As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    New boss asked me to look into the prerequisites for AutoCAD Electrical and holy shit is there a worse knowledge base than AutoDesk's? It's just a recursive loop of useless links.

Nope it's awful, but here you go:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2020-including-Specialized-Toolsets.html

(this should also include electrical)

Thanks but I meant software and license wise. It looks like it's just a toolset in the full AutoCAD suite and that we can't add it to our LT version.

Ah lol yeah good luck finding anything for that. Probably going to have to call and speak to a sales person and deal with that whole nightmare.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Great. One of my key minions is going into quarantine for two weeks, which means I'm working this Saturday.

On the bright side, it means I get to go home and ride out a cold rainy Wednesday in the comfort of my own bathrobe.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    I nearly tore into a recruiter today. "So you saw me, and said to yourself, "yes self, I think Turk WOULD want to move from MA to TX in a pandemic for a 6 month contract gig." WHAT?! Are you just really hoping to hit scientists that happen to be moving to texas anyway? Nothing against Texas! Just that is a biiiiiig swing there, on a gig that does not promise more than 6 months.

Ask what their deal is. Is the 6 months a honeymoon period before direct hire? Is it really just a 6 month job.

If it's the latter, I say you look into it to GET PAaaaiiiid SON.

Were I unhappy with the area and unattached, maybe. Especially to make bank in a cheaper area. But things are pretty good here, so not looking to uproot that hard. That person exists, maybe, but there aren't many. And something tells me this ISNT a get paiiiidddddd kind gig.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So my QE team killed a release we were supposed to have today, because they found an issue while smoke testing in the pre-deployment environment. The QE lead sent me a note that was all, "I'm so sorry, we found this issue, and we decided not to release, and ..." and I just, all ...

Mountain_Man_Nod.gif

Like, that's why we have you, QE team. Ya done good; you stopped dodgy code from making it into production.

I think maybe our QE team lead has worked in environments in which pausing a release was highly frowned upon.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Had an interview today, went well. But the first rounds always go well, I have that part down pat. Sigh.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So my QE team killed a release we were supposed to have today, because they found an issue while smoke testing in the pre-deployment environment. The QE lead sent me a note that was all, "I'm so sorry, we found this issue, and we decided not to release, and ..." and I just, all ...

Mountain_Man_Nod.gif

Like, that's why we have you, QE team. Ya done good; you stopped dodgy code from making it into production.

I think maybe our QE team lead has worked in environments in which pausing a release was highly frowned upon.

Half of QAs job is acting as a stress relief valve for the rest of everyone in the build chain. We usually take all the fault for everything other than outright deployment failures. Can't count how many times I've had to carry the blame for a missed deadline because I found show stopper bugs right at the end of a testing cycle right before release. Yes it's clearly all my fault for finding this defect someone else created via poor spec or code

Sleep on
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I have zero tolerance for management that is all, "Deadline for quality to be done is X; also release date is X."

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So I've been giving pitches to each unit at work about the project I'm in charge of, getting them all on board. So far I've done 5 and had all 5 sign on and 4 of them reached out to my boss to say the new guy is really good at this and otherwise compliment me greatly.

Next week I'm presenting to Engineering. Engineering contains the Comp Sci department and all of the people who complained about the fun project in October and who make our lives hell. The guy specifically I'm pitching to? The Wizard Hater.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well obviously the presentation must be wizard themed.

Tox wrote: »
    Kid. I know this is a stressful time, doubly so because college application deadlines are almost here.

But if you don't know how to find the website to go to in order to apply for a master's in data science

maybe that's not the field for you.

I get tickets for this all the time. Just yesterday I got a ticket from a guy teaching some courses next semester in a technical field reporting a "Suspicious email" that had broken English and called him Professor when he claims he wasn't a professor and seemed to be asking for a job that didn't exist.

Checked it out, in our publicly available and absolutely available to teachers directory. Email was sent from an internal address belonging to a graduate student. Person who reported is listed in our system as a professor (I mean hes teaching courses so yeah), and in fact I can easily see the student's listed country of origin which isn't the USA. Guy is teaching computer and statistics courses but couldn't figure out how to look names up, or even put two and two together on graduate students sending out mass emails looking to pad their resume with TA positions. I mean, he hopefully gets it now and I'm sure he'll get like 30 more in the next month.

