As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    huh... the dumping of eggs into a water chamber to drown them as soon as they hatch is pretty dark! and efficient!

Personally, I dump mine next to a chamber that locks and floods when a critter walls in. Makes it simple to sort eggs based on needs, but does take a bit more automation.

I honestly think they should change it so that you need to wait for a critter to grow up to get the full harvest, or at least make it so that eggs can't hatch under water (unless they're species that makes sense for - like maybe you should have to keep your pacu and crab eggs immersed)

Just so there's slightly more interesting building challenges

yeah, it's a little weird that babies provide full calories. I assumed they didn't so I never killed them. Also I'm not a monster who drowns baby animals to eat them!

Some day I want to make a game where food and the production thereof by lovely rube Goldberg machines is the central mechanic....

And then make sure that any sort of horrifying factory farming baby eating well actively backfire on you

(Not out of like veganism or anything - I just think it's depressing that these styles of games degenerate into factory butcher machine, and it's be more interesting to design one where that didn't work!)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    huh... the dumping of eggs into a water chamber to drown them as soon as they hatch is pretty dark! and efficient!

Personally, I dump mine next to a chamber that locks and floods when a critter walls in. Makes it simple to sort eggs based on needs, but does take a bit more automation.

I honestly think they should change it so that you need to wait for a critter to grow up to get the full harvest, or at least make it so that eggs can't hatch under water (unless they're species that makes sense for - like maybe you should have to keep your pacu and crab eggs immersed)

yeah, it's a little weird that babies provide full calories. I assumed they didn't so I never killed them. Also I'm not a monster who drowns baby animals to eat them!

Some day I want to make a game where food and the production thereof by lovely rube Goldberg machines is the central mechanic....

And then make sure that any sort of horrifying factory farming baby eating well actively backfire on you

(Not out of like veganism or anything - I just think it's depressing that these styles of games degenerate into factory butcher machine, and it's be more interesting to design one where that didn't work!)

Never played it but I think that’s the basic premise of factorio and satisfactory

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you want to melt ice super quick, build tempshift plates out of it. I think that does lose you some mass though.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Mining ice loses mass

Never played it but I think that’s the basic premise of factorio and satisfactory

There's no food production in either game, but yes they are giant complicated machines

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Yeah, but both are about ravaging the planet, which... sorta falls int othe same yick area for me that the whole "You have created the Meat Grind O Matic ten thousand" does. It's just a personal thing/interesting mental game design exercise, is all

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I think it wouldn't work as well with ONI since this game is way more about survival than rampant expansion for expansions sake.

But there's also the fact that (lore/game spoilers):
    The tech company is the one that destroyed the earth. They were working on a source of unlimited free energy to run the printing pod, and it wound up shattering the planet into all of the asteroids.

So...you are more dealing with the aftermath of that rather than the unfettered expansion bit.

Anyone have any good guides on doing smart battery banks in serial configuration? My goal is basically 4 rows of 20 smart batteries each, with the last set controlling my on demand power sources (petro, natural gas, etc). So they only get turned on if I've burned through all other banked power.

I think I finally got something figure out, but it seems way, way too complex using XOR gates, buffers, filters, etc.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Maybe put those batteries on the otherside of a power transformer?

So that the main bank charges the batteries that are attached to your on-demand power sources, but the power doesn't balance back out.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »

So that the main bank charges the batteries that are attached to your on-demand power sources, but the power doesn't balance back out.

I don't think I explained myself well, and I can't take a screen shot at the moment. But lets try to do a diagram!
    Batteries -> |||||||||||||
    Power Cut Off -> X
    Power Conduit -> =

||||||||||||||||||||||=X==  <- Use/Fill These batteries first.
                             =
    ||||||||||||||||||||||=X==  <- Then these.
                             =
                             =
    ||||||||||||||||||||||=X==   <- These last, and when these hit 50%, they turn on my on demand power plants.

