As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    People really hyped up the Oda idea set but now I'm playing with it and never hire any generals since you can just get them for free from your Daimyos

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I'm currently playing in India as Orissa, and I'm a little unsure which idea sets to take. I've started with Exploration because I want to sneaky sneak Colonialism, but the next two are hard to decide on. I've two choices:

Quantity -> Religious
    - Manpower for days to counteract all the attrition
    - Holy War CB as a nation whose religion doesn't exist elsewhere.
    - Powerful Military Policy
    - "Phabrikayt kleyhm? What's that?"
    - Conversion powah

Defensive -> Humanist
    - Stupid good attrition reduction in a tropical continent, especially with its military policy
    - Lets me set up the Humanist-Offensive policy later
    - A policy to help my pretty slow colonist, since I don't have the estate privileges to speed them up and I'm not currently considering Expansion
    - Humanist leans into Hindu tolerance of Heathens

Any preferences?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I pick up Humanist whenever I'm playing Hindu but either is very good

One thing to keep in mind is that you have to pay for soldiers you replace from your huge manpower pool, whereas you don't have to pay for soldiers which don't die of attrition in the first place

You also don't have to pay for conversions if you don't need to convert anything

Platy on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    So if an update breaks my iron man game and rolling back says I can't earn achievements anymore am I just fucked?

• Options
    I'm thinking like three things about Leviathan: The new stuff looks fun, Youtube has shown some of it can be stupidly overpowered if you abuse it and I wouldn't be surprised if it got patched, and the Paradox forums taking that and calling the update completely broken and a disaster makes me feel tired.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    All the dedicated forums are full of whining power gamers who spend thousands of hours playing games and then saying it's too easy. They suck.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Don't discount the bug reports as just unnecessary complaining. Here's a list of what I have seen as broken right now:
    horde ideas + religious idea has a policy that gives +100% missionary strength

Siberian tribes can't migrate any more. Forming any Polynesian formable tag gives you generic national ideas. Collapse of Majapahit disaster can fire even if you don't have the DLC, and the DLC-only mission tree is the only way to avoid it. Certain focuses in SEA just don't even count as completed when you finish them, or have very vague tooltips that don't tell you what you actually need to do. Federation members that are far weaker than you in every way will still hurt your Federation Cohesion for being "stronger than the federation leader" and we have no idea how this is being calculated.

The Tributary CBs from the Tonga Mission Tree only last until the start of the next month ...

https://imgur.com/a/HVS1Tdx

/edit: Its even worse, it last somewhere around 3-30 days from my testing, and since you can only declare one war/month, you can only attack the one with the biggest alliance to get maybe 4 tributaries - sucks that the following mission requires 7, and all the provinces are out of claim range.

There's clearly a good bit of the new content that Paradox needs to roll out some fixes for.

• Options
    Absolutely, I'm seeing quite a lot of issues. Though the whining I saw was all before that was apparent, and having legitimate grievances hasn't improved the tone.

Hagia Sophia is indeed pretty feeble compared to Alhambra though, I'd be super interested in the rationale behind that. Maybe it was back when we thought it would take 50-100 years to actually build/upgrade these, but they cut the build time dramatically.

• Options
    1.31.1 has been released with a bunch of fixes.

EU4: 1.31.1 Majapahit is now LIVE!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Anyone try totemist changes out yet? If they made NAs viable without having to self assimilate then I would be happier.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Do Great Powers controlled by the AI still tend to end up deep in debt, and unable to assist in wars?

• Options
    I've heard a NA run may still be a bit broken, but that was in terms of a pre-hotfix save loaded post-hotfix, so a fresh game might be fine.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Anyone try totemist changes out yet? If they made NAs viable without having to self assimilate then I would be happier.

I played before the hotfix and Native mechanics were completely broken, no one playtested it

It's... okay-ish now, unfortunately I still can't add any ancestors because my ruler is accidentally immortal, don't know what that's about

• Options
    Also big warning, there is still a bug which just randomly ruins your savegame - some believe it's linked to the Centralize State feature

Since it happened to many if not most streamers, it seems to occur semi-frequently

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Platy wrote: »

I played before the hotfix and Native mechanics were completely broken, no one playtested it

It's... okay-ish now, unfortunately I still can't add any ancestors because my ruler is accidentally immortal, don't know what that's about

Ok thanks. I will keep an eye out. I had high hopes for a positive progression away from the euro interpretation of what NAs would do if they fought back. With the only playable method basically self assimilating away from their culture I found the design to be really sad. As a NA I want to paint as much of the world NA but without having to go euro.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    So probably still wait to actually play is what I'm hearing.

• Options

Ok thanks. I will keep an eye out. I had high hopes for a positive progression away from the euro interpretation of what NAs would do if they fought back. With the only playable method basically self assimilating away from their culture I found the design to be really sad. As a NA I want to paint as much of the world NA but without having to go euro.

The concepts they introduced in the expansion are good, just none of them really worked as they should pre-hotfix

You do indeed still throw most of your NA flavor overboard as soon as you "reform" off a European neighbor

"Reformation" is very wonky right now, there are two ways to "reform" and it feels like one should make you able to embrace institutions and the other should let you switch out your government type if you would like to do so, but that's not how it works

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The way settled tribes work now is that you build up ticking "tribal development" by building irrigation in your provinces

You can directly add this development to your existing provinces, or use it to settle uncolonized provinces - I played as one of the Mississippi tags and was able to eventually grow my nation to 500 development

Post-hotfix federation mechanics are interesting but not quite tuned right - the last "federation advancement" lets you inherit all the other tribes in your federation, but their tribal development gets removed, so you end up with a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces.