3clipse wrote: »

I suggested this and my boss has asked that I please wear normal, non magical clothing.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

I suggested this and my boss has asked that I please wear normal, non magical clothing.

At the start, right?

And then you put on your robe and Wizard hat.....

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm so proud of my past self!

We have this issue that we needed to open a support ticket with Microsoft for. Basically we're doing some local printing shenanigans, that their latest Windows Updates broke. So I'm asking Microsoft how to be security compliant while still printing text to a file on the print server.

I wrote up a 2 page long problem document explaining the expected behavior, what broke, and what workarounds we have put in place.

Today, the tech was like "I need to understand your environment better - can you draw a flowchart?" And I reply with "Well actually, I have this one from a few years back..."

And yup! It was exactly what they needed. It won't exactly be easy to figure out how to pull this off going forward, but they are gonna try. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I am not sure how I feel about the lead Dev at my new place being also the CEO

On the one hand, I like him, and all the Dev team, and they are all friendly and helpful and do a good job

On the other hand they are IT can't be trusted, the lot of em

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I am not sure how I feel about the lead Dev at my new place being also the CEO

On the one hand, I like him, and all the Dev team, and they are all friendly and helpful and do a good job

On the other hand they are IT can't be trusted, the lot of em

Looks like you've just found yourself an arch-nemesis.

steam_sig.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bad choice in an arch nemesis, he's really nice and likeable

One of the other Devs told me in my meet the team one on one call with him that he would "follow that man into hell" I shit you not, his exact words, and how often do you hear that about a platform developer/CEO?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    As IT, I make no qualms about the fact that I can be bribed with donuts.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Man oh man has today been a day, and I have only been at work for 3 hours. It started with an email from the owners explaining how they plan to do something ridiculously stupid for groups. I will spare you all the details but the consequences are staggering. It manages to ruin the therapeutic value of group, screw our clients over schedule wise, and massively increase the therapists work load all in one move. All of this was supposed to happen Monday. Our office flipped our shit as a result. I have been happily ignoring what they asked me to do for a while now in the interest of better therapeutic outcomes, but this was not something I could work around. I am also only working here for another week and a half so that's where it gets fun.

Everyone was in agreement this was monumentally a stupid idea. They also agreed to at least be willing to voice being upset, but worried how much we could push back. I decided to take a moment to not so much poke the bear as take a big steaming shit in its mouth. I broke down all the ways this was a terrible plan, would hurt the clients, and screwed over its staff. I ended by saying it was absolutely not going to affect any group I was going to run. I made it plain that my license would absolutely not be attached to any of this monumentally awful plan, but typed up to be a little nicer to make it all seem professional at a glance. I also gave the clinical director a heads up that I was going scorched earth and you might want to make plans for me to not be there tonight.

The last few hours have been a flurry of phone calls to everyone NOT me. It appears they are suddenly extremely concerned what all their other therapists (who were willingly named in appropriate parts of the email) think about this plan, and hey what if it is only just for a few weeks? The first one pointed out they have a history of promising fixes in two weeks that never materialize, and no that won't work this time. I dunno what the second one has said yet as he hasn't gotten back to me just yet. It seems we have a wonderful shit storm of chaos because they failed to realize one person has absolutely no fear of retaliation.

I can't WAIT till the clinical director gets off the phone and talks to me. He told me to email them how I felt. I wonder how he feels about telling me to voice my opinions directly to the owners. I bet he is super thrilled with how that turned out for him. Just loves it.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Rules from a decade in mining:

Bribe the chefs
    Bribe the cleaners
    Bribe IT
    Bribe the electricians

In this ascending order of priority

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Wooo, I got a lot done today. Ever since I've been properly diagnosed with ADHD and went on adderall, things are going pretty well.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've just remembered I have a $500 WFH office allowance, of which I've spent about $60.
    Thinking about buying a mouse.

