As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I brought my old keyboard in to connect to the laptop dock. Good news, it works great! Having a numpad makes it much easier to accurately type library card numbers being dictated over the phone.

The bad news is I forgot what a chunky old multimedia monster this is.

ytyfgfevv2a7.png

It looks like I'm trying to hack the Gibson every time I type an email, and I'm afraid it's going to start roaming the workroom at night devouring smaller, weaker keyboards.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    eh
    only if it's a) a company you might genuinely be interested in, and b) looks like an actual good faith attempt at recruitment and not just someone casting a wide net and seeing what they can scoop up

Talking to the recruiter certainly won't harm you at all but it might well be a massive waste of your time, in my experience it's rare that linkedin-based headhunters qualify as useful members of society.

I would have agreed with this post 100% like a month ago but I did get a new and (so far) pretty great job through a linkedin headhunter.

But I still agree if you are "very happy" in your current job that even humoring the recruiter is likely a waste of your time.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Tendonitis is super likely and the good news is that it’s fixable but the bad news is that it usually requires rest. I’ve always found sports tape does wonders but that’s been for leg stuff, I dunno if you can sports tape your hands, plus it does restrict your movement.

Brovid Hasselsmof I have a good taping routine for tendon support and some good links for cheap places to get good tape from if you need it

I don't know if I need to do anything with it, it's not much of a bother. It doesn't hurt to do things, it's only when I haven't moved my hands for a while then they get stiff and it's a bit uncomfortable to get them going again.

I guess my only concern is if I keep doing what I've been doing is it going to keep getting worse? Or will they just get used to it.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tendonitis is super likely and the good news is that it’s fixable but the bad news is that it usually requires rest. I’ve always found sports tape does wonders but that’s been for leg stuff, I dunno if you can sports tape your hands, plus it does restrict your movement.

Brovid Hasselsmof I have a good taping routine for tendon support and some good links for cheap places to get good tape from if you need it

I don't know if I need to do anything with it, it's not much of a bother. It doesn't hurt to do things, it's only when I haven't moved my hands for a while then they get stiff and it's a bit uncomfortable to get them going again.

I guess my only concern is if I keep doing what I've been doing is it going to keep getting worse? Or will they just get used to it.

Well mate you do whatever you feel like

Your fingers will absolutely get stronger and more resilient. When I'm training hard, my fingers ache every rest day, I wake up in the night and they're stiff, like claws. But then they strengthen. Only thing is; it takes time (about ten times as long as muscular strength) and so if you're looking to just ensure that they don't 1) injure or 2) hurt all the time you might want to do at least tendon stretches post work

The only thing I will say is that it is much easier to prevent tendon damage than it is to fix a damaged tendon. And if you are at work and your fingers are noticeably hurting, then they will be eased by H-taping them at the joints, which is pretty easy and quick to do, and the tape is cheap (like 3-4 quid for a 10m roll)

You're wearing work gloves, right?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My brother might have some tape from his climbing days, I'll ask him and give it a go.

• CidTheSquidCidTheSquid Registered User regular
    Three weeks until my current role ends and I transition into a newer, more exciting role... And now I'm wishing I had a month just to catch up on research papers for my new role, like woah I'm behind.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh man. The superintendent is subbing tomorrow in Spanish classes at my school. People are freaking out. It is going to be a glorious train wreck and I’m just sitting here doing the Jack Nicholson nodding thing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Well I managed to solo the takedown and stowing of three different wall-mounted promethean boards and projectors. I found many creative uses for desks and chairs and the ladder like holding one end of the board while I finished unbolting the other end. I only dropped the socket wrench while standing on the ladder and half-supporting something once. Luckily I had a second socket wrench in my pocket for just such an eventuality.

The height-adjustable mounts are heavy as shit, and I'm definitely going to feel it for a while.

My question is this: I still have two more to take down before the new Newlines get installed in their place. However, I don't have an install date yet. How close to 100% are the chances that the district will try to have in-person instruction before the eventual install date if I go ahead and take those boards down this week?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    Butters wrote: »
    You're wearing work gloves, right?