Migratory tribes gain tribal development through grazing, you gain more development from grazing in another tribe's land - in theory this would lead to conflict, but I'm not sure if the AI reacts at the moment unless you directly border them. You keep all buildings when migrating and your tribal development gets automatically added to your current "main province".

I'm not sure how you're supposed to play migratory tribes which don't start with extended tribal lands (for example in Australia or SA) - I feel like this is probably some sort of oversight, settled tribes have a button through which they can add new tribal land, it would only make sense if migratory tribes had access to the same mechanic.

Platy on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Migratory tribes can add tribal land if they are currently located in it

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Thank you, for some reason that functionality is assigned to the coring button which is why I couldn't find it

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    for some reason that functionality is assigned to ...
    EU4 in a nutshell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The way settled tribes work now is that you build up ticking "tribal development" by building irrigation in your provinces

You can directly add this development to your existing provinces, or use it to settle uncolonized provinces - I played as one of the Mississippi tags and was able to eventually grow my nation to 500 development

Post-hotfix federation mechanics are interesting but not quite tuned right - the last "federation advancement" lets you inherit all the other tribes in your federation, but their tribal development gets removed, so you end up with a bunch of 1/1/1 provinces.

Migratory tribes gain tribal development through grazing, you gain more development from grazing in another tribe's land - in theory this would lead to conflict, but I'm not sure if the AI reacts at the moment unless you directly border them. You keep all buildings when migrating and your tribal development gets automatically added to your current "main province".

I'm not sure how you're supposed to play migratory tribes which don't start with extended tribal lands (for example in Australia or SA) - I feel like this is probably some sort of oversight, settled tribes have a button through which they can add new tribal land, it would only make sense if migratory tribes had access to the same mechanic.

That sounds like a very interesting run, I may have to try my hand at something similar. Maybe after another hotfix patch.

• Options
    Apparently you can embrace institutions as a Native now, you just don't gain any progress towards them through developing, they need to spread to your lands

That means you could possibly stay Native all game if you desire to do so, with 0% tech penalty

You do however lose the Federation bonuses because all the other nations are going to switch to other government types, this happens a bit too quickly right now

• Options
    According to Paradox, the newest patch fixes the savegame corruption issue

That means you can play the expansion now without losing your savegame all the time (only way around it was to keep the game running)

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    According to Paradox, the newest patch fixes the savegame corruption issue

That means you can play the expansion now without losing your savegame all the time (only way around it was to keep the game running)

Yes, but now you can't vassalise without a subjugation CB.

• Options
    Dangit, I wanted to play game of thrones with the favour system and see how many PU's I could wrack up, my first target is Naples, I successfully give them a Palaiologos... and they turn into a republic off an event.

• Options
    Day 1 release Yazd on Very Hard, going for the Zoroastrian achievement

Always astounded by how good of a node Persia is

f65ubggdsb42.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Zoroastrian Persia VH

Allied with the Mamluks, had to crush the Ottomans in a war

fdq2epfwmcva.jpg
    4c9l4pf09y2m.jpg

Platy on
  • Options
    I heard the latest hotfix made the game playable again, so I grabbed the DLC and started a game as Majahapit. Unfortunately, the disaster didn't work so I couldn't use their new mission tree. Sad trombone noise.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    hey they fixed the pirate nations not getting their pirate national ideas

was gonna do new providence then I was like wait why are these ideas so shit

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Aw dangit I just learned they nerfed propagate religion trading policy. Can't convert Abrahamic faiths at all. My Sunni Mughals was way too much Shia to make this an easy to manage situation.

• Options
    So when you take a 64 development aboriginal province it gives AE like it's 64 development but reverts to like 6. OK, Paradox.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I got pastor John in 1484 on normal land given platy and tynnans results maybe I should upgrade to verhly hard

Until that decision I leanred you can play as a pirate dayimo so that's now what I'm doing

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Oh also the resource produced changes. Gems became fish. :(

AND I think the Khmer disaster happens and unhappens every time you reload.

• Options
    So when you take a 64 development aboriginal province it gives AE like it's 64 development but reverts to like 6. OK, Paradox.

The AI never settles tribal development so it gets lost (but you still get full AE)

Tribal development reappears if the tag gets released again, it's really messy

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So i got a bug where the game is crashing on the same in-game date every time. Reloading an earlier save doesn't help. I have no mods, have all DLC except Leviathan. EU4 forums have a bunch of people complaining about the same thing, and their crash log has the same error code in getting, so hopefully a patch fixes it soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Lenape VH

my4lq7jlt8it.jpg

Unfortunately I started getting chain declarations of war once the colonizers unlocked Nationalism and Imperialism

It got rather tedious at that point, also due to the massive travel time when moving armies across North America - I would've needed to eat all or most of the European CNs or gotten myself an outpost in North Africa so I could've allied the Ottomans

Platy on
  • Options
    So if you take over and swap to Japan as So you stay as a pirate republic, which I did not expect and also rules

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    So if you take over and swap to Japan as So you stay as a pirate republic, which I did not expect and also rules

Playing as So seems a bit buggy to me. You'll build up AE with your fellow daimyos, get a warning they'll join a coalition, but they never do. The Shogun never declares on you when you get too big. I'm pretty sure the open/closed incidents don't all work.

I had a lot of fun with it but it feels very half-baked.

• Options
    I had a colition fire and the Shogun want me dead in the same war cause I went tonfst west to fast

I think 1495 is the earliest you can form Japan and it's with a lot of debt juggling and I'm at 25 inflation, this is like the third run and I can never get the Shogun in one war, which means you take like -16 we and -6 stab for reasons

icGJy2C.png