If you're spending $440 on a mouse, it better be one of those ones that looks like it was sent from the future to kill John Conner.

fvdj3i9ohcag.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited December 2020
    my problem is they won't let me buy any of the things that would actually make my job easier under that allowance, so I'm left with scrounging up bullshit
    but as the days get colder and my options for working outside the apartment get less appealing, I should maybe think about how to set up a home office I can actually use.
    Maybe I could suspend a desk from the ceiling and ratchet it up out of the way when not needed.

tynic on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Batman drove that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Bolt a monitor to the ceiling so you can engineer from bed?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    my problem is they won't let me buy any of the things that would actually make my job easier under that allowance

why not? :(
    and, what? (I'm guessing better chair, etc)

my problem is they won't let me buy any of the things that would actually make my job easier under that allowance

why not? :(
    and, what? (I'm guessing better chair, etc)

cause "it poses a health hazard" and "is against california regulations" and "we can't inspect your property for OHS compliance" ablahblooblooblah

if I want to poison myself on company time then so be it!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    A better chair is definitely something to get if you're WfH. Or even if you just, you know, use a computer a lot.

DarkPrimus on
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    A better chair is definitely something to get if you're WfH. Or even if you just, you know, use a computer a lot.

A chair is what i spent the $60 on.
    (I don't use it)

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Furnish your whole house with office chairs

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the odd arguments I heard about being an adult is are you a responsible if you have furniture not lawn chairs or sleep on the floor
    as this was a blanket argument about someone who lived off base as I felt it still was a well worded yet odd argument

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Getting 2 actually nice office chairs early in the pandemic was such a good idea. Before we just had some shitty like $30 walmart office chairs. Having something with padding made sitting in my chair for hours so much easier.

(I don't use it)

Speaking as someone currently sitting in like a $60 chair, I don't think they're that great for ergonomics and all actually.

(That's why I spent a bunch on ordering a good chair recently, too.)

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Getting 2 actually nice office chairs early in the pandemic was such a good idea. Before we just had some shitty like $30 walmart office chairs. Having something with padding made sitting in my chair for hours so much easier.

I have a nice office chair that I can use, for a time I used a camping director style chair I got at work to sit in at the computer {I will never do this again}
    It's my brother's dream to make his own office chair it was the pandemic and the fun and games of last year that stopped him. It's a certain style of chair, He would make it slightly taller and add rollers to make it

edited December 2020

(I don't use it)

Speaking as someone currently sitting in like a $60 chair, I don't think they're that great for ergonomics and all actually.

(That's why I spent a bunch on ordering a good chair recently, too.)

probably not! I can't actually fit a proper office chair in my apartment, though. I have a 'desk' which is kind of a fixed wall nook built into the side of a narrow hallway, and anything that doesn't sit basically flush against the desk will get in the way. I did a bunch of research at the start of lockdown trying to find something high quality that would actually fit in that space, and couldn't. The $60 version was a stopgap compromise to stop me having to sit on patio furniture.
    If I actually had an 'office' space, and wasn't having to work within the confines of a studio apartment, I could probably find loads of stuff to spend extra cash on. But things being what they are, my options are limited.

tl;dr I don't need to be sold on good office chairs guys, but I'm also not gonna buy one.

tynic on
    Ah sorry, I didn't realize space was at such a premium for your set-up.

yeah it's super annoying. I do actually want to buy a printer, which could definitely be expensed, but first I will have to find some kind of very clever spatial configuration for that stupid desk.

I remember thinking when I first moved in "well that desk is kind of awkward to actually use regularly, but as a place to sort files and pay bills or something, it's ok." LITTLE DID I KNOW...

• AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    yeah it's super annoying. I do actually want to buy a printer, which could definitely be expensed, but first I will have to find some kind of very clever spatial configuration for that stupid desk.

I remember thinking when I first moved in "well that desk is kind of awkward to actually use regularly, but as a place to sort files and pay bills or something, it's ok." LITTLE DID I KNOW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5lzCzXR_38

murphy bed with desk, no idea on cost, availability, or how much of that your robot minions could build for you.

edited December 2020
    That's a neat bed!

Also, anyone who has Left Behind hardbacks to just strew around as props is a real creep. Like, every book in close focus in that video is from the Left Behind series, and that can't be an accident. Because the wretched state of our world means they're actually the kind of used book that's way out of your price range if you're just looking to buy prop books by the foot. We had to get them through ILL for a while because none of our vendors could get them at a reasonable price.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm at "can I quit my job yet" levels of rage today.

This discussion has been closed.