So basically, I'm triggering a power cutoff when the bank empties, to force it down to the next bank in series. If that bank empties, it goes on to the next bank, but if the supplemental power from solar and turbines fills it back up, it would bounce back to the previous bank in the array.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I started a new map up to hunt down the few missing achievements I have left to get: Locavore, Carnivore, Critter Whisperer, Super Sustainable and Job Suitability. Yeah, I probably should have gone for Critter Whisperer when I was playing around with gassy moos. They are such a pain to get, and totally not worth the trouble (But I was curious).

I cannot for the life of me get Super Sustainable and Carnivore in the same run. I had to run incubators to drive hatch er....hatching rates. Even with controls to only run for a short while each day to get the bonus, I could not get enough power without coal generators that early in the game.

So I'll have to do another run for Super Sustainable. But I picked up Locavore, Carnivore (On cycle 99!) and Job Suitability. I have tamed everything except a gassy moo, just haven't gotten to space yet. So just need to do that, and then do a Super Sustainable run and it's all done.

PS, I'm doing Rime again because I just enjoy it more than any other map. I'm blowing through too much water, though, because I haven't built any cooling whatsoever this time. All the heat I'm generating I'm pumping into melting ice.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Mvrck wrote: »

I don't think I explained myself well, and I can't take a screen shot at the moment. But lets try to do a diagram!
    Batteries -> |||||||||||||
    Power Cut Off -> X
    Power Conduit -> =

||||||||||||||||||||||=X==  <- Use/Fill These batteries first.
                             =
                             =
                             =
    ||||||||||||||||||||||=X==   <- These last, and when these hit 50%, they turn on my on demand power plants.

So basically, I'm triggering a power cutoff when the bank empties, to force it down to the next bank in series. If that bank empties, it goes on to the next bank, but if the supplemental power from solar and turbines fills it back up, it would bounce back to the previous bank in the array.

Power Transformers is your answer... I think.

This is all from some wonkiness I saw tried back in Early Access, but IIRC batteries on the output side of a tranformer fill before and are drained after the batteries on the input side. So all you need to do in theory is separate every bank with as many concurrent transformers needed so that all the power generated gets to the last one to make sure they fill and drain separately from each other. Furtherst one connects to the active port of a memory toggle that sets the generators off when at 50%, closest connects to the reset via a NOT gate to shut it off when full.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So Pokeshells don't drown.

This presents some design challenges.

edit: or they can just live there actually.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    So Pokeshells don't drown.

This presents some design challenges.

edit: or they can just live there actually.

It's better if they don't - you get two molts from them if they survive to adulthood.

So unfortunately this does not work as well as I hoped. Doesn't cool the coolant quickly enough to run even 1 smelter full time.

1vjb8tvrz851.png

Move to New Zealand
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you run it through an aqua tuner it will work.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    So unfortunately this does not work as well as I hoped. Doesn't cool the coolant quickly enough to run even 1 smelter full time.

1vjb8tvrz851.png

Yeah, there's a bunch of issues i can see in that system, honestly.

One is that simply put, you dont have any real cooling going on. Weezeworts do not do the job. Honestly, weezeworts are pretty crap for cooling beyond like... spot fixing of low heat output. Likewise, the Steam turbine is good at deleting heat, but it's not going to keep up with the load there. You'd need a couple of steam turbines to really delete that level of heat, and your steam turbine will dump out enoguh heat around it you'll still need an aquatuner.

Another problem is your reservoirs. There's no point in having that many unless you're trying to take advantage of how the game averages fluids - which is a good trick, but you'd need to have them all filled to the brim with oil (and pre-chilled oil at that) to really.

Do remember that oil can get pretty bloody hot, which is nice. That said, i prefer Petroleum as it can absorb way, way way more heat. You have to really try to end up with sour gas.

Going by the graphics, it looks like you have a LOt of steam in your room. More steam = bigger temp buffer. Which can be useful, but makes it harder to exchange temps rapidly. I tend to prefer to keep a pretty low amount of steam in my rooms - i suually measure by putting 2kgs of water per tile on the floor, or similar. Which is a /tiny/ amount (A tile can hold 1 ton of water, for context). Even that's a lot. You do not need a lot of steam to get results.

One final thing is that you've got a bad setup with your tempshift plates. You should get rid of the outer ring inside that steam room - all they're doing is helping to shove heat into your Insulated tiles, which is a waste.