Yes, but they only really protect my skin

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I nearly tore into a recruiter today. "So you saw me, and said to yourself, "yes self, I think Turk WOULD want to move from MA to TX in a pandemic for a 6 month contract gig." WHAT?! Are you just really hoping to hit scientists that happen to be moving to texas anyway? Nothing against Texas! Just that is a biiiiiig swing there, on a gig that does not promise more than 6 months.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm getting really good at making my eyes look like they are showing concern for what a person is saying while my lower face, covered with a mask, is grinning with glee at their suffering.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    FF wrote: »
    EDU continues to crumble under the pandemic. We've been given our budgets and required goals that cut our budgets so far that it's leaving departments no option but to lay off 1 (maybe 2) staff at minimum.

I've been told that one of my staff (I manage 6) will be laid off, but I will not be told whom or why they were picked. This is all being done "to absolve me" from having to face the decision, have the rest of my staff angry at me. Except, I know my director, I know what they look at re: job performance, and how they make decisions, and I know they're looking at 2 specific people. Neither would be my choice if it was up to me.

So I know who it will be anyway, but now have to pretend like I don't, and I'm not even allowed to prepare them for the inevitable. This sucks.

Not having input from you about which of your direct reports will be laid off is tremendously ass backwards

I was in a toxic environment at the beginning of this year. It's a veritable superfund site at this point.

Huh...
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I brought my old keyboard in to connect to the laptop dock. Good news, it works great! Having a numpad makes it much easier to accurately type library card numbers being dictated over the phone.

ytyfgfevv2a7.png

It looks like I'm trying to hack the Gibson every time I type an email, and I'm afraid it's going to start roaming the workroom at night devouring smaller, weaker keyboards.

Wouldn't that help you with inventory and inventory associated problems? "My Saitek ate it" should work as an annotation.

oh h*ck
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    eh
    only if it's a) a company you might genuinely be interested in, and b) looks like an actual good faith attempt at recruitment and not just someone casting a wide net and seeing what they can scoop up

Talking to the recruiter certainly won't harm you at all but it might well be a massive waste of your time, in my experience it's rare that linkedin-based headhunters qualify as useful members of society.

I would have agreed with this post 100% like a month ago but I did get a new and (so far) pretty great job through a linkedin headhunter.

But I still agree if you are "very happy" in your current job that even humoring the recruiter is likely a waste of your time.

I have only ever gotten on a call with one LinkedIn recruiter (who had managed to actually invite me to interview for something in my industry and not energy/oil and gas/building services/HVAC)

He mentioned he had a great opportunity at a company in the area, if I was familiar with them? I said I was, because I'd been laid off from them two years before, actually!

To his credit the guy was actually embarrassed and kept me in the loop for another couple of positions until I wound up getting the gig I'm in now

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited December 2020
    Goddamn, it is only Tuesday and I am profoundly done with this week.

I hate that you can't call in fake sick these days without everyone worrying that you have Future Plague and making you get a test. I guess I can have fake graphic butt problems for a day or two, but damn. A fake fever was so much easier.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    My company does the whole "we'll hire people when we get the jobs" and then acts all surprised when there is nobody qualified available to be hired when they get the job. Then all the clients get upset with us because we're always late because people are having to split their time between multiple understaffed jobs. Our local management knows this is a problem, but they still can't get authorization to hire people before we get jobs in order to build the business, because "in these tough times we can't afford any extra overhead". This doesn't apply to senior management though, which has a whole host of VPs and assorted hanger-ons. I think the real reason is that they are wanting to maximize the company stock price and pay down the debts they took on to buy their recent set of acquisitions (including my company).

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

Numpads are so important. at my last job i had to constantly type in phone numbers, birthdays, and ssn. the geniuses in charge decided to get everyone in the state laptops to work on from home, and get rid of office space. That plan was already half in motion before pandemic, but that just sped things up. These laptops did not have a numpad, but they were touch screen. why the fuck would i need touchscreen for documenting interviews and typing DA reports for child abuse investigations, but not a numpad?! I can't even fathom how much more they spent getting touchscreen laptops instead of just slightly wider ones. but whatever, just spending tax dollars inefficiently in a state that is like bottom 5 in almost everything.

