As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I ordered myself to get company tires repaired because fuck making someone else wait for a repair truck.

Just gonna rack up them hours and fume at dude who brought back flat tires

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have to come up with six people outside my team who can give me performance feedback for my annual review

Problem is I started this job right at lockdown and I'm not sure I've even met six people outside my team.
    Gonna be great.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I have to come up with six people outside my team who can give me performance feedback for my annual review

Problem is I started this job right at lockdown and I'm not sure I've even met six people outside my team.
    Gonna be great.

right here

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Gonna be great.

hey yeah hi I can provide feedback

"uh, she's Australian I think? right? likes huge dogs?"

• Options
    Hair Control - MORE EFFORT NEEDED

Staying In The Same Dang Country - POOR ATTEMPT

Feeding Dogues Things That Aren't Food - SHOWING IMPROVEMENT

Killing Humanity With Robits - VERY POOR, SEE ME AFTER CLASS

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Gonna be great.

right here

I'm technically a scientist, hook me up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Gonna be great.

“I’m like eighty percent sure her plans for the robot singularity are at least five years out from now “

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    We have hydraulic hand trucks at work for moving crates and pallets of stuff. They are really maneuverable and now I've got the hang of them I can move stuff around with style.

I've also been getting into Elite Dangerous lately. Which might explain why I've started making spaceship noises when parking pallets.

Watch out for thargoid interdiction.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    EDU continues to crumble under the pandemic. We've been given our budgets and required goals that cut our budgets so far that it's leaving departments no option but to lay off 1 (maybe 2) staff at minimum.

I've been told that one of my staff (I manage 6) will be laid off, but I will not be told whom or why they were picked. This is all being done "to absolve me" from having to face the decision, have the rest of my staff angry at me. Except, I know my director, I know what they look at re: job performance, and how they make decisions, and I know they're looking at 2 specific people. Neither would be my choice if it was up to me.

So I know who it will be anyway, but now have to pretend like I don't, and I'm not even allowed to prepare them for the inevitable. This sucks.

Huh...
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof how are the hands?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i am in a twitter fight with a straight white guy abut how he thinks we should treat trump supporters with care and respect and not hate them or we're no better then they are and gonna be honest it is not one of the high points of my life

Well don't stop now just when you have nothing to gain by continuing!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Gonna be great.

“I’m like eighty percent sure her plans for the robot singularity are at least five years out from now “

And I think that, if she really applied herself, she could get that down by 10 percent with a minimal increase in human suffering.

• Options
    FF wrote: »
    EDU continues to crumble under the pandemic. We've been given our budgets and required goals that cut our budgets so far that it's leaving departments no option but to lay off 1 (maybe 2) staff at minimum.

I've been told that one of my staff (I manage 6) will be laid off, but I will not be told whom or why they were picked. This is all being done "to absolve me" from having to face the decision, have the rest of my staff angry at me. Except, I know my director, I know what they look at re: job performance, and how they make decisions, and I know they're looking at 2 specific people. Neither would be my choice if it was up to me.

So I know who it will be anyway, but now have to pretend like I don't, and I'm not even allowed to prepare them for the inevitable. This sucks.

Not having input from you about which of your direct reports will be laid off is tremendously ass backwards

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    I don't get the "they fucked on a boat" thing.

It's from a very old thread from Help & Advice about someone discovering their SO cheating on them with a mutual friend. I can't find the thread off hand due to the search function on this forum being really inaccurate.

Oh. Yes. I have a vague recollection of that now. Perhaps I shall also aspire to find the thread later.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    It's easily findable in the awesome posts forum archive.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Received an email from our local JAG with this subject: ** FREE NEW SURFACE PRO LAPTOPS AVAILABLE** FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE

Followed by "Now that I have your attention"

I'm angry she lied to us but much angrier at myself for falling for it.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Quid wrote: »
    Received an email from our local JAG with this subject: ** FREE NEW SURFACE PRO LAPTOPS AVAILABLE** FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE

I include pictures of (mostly) my cats in emails I send out to all staff. I know JAG is all lawyers and stuff but there are ways to do this without being soulless.

#notalllawyers

expendable on
    Steam
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A local gardening group donated 200 daffodil and tulip bulbs to the library, and planned to come out and have a planting day.