Bigges thing though is you need more steam turbines. 2 turbines/Refinery is a good measure. And you need an aquatuner to cool them and deal with waste heat being dumped into the area.

For a point of comparison: here's the piping for my massive industrial brick.
    9D701C4271D56BD5E14A20030E0D8EBE352082F0

You can see that i've got the 2 turbines per, and that i'm using Petroleum as my cooling medium (Since it can hold a lot of heat before it flashes into sour gas). Likewise that each Refinery has it's own seprate tank and coolant loop to maximize the heat being dumped into the steam room.

It wont be visible in there, but each room is also airlocked from the outside and filled with high pressure hydrogen (10kg/t - my dupes do all their work in suits, so that's not a problem, and hydrogen keeps things nice and chilly. Plus the sheer mass of it means there's a huge thermal buffer

(Another reason to build big bricks like this is just efficiency - a single aquatuner is handling all of this, and this brick is nearly power netural. Sometimes it';s even power postive - i use temp sensors to ensure the steam stays within useful ranges)

edited August 2020
    Two metal refineries can overload two steam turbines in my experience. I would go with 1.5 steam turbines per refinery if you want to be able to have 100% uptime on the refineries.

Edit: And when it comes to tempshift plates, they will dump heat diagonally - so you're pushing heat energy into the surrounding insulated tiles. I always keep a one tile border between insulation tiles and tempshift plates.

Nova_C on
    I have unlocked every achievement, which means I am now ready for the DLC.

But it's not like I've stopped playing, oh no, and have started a new colony on Volcanea. Holy BALLS.

I'm surrounded by 1000 degree obsidian on three sides, and there's a steam vent right above me. It was a mad race to get some insulation to save as much of the starting biome as I could. Even the insulated tiles are heating uncomfortably high.

I want to turn all this energy into power....

There is a cool slush vent right beside the steam vent.

That seems useful.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Oxygen Not Included Spaced Out! Coming to Early Access!

With that, we are excited to announce that Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! will enter Steam Early Access on December 8th! The starting price for the DLC will be $14.99usd and will require ownership of the base game Oxygen Not Included. The final launch price has not been determined, but will likely be higher to reflect the growing size of the game.

Once again, thanks for all your feedback and excitement - See you on December 8th!

Oxygen Not Included Spaced Out!
    The Duplicants are back again, and this time they're ready to rebuild their colonies from the mysterious remains of a planet torn asunder!

In Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! you'll spearhead space missions to new and undiscovered Planetoids, transport resources between bases, and manage multiple worlds on the fly to build a megacolony that not only survives, but hopefully, thrives.

New Multi-World Gameplay
    Put your colony management skills to the test by juggling the needs of Duplicants in multiple colonies simultaneously. Switch between planets in real time and secure rare resources on other worlds to supply your home base.

Expanded Rocketry
    Customize new modular rockets to your liking, then explore the expanse of space with the newly overhauled Starmap. Huge expansions to the Research Tree provide new mid-game Rocketry options, giving your Duplicants an edge in the asteroid space-race.

New Critters
    Get acquainted with some new fuzzy friends - if you're nice, they might help you out around the colony!

New Resources, Biomes, Tech and More:
    Tons of new biomes to explore, tech to research, and resources to mine. There's a whole new universe out there - discover it all in Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out!

I got into the beta early, so i'm trying it out. Brothgar's got a good summary to across multiple videos.

It's uh, it's VERY different. And pretty hard starting location, relatively speaking.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If someone hasn't managed to get a base anywhere close to the surface, never mind space travel, I assume this is safe to leave alone for a while?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    If someone hasn't managed to get a base anywhere close to the surface, never mind space travel, I assume this is safe to leave alone for a while?

So the whole point of this dlc is to change how space interacts with your colony. Asteroid s seem to be quite a bit smaller, and they won't offer you nearly the same variety of resources. Instead, your expected to create and maintain multiple bases across multiple asteroids.

Also they are making changes so that it is easier to achieve space travel.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can barely achieve oil. I have some distance to cover.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    I can barely achieve oil. I have some distance to cover.