Enigmedic on
    Hey, buddy. We'll always be better than Mississippi. Even if it's only by one slot.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hey, buddy. We'll always be better than Mississippi. Even if it's only by one slot.

This is NM's mantra but the state is starting to beat Mississippi so the realm of pain awaits

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Ugh

People need to do a thing. My office says "let's continue to do A because that will leave the least amount of hiccups for X Y Z reasons". The other office says "no that's unacceptable you will HARM the program for Q R S reasons let's do B instead". Back and forth about it, try to get data, try to make a good recommendation that lines up with their request, end up no dice and just acquiesce anyway. We receive approval for B. Two weeks ago. They now say "this is unacceptable for X Y Z reasons".

We, literally, tried to tell you that, but you wouldn't listen. And now it's actually too late, so for at least the next week or two you're stuck with B and that's the fact of the matter.

Guess we'll see how this inevitably blows up.

Turns out we can do both because A = B and B = A and I want to throw my hands out a window

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

I dunno, just googled 2020 education rankings and Mississippi beat Oklahoma by one spot.

And...
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/domestic-violence-by-state

Not to mention the bonus stat in there about OK being 3rd in men killing women.

Statistically of you meet a dude from OK don't get in a relationship with them...

• UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    I had my first yearly review using my company's new frading system, and this might be the dumbest thing I've heard yet. The scale goes from 1-5, except you are not allowed to give anyone 1's or 5's. So really it is a scale from 2-4. Except 2 means "definitely on their way out already" or "already on a PIP" and there would need to be a established trace of misbehavior with managers and HR. And 4 requires several manager's approvals and at least 3 meetings to present arguments and justification for the grading.

So 99% of the companty gets 3's, and only those with overzealous managers might get a 4.

At this point whats the point?

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Ursus wrote: »
    I had my first yearly review using my company's new frading system, and this might be the dumbest thing I've heard yet. The scale goes from 1-5, except you are not allowed to give anyone 1's or 5's. So really it is a scale from 2-4. Except 2 means "definitely on their way out already" or "already on a PIP" and there would need to be a established trace of misbehavior with managers and HR. And 4 requires several manager's approvals and at least 3 meetings to present arguments and justification for the grading.

So 99% of the companty gets 3's, and only those with overzealous managers might get a 4.

At this point whats the point?

It looks like you're doing something. The main point I'm guessing is to let most employees know they are doing fine, keeping the folks that are fuckin up on their toes and reminded they fucked up, and gives some small chance to get someone exceptional a promotion or excess pay hike.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Ursus wrote: »

So 99% of the company gets 3's, and only those with overzealous managers might get a 4.

At this point what's the point?

It looks like you're doing something. The main point I'm guessing is to let most employees know they are doing fine, keeping the folks that are fuckin up on their toes and reminded they fucked up, and gives some small chance to get someone exceptional a promotion or excess pay hike.

Performance ratings really should only be like a 3-4 pt scale. "Meets or exceeds all expectations" is what 99% of workers are gonna get 99% of the time. And that's fine! It means you're doing your job and you're fine with doing your job, and you're maybe particularly good at one or two parts of your job, but you're not really screwing up anywhere.

Then you have "exceeds all expectations" which honestly is gonna be rare outside of folks who are on track for a promotion. Again, this is fine to me, because most people aren't going to be routinely exceeding all job expectations and just, like, be fine doing that and staying where they are. So if you really feel you're hitting that level, you should be pushing for a promotion, and if your job isn't recognizing that, you should be looking somewhere else, and they should know that.

The tricky part is you need one where it's like, "'E' for Effort" where you're not actually fully meeting all expectations, but you're not doing that bad that you need to be on a PIP or something. Maybe there's one particular area where you're struggling, but you're fine, it's fine, everything's fine, but we're gonna see about getting you some additional training and review again in a quarter and see how things are going. But you still get a raise because we don't want to get rid of you. Something like "Able to meet all expectations" or something.

Then at the bottom it's like "Needs improvement to meet expectations" which implies something is going wrong and we're gonna PIP you to find out what we can do to help you kinda overhaul how you approach this job and figure out where the disconnect is.

