent on things like schools is a tragedy.

Also Reed Hastings is a monster.

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I make all of my sex partners tell me they’ll bury me with my golden arm

Neco on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Apparently Apple uses AAC codecs in the AirPods, which is totally standard and could be supported by anyone and doesn't require anything special, but only iOS devices have the hardware to perform AAC encoding and decoding seamlessly so Android devices are hit or miss whether they choke trying to use them. It's not entirely clear why PC support is poor also, since hardware power is a non-issue, but bluetooth drivers on PC have never exactly been stellar. In theory you could get good behavior but usually you don't because the system doesn't negotiate the optimal connection type.

Then additionally, for reasons that are not entirely clear, only Bluetooth 5.0+ chips seem to support the mode where you get bidirectional AAC streams in the A2DP profile, and everyone else falls back to legacy telephone handset modes if they try to use the mic. (It seems like Bluetooth 4.2 should work but it doesn't)

Good stuff. It took me like 20 minutes of research to find all this out and there are still big holes in the information.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    Neco wrote: »
    I make all of my sex partners tell me they’ll bury me with my golden arm

Consent is sexy

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Hmm

Is it okay for something like gaming, versus Spotify or Netflix?

i don't play any super twitchy shooters where the soundscape really matters to playing to a high level

but like

i press the kick ball button in fifa and the kicky noise happens and i don't notice anything off

i probably have 500+ hours playing fifa/WoW with this bluetooth receiver and haven't had any issue

• japanjapan Registered User regular

I know that part

Basically it went from being a thing I’d heard about a couple times might be launching in the future, to a thing literally everyone in the entertainment business was either developing a show for or making jokes about (or both) to being a thing that was dead, seemingly without ever having been a thing that people watched.

The actual tf episode on it is interesting (the episode above is the follow up after it went out of business):

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    I feel like Quibi missed its best shot for success

all these stupid shows started getting attention AFTER they announced they were shutting down

Maybe they should have marketed as "can you believe how stupid this shit is?" from the start they would've succeeded

Echo wrote: »

Nice Leupold he's got on that Model 70 right there. Glass may well be more expensive than the rifle.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Hmm

Significantly harder. It uses up a LOT more bandwidth, even with compression. Nearly all audio over wireless is compressed with codecs, and the compression itself adds to the latency by a small amount. This being said, you can get the latency down to the order of magnitude of 10s of milliseconds, which is pretty good. Apt-X achieves between 50-70 ms, I think. If you go with wireless headphones, I highly suggest getting one that transmits over 2.4 GHz that has a USB dongle, instead of Bluetooth. You'll get higher sound quality, a working microphone that doesn't sound like ass, and lower latency.

Nothing that is wireless is truly "lagless". I mean, even wired connections have a tiny amount of lag, because the speed of light and all. The "LIGHTSPEED" tech just makes the latency on-par with a wired connection, that's all.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited November 2020
    tens of milliseconds?

Have some dignity, people

desc on
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Nothing that is wireless is truly "lagless". I mean, even wired connections have a tiny amount of lag, because the speed of light and all. The "LIGHTSPEED" tech just makes the latency on-par with a wired connection, that's all.

That's why true audiophiles use wormhole technology.

1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Apparently Apple uses AAC codecs in the AirPods, which is totally standard and could be supported by anyone and doesn't require anything special, but only iOS devices have the hardware to perform AAC encoding and decoding seamlessly so Android devices are hit or miss whether they choke trying to use them. It's not entirely clear why PC support is spotty but bluetooth drivers on PC have never exactly been stellar.

Then additionally, for reasons that are not entirely clear, only Bluetooth 5.0+ chips on mobile phones and newer Macs can use AirPods in the mode where you get bidirectional AAC streams in the A2DP profile, and everyone else falls back to legacy telephone handset modes if they try to use the mic. (It seems like Bluetooth 4.2 should work but it doesn't)

Good stuff. It took me like 20 minutes of research to find all this out and there are still big holes in the information.
    Yeah, Bluetooth 5.0 expands the bandwidth that audio connections can have, for reasons I don't entirely understand. It's not a holy grail or anything, but anything is an improvement.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    desc wrote: »

I’m a boomer now
    No. You are pure, in the eyes of God.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

I’m a boomer now

Honestly the idea of changing my headphones annoys me more than any other aspect

Kill me

• AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Japanese

all these stupid shows started getting attention AFTER they announced they were shutting down

Maybe they should have marketed as "can you believe how stupid this shit is?" from the start they would've succeeded

All of the marketing around Quibi was essentially almost on the level of, "Can you believe how stupid this shit is?" Except it was meant to be ironic, like yeah man when I got time to kill and a phone I can watch something that works well on phones. Jokes on you, it was just actually dumb!

Honestly if they had taken the idea of being like, "Come look at this train wreck play out in slow motion!" I probably would've put in some effort.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    1920s Mid-Atlantic

I’m a boomer now

Honestly the idea of changing my headphones annoys me more than any other aspect
    What you need to do is have a rack-mounted Headphone amp and 8 different headphones of different models, so you can mix and master audio on different sound stages and such.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Kill me

But then you can never watch phantom menace again

i think my next Big Purchase will be a monitor arm so I can reclaim a bunch of desk space AND THEN i will buy headphones

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Japanese
    Homeowners, name your houses

What is stopping you

japan wrote: »

I know that part

The actual tf episode on it is interesting (the episode above is the follow up after it went out of business):

I don't agree with every viewpoint on this podcast in general, but this episode is worth listening to and will make you smarter about a few things and potentially enrage you even more than you already are.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    1920s Mid-Atlantic
    Each foot of cable in your headphones adds a nanosecond of latency, which is, frankly, unacceptable. And don't get me started on the speed of sound from speakers to ears, jesus.

This is why I only game with a PC bolted to a hardhat, using custom in-ear headphones with a three inch cable.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Kill me

But then you can never watch phantom menace again

Keep me alive and lock me in a room with only my golden arm and phantom menace

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Boston townie
    Alazull wrote: »

All of the marketing around Quibi was essentially almost on the level of, "Can you believe how stupid this shit is?" Except it was meant to be ironic, like yeah man when I got time to kill and a phone I can watch something that works well on phones. Jokes on you, it was just actually dumb!

Honestly if they had taken the idea of being like, "Come look at this train wreck play out in slow motion!" I probably would've put in some effort.

All I heard was lofty notions of changing how you'll watch TV forever and crap.

edited November 2020

I’m a boomer now

What you need to do is have a rack-mounted Headphone amp and 8 different headphones of different models, so you can mix and master audio on different sound stages and such.

I mean that’s just basic human rights

All people deserve that, it’s spelled out in the UN document, I’m sure

desc on

I’m a boomer now

While admirable, not being tethered to anything has huge advantages that are worth exploring.

i think my next Big Purchase will be a monitor arm so I can reclaim a bunch of desk space AND THEN i will buy headphones

They're great. I just switched my single-screen arm to a dual-screen one so I can get both screens off the desk.

So much more space I can fill with piles of junk!

This discussion has been closed.