Wtihout knowing what's going wrong getting to oil: It's a lot more doable than you think!

Though it's also map depednant. Breaking into a cold oil biome is a lot more doable than a hot oil biome, though defrosting frozen oil is a pain.

In one case i had a world with a frozen core where there was a break in the abbysalite between the core and the oil biome, so there was a slowly growing Oilice pyramid as the core attempted to freeze the planet. that was fun!

---

Some of the changes int he game include adding Oxygen masks which act as an early way to let your dupes breathe wherever you feel like, Plug Slugs, a critter that makes electricity for you, critters that tend to plants, there's a lot of stuff that once mastered will make the game easier.

Honestly, i'd say jump into it. I'll probably be streaming ONI soon so i can explain what i'm doingand why too, if that helps!

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    if you get the expansion is base oni still going to be available? i would assume so, but i'm not very good at oni so i still feel like i have more to do in the base game, but i think it's great and i'd like to support them.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    if you get the expansion is base oni still going to be available? i would assume so, but i'm not very good at oni so i still feel like i have more to do in the base game, but i think it's great and i'd like to support them.

At the moment you can toggle access.

Honestly, my instincts day that in the long run this will actually make the game easier to pick up. You'll likely be able to be way more focused in your base building, which will cut down on problems - a heat flood might kill some dupes and even wipe out an asteroid, but you'll have multiple bases to fall back on.
    Plus stuff like plug slugs really make the game easier early on

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    my problem is always as the base gets bigger travel times get so long that i can't ever get anything done, so yea maybe multiple smaller bases would be easier to handle.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Same here. I get the core built out but then it becomes a slog to get any project done before I've identified the next thing to get done. Never get to oil.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    Knight_ wrote: »
    my problem is always as the base gets bigger travel times get so long that i can't ever get anything done, so yea maybe multiple smaller bases would be easier to handle.

So, that might be a problem with your dupes priorities. It's worth doing some research on how the priority system interacts. I also suggest turning on the "do things that are local to you" flag, because that really freaking helps and saves your dupes from being super dumb.

Dupe's speed at a task is also connected to it's skill in said task. So i tend to outright ban dupes from certain tasks - I have one dedicated chef/decorator, for instance, and every other dupe is banned from those tasks. Likewise, i ban anyone who's not trained in animal handling from doing animal handling things. Partly because a trained animal handler is faster... but also because in the case of Animal Handling, the Grooming buff they give your animals lasts way way longer.

Beyond that, this is why i invest in gyms for my dupes early, and force them to spend yonks just running on wheels. Dupes skill up when they're doing tasks, and the hamster wheel skills a dupe in both Athletics and Operating. Net upshot is some very, very fast dupes (And, of course they get a ton of skill points which is v. useful)

Late game (Read: as soon as i can get the plastic production up and going) i make sure i have built a proper network of pipes to ship my dupes around.

In general though, specialization really helps.

Every dupe benefits immensely from Athletics. Strength is also good for basically every dupe type. The more they can carry, they more they can do. Beyond that... i specialize my dupes into Diggers, Builders, Haulers and Operators as my main selection, and have things like the odd Researcher (who becomes an Operator/Spacepilot), a Decorator/Cook. Haulers get trained in plumbing as well, i usually have a dupe or two who knows how to do doctoring, i have specialized animal handlers who tend to act as haulers when they're not needed for animal tasks. etc

New dlc is obviously going to change this up massively (The need for rocket pilots as a dedicated role, for instance), but hopefully that helps.

---

To create a gym - Create a small room that has Hamsterwheels hooked up to lightbulbs, and set it to high priority. Ban new dupes from doing anything but operating, and ban existing dupes from entering the room from the door (make sure they can exit though!). Done right, your new dupes will spend all their time they can running on the wheel. With some clever use of wiring, you can have this system output all that excess power into your base, which is v. helpful.

---

So right now we know that transport between planets is achieved in two ways

One: Some asteroids have teleporters linking them together, that allow dupes to move between the linked asteroids. Likewise, there are warp facilities that can move fluids, materials and gasses between asteroids.