The biggest problem I have is when standard and/or cost of living raises are tied to performance. AKA how it's done almost everywhere these days. Merit raises are gone, it's all inflation raises, and most folks are lucky to get 3% annually, which suuuuuucks. And businesses don't care because it's such a buyer's marker for labor right now that when you find a job somewhere else making just enough more than you are here to be worth the jump, we'll replace you with someone at the bottom of your pay level and save that money. Like. It's just. Argh.

Eat the rich, is what I'm saying.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The rating system for my particular branch of the government is equally nonsensical: I'm rated on a scale of 1-5, but the only options are 1, 3, or 5 - you can't select 2 or 4. Literally cannot select them. They're not on the form.

godmode on
    That's odd

• TefTef Registered User regular

@Brovid Hasselsmof I have a good taping routine for tendon support and some good links for cheap places to get good tape from if you need it

Good idea, also look at fingerless compression gloves. People with arthritis use them and it will help you, too. Unfortunately the only real cure is rest, but not always practical when you need to like, earn money to live. You can go the gloves for a week, then not wear them for a week.

I really no nothing about the NHS, but if it’s not too expensive, I recommend a physiotherapist or failing that, an occupational therapist.

We talked about icing before and will definitely help if you stay diligent about it. tendonitis Is just swelling of the tendons, so ice will ease the inflammation

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    If you’re hard up for cash I’m more than happy to buy you some gloves for Christmas, too!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    That's odd

chico...

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Wrong way driver and two fatalities dominated tonights narrative.

Glad I didnt call out.

Kid. I know this is a stressful time, doubly so because college application deadlines are almost here.

But if you don't know how to find the website to go to in order to apply for a master's in data science

maybe that's not the field for you.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I nearly tore into a recruiter today. "So you saw me, and said to yourself, "yes self, I think Turk WOULD want to move from MA to TX in a pandemic for a 6 month contract gig." WHAT?! Are you just really hoping to hit scientists that happen to be moving to texas anyway? Nothing against Texas! Just that is a biiiiiig swing there, on a gig that does not promise more than 6 months.

Ask what their deal is. Is the 6 months a honeymoon period before direct hire? Is it really just a 6 month job.

If it's the latter, I say you look into it to GET PAaaaiiiid SON.

Cello wrote: »
    eh

I have only ever gotten on a call with one LinkedIn recruiter (who had managed to actually invite me to interview for something in my industry and not energy/oil and gas/building services/HVAC)

He mentioned he had a great opportunity at a company in the area, if I was familiar with them? I said I was, because I'd been laid off from them two years before, actually!

To his credit the guy was actually embarrassed and kept me in the loop for another couple of positions until I wound up getting the gig I'm in now

I think like anything else, mileage would vary with the industry and area you are searching in. After I was laid off, searching jobs with my skills led me to controls and automation engineering. Those jobs had the highest demand in my area for what I was qualified for and with that demand being surprisingly high, I got a decent amount of traction from recruiters both on and off LinkedIn.

OWA is down more people should be posting in here.

Or is it that with email down you can't fake checking email and gotta actually work?

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Paystubs went out today and heck yeah, got paid for that week of being sick and having to get covid tested & quarantined. Like I knew I was supposed to be, but everything around it was so vague I was expecting a blank paystub.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Got back to work from a week off. Found out that an issue in implementing a change caused a very, very large number of bad charges to hit our customers - but don't worry, IT backed the charges off the accounts, so they won't impact the invoice front page but will still appear on the invoicing detail. So, as long as customers don't try to actually reconcile their invoicing totals to their details, we're all good.

Godspeed service queue phone/email reps, gonna be a Long December.

New boss asked me to look into the prerequisites for AutoCAD Electrical and holy shit is there a worse knowledge base than AutoDesk's? It's just a recursive loop of useless links.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    New boss asked me to look into the prerequisites for AutoCAD Electrical and holy shit is there a worse knowledge base than AutoDesk's? It's just a recursive loop of useless links.

Nope it's awful, but here you go:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2020-including-Specialized-Toolsets.html

(this should also include electrical)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

Nope it's awful, but here you go:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2020-including-Specialized-Toolsets.html

(this should also include electrical)

Thanks but I meant software and license wise. It looks like it's just a toolset in the full AutoCAD suite and that we can't add it to our LT version.

This discussion has been closed.