Every single volunteer has sensibly withdrawn their labor offer, citing covid concerns.

While this is understandable and even laudable, this has rapidly devolved from a donation of free beer to a donation of free kittens, as we have already taken delivery of the bulbs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Everyone gets to take bulbs home?
    At least daffodils don’t tend to last as long as kittens. Fewer vet bills, too.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

You mean the Chatlog? I don't even see how to get to the Awesome Posts archive anymore.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Everyone gets to take bulbs home?
    At least daffodils don’t tend to last as long as kittens. Fewer vet bills, too.

but no snugglin'

kittens win

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

I include pictures of (mostly) my cats in emails I send out to all staff. I know JAG is all lawyers and stuff but there are ways to do this without being soulless.

#notalllawyers

This wasn't even legal related. It was Chief stuff that the local mess is trying to wrangle volunteers for. Never trust emails from a Chief.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Brovid Hasselsmof how are the hands?

Weird. Lefty is still stiff and sore in the mornings, and righty is a bit as well, though less so. I've also got a lot more clicking going on when I open and close my hands than I used to. I think I might have tendonitis? Google seems to suggest it's that or arthritis and I don't think arthritis is likely. But it's not like it's unbearable or anything.

• Options
    Tendonitis is super likely and the good news is that it’s fixable but the bad news is that it usually requires rest. I’ve always found sports tape does wonders but that’s been for leg stuff, I dunno if you can sports tape your hands, plus it does restrict your movement.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Icing also will help with tendonitis.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Huzzah, 12 hours, troubles, and getting shit done

• Options
    Icing also will help with tendonitis.

put frosting on all your tendons, i agree

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Icing my hands seems risky in this day and age. Then someone might mistake them for cake.

• Options
    But smof, don't you see? You're already cake.

Always was.

• Options

Awesome Posts forum is no longer accessible. Hasn't been for some time. It's possible this is the old link: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/vanilla/discussion/8957 but the thread was pre-december 2006 and was either archived in a no-longer accessible forum or lost in one of the many migrations.

Steam
  • Options
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    "Hey, we need to upgrade this UI That we've been putting off for a couple years."

"Is testing done? Almost? Cool."

"Howabout Monday, if all testing checks out by EOD Thursday? Yes? Cool."

God I love it when I have good, quick meetings. Lots of follow-up paperwork, but still. I'm also glad I had the foresight to put in the change request early (before I had this meeting) so that we can get the ball rolling ASAP.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ugh

People need to do a thing. My office says "let's continue to do A because that will leave the least amount of hiccups for X Y Z reasons". The other office says "no that's unacceptable you will HARM the program for Q R S reasons let's do B instead". Back and forth about it, try to get data, try to make a good recommendation that lines up with their request, end up no dice and just acquiesce anyway. We receive approval for B. Two weeks ago. They now say "this is unacceptable for X Y Z reasons".

We, literally, tried to tell you that, but you wouldn't listen. And now it's actually too late, so for at least the next week or two you're stuck with B and that's the fact of the matter.

Guess we'll see how this inevitably blows up.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Icing my hands seems risky in this day and age. Then someone might mistake them for cake.

The real cake was inside you all along, smof.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tendonitis is super likely and the good news is that it’s fixable but the bad news is that it usually requires rest. I’ve always found sports tape does wonders but that’s been for leg stuff, I dunno if you can sports tape your hands, plus it does restrict your movement.

@Brovid Hasselsmof I have a good taping routine for tendon support and some good links for cheap places to get good tape from if you need it

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So I've just experienced my first headhunting/unsolicited recruitment attempt through LinkedIn and I'm not quite sure what to do because I am very happy in my current job. My gut (and cursory internet research) says I should respond and at least have a conversation with the recruiter, for nothing more than to establish that networking relationship. Anyone have any advice/experience they can share?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    eh
    only if it's a) a company you might genuinely be interested in, and b) looks like an actual good faith attempt at recruitment and not just someone casting a wide net and seeing what they can scoop up

Talking to the recruiter certainly won't harm you at all but it might well be a massive waste of your time, in my experience it's rare that linkedin-based headhunters qualify as useful members of society.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My advice would be sack that e-mail off and use that time to make yourself a nice cup of tea

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

The real cake was inside you all along, smof.

Often, yes

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice Tynic & Solar.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.