The second method is rocketry, which is available way way earlier, and is a lot more complex - you can, for instance, deploy robots to do work for you to prep an asteroid for dupes landing on it. Rockets are also their own biome now, so you can (and have to!) create mini-bases inside your rockets to shelter the dupe(s) as they fly between the stars.

I'm not yet aware if you can have automated rockets that do not rely on dupes. My guess would be "yes".

There may yet be further methods to move around, we'll see.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I hadn't thought of dedicating training to skills. That's brilliant! Thanks for the recommendation.

I hadn't thought of dedicating training to skills. That's brilliant! Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome.

@CaptainPeacock
    F2BE4C2BF96A042A9905F36B93A3D8380D39A841

Here's a picture of a gym in a previous base. I havent got a pictre of the wiring, but it's set up so the wires connect to the lightbulbs and also to that smart battery. That inturned plugs into a power transformer... which you'll note is facing away from the gym. Why? Because of how i've wired things up, this ensures all the power generated in the gym constantly drains out into my main base. (Which in turn has all it's other power generators set up so they only run if the wheels aren't providing enough)

That part isnt striclty speaking necessary, yu can just wire each one to a single lightbulb, but it's a lot more useful to do it this way, as you're not wasting the massive amounts of power this outputs.

Also, tip: If you're building battery banks, build them out of Smart batteries. this is because smart batteries leak the least power every day. So they rapidly "pay" for themselves due to this.

I've definitely gotten on board with smart batteries and using automated wiring on my coal power to make sure they don't burn needlessly. Also started experimenting with sensors so that power to lights over the science and power stations are only turned on when someone walks into the room.

I have one concern with Spaced Out.

Well, 2.

First one is after a thousand hours in ONI, how hard am I going to find adjusting to the new parameters? Probably not much, but I have a way about how I start my bases and there will probably be an adjustment.

And the second: I have A THOUSAND hours in ONI. 1,000. I managed to break free of its hold and now they release more content? Klei, I am but one man!

edited December 2020
    I streamed the new dlc for a bit. The early game is definitely different.

Still, a start to things.

The Zombie Penguin on
    The Base game codebase has now merged with the Out of Space codebase. So even us plebs that havent bought the DLC get new stuff/rebalanced:

QiwcZ8N.png

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I've started a couple of games, and I need to get better at juggling responsibilities/ building my base more efficiently.

I don't quite understand how the piping system works, but I never really have a large enough supply of water anyways.

What's giving you grief about the piping system @Fencingsax

In general the best way to think of it is that water always wants to go from an entry point to an exit point. Trick is that things like bridges count as entry points and exit points (...and due to funkyness in the code, they also "teleport" things between them, but htat's more useful for avoiding temp exchange).

So if you put some water in a loop of pipes it can cycle infinitely around if there's a bridge in it. Or a loop that goes from the exit of a Liquid storage container around to the entrance. If you look at a lot of people's builds online you'll see them use Liquid storage for exactly this purpose (They also make useful temperature buffers, as any water entering the liquid storage has it's temp added otthe storage and then averaged out, which can really help keep things chilly or hot depending on your needs. You can also comically abuse this with germs - Fill up three liquid storage containers with whatever your germy medium is going to be. Make sure it's all germless when you do this, then link them up daisy-chain style. Feed your germy water into the first one, which will probably get pretty germy fast... but your second wont be too germy, and by the time the germs hit the third one, there's such a small amount they die instantly. Immerse in a chlorine gas environment for even better results - now you can use your Dupe's pee to make them coffee!)

Actually, that's one trick - by setting up a loop connected to the automated plumbing toilets, it's possible to get out more water than you put in. Given it comes out as Germy polluted water this might seem bad, but you can recycle the germy water through a liquid sieve to get clean (But still germy) water you can use to flush the toilets again, and the excess can be fed to various crops or even used to produce oxygen at the cost of a little power (Dump the polluted water down in a long, wide trench and have it evaporate into polluted oxygen and then get filtered... this also makes clay for you out of sand, and clay's valuable)

Gasses also obey this logic, though if you want to cool things/heat things, it's better to use liquids to do things (Still, it can be nice to chill the oxygen out of a SPOM or similar)